The Children's Place

Updated September 17, 2014
2.2

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 32 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 46 reviews)

• Floor set was a week long project with a window change that usually took three people to complete (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Positive working environment and culture. Truely wants the best for Children and the people that work in the stores.

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager  in  Secaucus, NJ
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Secaucus, NJ

I worked at The Children's Place full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Strong culture, autonomous working environment in my department. Good salary and benefits. Had the opportunity to do want I loved to do with people that I liked every day.

Cons

Very poltical home office environment. Became all about the dollar. Feel that CEO was very disconnected from the field. Making decisions without transparency.

Very important to be honest with your teams.

Nice place

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at The Children's Place part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good discounts, friendly staff, clean, not over-staffed

Cons

Boring, low pay, not enough hours

Offer more incentives

Not a good job to have while in school.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Selma, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Selma, TX

I worked at The Children's Place part-time for more than a year

Pros

It was a basic retail job. Holidays and peak seasons are busy which makes hours better.

Cons

The managers did not work well with my schedule. I informed them that I was a senior in high school and could only work weekends, and early evenings during the week, but that didn't stop them from having me scheduled late getting out of work after midnight.

Don't hire people if you don't want to work with their availability.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ok place to work

Current Employee - Sales Lead  in  Pitts, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Pitts, PA

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Love the clothes, good quality. Employee discount is pretty nice. Associates work well with each other to accomplish goals.

Cons

Need to have more hours then they give for Back to School, Christmas, and floor sets. We don't have magic wands. Higher pay rate would be nice.

Stop having so many updates, especially around busy times. Things don't need to be moved 5 times in 2 weeks.

Sales Associate

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

Great Place to work, good pay, flexible schedule with school, good discount

Cons

Working holidays, not much room to move up

Too many tasks, not enough payroll to complete them.

Current Employee - Sales Lead  in  Saginaw, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Saginaw, MI

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time for more than a year

Pros

30% discount, even on top of sales and clearance.

Cons

There aren't enough hours to complete the tasks assigned.

We struggle with payroll weekly, we are currently so deep in stock that our backroom is almost impossible to walk though but we don't have the payroll to process it and we are continuously receiving 12-20 more boxes daily. The pay is not competitive with other stores, but the discounts are better. Though, if you don't have kids, the discount isn't a good enough perk to make up for the pay.

Good place to get some work experience

Current Employee - Store Lead  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Store Lead in New York, NY

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The team that surrounds you instantly becomes like a family. Depending on your store they usually work around your school schedule

Cons

Too much work for the pay that is offered. The company policies often lead to confrontations with the customers. Inconsistent hours, horrible pay.

Nothing

No work life

Current Employee - Merchandising Manager  in  Skokie, IL
    Current Employee - Merchandising Manager in Skokie, IL

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for less than a year

Pros

money is ok, and customers aren't to bad

Cons

You have to do everything

none

They have a great Brand but

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for more than a year

Pros

The customers and their children are the best. The clothes are great quality

Cons

This company needs to get their act together, Floor sets are simple and well explained but the updates to the sets are overwhelming. You set the plan and they change it and then once you correct it they change it again. You have no payroll and you work 2 openers and 2 closers plus you must meet sales goals. Who has time to make all these crazy changes and they wonder why your customers services scores are low! They want all these tasks done but give you no support, oh we did get cookies one time and a note LMBO! Pretty lame!

Run as fast as you can this company talks about a Life Balance and give you great benefits but getting to use them is tough! Always to much to do and you can only use 5 days at a time! With permission!

Excellent business. Poor place to be employed.

Current Employee - Director  in  Secaucus, NJ
    Current Employee - Director in Secaucus, NJ

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits are more favorable to the industry average. This includes health benefits, 401k, and time off. They are a leader in their specialty and have demonstrated the ability to stay there. There are very smart and hard working people running the company and at Director and Manager levels. Training employees is exceptional.

Cons

Where do I begin. Very difficult to be a happy employee. This is indicative up and down the organizational chain of commands. Walking on burning charcoal is a great example of the morale in this place. Very stressful and full of anxiety. For the past few years, upper management turnover has been very high and has caused excessive turnover at the mid level.

There is no sense of security at all and being ranked the "10th worst company to work for" by Huffington Post is being too generous. In reality, when the world sees it as bad, it's usually worse.

For the Children's Place, the phrase "Winning isn’t everything; it’s the only thing" needs to expand to "Winning isn’t everything; it’s the only thing at the expense of the #1 thing that makes or breaks companies. It's employees". It's time to stop covering the deep rooted insecurities and run the business. There is so much potential for our company and we should be looking back from a further distance.

Place more confidence in the people and let them think on their own. Creativity will come out and once again, this company will grow at the pace they should be growing at, not stagnate because stagnating keeps the stock at $50. It will be much easier to grow the business by taking care of the people who will bring you there.

Worked for The Children's Place? Contribute to the Community!