The Children's Place

Updated August 20, 2014

2.3

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 32 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 46 reviews)

• Floor set was a week long project with a window change that usually took three people to complete (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Started out fun, but got worse over time. The company doesn't get it.

Current Employee - Sales Lead  in  Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Fargo, ND

Pros

-Fun environment, friendly people
    -Have some freedom in some visual displays
    -Opportunities to grow within the store

Cons

-The company does not compensate employees for the workload they put on you.
    -Expectations from the company and district managers are completely unrealistic. They cut your hours but increase workload.
    -Was only part time but worked full time hours
    -Did the same work as the assistant managers but was paid much less
    -Constant sale sets, price changes, window changes, visual changes each week...sometimes multiple times per week

If you invest the money into your employees, you will reap the benefits. Employees will be happy, will work harder and your customers will be more satisfied with a fun environment.

Store sales Manager

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

Vacation Pay of 22 days

Cons

You can never find a good time to take a vacation. I tried to schedule an island vacation twice and had to cancel due to a new store opening and shipments too heavy to leave my team. The shipment schedule states x amount of boxes a week for the month on the monthly workload calender, then you receive three times the shipment (160) boxes a day and your store is on 167 hours a week payroll, which is 2-2 coverage, but don't fall behind the store to floor process. There is never a good time to take a vacation and feel like you can step away without coming back to twice the workload waiting for you.

There is absolutely no reason to do a huge floor set only to update it exactly 3 days after pictures are posted for corp to review, then floor set 2 comes out. My customer hasn't had the chance to see the first one. We do window changes 3 times a week and have 1/2 hour to open the store and run reports, open registers, do LOD trackers and Place trackers and sign the event. We close down the store 15 min after we lock the door to try and pick up two additional hours for Saturdays schedule (so people can eat). We need more payroll to handle the work load.

Good Manager Starter Job.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Carlsbad, CA

Pros

Good discount, good benefits for full timers, depends on manager on balancing schedule but I had a good experience.
    its a fast paced environment so your delegation as a manager come to test. If you are the typer of manager that wants to sit and chill on the computer this is not the job for you. Energetic environment with right staff.

Cons

District Managers need to ACTUALLY train their managers, they are the ones representing the company.
    not enough hours given from corporate to develop their associates.
    very part time (except for holidays)

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Store Management! Great Co-Workers!

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

The store management was very organized and makes working there super fun! The discount is great especially when clothing is on sale. The managers at the store had worked there for over 15 years and love the company.

Cons

With any retail job, weekends and some holidays are required. The pay isn't the greatest for the entry level employees, and the raises weren't that great either. They also cut the employee discount within the time I worked there. Sometimes we would have to change around the in a short amount of time (and one time on Christmas Eve!).

Great job, I enjoyed my experience there.

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate

Pros

Very good discount if you have children in your life; co-workers and management were friendly; great environment for retail.

Cons

There weren't a lot of hours to be given, some weeks I wouldn't get any hours; management seemed a little passive at times to any issues that might have arisen.

Overly stressful for management team and also sales staff

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Good pay and benefits. I've grown close to so many of my employees that I hate to see them go

Cons

We are constantly under such a huge amount of workload that we can't even service our customers or train new hires. We get no pay roll and as soon as a floorset comes out we get updates to change it and price changes. We are constantly told that we must greet, offer mesh bags, give promos and make sure your also getting Place Cards as well. You have the best members on your team so busy tasking that they can't stop or they will fall so far behind it's ridiculous. Constantly want picture updates so there's the added pressure that it has to be done and with perfection but traffic and sales aren't taken into consideration. We could make so much more money for the store if we had time to work with our customers instead we always work on only 2 coverage so your best person is working on shipment marketing or floorset while your least experienced is on the registrar...not very smart. Also management has to come up with fun neat things to send in on top of workload that show we are teaching our teams (that's great but stop throwing so much at as where it can be done with thought behind it) we are also required to have certain paperwork done everyday and monthly that management is so stressed half the time and hurting physically from the workload as well we can't be at the top of our game

Stop with all the updates...I understand the why of it...something isn't selling like you thought so let's move it and put it here and price it different. Or there has to be a way to cut back on either workload or give us more payroll so that we and be more affective. A better trained employee is more of an asset a over worked tired employee is not. You've got your top players out of the game if you care about sales then let us do what we are best at and give the customer what they need because in the end it's about them and maybe that shirt you just moved would be selling better if someone with the skill set had been able to have the time to add-on and show them all the great stuff we've gotten in

Excellent business. Poor place to be employed.

