The Children's Place Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Worst retail company to work for!

Former Employee - Store Manager in Manhattan, KS
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Manhattan, KS

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good clothes easy to sell.

Cons

If you want to work for a company that doesn’t give you proper training, support or any recognition. Then this is the place for you. The district management guides you to just not schedule people and that’s how they solve employee issues. Then when your team turns on you all the blame falls on the store management. Then when it comes to store policy they look the other way for some and kick the hell out of the others. Worked my ass off and never got any kudos. And they told us if we cut the bonus program for the assistants we would get a bigger bonus just another big fat lie. Don’t work for this company.

Advice to Management

Keep your eyes open don't trust any management. Bonus well don't expect to ever get one. Hours are lean and yet tasking is high. Whoever is making the plans and goals are crazy. Stay far far away

Little to no support from DM and corporate.

Former Employee - Sales Lead in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Associates are usually fun to work with, can be like your second family. Great products, clothing at their price points sell easily.

Cons

Huge disconnect from the corporate level. Either they possess superhuman powers to finish all the tasks they require you to finish with a 2 person floor coverage or they really just can't see the flaw in their timing. Company standard says we have to process 6 large boxes of shipment in one hour and we are still expected to sell at the same time. If you slow down for one second, DM or management will see you as "slow". If you are an associate, there will be practically no hours for you during the slow business weeks plus constant schedule changes. As one of the leaders, I was require to send my DM the schedule every week, and do the schedule changes she wanted every midweek. When your hours are cut, be prepared to work off the clock because you are still expected to finish the same amount of workload as the peak seasons while upper management turns a blind eye. You will be grossly underpaid for the amount of work they expect from you. The only differences between my position and my managers' were our salaries, benefits and the power to hire/fire. There is a HUGE turnover rate at this company, I have never seen any management stay for longer than 3 years. The only way to move up, is to move out of this company. Don't expect to get any recognition or support from the corporate level unless you have your way in with your DM.

Advice to Management

Corporate manage really needs to spend a week at the stores to see what's really going on. Acknowledge your employees because you are clearly getting no love on your ratings. Spend your money on payroll to get more floor coverage, otherwise, don't expect to have projects done AND sales goals met. You're not only protecting your sales but your shrink as well.

3. I've worked in retail for over 20 years. This is the worst company I've ever worked for

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Branson, MO
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Branson, MO

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great discount, that's the only pro I can think of

Cons

The company constantly changes promos and window displays with only hours notice. They don't give extra payroll to accomplish all of the extra tasks. They also keep changing their management system

Advice to Management

More communication from home office to people in the field is needed. Also, consistency in tasking is needed

Family Centric? Yeah right

Current Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (More than a year)

Pros

fashion forward clothing at a reasonable price. i loved my clientele base that i was able to build while working there

Cons

poor wages. long hours with no overtime pay as a salaried mgr. they just did a re structure and several ppl lost their jobs. the upper management never cared to invest in the associates on staff when they came in, just management. they say they stand for family values- but in an effort to make an extra buck- they made all outside "street entrance" stores open for business on easter.

Advice to Management

care more about the people who work their tails off for you.

As store manager you get beat up all way around with no Support from DMs.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit Beach, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit Beach, MI

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It used to be the quality of the clothes

Cons

The people that run the stores work their Butt's off but are continually accused of being screwups. Goodluck ever hearing that you've done something right. As store manager employees hate you because your told to work them minimal hours with call shifts. Customers hate you because the rules are always changing for them. And DMs go to twofaced school to be uncaring unrealistic egomaniacs with a passion for power.Oh and whatever you do don't develop an illness they will spend forever not following the laws that are supposed to protect you and make your life a living hell until you quit.

Advice to Management

Realize that the little people running your stores are the ones making you rich. Invest in them. Invest in a 2012 replenishment system. Actually work a store for a week in real time you and one sales associate. Then report to us that all the insane tasks that are supposed to be done in a shift cant really be done.

Not worth the work

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Tulsa, OK

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At the time, It was decent pay, until I figured out what the other management made Sometime cute kids Paid holidays Relatively easy, you could get away with doing nothing.

Cons

The customers are the worst!. I had several threaten me. The company had a "yes we can" attitude so the customer is always right which is crap because they basically can do whatever they want. and most times they get a better discount than employees Corporate has no idea what goes on in the stores, if they did they wouldn't throw things on us last minute and demand it done fast. There is no coverage, some days it will be me and 1 associate all day and still the same amount of work No work/life balance for store manager. she worked like 60-70 hours a week which made her pay like 12 bucks an hour. They promise you vacation time but half of the year is blacked out so you cant even use it anyways I had over 50 hours of PTO when I left and I didn't see a penny. They never want to promote from within. They always look outside the company which isn't fair for the associates who want to move up. Some customers don't take care of their kids and let the kids run around and trashing the store The store I worked at was really small but it was the largest volume in the district so it was hard to get items on the floor, there was barely any space to shop. I left the company because I moved to a different state. My DM was very uncooperative and wouldn't really help me transfer until the last minute when the only position open was a sales lead that offered only 10 dollars an hour. A sales lead is the same thing as a manager just part time. Its basically a way for the company to pay a manager less but its the same amount of work. This job isnt worth the money. You get treated like poo so much I worked really hard for the company and in the end I wasn't appreciated. Other managers broke rules and got praised for it.

Advice to Management

Try promoting from within. Dont pass up associates that have been there for years and bring someone new that doesnt know the business.

8. It's horrible.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Jose, CA

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The associates are great to work with

Cons

Managers are not fully trained for the job Hours are cut frenquently

9. Exploit employees

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mayaguez, PR
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mayaguez, PR

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Variety of people, Colorful environment, Nice interviews and nothing else

Cons

No possibility of growth Favoritism Bad attitude towards new employees No helping out your co-worker quality The best survive and they always will be the same for the following years unless they quit.

Advice to Management

Get into the stores and see the employees, specially the seasonal. Create a helpiing out environment, get the mangement into seminaries and ethics.

No Equaility, I'm constantly yelled at.

Current Employee - Visual Lead/Sales Associate in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Visual Lead/Sales Associate in Detroit, MI

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (More than a year)

Pros

At the moment I have none.

Cons

Males get paid more, to get them hired. No hours, but too many employees. Store manager doesn't care or listen and then tells other associates what you've said. No confidetiality.

Advice to Management

Grow up and listen to the employees that work their butts off for hardly any money. Use more positive reenforcement. Stop yelling.

Horrible Horrible working environment and experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Mansfield, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Mansfield, OH

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (More than a year)

Pros

30% Discount, other associates are nice to work with, nice clothing, good prices when on sale

Cons

Management team is lazy, rude, very unprofessional, store manager talks about associates in an inappropriate manor- making fun of them when a mannequin fell of an associate and how the associate walks, store leads keep notebooks of anything you say they can twist around and tell there store manager, you would have to set a floor set according to notes then your store manager would come in and tear it all down and re do it because she did not like it. they pay worthless people money to not do there jobs while associates looking to get promoted and work hard get zero recognition. just a horrible experience all the way through.

Advice to Management

give recognition to your associates, visit stores more often undercover to see how the store is operated not all the time but once a year as in upper management. Give the people who are willing to work for you the promotions and money they deserve. make the business positive with positive people working for it not these horrible people.

RSS Feed </> Embed