The Children's Place

Updated October 22, 2014
2.1

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 38 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 53 reviews)

• Need to have more hours then they give for Back to School, Christmas, and floor sets (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Must be immune to stress.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time

Pros

Fast-paced environment, no "down time", diverse and interesting applicant pool. Music is okay, but can get annoying at times.

Cons

Constantly changing rules/ procedures, we almost always receive directions on a project after it is due. Sending instructions that make no sense/ have no discernable way to execute them without extensive planning (which isn't part of store level's job) Store managers are stressed by how little hours they get to staff their store and get a million+ things done every day. information that always changes offers no updates; it's up to managers to remember to check for updated info (like we're expected to know what we don't know) upper field management doesn't always come from a store (not promoted from within), so they don't really understand the issues we have with certain things, even after we explain why it is we can't or shouldn't do something.

Spend more time in your stores helping your management staff! Roll up your sleeves and sort shipment, or help execute a floor set. Showing us rather than telling us is the best way we can all benefit.

management

Current Employee - Management in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Management in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, pto, employee discount great!

Cons

heavy work load ,but company wants it done on slim to little or at no cost! floor set no hours. 2 part coverage 7 days a week including peak times. visual moves all month long, last minute window direction, no work life balance, poor allocation of hours for middle volume stores, some lower volume stores receive more hours then stores with more volume, high expectation around customer service, which is very hard to do when we're left to do all tasking during business hours because we simply don't get hours to tend to customers the way we're expected to do so.

a lot of turn over comes from being overworked and management not getting the support that's needed to run these million plus dollar stores!

don't do it if you've haven't had any experience in children's retail apparel.

ok environment

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

interaction with the customers, manager

Cons

Associates can act phony at times, no flexible, unable to accommodate without making you feel not apart of the team

Ordinary

Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Not much growth within the company. Only perks employee discount

Cons

Not a very welcoming place

Engage people in activities to motivate the sales

No payroll and no time for a personal life.

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great district manager and great benefits. The customers are great for the most part. The quality of our product is really great considering how low the prices are. Really great trendy product for an exceptional price.

Cons

2/2 coverage almost all year. It's hard to squeeze in time for a bathroom break. The workload is ridiculous considering you have no payroll.

Listen to your store manager's feedback. We are in our stores everyday. We are living and breathing everything that you guys set in motion. Listen to our feedback and value it.
      Some of the cut backs are absolutely unreasonable. We aren't allowed to hire any part time sales associate at a wage higher than minimum wage! How can we get quality employees at that wage? You get what you pay for in most cases. Usually only minors are interested in a job once they hear we only pay minimum wage.

Positive working environment and culture. Truely wants the best for Children and the people that work in the stores.

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Secaucus, NJ
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Secaucus, NJ

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Strong culture, autonomous working environment in my department. Good salary and benefits. Had the opportunity to do want I loved to do with people that I liked every day.

Cons

Very poltical home office environment. Became all about the dollar. Feel that CEO was very disconnected from the field. Making decisions without transparency.

Very important to be honest with your teams.

Assistant Manager expectations/rewards

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Rochester, NY

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good 401k. Awesome vacation pkg. U get $bonuses as long as u leverage payroll ie Sell more merchandise than payroll hours given to achieve $x sales...only got this once. Payout of $30.00. In my 2 yrs of working for them. I had great ssm when I was hired, but she got transferred and I got stuck with a manager that expected me to do everything, while she was "out sick" or on a "vacation" ... mind u these vacations usually took place during our BackToSchool Sales or just before a Company visit. I should have transferred with the SSM that hired me... I would have been trained better as a pier Not just an employee.

Cons

Conversion...30% daily i.e.. each customer that walk in Buys something. DOR- division of responsibility. My SSM, I was left with, never gave me any "props" always a poor mark or a "u don't do enough" complaint. I cannot force people to open Charge Cards. I cannot, empty all the freight, get it all put away perfectly, do your schedule, do all the transfers, set all the Windows and floorsets and make our Store Sales of at least $4000.00 a day without some other manager actually being IN the store to help on occasion. And O by the way keep the store clean and neat and smile at all the customers and personally help all the customers. Also, we had DM Conference. Call's weekly...which she usually missed. "DM?'s. "Why didn't you make your sales...what is your selling plan this week? Why wasn't all the freight processed? Why did u call in people this week you don't have the sales to say it's OK to call in more people?!" "Really?! Why don't u ask to speak to your SSM? ... whatever!

Upper Management should hold their SSM Accountable...they should check on them to see if they are actually in the store. They should make sure their SSM is training their Assistant Managers to do what is expected of them...not just finding fault with them. The SSM should be In Store During PEAK Season... but I have worked retail long enough to know...Upper Management probably could care less about their Store "filler" associates...They just want the SSM to have their sales goals met any way they get it, is fine. .. just don't let the District $$ show a decrease. DMs should hire SSM that want to be In Store and encourage their Team to move up and guide their Team with Support for successful sales.

Nice place

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good discounts, friendly staff, clean, not over-staffed

Cons

Boring, low pay, not enough hours

Offer more incentives

Ridiculous

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

Very very hard working associates

Cons

Run run far away from this place!!!!! Absolutely no payroll to support the workload. On 2/2 coverage continually, even during back to school and holiday,with 20, 30, 40+ cartons rolling in daily. Along with major flloorset monthly and visual moves weekly or more often, along with 2000 markdowns, pricing changes every couple days-I've never seen so many signs in a store in my life-window changes, redress the 40 mannequins. No hours for training. And remember to service every customer, give them the mesh bag you have to wear on your shoulder, get them to open a credit card, sign them up for the rewards program, ask them to take the online suevey=all of this while your freight sits unprocessed in the stockroom. These are all fine and dandy on paper, but REALLY, this expectation is not humanly possible. GET A CLUE TCP

Sales Associate

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

Great Place to work, good pay, flexible schedule with school, good discount

Cons

Working holidays, not much room to move up

The Children's Place Photos