The Children's Place

Updated December 15, 2014
2.2

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 40 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 58 reviews)

• Top managment would make last minute decisions and we would have to stay late to redo floor sets (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Very good experience

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

Very family friendly enviroment. I was hired as management. I loved the job, my coworkers and clientele.

Cons

The only con is having to work retail hours which can't be avoided. Also the holiday season will run you ragged but that is to be expected.

Easy and Fun

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

To start off MY managers are great. They're very helpful and care about other employees concerns. They really want you to do well so they take their time to train you. The associate discount is always a plus.

Cons

Definitely the customers, they're a challenge. Some are rude, some are nice, some just think they're superior than you. I'm nice and friendly to everyone who walks in our store, but there's no pleasing everyone. But what can you do then? Not much but continue to be nice.

Meh

Current Employee - Store Lead
    Current Employee - Store Lead

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Discount : Great if you have a child to buy for in your life, though many times it is no better than a customer having a coupon, which are easily obtainable.

- Environment: Can be a pleasant place to work, customers usually are nice and have children with them, whose antics can make for an entertaining day.

- Team: If you are lucky enough to get into a store with a good team, it can be enjoyable. Everyone knows they have a role in building the store and the camaraderie can be nice.

Cons

- Expectations: Corporate expectations are ridiculous compared to the number of hours they are willing to give. Constant floor changes and price changes, and they are communicated last minute.

- Hours: Store leads are only guaranteed twenty hours, associates are guaranteed none. If you have an open schedule and prove yourself, you can get called in for extra hours, but its not enough to live on.

- Management: The management outside of the store itself is very disconnected from reality. They often don't have a good idea of what is going on or seem to be very knowledgeable at all.

- Advancement: There appears to be little, if any room for advancement. As others have stated, associates and/or leads can be responsible for teaching poorly skilled hires placed in positions above them, which is frustrating.

- Give hours to train: With no hours to train new employees, its always a learn as you go situation. This places a serious burden on everyone.

- Hire from within: Focus on building talent within the stores before bringing in new, unproven individuals.

- Help your employees, don't hinder them: Corporate hinders its employees in so many ways. Between their confusing marketing tactics that leads to frustrated customers abusing employees to last minute notification on huge changes that must be carried out, corporate seems more focused on placing hurdles in the way rather than removing them.

Great store and prices but unorganized

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

Always have new product and good quality. The DMs are responsive and helpful.

Cons

Floor sets and their communication is not their strong suit. They expect way too many things out of you at once with out giving you the resources you need. Lots of turnover.

If you are going to pay someone to do come up with a floor set, stick with it! One update is fine, but 3 or 4 in a couple days is ridiculous!

very well

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

very clean store, informative of new product

Cons

management, fairness, lack of understanding

Crazy parents but a very fun job.

Current Employee - Cashier-Sales Associate in Taylor, MI
    Current Employee - Cashier-Sales Associate in Taylor, MI

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work with kids
    Great discount
    Good co-workers
    Great parties
    Good benefits
    Messy store keeps you super busy
    Easy register work

Cons

Only gives hours to those that been there the longest
    Low pay, lower than minimum wage
    Crazy moms and kids

Encourage equal hours to all employees not just the ones that been there the longest

Very little training, upbeat atmosphere.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Midwest City, OK
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Midwest City, OK

I have been working at The Children's Place (less than an year)

Pros

-My managers and coworkers are all cheerful and pleasant; good attitudes are abundant! Coming from food service it is refreshing to encounter customer service professionals who leave their baggage at the door and do not get wrapped up in drama!

-Awesome employee discounts!

Cons

-There was basically no training (I have not struggled to catch on- but I could certainly see some people having a difficult time with so little direction).

-If you're looking for anything close to full time, keep looking, you won't find it at The Children's Place unless you're management.

-I have years of customer service experience and I'm getting the same pay as a girl who has never had a job before.

-No commission or profit sharing of any kind for sales associates although sales associates are encouraged to upsell (why bother?)

-Maybe try doing shadowing for the first week instead of just throwing new employees on the floor.

-Give some sort of incentive for your outstanding sales associates, they are putting money in your pocket by doing an excellent job, they deserve something in return.

Okay for a first job

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

I was hired without any experience.

Cons

They don't want to take the time to train you. They expect store associates to do everything while the assistant manager does nothing.
    They have these shifts where you have to plan to be available for them, but you have call in to make sure they need you. So basically you may not really be working that shift but you have to rearrange your time and life as if you were.

Sales Lead

Current Employee - Sales Lead
    Current Employee - Sales Lead

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management experience, Flexible hours, fun co-workers.

Cons

They do not try to develop employees or promote within, Hours are up and down for sales lead, rarely receive extra payroll hours for floor-set and processing freight.

To be successful you must be a self learner because of lack of training hours... also this is not an office job you must be willing to multitask and get thing done during down times.

ASM

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

pay is ok for management

Cons

always working Holidays, Associates get few hours and no benefits. Management doesn't care about employees

The Children's Place Photos