The Children's Place Reviews

Reset

There is retail and there is Children's Place

Current Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Pay and benefits, but it is really not worth it after you go through the constant changes and abuse..

Cons

Constant changes, always have a new floorset, price changes, window changes, dressing mannequins, you work long hours with no support because they are tight on payroll, just to have your DM come and tell you you don't work hard enough and that there is no improvement in the quality of your work.

Advice to Management

Stop with all the constant floorsets and changes, allow us to run business with a current floorset and change it once a quarter. Also, price changes and window changes and floor moves that are given a 4hour advance when you are on 2-2 coverage and you still expect us to be under payroll is ridiculous, come work a week in the store and see if you survive!

Hell

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Secaucus, NJ

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The co workers are great

Cons

Leadership is horrible and there is no advancement for hard work, only for kissing butt

Advice to Management

Leave

One of the worst companies I have ever worked for

Former Employee - Executive in Secaucus, NJ
    Former Employee - Executive in Secaucus, NJ

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I find it difficult to name a pro. Micro-Management down to the thread selection on the garment. Merchandisers have little to no say in process or in the final collection. The amount of double-triple-quadruple work is unbelievable. CEO is a horrific person with zero regard to the staff, this is clear in the high turnover and the revolving door of executives that have either left quickly or were fired.

Cons

Cons – Everything down to the negative attitude of everyone and disregard of personal time. Zero work/life balance; 80+ hour work week expectations. Always worked weekends and as late as 2am in order to meet unrealistic expectations. Most people were very unhappy with work environment and management.

5. Ok, but very demanding.

Former Employee - Stock Associate in Mesquite, TX
    Former Employee - Stock Associate in Mesquite, TX

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, friendly customers, good discount.

Cons

I personally worked on stock. It was very demanding when you have to "beat the box". They told me we have to process 10 or more boxes an hour. Usually worked a 4 hour shift a day, so they wanted me to do 40 boxes in that 4-hour shift. I can't do 10 boxes an hour and attend the customers if they need me searching for a different size in the back. Its just ridiculous the time we have to process each box. They never really trained you properly and wanted you to know how everything was supposed to go (for example: is it hanged or folded, censored or not, on the floor or the back). By the time you learned everything a new season floor set and clothes came in, now you have to learn the new one too. On our store we have to many new hires and associates who were already there suffered major hour cuts. I was stock and I still had to help them with redoing the floor sets all through the night until 4-5 a.m. They also had set goals to sell so many place cards or such and such, very unrealistic goals to begin with. If they thought you were not promoting it at every customer coming in through the doors you were yelled at. It was always unorganized in the back, I tried to re-organize everything I could but the next day it would be messy again, so I quit trying.

Advice to Management

Review everything to make it more easy going on your associates and have a good amount of workers and not just hire a ton of new people and then everybody suffers from low hours.

A company I would never recommend

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Secaucus, NJ

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed working with my Co-workers/Direct Team Members.

Cons

Too many to name. Here are a few examples - Lack of systems, unrealistic workload, 60-70 hour work weeks expected, no direction or strategy, a growth strategy based on cost only, lack of culture - honestly no culture at all, a horrific CEO & leadership (I have trouble even referring or calling them a leadership) team, management by fear and on and on it goes... I have never worked at a company where I have seen so much turnover at all levels - Upper Management - Executive, VP, Director and Worker Bee levels.

Advice to Management

My advice is to the Board - reevaluate your CEO and leadership (lack there of) team. There is a ton of potential at TCP, but it will never be realized with the current team in place.

7. Retaliation

Current Employee - Associate in Fort Payne, AL
    Current Employee - Associate in Fort Payne, AL

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time

Pros

I had the opportunity of working with great people, on the associate level.

Cons

Senior management totally disregards employment notices.

Advice to Management

Stop retaliating when employees decide to leave. This makes for a culture of no trust! Trust, and enabling others to act in any distribution center is paramount.

8. District Managers and above belittle and dishearten all employees!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at The Children's Place full-time

Pros

Great discount off anything on-top of sales going on! Training for management is decent. Benefit Pay for vacation/sick time is amazing.

Cons

Old software. Terrible Management. Treat Employees like slaves. Outrageous expectations.

Horrible PLACE to further yourself.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

co-workers can be friendly, 30% employee discount on all merchandise, get to interact with all sorts of different people

Cons

ASM, SSM, and LEAD management are VERY clique-like -- talk negatively about customers over the earpiece, talk negatively about co-workers off the clock, hours are given based on manager's favoritism in the store. Little to NO hours, however management is VERY, VERY big on calling people in "last-minute" to fix issues that should've been taken care of long ago. Poor planning, poor execution, and the only way you'll find satisfaction at this job is if you are still in high school looking to make extra "pocket change".

Advice to Management

Managers need to pay more attention to who they are promoting rather than "floor sets." Absolutely NO room for growth or improvement because the MANAGERS are taking all the hours.

Highly political, hierarchy, more important to fit into corrupt culture than to be good at what you do.

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

PTO and employee morale was good.

Cons

The work was mundane and routine. Senior management and others need to learn basic interpersonal skills and get out of their own heads and work silos. Some employees with influence due to longevity with the company are not open to change or newness and hold onto their projects too tightly, not allowing you to have influence. It's either done their way or it's considered wrong. My VP wasn't a good leader. The person used their arrogance as a weapon, acted cowardly on many occasions and unprofessional, speaking about past employee confidential matters. The person also played favorites versus recognizing true talent and holding onto it. Environment is extremely gossipy and unprofessional. A complete waste of my time, talent, creativity and energy. Onto bigger and better things!

Advice to Management

Lose your egos and focus on the business of The Children's Place.

11. Terrible place to work they do not value their employees.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Birch Run, MI
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Birch Run, MI

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was a job to pay the bills and receive discounts for children clothes.

Cons

Messy people looking for bargains.

Advice to Management

More payroll to use so managers are not overworked!

RSS Feed </> Embed