The Children's Place

The Children's Place Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers

Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance(in 32 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes(in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired(in 46 reviews)

• Floor set was a week long project with a window change that usually took three people to complete(in 27 reviews)

Fast-Paced, Demanding Work with little to no recognition or acknowledgment from upper management - wage poor.

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe people, it is their passion and commitment that uphold the Co.

ConsNo room for advancement, Co. is reactive not proactive in all areas, no recognition unless its taken upon yourself, compensation poor if not forgotten.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop sieving money into unnecessary investments like the ridiculous weekly marketing changes that no one recognizes or appreciates - THAT JUST END UP IN THE TRASH! TRY RECYCLING SOMETHING! If you can manage to same a few dollars try to reinvest them in the associates, they have more than earned a raise or a pay increase something more than minimum wage - Burger King pays better than us!

Started out fun, but got worse over time. The company doesn't get it.

Sales Lead (Current Employee) Fargo, ND

Pros-Fun environment, friendly people
    -Have some freedom in some visual displays
    -Opportunities to grow within the store

Cons-The company does not compensate employees for the workload they put on you.
    -Expectations from the company and district managers are completely unrealistic. They cut your hours but increase workload.
    -Was only part time but worked full time hours
    -Did the same work as the assistant managers but was paid much less
    -Constant sale sets, price changes, window changes, visual changes each week...sometimes multiple times per week

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you invest the money into your employees, you will reap the benefits. Employees will be happy, will work harder and your customers will be more satisfied with a fun environment.

Great job if you like working hard with no appreciation

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)

Prosextreme weight loss due to stress

Conscompany values, upper management, store organization, promotional opportunities, EVERYTHING

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is a TERRIBLE company to work for. Stores are given very little payroll...so little that it is just 2 associates all day. Then the store is expected to handle constant floor changes and updates, price changes every other day, all while training new associates and handling rude customers with their unruly children running through the store destroying displays. There is ZERO opportunity for growth in the company. Upper level management hires incompetent store managers and then refuses to handle the situation when the store manager is not performing. Instead of owning up to the poor decision, the blame game comes into play and fingers are pointed at everyone but the cause of the problem. You will work your butt off day in and day out, work ridiculous hours and then get zero appreciation from upper management. During store visits, you will not get any complements, only a huge list of things that are wrong...that's if the visitors even acknowledge your unworthy presence. Corporate sets ridiculous goals for the company credit card and when your team actually does meet the goal, the next month is set even higher. Again, no "thank you for your hard work. you did a great job." Instead, it's just "more, more, more." My advice to management: try living off what you pay your employees and when you can't afford to take care of your families, then re-evaluate how you do business. Or better yet, just close up shop and jump off a cliff. Then again....corporate hasn't listened thus far, so this was actually just a waste of my time.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Neutral

Sales Lead (Current Employee) Niles, OH

ProsStore discount was great .

ConsMake sure you can handle a lot stress

Stay away

Merchandise Planning & Allocation (Former Employee) Secaucus, NJ

ProsThe people are great and try to make TCP a fun place in order to cope with the huge amounts of stress and high expectations.

ConsUnrealistic expectations. Every man /womanfor themselves culture. No teamwork or assistance from managers. Obscene amounts of work. No training. Extremly stressful environment. 0 appreciation for work done or the amount of work it takes do do all of their ad hoc and side projects. Stay Away!!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue. It isn't worth pinching every penny when your entire staff is unhappy. Learn to treat your employees with some respect and appreciate them for their contributions instead of constantly pointing out their failures.

Nice place to work

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Huntington Beach, CA

ProsOpportunity for advancement and good employee discount. Flexible schedule, great for mothers and college students. Management cared for employees and were always listening to concerns.

ConsDemanding and constant changing of marketing, displays, and floorset with tough deadline expectations. Daily sales goals and somewhat pushy on customers having to apply for store credit card.

tcp ptsd.

Sales Lead (Former Employee) Lake George, NY

Proscute babies smile at you sometimes and its a great environment for people who need to be doing something all the time. some of the clothes are really fashionable.

Consi literally had ptsd symptoms after working at this brainwashing consumer monster. i worked there for 9 months total.
    being an associate was great, work load was manageable, but i worked very hard to get a promotion and i was offered way less money than i deserved for all the work you really have to do as a sales lead, and no one had time to train me. i couldnt get hours, even as a keyholder. i worked in an outlet and so there were a lot of "vacationers" who were rude and never enough staff to deal w the amount of customers. poorly trained management and everyone bears the pressure from corporate to reach unrealistic sales and conversion goals. the worst part was the emphasis on the rewards program and place credit card, which we are pressured by management to use ruthless methods to obtain. so many girls would come in and work one day, and never show up again. policies are constantly changing and hard to keep up with. i was depended on way too much, even as an associate. and the music will literally make you crazy.

Corporate America

ProsThe people are friendly. The location being in NJ nice to be away from the busy city. Good benefits. Started the star awards to recognize people who deserves it.

ConsCommuting to NJ, in rush hour is not easy. Health benefits has decreased over the years. Difficult to move up within the company ladder so not much room for growth.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

The worst company to ever work for.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

Pros-Deep discounts on merchandise
    -Actual job is easy

Cons-Poor upper management
    -Lack of recognition
    -No opportunity for personal growth

Advice to Senior ManagementThe quality of the work enviornment depends directly upon the management, which goes constantly unchecked. They hire store managers from outside of the company, who are untrained and ill-equipped to do their job, and then rely on assistant managers to fill in the gap. Meanwhile, assistant managers who have been with the company for years, and virtually run their stores, get constantly passed over for promotions and recieve no recognition. District managers are increasingly self-serving, withholding information from associates, and offering false information and hope on future promotions. They hire friends in important positions, that don't do their job, and usually don't last more than six months. In one year, my store went through over FOUR store managers. Their is no work-life balance with store managers demanding coverage for on-calls with less than ten minute notice, unbalanced scheduling, and setting unrealistic demands for the team. The management is EXTREMELY unproffessional, with the constant gossip of other associates and managers. Assistant managers do more than Store managers, for a fraction of the pay and recognition. Associates recieve no recognition for their hard work and are forced to sacrifice more than upper management.

I did not like working here

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Scarborough, ON (Canada)

Prosfun environment, alot of kids, busy, and interactive

Consvery low working hours at least at the scaborough town centre location (Toronto, Canada), I worked there for two days until I found a better job and they never paid me. I contacted my manager, HR, and payroll and they said they will fix it "as soon as possible" which is ridiculous if you ask me. Also its long hours on your feet and large work load. They hired alot of employees and only gav each sale associate 3 hour shifts.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate payroll and make it more organized, give employees more working hours and relieve the workload

Worked for The Children's Place? Contribute to the Community!