The Children's Place

Updated January 30, 2015
2.3

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 40 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 58 reviews)

• Top managment would make last minute decisions and we would have to stay late to redo floor sets (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Good pay but unrealistic expectations

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

Great products, great sales, always new product.

Cons

Over worked, under appreciated. Not a smooth working machine. All the issues are with corporate. No traing and no time for it.

Get it together.

Neutral "OK"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of PTO & sick time available, overall good benefits.

Cons

Company likes to find ways to "cut corners" financially whether it be---not donating to ANY causes or promoting the company whatsoever, not renting a space on the shopping center marquee to advertise to those passing by that the store is even there, lowering associate pay to minimum wage, giving 20 cent (if any at all) yearly raises to store leads, etc. Then they will punish store workers for not making yearly goals when the company has put literally all of the odds against you.
    Company can MOVE you to another location if they choose & you have little to no say in it.

Better associate pay leads to better candidates for hire as well as more dedicated workers, less call outs, less people quitting for higher paying jobs, etc.
    Floor sets & updates are not relevant based on items that have moved to "sale" or are no longer in the store. Confuses associates & leaves them to decide what to put in place of incorrect items shown on floor sets.

Fast paced & challenging work environment

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

Great benefits, some great mentors, & leaders

Cons

Constant floorset updates & price changes. Heavy workload with 2 person coverage.

Exhausting

Current Employee - ASM
    Current Employee - ASM

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

Employee discount, pto, sick time.

Cons

Where to begin....payroll is ridiculous. There is no way to complete all the tasks in the given time frame. Working 2 on 2 there is no time for a break (against the law) hope you have a strong bladder because getting 2 minutes to run to the ladies room is near impossible. Constant floor set changes and price changes... No extra hours. Hang, de hang then hang again....all in a 2 day span!!! Make up your mind and stick to it.

Remember who is running the stores so you can have your nice big fat pay checks. Without us lower level employees you would be out of a job!! A box of cookies at Christmas time ( we didn't even get that this year) and a generic note telling us you appreciate us just doesn't cut it! Show us you care....read these comments and take them to heart. If I were in your shoes I would be terribly embarrassed by what is being said and do something to rectify the situation. Remember without us...you are out of a job!!!

Company is filled with heavy work load and no house to support the workload.

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

The staff is friendly and dedicated. The customers for the most part are very nice. We have loyal customers that you get to know and become friendly with.

Cons

Hours are very minimum and workload is really high. This makes your day very frustrating when you have so much workload and customers in the store. The focus of the company is supposed to be the customers but the workload expectations most of the time are unrealistic.

Be prepared to go all day with out stopping.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Store Manager in Waterford, MI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Waterford, MI

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company prefers to promote from within. Flexible scheduling for part time associates to allow for other employment if desired.

Cons

Constant updates to floorset would be my only con. Payroll is not always generous however this is the case in retail in general.

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Detroit, MI

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, decent hours, family like co-workers

Cons

Hours vary too much (one week 5 hours, the next week 30), push you as close to full time as possible if the store can, too much work, not enough hours for the store, they hire anyone and everyone, unprofessional, company is a joke, they dont care about the associates, no place for advancement, poor raises, raises depend on store not individuals performance

Co-Sales Manager

Former Employee - Co-Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Co-Sales Manager

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

The product was of great quality, it was easy to sell because it was something I believed in.

Cons

Constantly pressuring you to do more work with less and less hours to do it.

Work in a store, see how life really is.

Very unprofessional environment

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Houma, LA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Houma, LA

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very fun environment-great music to work to.
    The clothing was very well made and we always had great sales, promos and coupons.
    The benefit package and pay were inline with other retailers,

Cons

The store I worked at had some rude and very unprofessional employees.
    The workload was always heavy and we never had enough hours to keep up with it etc.

Keep a closer eye on store personnel and atmosphere.
    Allow for more hours during heavy workloads.

Very friendly work environment

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chico, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chico, CA

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

I have a great staff to work with that can always help out if you ever need a shift covered and are very friendly. And I love seeing all the cute little kids and baby's that walk through the store I can say the majority of the time you never have a dull day working here.

Cons

I have nothing but good to say about the company and my staff :)

You're awesome keep up the great work :)

The Children's Place Photos