The Children's Place Reviews

Reset
2.5
The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is pretty nice (in 40 reviews)

• great discount if you have kids (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • My advice to anyone that was looking for a job would be to run very far away from TCP until all the upper management changes (in 58 reviews)

• This company needs to get their act together, Floor sets are simple and well explained but the updates to the sets are overwhelming (in 33 reviews)

The Children's Place is great for a temporary, part time, or student.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Mesquite, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Mesquite, TX

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

The discount for the products. They have great sales and you can get great deals on children's clothes. You can move up semi-quickly, however there are extreme drawbacks with that.

Cons

The company severely overworks their employees. Hourly paid employees are frequently asked to work off the clock and managers have even changed times on employee's punches to meet SPH. The stores are understaffed and employees are expected to do the work of two or three people for minimum wage. You can quickly move up in the company, however there is inadequate training. It is obvious they do not properly investigate people before giving them a promotion. I was promoted and never received proper training. My superior had a problem with understanding anything that wasn't what she had been doing for then years. I felt like I was talking to a child everytime I used a shortcut on the computer or used a straightening technique I had learned from another store.

Advice to Management

Be more positive. Train your employees properly and be more cautious about who you hire. Remember that just because you have seniority doesn't mean no one else knows what they are doing. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE remember that good customer service and quick closes will save you money in the long run. Having inadequate staff makes for longer closes and more LP. You lose money when there aren't enough people to take care of the store.

ASM

Current Employee - ASM in Cranberry Twp, PA
    Current Employee - ASM in Cranberry Twp, PA

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

Great discount, available with all other promotions

Cons

A terrible place to work. Underpaid, overworked. Not enough hours to complete anything. Never felt so unsupported by an entire company my entire life. No focus on customer service AT ALL. The workload is at the least unmanageable all the time. I would NEVER ask someone to work for this company.

Advice to Management

Provide more hours and praise

Extremely negative experience which radically changed my opinion of working retail.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Sanford, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Sanford, FL

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

I thoroughly enjoyed the interaction with customers. This position was extremely fast paced. Every day was different. The discount on clothing helped too.

Cons

Very little to no training although expectations were high. When I had issues I felt that I had no one to turn to for guidance and/or help. This company does not have the same management style that I have. I believe in positive reinforcement not bullying or scare tactics. Way too many responsibilities to be done within the limited time frame and manpower available.

Advice to Management

Some people are more visual learners than technical so take the time to show them the correct way to get tasks done. When management is teaching a new skill be sure to show a little patience with employees.

Horrible place to work

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

Discount and benefits are okay. Part time associate hours are flexible, Management schedules are not. Interaction with customers can be pleasant at times.

Cons

Oh where do I start? Extreme workload, no payroll, horrible district manager. You are given tasks at the very last minute with zero notice. Absolutely no work life balance even though when you interview you will be told otherwise. I would never recommend this company to anyone!

Advice to Management

Get to know your employees, stop only advancing the "favorites" in the district. There is a lot of great talent going unrecognized.

Terrible company to work for

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

Knowledge of sales beforehand, employee discount ( which is only 25%), viewing new merchandise before the public, pretty good quality clothing for a good price.

Cons

Poor management, poor communication. Huge workload and no hours for associates , last minute changes that absolutely must be done which makes it hard to assist customers, upper management is very unprofessional and gossip about their employees. No promotions for people who have been there a long time, even when doing a great job. No recognition for tasks well done or job performance. Terrible benefits. All around a bad company to work for.

Advice to Management

Recognize your employees for their hard work and learn how to communicate. Plan better for tasks that need to be done and schedule hours accordingly. Stop playing favorites and treat every employee as equals.

Worst Company with no support, running around like a chicken with it's head off, disrespectful DM

Former Employee - Store Manager in Canton, CT
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Canton, CT

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

salary, nothing else comes to mind. I will never go for the money again. Lesson learned if this is the crap you have to put up with. When it came down to it I was really only making 13.50 an hour. working off the clock as expected from my DM.

Cons

No advance notice of impossible changes with few hours given by the DM then after departing giving them from 169 hours permitted to 325 hours. DM disrespectful when family emergency came up granted time off 2 weeks in advance 2 days needed then called to come in and work and not leave until ASM task was completed even if it meant all night. on my day off while explaining LP issues where occurring in her region. Nothing was done, no support terming persons I deemed incompetent and toxic to the store success.

Advice to Management

Pick wisely DSM and above. Make realistic opportunities. Support your Store Managers. Look at your turn over!!!!!! Don't promise the world of support and training and leave smiling with no intention to support. Stop the gossip with in DSM'S!