Current Employee - Director  in  Secaucus, NJ
    Current Employee - Director in Secaucus, NJ

Pros

Benefits are more favorable to the industry average. This includes health benefits, 401k, and time off. They are a leader in their specialty and have demonstrated the ability to stay there. There are very smart and hard working people running the company and at Director and Manager levels. Training employees is exceptional.

Cons

Where do I begin. Very difficult to be a happy employee. This is indicative up and down the organizational chain of commands. Walking on burning charcoal is a great example of the morale in this place. Very stressful and full of anxiety. For the past few years, upper management turnover has been very high and has caused excessive turnover at the mid level.

There is no sense of security at all and being ranked the "10th worst company to work for" by Huffington Post is being too generous. In reality, when the world sees it as bad, it's usually worse.

For the Children's Place, the phrase "Winning isn’t everything; it’s the only thing" needs to expand to "Winning isn’t everything; it’s the only thing at the expense of the #1 thing that makes or breaks companies. It's employees". It's time to stop covering the deep rooted insecurities and run the business. There is so much potential for our company and we should be looking back from a further distance.

Place more confidence in the people and let them think on their own. Creativity will come out and once again, this company will grow at the pace they should be growing at, not stagnate because stagnating keeps the stock at $50. It will be much easier to grow the business by taking care of the people who will bring you there.

Love/hate relationship with work

Current Employee - Sales Lead  in  Clarksville, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Clarksville, IN

Pros

You get to work with great people and the discount is great if you have children. Great if you like a fast paced work environment.

Cons

Company (District Manager) doesn't care about employees would rather hire from outside or past employees that quit than give it to someone deserving and qualifying.
    I also find it very odd that store management (SSM) has no say over hiring/firing of lower management (ASM/leads)

Expect to be over worked and ignored for promotions.

Current Store Sales Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Akron, OH

Pros

PTO Time, Employee Discount and TCP gives back to the communities in many ways also will buy you lunch on Black Friday

Cons

I have been a Store Manager for this company for the last three years and when I first visited this site I could not believe how many current and former employees felt the same way as I did and still currently do, I seen feedback on here from a Regional all the way to an Associate. It is so disheartening yet unfortunately VERY TRUE ... My staff and I too work our butts off every day ... Price Changes, Markdowns, Floorset, Floorset Pics, Window change, Visual Update, New Visual Update, Window Change, Markdowns, Pricing Corrections .... Oh by the way that's on 2/2 coverage while your also working the floor to the expectation of greeting, promo, mesh bag, open ended questions, follow-up and then at the wrap DO NOT FORGET to sign them up for My PLC rewards, Our Credit Card, explain it all to them and tell them about the new coupon, double points and survey on the receipt ... DO NOT even think about excusing yourself to use the restroom, to take a break or even to receive shipment because the customers do not take to kindly to it and it's truly not their fault ... I've seen several other comments on here mentioning no breaks, it's just truly sad how we can work for a company that has such great stock and yet they always cry poor ... No payroll, no training hours I have several pregnant people who never take breaks, I guess they couldn't leave the store if they wanted too never enough people in the building, but my question is "What is wrong with this Company?" This time last year I believe we had between 12/14 District Managers leave the company and 1 Regional ... I'm not sure if I've seen another company on here with so many horrible comments .... My advice to anyone that was looking for a job would be to run very far away from TCP until all the upper management changes ... There's not one day out of a month that my Regional or My DM could come in and run my storeWhat can u work next week to the standard they believe it should be ran ...And the discount is no longer any good the customers usually get the same almost everyday as well ...

I have listened to a lot of upper management speak lately and I feel as if the only one who may get it is the man at the very top, and he's just to far up to reign all his power hungry people in .... Shame on EVERYONE of you, that come into a store on a daily, weekly, district, regional visit and degrade people who work so hard doing the things you could never do, and all to make you look good!

My experience was a positive one most of the 7 years in corporate but calendar deliverables unattainable

Former Employee - Design Vice President  in  Secaucus, NJ
    Former Employee - Design Vice President in Secaucus, NJ

Pros

excellent benefits, promote from within, CEO is aware of your contributions for such a big company, summer hours are great.

Cons

very tough culture, people are not team players, managers difficult to meet with, little recongnition, very littl etraining, easy to move up within company but never given the resouces so many are set up to fail.

Upper management is mostly woman and are in the top ranks of the company bc they are all friends. There is a lot of favoritism happnening and it's a girls Besties club.

Worked for The Children's Place? Contribute to the Community!