The Children's Place

Updated October 22, 2014
2.1

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 38 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 53 reviews)

• Need to have more hours then they give for Back to School, Christmas, and floor sets (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

I researched and read negative reveiws. It was all true. I noticed first in the interview when their honesty mimicked exactly what I read.

Current Employee - Lead Manager in Levittown, NY
    Current Employee - Lead Manager in Levittown, NY

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

In the store I worked in, the schedule was extremely flexible.

Cons

Although there was flexibility as far as the schedule, there was no hours to switch of call out for an emergency. How does that happen, you ask? Well my location would function on 169.00 hours. There was no time to do the work that needed to be done. As a manager you literally do it all. Paper work, shipment, clean, watch the floor, ring transactions, help customers, and babysit employees instead of mamage them. Most of this fine when there are more than one on one coverage. That's tight there's only two people in the store most of the time. And leaving the store to eat or do garbage are not possible without three people in the store.(unless done before hand). There are no benefits and the pay is ridiculously low. There are no hours for training and bad communication throughout shifts. No development to move in the company.

Stores outside of the malls need hours too. Training should be implemented to actually develop employees to grow. Management should manage not babysit employees. Pay should be raised.

WHAT A DISGUSTING PLACE TO WORK!!!!!!!!

Former Employee - Sales Lead
    Former Employee - Sales Lead

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You have SO much stuff to do that time flies by.
    Learned how to sink or swim in most situations because you are pretty much left in the dark.

Cons

This place is such a joke, where do i even start. First off, i was hired to be a key holder/lead and i had two years retail experience but i had no idea what a nightmare this was going to be. 5/7 days my typical day went as follows: Its 2/2 coverage ALL DAY, and i had to UNBOX, HARDTAG, FOLD/HANG, and figure out where it goes with about 20-30 boxes FULL of random clothes, and at the same time you had to be back up on register, move the walls and fixtures around so all the clothes that we had no room for could fit, check the emails 10 times an hour, write down the hourly sales and do all this pointless math for it, change signage, greet customers, hand them all shopping bags, answer all questions, ask them to apply for a place card and ask for email when checking out. i mean so much stuff that two people cannot get done! And dont even get me started on the FOLDED TABLES!!!!!!!!! This stupid company wants to send you 50 different colors and patterns of the same shirt/pants, and then 20 of each of the shirts and they want you to fold them and stack them 10 feet high because NOTHINGS aloud to be in the back! So you have to spend 3 hours folding one graphic tee table until its to the point that all you have to do is breath on it and it falls over, now how stupid is that?! The store is so PACKED with so many clothes that its hard for the customers to even shop let alone you clean it up in a timely manner. you have literally SO many tasks it will make you sick! I went home everyday freaking out about how tomorrow im going to be in so much trouble bc i didnt get a 40 task list done in 6 hours. its ridiculous! I was a store lead but did EVERYTHING the assistant manager did, but i didnt get the credit! I finally quit when a horrific person transferred to be our new assistant manager and she harassed me everyday to tears, when we were alone shed try and degrade me and made my life a living hell and the DM couldn't care less! they favor people and let them get away with anything! THESE PEOPLE ARE SLAVE DRIVERS! It is not worth it, please take my word! This company only cares about the money, they dont care about you or your family or the life you have. Btw if you are just a cashier, good luck getting more than 8 hours a week! To be able to get all the tasks done you literally HAVE to work off the clock and sometimes go to the store IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT AND WORK OFF THE CLOCK just so that you can finish all the impossible work loads! The company doesnt want you to tell you to do illegal stuff but they know you are doing it and of course they wont ever say anything until they have to. And people are favored to the point that two people could be doing something wrong but the one who is favored gets to stay, the other is fired. The DMs never come and check on the store and have no idea whats going on. This review is so everywhere because there are SOOOOO many cons about this place itll make your head spin! Apparently this place is "customer focused" yet all the customers see whats going on! they can feel the tension, and see you running around with no time for them because youre so busy and you are so hostile to the customers bc you seriously cannot stop thinking about the 20 things you have to do in the next half hour!