Terrible place to work, wouldn't recommend it to anyone

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Englewood, NJ
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Englewood, NJ

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

-Compensation and Benefits were fairly decent, as long as you were an hourly employee and not a salaried employee -Decent vacation time -Management at specific location was outstanding -Great promotions -If it wasn't for the fantastic store manager at the location, I would have left the first month -Decent vacation days

Cons

-DMs, RMs, ZVPs, etc. are completely rude, arrogant, and belittling to management and employees -Promotions from within are rare, normally they hire from outside of the company -They promote based on whether or not they like you, not how well you do the work -The work load is unbelievably extreme at times, with little to no payroll. Timeframes are VERY unrealistic. -Last minute changes sent via email at the end up the day were expected to be completed before you left the building, sometimes leaving the store 4 hours later than scheduled. -SSMs were expected to pull somewhere between 50-60 hours a week, with little to no help because payroll is cut so short. -Absolutely no LIFE/WORK balance, at all. All work, no life. Be prepared to see the store more than your house. -Expected to come in on days off sometimes -The communication sent out via email from corporate about store changes are almost daily, very unclear, and very last minute -DMs, RMs, ZVPs, etc. are NOT on the same page ever, all give out different and contradicting messages -The stress level at all of the stores is THROUGH THE ROOF 24/7 -Return policy is HORRIBLE. it's almost as bad as going through airport security with the amount of information you need from the customer to return a pair of socks. Employees get berated by the customers because of this extreme policy, with little to no support from corporate. I could honestly go on and on all day. I've worked retail all of my life, and I can confidently say this company is the reason that i will never go back to retail. They are THE WORST. Do not work here, the money is NOT worth it, and they treat their employees terribly.

Advice to Management

It's definitely corporate that needs to seriously reevaluate how they do things. Find something that works and stick to it, stop changing things every 5 minutes because it creates mass confusion for not only the employees but for the customers. Understand that we are only human, and not machines, and treat employees with more respect. Give out more payroll to stores to relieve stress and actually get the work done 100%.

9. Great place to work if you have children under the age of 14.

Former Employee - Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

Employee discounts are good. It was great a couple of years ago, then the company decided to raise the %. Exctiting to see children's expressions when looking for clothing/accys.

Cons

Last minute changes; e.g. 1 day sign/placement of merchandise. 2 days later, everything must be changed within 24 hrs. Not enough communication in regards to employee/mgt. action plans. No support for the store manager. Corporate expects store to be 100% on an official visit, where the priority should be focused on customers.

Advice to Management

When discussing reviews or planning visits, take time to consider the location of the store and what support you can give mgt. Remember, saying what to do behind your desks and not realizing what is truly happening in real time in stores will make you second guess your actions.

terrible manager at this location

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Monaca, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Monaca, PA

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

Great customers, easy work, most coworkers are great.

Cons

feel like my job is 't-shirt folder'. Calling off causes ww3. Manager very disrespectful to employees who have schoolage children.

Advice to Management

Just another issue where a 'bad manager' slips under the rug and is there for years. sad.

New management have destroyed employee morale.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Monterey Park, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Monterey Park, CA

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

*Able to work around your personal life schedule (school or family) *Able to move up the ladder rather easily - too easily (this should be a con and really, you wouldn't want to move up in this company) ..That's it.

Cons

*Lack of SSM (Sales Store Manager) - even though this location does in fact have a person with the title, that person might as well just be another Sales Associate. -Due to the lack of proper management (SSM, ASM, DSM), employee morale has dropped entirely and no one single associate is happy working here. We are all looking for a new job. -If you upset the 'highly sensitive' management (SSM) by calling out due to an emergency, you fear having your next week hours entirely cut : ex. 23hrs/wk to 4hrs/wk *Very disrespectful DSM who encourages our SSM to keep employees well over their scheduled hours, and if we are unable to stay longer, we then fear having our next weeks hours cut entirely. -It wouldn't take much at all to have the DSM and the SSM fired and it seems to me that I know that I'm going to have to call HR for this one. *Due to broken morale, almost all employees at this location (SSM, ASM, LOD, Sales Associates) have all turned on each other and have started to gossip about everyone; from DSM to Customers and everyone in between. -Some associates are only kept based on the fact that they are pretty friendly with the management team. Thus granting them hours that they should not be getting. These people only talk and put up absolutely no work but yet these are the same people who always b*tch about how others don't do anything. -For that sole reason I believe that certain people should have their hours cut and new people who need a job and will work to keep it should be hired. -This location is just a god awful place to work at and it feels like I'm in High School trying my best to avoid all the drama that appears. *Lack of proper training. Plain and simple; there is absolutely no training provided to any new associate. Instead, current associates make it their responsibility to teach and train new associates - A task we are not trained or paid to do. The only training that has been provided has been to the newly added SSM who even after a couple weeks of training still fails to present herself as an SSM or is able to execute simple tasks. *The company itself seem's to be loosing the respect of customers based on the policies that we are told to enforce; Company policies as well as DSM policies. This company has changed way too much and regular customers have now left us and started shopping at locations that meet their demands (I don't blame them). This company was doing exceptionally well with customer relations during 2006 - 2008 when Delivery and Execution was the top focus. In fact this location was ranked Top in the district during those years. After two new SSM's and two new DSM's, we are no longer recognized as an example of excellence and in fact seems to be loosing respect from everyone, customers and other locations alike.

Advice to Management

I have nothing more to say to TCP or the management at this location. I have tried communicating my thoughts and my professional opinions and no progress has been done. I am done with this company and await a job offer from anywhere.

RSS Feed </> Embed