The Children's Place

Updated September 17, 2014
2.2

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 32 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 46 reviews)

• Floor set was a week long project with a window change that usually took three people to complete (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Started out fun, but got worse over time. The company doesn't get it.

Current Employee - Sales Lead  in  Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Fargo, ND

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Fun environment, friendly people
    -Have some freedom in some visual displays
    -Opportunities to grow within the store

Cons

-The company does not compensate employees for the workload they put on you.
    -Expectations from the company and district managers are completely unrealistic. They cut your hours but increase workload.
    -Was only part time but worked full time hours
    -Did the same work as the assistant managers but was paid much less
    -Constant sale sets, price changes, window changes, visual changes each week...sometimes multiple times per week

If you invest the money into your employees, you will reap the benefits. Employees will be happy, will work harder and your customers will be more satisfied with a fun environment.

Store sales Manager

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Vacation Pay of 22 days

Cons

You can never find a good time to take a vacation. I tried to schedule an island vacation twice and had to cancel due to a new store opening and shipments too heavy to leave my team. The shipment schedule states x amount of boxes a week for the month on the monthly workload calender, then you receive three times the shipment (160) boxes a day and your store is on 167 hours a week payroll, which is 2-2 coverage, but don't fall behind the store to floor process. There is never a good time to take a vacation and feel like you can step away without coming back to twice the workload waiting for you.

There is absolutely no reason to do a huge floor set only to update it exactly 3 days after pictures are posted for corp to review, then floor set 2 comes out. My customer hasn't had the chance to see the first one. We do window changes 3 times a week and have 1/2 hour to open the store and run reports, open registers, do LOD trackers and Place trackers and sign the event. We close down the store 15 min after we lock the door to try and pick up two additional hours for Saturdays schedule (so people can eat). We need more payroll to handle the work load.

Good Manager Starter Job.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good discount, good benefits for full timers, depends on manager on balancing schedule but I had a good experience.
    its a fast paced environment so your delegation as a manager come to test. If you are the typer of manager that wants to sit and chill on the computer this is not the job for you. Energetic environment with right staff.

Cons

District Managers need to ACTUALLY train their managers, they are the ones representing the company.
    not enough hours given from corporate to develop their associates.
    very part time (except for holidays)

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Store Management! Great Co-Workers!

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at The Children's Place part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The store management was very organized and makes working there super fun! The discount is great especially when clothing is on sale. The managers at the store had worked there for over 15 years and love the company.

Cons

With any retail job, weekends and some holidays are required. The pay isn't the greatest for the entry level employees, and the raises weren't that great either. They also cut the employee discount within the time I worked there. Sometimes we would have to change around the in a short amount of time (and one time on Christmas Eve!).

DO NOT WORK HERE!

Former Employee - ASM
    Former Employee - ASM

I worked at The Children's Place full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have not one positive word about this company! Unfortunately, this site will not let me post my review unless I put something here!

Cons

No company culture, no time or payroll to train new employees, long hours, low pay, unprofessional corporate employees, shall I continue?

Stop with the updates! 99%of the time our DM would have no idea what she was talking about...if she ever even showed up. I am so happy I left the company. If you want clueless 19 year olds running your business continue to do exactly what you are doing.

sales

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

customer services, busy, employee discount, flexible

Cons

poor management, poor pay scale, poor work hours available

Good luck with that

RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at The Children's Place full-time for more than a year

Pros

The great team you work with.

Cons

Company culture, disorganized, no payroll, unrealistic expectations, terrible regional manager, horrible customers, ludacris return policy, 20% increase for ALL internal promotions. The list goes on. Only work if you desperately need the money.

Start over, back to the drawing board!! Show your store teams some appreciation (not cookies) and corporate REALLY needs to help the high volume stores.

Crazy Town

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great discount!
    20 days PTO (personal time off) and 10 days sick pay.

Cons

No work-life balance. Don't do it...RUN!

Provide your stores with adequate payroll. Stop with the updates, to the update, to the update...enough already!

Manager was horrible. But the staff it self was great.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Montgomery, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Montgomery, AL

I worked at The Children's Place part-time for less than a year

Pros

Got to work with wonderful people. The customer were nice. The staff itself was great. They helped e learn really fast.

Cons

Store manager was VERY lazy and rude. She was never there an made poor decisions that hurt her whole staff. She talked really bad about her staff and got mad when everybody quit.

Have your store manager do more work and stop relying on other people to do YOUR work.

Great job, I enjoyed my experience there.

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate

I worked at The Children's Place part-time for less than a year

Pros

Very good discount if you have children in your life; co-workers and management were friendly; great environment for retail.

Cons

There weren't a lot of hours to be given, some weeks I wouldn't get any hours; management seemed a little passive at times to any issues that might have arisen.

Worked for The Children's Place? Contribute to the Community!