The Children's Place Reviews

Reset
2.5
The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is pretty nice (in 40 reviews)

• great discount if you have kids (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • My advice to anyone that was looking for a job would be to run very far away from TCP until all the upper management changes (in 58 reviews)

• This company needs to get their act together, Floor sets are simple and well explained but the updates to the sets are overwhelming (in 33 reviews)

1. Management team was horrible

Former Employee - ASM in DFW, TX
    Former Employee - ASM in DFW, TX

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to shop if you have kids. Some great employees.

Cons

Wouldn't leave till 2 hrs past closing time which would be at 11pm when we closed at 9pm.

Advice to Management

Treat your fellow asms with respect. Especially with training in merchandising.

2. Going downhill quickly

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Eureka, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Eureka, CA

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun to see the new styles coming out and be the first to know when something goes on sale. Helping the customers find what they are looking for.

Cons

A Savvy customer can often take advantage of coupons and special offers to get a higher discount than the employees can. Constantly cutting back hours and requiring employees to do more with less time. It is impossible to have job satisfaction because the bar is set so high.

Advice to Management

Your employees want to do a good job if you can give them the tools. A restaurant has a hostess, waiter, cook and busboy all working together to create a better dining experience. Cutting back hours doesn't allow the Associate to unload freight, recover, have a clean store and do a great job serving the customers. Something eventually crumbles. Since the last hour cut came during back to school (our busiest time of year) our store has never looked so bad. I am embarassed to serve the customers that come streaming in. The store is dirty and poorly stocked. There is no time to stock as we are serving customers. There is not enough product out to sell so we are not serving them as well as we could. It is hard to care when it is clear that you do not. The policies in place are not efficient/enforced. I am willing to stick it out in hopes that it is just a bad time for the company but I don't have any hope that it will be improving anytime soon.

3. sales-floor representative

I worked at The Children's Place part-time

Pros

great hours, good contact, with people and a decent pay.

Cons

Few hours to offer.

Advice to Management

nothing management was great.

5. Cashier

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Like to work with customers

Cons

Is good just for a temporary job

6. Terrible

Current Employee - ASM in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - ASM in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesoem benefits Awesome discount, differs from most retail discounts

Cons

No time to take PTO No flexibility So many price changes and updates you can't keep up. Company pushes and pushes you to so many limits that you can't even service customers. Inconsistency from DMs. Very little response back from DMs. Harassment from upper management. HR nightmare. Your average day at TCP will consist of ringing customers, processing shipment, price changes, visual updates, 50+ boxes of freight arrives. All of this on top of 2 person coverage. Sales and coupons every day which brings constant traffic flow, which is great! But not if you get no help payroll wise go even service. DMs barely understand the challenges and constantly remind you that YOU ARE the problem and do not congratulate success, instead use shame Tactics to embarrass you.

Advice to Management

Get with it. We are all human! 2 person coverage is not enough to produce results, whether it's sales or tasks, plus maintain standards and be LP aware. 3 people coverage at all times should be the expectation! Also, allow overtime for the associates who bust it and clock out to avoid OT!!! Also..... Allow more than minimum wage so you can hire associates worth a crap!!!

Store manager

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time

Pros

Steady paycheck. Store associates act as a team.

Cons

Constant change. Retail environment means weekends and holidays. Retail stores accountable to make sales plans but company directly markets much better sales to online customers.

8. Store Manager

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time

Pros

I love the culture and comradity the store brings. The company let's you own your store and make decisions that is best for your location.

Cons

The workload is often unrealistic, causing more stress than is necessary. Many of the problems stem from lack payroll and only having two people on the clock at all times.

Advice to Management

Dig more into details about workload. I was told the workload came in on Mondays for the week, however, we often get a new project or pricing several times a week along with 20 boxes of shipment that his to hit the floor immediately. Prioritizing is key to succeeded.

9. Sales Associate

Pros

It is a fun atmosphere.

Cons

There is not a training guideline. You're pretty much thrown in there.

Former Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

Pros

The only pro I can think of is the discount, however, coupons are offered to customers frequently that are the same percentage of savings, so it isn't really a benefit of working there.

Cons

Overworked, unrealistic expectations, high turnover, CEO's bonus & salary (17th highest compensated CEO) use of sweatshops and child labor to manufacture clothing, unsafe work environment, no work/life balance, unpredictable scedule due to last minute changes dictated by corporate, people aren't valued, district level politics, I could go on....

Advice to Management

Only considering profits while making business decisions and using greed as the only motivation for increasing shareholders stakes in the company puts ethics and moral at odds with customer satisfaction.

11. So far so good

Pros

There's no 1-on-1 selling so no pressure to make customers buy things. Its a free shopping environment. You get to interact with little kids. Very easy and cute store to memorize.

Cons

There aren't really any cons.

RSS Feed </> Embed