The Children's Place

Updated October 23, 2014
2.1

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 38 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 53 reviews)

• Need to have more hours then they give for Back to School, Christmas, and floor sets (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

No payroll and no time for a personal life.

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great district manager and great benefits. The customers are great for the most part. The quality of our product is really great considering how low the prices are. Really great trendy product for an exceptional price.

Cons

2/2 coverage almost all year. It's hard to squeeze in time for a bathroom break. The workload is ridiculous considering you have no payroll.

Listen to your store manager's feedback. We are in our stores everyday. We are living and breathing everything that you guys set in motion. Listen to our feedback and value it.
      Some of the cut backs are absolutely unreasonable. We aren't allowed to hire any part time sales associate at a wage higher than minimum wage! How can we get quality employees at that wage? You get what you pay for in most cases. Usually only minors are interested in a job once they hear we only pay minimum wage.

Don't recommend

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The discount is good only if you have kids. Other than that I can't really say anything good about working here.

Cons

They give you no hours and the pay is really really bad. I wouldn't recommend this job to anyone. It's a waste.

Give more hours

Great pay, bad job

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great employee discount and you get to learn a lot of different aspects of the business.

Cons

The company communication channel could be a lot better organized. There is never enough time to replenish or recover the store properly and this is due to payroll being such an issue.

Payroll is what allows for the company to make money. If there aren't enough hours for there to be enough employees the stores will continue to be trashed, not replenished to it maximum and lacking in associates to ring and help customers shop.

Not the worst place to work

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Tuscaloosa, AL
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Tuscaloosa, AL

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent heath benefits and a Paid Time Off

Cons

The technology is outdated
    Product that is coming into stores is not seasonably appropriate (Example: 3-in-Jackets rolling into to Southern stores in early August)
    Visual communications from company are flawed at best
    Little payroll is going into the stores. Based on the ability of the corporate office to get things done for stores, I'm guess they are in the same boat.

Right now it feels like the company is saving for something special, like maybe a pony. The problem I have is, I don't know what the company is saving for. All I know from working in the store is I'm not getting technology that is equivalent to our competitors, repairs to my store in a timely manner (I have some major repairs that need to done but no one seems to care or have the power to do anything), the ability to call in an extra person when we are having a fantastic sales day, or wear now product. The company needs to tell us in the stores what we are saving money for. After walking into one of our competitors store yesterday and selling their product and sales support I'm sorry to say that I don't think we stand a chance.

Good place to get some work experience

Current Employee - Store Lead in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Store Lead in New York, NY

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The team that surrounds you instantly becomes like a family. Depending on your store they usually work around your school schedule

Cons

Too much work for the pay that is offered. The company policies often lead to confrontations with the customers. Inconsistent hours, horrible pay.

Nothing

DO NOT WORK HERE!

Former Employee - ASM
    Former Employee - ASM

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have not one positive word about this company! Unfortunately, this site will not let me post my review unless I put something here!

Cons

No company culture, no time or payroll to train new employees, long hours, low pay, unprofessional corporate employees, shall I continue?

Stop with the updates! 99%of the time our DM would have no idea what she was talking about...if she ever even showed up. I am so happy I left the company. If you want clueless 19 year olds running your business continue to do exactly what you are doing.

Assistant Manager expectations/rewards

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Rochester, NY

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good 401k. Awesome vacation pkg. U get $bonuses as long as u leverage payroll ie Sell more merchandise than payroll hours given to achieve $x sales...only got this once. Payout of $30.00. In my 2 yrs of working for them. I had great ssm when I was hired, but she got transferred and I got stuck with a manager that expected me to do everything, while she was "out sick" or on a "vacation" ... mind u these vacations usually took place during our BackToSchool Sales or just before a Company visit. I should have transferred with the SSM that hired me... I would have been trained better as a pier Not just an employee.

Cons

Conversion...30% daily i.e.. each customer that walk in Buys something. DOR- division of responsibility. My SSM, I was left with, never gave me any "props" always a poor mark or a "u don't do enough" complaint. I cannot force people to open Charge Cards. I cannot, empty all the freight, get it all put away perfectly, do your schedule, do all the transfers, set all the Windows and floorsets and make our Store Sales of at least $4000.00 a day without some other manager actually being IN the store to help on occasion. And O by the way keep the store clean and neat and smile at all the customers and personally help all the customers. Also, we had DM Conference. Call's weekly...which she usually missed. "DM?'s. "Why didn't you make your sales...what is your selling plan this week? Why wasn't all the freight processed? Why did u call in people this week you don't have the sales to say it's OK to call in more people?!" "Really?! Why don't u ask to speak to your SSM? ... whatever!

Upper Management should hold their SSM Accountable...they should check on them to see if they are actually in the store. They should make sure their SSM is training their Assistant Managers to do what is expected of them...not just finding fault with them. The SSM should be In Store During PEAK Season... but I have worked retail long enough to know...Upper Management probably could care less about their Store "filler" associates...They just want the SSM to have their sales goals met any way they get it, is fine. .. just don't let the District $$ show a decrease. DMs should hire SSM that want to be In Store and encourage their Team to move up and guide their Team with Support for successful sales.

unrealistic work life balance

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

$ - money its good but you cant really enjoy

Cons

12-14 hr days, feel shamed for taking lunch or days off

manage normal working hours & dont depend on people staying all night to get work done

No work life

Current Employee - Merchandising Manager in Skokie, IL
    Current Employee - Merchandising Manager in Skokie, IL

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (less than an year)

Pros

money is ok, and customers aren't to bad

Cons

You have to do everything

none

sales

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

customer services, busy, employee discount, flexible

Cons

poor management, poor pay scale, poor work hours available

Good luck with that