The Children's Place Reviews

670 reviews filtered by
2.3
The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 40 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 58 reviews)

• Top managment would make last minute decisions and we would have to stay late to redo floor sets (in 33 reviews)

1. Great place to work in, depending on the department. Go for Store Operations, the best.

Current Employee - Merchandise Allocator
    Current Employee - Merchandise Allocator

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

Great benefits and fun place to work with. Coworkers unite together to make the best of your everyday experience.

Cons

Toooooo much micro management. Each department is its own little company, running completely different than the next.

Advice to Management

Look down below at the minions, you were there once.

2. patsy board member in it to make buckets of cash before company is sold

Former Employee - Management in Secaucus, NJ
    Former Employee - Management in Secaucus, NJ

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

employee discount on clothing (terrific if you have children)

Cons

everything is wrong with this company...poor executive management, uneducated, unsophisticated mangement in positions they are not qualified for.

Advice to Management

think outside of the box

The Children's Place is great for a temporary, part time, or student.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Mesquite, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Mesquite, TX

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

The discount for the products. They have great sales and you can get great deals on children's clothes. You can move up semi-quickly, however there are extreme drawbacks with that.

Cons

The company severely overworks their employees. Hourly paid employees are frequently asked to work off the clock and managers have even changed times on employee's punches to meet SPH. The stores are understaffed and employees are expected to do the work of two or three people for minimum wage. You can quickly move up in the company, however there is inadequate training. It is obvious they do not properly investigate people before giving them a promotion. I was promoted and never received proper training. My superior had a problem with understanding anything that wasn't what she had been doing for then years. I felt like I was talking to a child everytime I used a shortcut on the computer or used a straightening technique I had learned from another store.

Advice to Management

Be more positive. Train your employees properly and be more cautious about who you hire. Remember that just because you have seniority doesn't mean no one else knows what they are doing. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE remember that good customer service and quick closes will save you money in the long run. Having inadequate staff makes for longer closes and more LP. You lose money when there aren't enough people to take care of the store.

Good product, but wrong senior management.

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager - Distribution Centers
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager - Distribution Centers

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

Benefits and some mid management people.

Cons

Very much into who you know, not what you know. Very clickish.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. It is very disconcerning when upper management's conduct breaks all the rules and policies that they have created. It is also management responsibility to train employees, regardless of job title, in the area that they are going to be working in. Exposing them to the people and tools that they would be working on a daily during the first two weeks of employment would help significantly in that employee transitioning successfully into his/her role.

Training needs to take a priority in talent development. When it is treated as an after thought, the company and the employees will suffer and morale and job dissatisfaction will occur.

6. Hours are flexible, good quality clothes at a good price. Can be hard to get enough hours. Good as a part time job.

Former Employee - Sales/Cashier in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales/Cashier in Denver, CO

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

Employee discount, flexible hours. Nice clothes at a good price.

Cons

Too much work not enough time to do it. Opening deliveries, stocking inventory, restocking the floor, folding clothes, markdowns,helping customers, cashiering and too many floorsets where inventory is moved around.

Advice to Management

Put wheels on display tables and counters to make moving them easier. Fewer floorsets. More paid time for training employees. Update computer system to show which store has items available in stock when your store is out.

Hard, but good first job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

good hours
    nice people
    fun to be around children
    good first job; helped me get interviews and an even better job with stores that wouldn't give me the time of day without any experience in retail.

Cons

messy back-room
    no training
    takes 2 to 3 hours to clean up store after close
    lots if folding
    only got a half-an-hour break when working from 3pm-9pm(close); the problem is we end up staying after close cleaning for hours that by the time we actually stop working; i have worked enough hours for a 1 hour break, which we never seemed to get.

Advice to Management

Managers were really nice, I got hired right on the spot even though I was going on vacation the next week (they gave me the time off) They were all friendly and helpful and I am very glad they were my first bosses.

Terrible Management

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

Encouraged talking to customers and gave me time off for a vacation during my summer part-time job here. Clean store, not to much janitorial work involved.

Cons

In one summer, we had 3 different managers. They can't seem to find workers that don't want to sit around all day and gossip!

Advice to Management

The senior management does a good job overlooking their district, however, store managers need to help out in the store when needed!

Squeaky Wheel Gets the Oil

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

Most of the middle management people are great and really care about the company.

Cons

Sr. Management is mostly clueless and they have hired some real losers in the past 18 months.

Advice to Management

At a time where there is talent in the marketplace, hire some people who can add value to the company.

Great place to start a management career.

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

Friendly, fun environment; excellent training program; fairness in pay rate; supportive management team;

Cons

backroom maintenance some what overwhelming

Advice to Management

Maintain backroom organization to facilitate in-stock standards.

Okay Place

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

pay is pretty fair, pretty good training and great value for kids clothing

Cons

mgmt could pay more attention to employees

Advice to Management

mgmt could pay more attention to employees

The Children's Place Photos