FIRE EVERY DM AND ESPECIALLY THE CEO!!!!! Start it all over!! ALL you need to get your head out of your ..... And Stop making it impossible to get things done! stop with the overwhelming daily tasks! Realize that WE HAVE A LIFE AND A FAMILY, just because we work for you doesnt mean you run our life. YOUR CULTURE AND VALUES SUCK! You wonder why you have such a high turnover and why there are so many bad reviews, newsflash YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOURE DOING AND YOU PUT NO EFFORT INTO TRYING TO FIX IT!!! 70 percent of these reviews are from people who are STILL working there, for some reason, WAKE UP!!! JANE ELFERS just give this place up to someone who actually cares and isnt a greedy selfish slave driver!

Don't recommend

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The discount is good only if you have kids. Other than that I can't really say anything good about working here.

Cons

They give you no hours and the pay is really really bad. I wouldn't recommend this job to anyone. It's a waste.

Give more hours

Great pay, bad job

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great employee discount and you get to learn a lot of different aspects of the business.

Cons

The company communication channel could be a lot better organized. There is never enough time to replenish or recover the store properly and this is due to payroll being such an issue.

Payroll is what allows for the company to make money. If there aren't enough hours for there to be enough employees the stores will continue to be trashed, not replenished to it maximum and lacking in associates to ring and help customers shop.

Not the worst place to work

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Tuscaloosa, AL
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Tuscaloosa, AL

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent heath benefits and a Paid Time Off

Cons

The technology is outdated
    Product that is coming into stores is not seasonably appropriate (Example: 3-in-Jackets rolling into to Southern stores in early August)
    Visual communications from company are flawed at best
    Little payroll is going into the stores. Based on the ability of the corporate office to get things done for stores, I'm guess they are in the same boat.

Right now it feels like the company is saving for something special, like maybe a pony. The problem I have is, I don't know what the company is saving for. All I know from working in the store is I'm not getting technology that is equivalent to our competitors, repairs to my store in a timely manner (I have some major repairs that need to done but no one seems to care or have the power to do anything), the ability to call in an extra person when we are having a fantastic sales day, or wear now product. The company needs to tell us in the stores what we are saving money for. After walking into one of our competitors store yesterday and selling their product and sales support I'm sorry to say that I don't think we stand a chance.

They have a great Brand but

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The customers and their children are the best. The clothes are great quality

Cons

This company needs to get their act together, Floor sets are simple and well explained but the updates to the sets are overwhelming. You set the plan and they change it and then once you correct it they change it again. You have no payroll and you work 2 openers and 2 closers plus you must meet sales goals. Who has time to make all these crazy changes and they wonder why your customers services scores are low! They want all these tasks done but give you no support, oh we did get cookies one time and a note LMBO! Pretty lame!

Run as fast as you can this company talks about a Life Balance and give you great benefits but getting to use them is tough! Always to much to do and you can only use 5 days at a time! With permission!

Good place to get some work experience

Current Employee - Store Lead in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Store Lead in New York, NY

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The team that surrounds you instantly becomes like a family. Depending on your store they usually work around your school schedule

Cons

Too much work for the pay that is offered. The company policies often lead to confrontations with the customers. Inconsistent hours, horrible pay.

Nothing

No work life

Current Employee - Merchandising Manager in Skokie, IL
    Current Employee - Merchandising Manager in Skokie, IL

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (less than an year)

Pros

money is ok, and customers aren't to bad

Cons

You have to do everything

none

Not a good job to have while in school.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Selma, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Selma, TX

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It was a basic retail job. Holidays and peak seasons are busy which makes hours better.

Cons

The managers did not work well with my schedule. I informed them that I was a senior in high school and could only work weekends, and early evenings during the week, but that didn't stop them from having me scheduled late getting out of work after midnight.

Don't hire people if you don't want to work with their availability.

Too many tasks, not enough payroll to complete them.

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Saginaw, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Saginaw, MI

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (more than an year)

Pros

30% discount, even on top of sales and clearance.

Cons

There aren't enough hours to complete the tasks assigned.

We struggle with payroll weekly, we are currently so deep in stock that our backroom is almost impossible to walk though but we don't have the payroll to process it and we are continuously receiving 12-20 more boxes daily. The pay is not competitive with other stores, but the discounts are better. Though, if you don't have kids, the discount isn't a good enough perk to make up for the pay.

The Children's Place Photos