The Children's Place

Updated March 2, 2015
2.4

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 40 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 58 reviews)

• Top managment would make last minute decisions and we would have to stay late to redo floor sets (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Wasted several long years

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

-Good benefits/pto
    -They like to promote from within, (but only because they can pay you A LOT less than an external hire-max raise for a promotion is 20%)
    -Discount of 25%, 40% during associate appreciation
    -Sales Leads are guaranteed 20 hours a week, which was nice (although they didn't receive any benefits like pto)
    -Full time only had to work 30 hours a week; my SM rarely worked more than 40 hours-so really good work life balance
    -One weekend off a month for managers
    -Some freedom with visuals.
    -Flexible with sales associates' schedules. You could get a lot of hours during the holidays and the summer if you wanted them, but during off season, but it was more like 10 hours a week for associates-the hours had to go to the managers first, and whatever was left could be split among the associates. Good about working around school/work schedules

Cons

-They recently started hiring new associates at min wage to save money.
    -Payroll was a joke. The store had to be perfect at night to close, but we were in trouble if we stayed because we couldn't be over in payroll.
    -Call-in shifts. Most associates didn't stay long/turnover was really high-which was reflected in our raises.
    -SM seemed to spend a lot (most) of the time in store on the phone and in the back office
    -Training was a joke. I was supposed to have two weeks of training...I think I got 2 or 3 days.
    -Raises are only yearly and are based on how well the store is doing-if you didn't make your Place Card and sales goals, you aren't getting a raise. If you do get a raise, the most I ever saw anyone get was .25 cents.
    -I can't tell you how many times I had to set a sale-change EVERY sign in the ENTIRE store-only for it to be switched back 3 days later. They changed sales constantly-it was ridiculous and incredibly time consuming. Plus, there was no extra payroll for those nights, and we still had to have a perfect close and be out on time.
    -Shipment...oh shipment...some days we would get 20 boxes-that's manageable...some days we would get 120 boxes and then the next day get 50 more-we had no place to put them. We also got no payroll to get through the shipment-which meant we were working on the sales floor. "Tasking" on the sales floor? You can't do that! We were caught in a catch-22-no payroll for a shipment team to process boxes....but we weren't supposed to do it on the sales floor.
    -Allocation-please tell me why we got sent 5 size runs of something that IS NOT SELLING, but got sent no extra product of the stuff that the customers want. We would sell out of shorts in mid-July and customers would be mad and walk right back out of the store.
    -Conversion...oh my God that word still haunts me. Everything was about conversion. If you had bad conversion that day, you were going to get a phone call about it. I cringed when a customer would just stand by the door, or if a person came in and out of the store multiple times because the sensor would be them up, and your conversion wold look terrible, even if it really wasn't. And when you got the phone call, you couldn't use that excuse, you just had to say you weren't doing your job, or you should have greeted more...you better never say it was anything other than your own poor customer service
    -Place Cards-I hate Place Cards, hate them, hate them, hate them. You were supposed to get at least two apps per day, and boy were you in trouble if you weren't "driving Place Card applications"...my manager would write people up over not getting any
    -Rewards program-this was not that bad, EXCEPT that you had to ask customers for the rewards program, if they didn't have that you had to sign them up, if they didn't want to you had to ask for their email and phone number...after all that you have to ask about the credit card...if it was a large transaction, usually the customer didn't care...but they just wanted to buy a pair of sunglasses they would get very frustrated
    -There are supply freezes where you can't order any supplies-we ran out of bags more than a couple times.
    -If you got a customer complaint, you got written up-didn't matter if the associate did nothing wrong or not. If a customer complained, the manager had to do anything to make it right-extra coupons, highly discounted product, etc.
    -Some of the upper management was nice, some of them were just rude-cussing out my SM on the sales floor in front of customers and associates? That's incredibly unprofessional.
    -HR is a joke. Don't complain, it won't matter.

I know it's retail and there are always going to be frustrating customers, a high workload, and odd work hours, but you can still make it a place people want to work. Maybe the incredibly high turnover for both associates and managers should tell you something.

Cashier/Sells Rep

Former Employee - Cashier-Sales Associate in Glendale, WI
    Former Employee - Cashier-Sales Associate in Glendale, WI

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

Fun environment. 20% discount ;)

Cons

pay may start at minimum wage

it's easy to move up into management

Good for a college kid.

Current Employee - Sales Lead
    Current Employee - Sales Lead

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

Great with my school schedule!

Cons

No regularity. Wish I had more benefits.

I got really luck with my management team. They are really great!

Good starting job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly, welcoming staff and management
    Good for first time retail position

Cons

Difficult to achieve expectations both in duties and sales quotas

Good experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Wilkes-Barre, PA

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

The great discount. Working with great people.

Cons

The rules change on a daily basis.

Come work in the store more and you will see how to do a floor set.

I did not like this job.

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (less than a year)

Pros

there are none at all

Cons

managers were terrible and rude

Have the skills for the job

Sales Lead

Former Employee - Sales Lead
    Former Employee - Sales Lead

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Employee discount. Great Teams. Flexible work schedule.

Cons

No payroll for work load expected. No support from upper management.

Listen to your associates feedback especially when you ask for it. Do not lump everything together all at once example Floorset, hardmarks and PPP all in the same weekend. then change it all again the next week especially during a holiday.

Kins Plaza Children"s Place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

Managers are very friendly and helpful

Cons

Not many hours after holidays, somewhat of favoritism when it comes to employees, rude customers, stealing

Randomly review the stores without them knowing so you can get a better look on what goes on daily.

Great company to work for!

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

Excellent pay, benefits, and development opportunities.

Cons

Improved work and home balanced desired.

Bring more flexibility when it comes to home/work balance.

Just don't do it!

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love the people that i work with

Cons

Low pay, non realistic expectations, No feeling of accomplishment ever. Nothing is ever complete because they change everything so often. Insurance is over priced.

Give hours. If you want things done correctly, make sure you give us the resources to complete the task.

The Children's Place Photos