The Children's Place

Updated December 18, 2014
2.2

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 40 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 58 reviews)

• Top managment would make last minute decisions and we would have to stay late to redo floor sets (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales Lead

Current Employee - Sales Lead
    Current Employee - Sales Lead

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management experience, Flexible hours, fun co-workers.

Cons

They do not try to develop employees or promote within, Hours are up and down for sales lead, rarely receive extra payroll hours for floor-set and processing freight.

To be successful you must be a self learner because of lack of training hours... also this is not an office job you must be willing to multitask and get thing done during down times.

Only the strong survive

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

Generous PTO, love the discount

Cons

Unrealistic workload, hard to keep associates due to low pay, not enough payroll hours to manage the workload

Invest in your brick and mortar

......

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

After 8 years finally got paid 12.

Cons

Do manager jobs and even train managers who are in hire positions. Hire people outside of company who have no clue and expect lower on the ladder associates to train them instead of moving the current employee up the ladder. On-call shifts waste your day. Hours are skid dish an vary

Respect your workers, especially ones with family and on calls are stupid

This company is terrible!

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you get a good group of people to work for, it makes the job bearable. I had an absolutely wonderful manager and I loved her and the associates that I worked with were awesome. PTO was good.

Cons

Upper management is terrible. I was an ASM and my DM was seriously a succubus. LP didn't care about us and our complaints at all. We had customers who would steal things from other stores and come to our store and return the items for merchandise credits and we had such an awful return policy that we couldn't deny them even though we knew for a fact they had stolen the merchandise. We would complain and report the issue to LP and they never cared at all. The hours were terrible, the amount of work was seriously unrealistic and so were the sales expectations. The pay was also terrible. I was an ASM and my raise from Sales Lead to ASM was absolutely ridiculous. We were the lowest paid ASM's around. The credit card expectations are ridiculous as well. This job was emotionally draining and physically draining. The customers were horrendous and just completely drained me. I do not recommend working here at all.

Listen to your employees and don't set unrealistic goals.

Love the staff. Children and adults are awful.

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

Discount. Co-workers make you feel like family.

Cons

Store is a mess constantly. Adult guests are very rude and can't control their own children.

Senior Software Engineer

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Secaucus, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Secaucus, NJ

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- great benefits: paid time off, 401K, summer Fridays.

Cons

- it is a place that I'll recommend to a friend

Lots of work, rewarding growth and learning

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Constant development and feedback from district manager level. Ability to grow within the company. Ability to make decisions in merchandising on your own, you truly run your 4 walls. Good PTO policy.

Cons

Heavy workload around back to school, difficulty hiring at a low rate for associates

Allow us to hire a little higher, let us keep people longer. Need a training program.

Used to be a great company to work for

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Paid time off. Paid time off. Paid time off...not that you'll be able to use it

Cons

To high of workload for the time allotted. Constant changes to visuals trying to sell more stuff, when all you really need are the people you have, that care about your customers, available to help and create an amazing customer experience. Leaders in upper management will lie to you, make you afraid of losing your job, to get you to give up everything else in your life to get the job done. No work/life balance, but that's what you signed up for, right??? Terrible policies for the customers, that you have to smile and take whatever they derogatory feedback they determine is necessary, all the while you agree with them but can't do anything about. If you're considering a job here, please run as fast as you can in the other direction...it's not worth it.

Everything went downhill once Jane Elfers was brought in. Find new leadership and maybe you can salvage what's left of this terrible company that doesn't care about their people.

Great place

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Loved my coworkers
    Great flexibility

Very fast paced environment

Former Employee - Co-Manager in Jackson, NJ
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in Jackson, NJ

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule for sales associates, room for advancement,. Enjoyed being with other moms and their children. Co-workers were friendly and easy to get along with.

Cons

Selling credit card with high interest rate. It's not what you know sometimes, it who you know, Constant changes to floorsets & marketing. Upper management always got the best schedules.

Leaders should be approachable and considerate of others life/work balance. Don't show favoritism.

The Children's Place Photos