The Children's Place Reviews

652 reviews filtered by
2.3
The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 40 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 58 reviews)

• Top managment would make last minute decisions and we would have to stay late to redo floor sets (in 33 reviews)

1. Good and Bad, differs with location.

Former Employee - Lead
    Former Employee - Lead

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

Understanding managers, good working environment,

Cons

Barely trained ANYONE (even new managers), Low pay, many rude customers

Put higher value in your employees, set up a training program,

2. Sales Associate, Sales Lead, and Assistant Store Manager.

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In the store I work in, you are put into multiple roles (in my opinion) so after working there for a year or so, you know what needs to be done in most aspects of the store. That in itself was great experience for me since I am a Retail Major. My store also has a lot of workers who have been there for a year or more. That makes it a lot easier to connect with people because you've known them for "X" amount of time and makes work fun! Management is also very flexible with my college schedule, which is great and MUCH appreciated. Good discount and also bonuses for amount of credit card applications you receive. Management is also very open to new ideas and suggestions anyone has.

Cons

Not as much associate appreciation as other companies. The discount is great, but when you're a college student like me and you don't have any children to spoil, it's often pointless. Lots of visual/promotional updates that can sometimes overlap each other...if you're in management and you're there often, this can be frustrating because you end up doing "double work" sometimes. Not always opportunities for advancement. You may have to seek them out yourself rather than being "promoted".

Nothing as of right now!

3. Store manager

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits! Lots of PTO. Good pay.

Cons

Workload is just insane and usually requires the store manager to work well over 40 hours. 20-30 boxes of freight everyday. Only 2 people working in the store at most times because of lack of payroll give.

Be ready to have no life outside of work. If your a go-getter, this is the place for you.

5. Amazing, always something to do

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The store is very easy to learn about and see where clothes go. You don't have to deal with customers unless they ask for a size or at the register. Your main focus is te store and management is amazing and friendly

Cons

Some rude customers and I wish we could wear tennis shoes

None so far they are amazing at training and have great patience

6. I worked at TCP for about six months. It was technically my first job and the experience was just okay.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rockwall, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rockwall, TX

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

The pay was decent, there's bonuses that may be awarded by the number of credit card applications you are able to get during the month, and you also have a pretty good 30% discount as well as associate appreciation week that increases that which is nice. Accommodating and understanding when it came to school schedules, great managers!

Cons

Aside from the bonuses every once in a while due to credit cards, there's not great benefits. The employee appreciation is very low compared to other companies. There seems to not be very much room for advancement in the same company. The store that I worked for was also a bit disorganized and we had some misunderstandings, although management was pretty accommodating and understanding. You have full call-in shifts that you are responsible for and are an extreme hassle.

Full call-in shifts should not be a thing, more people should be scheduled on planned busy days specially when stocking is necessary, and there should be a formal platform to turn in request off days so that those and their approval/denial can be tracked by everyone.

7. Unattainable results on a daily basis. Heavy workload. Stressed to the max.

Former Employee - Store Sales Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Store Sales Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice PTO benefits for Store managers. Had stability in the position.

Cons

Heavy workload that seemed unattainable in between customers. Deadlines for floorsets couldn't be reached due to product never arriving on time. Payroll always a struggle- Expected to complete tasks but no payroll properly allotted. Poor pay for associates, only allowed to hire as minimum wage. The corporate atmosphere overtook in the last couple years from the family based atmosphere originally hired into.

SSM expected to work strenuous hours on a regular with no home balance. Stressful and tiring.

Take advice from field associates on a regular basis opposed to the home office executives. Field associates take on the work load and seem over looked by headquarters.

8. Quickly quit

Former Employee - Key Holder/Lead
    Former Employee - Key Holder/Lead

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (less than a year)

Pros

30% discount
    Cute clothes for my kid
    A paycheck, not a hateful hourly starting point.
    There's really nothing fabulous about working for this company.

Cons

Management is miserable and talks trash about the company from day 1. Literally the first day I started, my store manager just bashed the company and the employees all at once. The only reason I continued to work there, was to maintain a paycheck until I could find another company who hopefully is a little more professional. Floor set are a nightmare and change every other day. Payroll and the schedule is a joke. I know retail isn't glamorous, but I have lots of experience prior to TCP and this was just plain terrible.

Allow for more hours for a bigger staff to get floor moves done. Don't put so much pressure on your store management staff and make them hate coming to work for you.

9. Cashier/Sells Rep

Former Employee - Cashier-Sales Associate in Glendale, WI
    Former Employee - Cashier-Sales Associate in Glendale, WI

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

Fun environment. 20% discount ;)

Cons

pay may start at minimum wage

it's easy to move up into management

10. Not a bad college gig

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

Boss was friendly and always reasonable about my class schedule

Cons

Understaffed always nothing gets done and you always stay late

Hire more people so work can actually get done

11. Great place to work!

Former Employee - Peer Support Specialist in Norristown, PA
    Former Employee - Peer Support Specialist in Norristown, PA

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Staff education and trainings occurs on a regular basis. The staff is friendly and everybody gets along well. The work that I performed was helping homeless families and individuals secure and maintain housing. I enjoyed the work that I was doing. It is a great place to work at if you enjoy helping others.

Cons

The facility is small in comparison to other facilities.

Keep up the good work!