The Children's Place

Updated January 30, 2015
2.3

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 40 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 58 reviews)

• Top managment would make last minute decisions and we would have to stay late to redo floor sets (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Extremely Chaotic Company

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time

Pros

Decent pay; PTO is good, if you are actually able to use it.

Cons

The list would be long...see the other reviews. They are pretty spot on.

I understand that the company is units-driven, but they should consider scaling back the number of collections they offer. There is a point where the consumer gets overwhelmed with choices and decides to not shop anything. Furthermore, the collections need updated looks. I've had customers complain that their child has had the same shirt for the past three years because there is no variety from year-to-year and stores continue to receive the same product. Also, can we talk about gross margin? How can I control it if we are not allowed access to the reports? On the reverse, how much can we control if corporate is sending out 30% off coupons when we are having a $2.99 sale? There needs to be more of a thoughtful, beneficial approach to being a company who offers affordable children's clothing while not having to almost give away collections once the season is over. I am on the same page as most of these other reviews, that this company is extremely disorganized, uncaring towards employees, and expects a staggering amount of work to get accomplished with little to no resources. Recently, our district had a conference call talking about coming up with ideas and incentives for store teams to help push through our last fiscal month and end the year strong. Almost every leader said they were doing a pizza party, bowling, going out to dinner, and other activities to boost morale and let their teams know they are appreciated. However, when the DM asked how they would be funding this, every leader said it would be coming out of their own pocket. I hope that puts in perspective the type of company this is. They want results. They want talent. They want high work load. They want commitment. But, they are not willing to give anything. Payroll, hiring wages, training, and so on... A company's culture starts from the top and the culture at TCP is one of overbearing stress due to the disorganization within the company structure. No matter what you and your team does or the amount of hours you spend past your normal 40, you just won't win here. It will never be good enough. Overall, I just think there is not enough of a clear direction for the company. If they reassessed their mission statement, found a buying and pricing strategy that could correlate, and implemented that, then I don't think corporate would be running around like chickens with their heads cut off, so to speak, constantly revising their sales or sending out new directives.(which in turn trickles down and causes these dissatisfied employees) TCP might actually be able to address their poor company morale and lower their turnover rate, if they first fix the issues in what direction the company is headed and what their future looks like.

Meh

Current Employee - Store Lead
    Current Employee - Store Lead

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Discount : Great if you have a child to buy for in your life, though many times it is no better than a customer having a coupon, which are easily obtainable.

- Environment: Can be a pleasant place to work, customers usually are nice and have children with them, whose antics can make for an entertaining day.

- Team: If you are lucky enough to get into a store with a good team, it can be enjoyable. Everyone knows they have a role in building the store and the camaraderie can be nice.

Cons

- Expectations: Corporate expectations are ridiculous compared to the number of hours they are willing to give. Constant floor changes and price changes, and they are communicated last minute.

- Hours: Store leads are only guaranteed twenty hours, associates are guaranteed none. If you have an open schedule and prove yourself, you can get called in for extra hours, but its not enough to live on.

- Management: The management outside of the store itself is very disconnected from reality. They often don't have a good idea of what is going on or seem to be very knowledgeable at all.

- Advancement: There appears to be little, if any room for advancement. As others have stated, associates and/or leads can be responsible for teaching poorly skilled hires placed in positions above them, which is frustrating.

- Give hours to train: With no hours to train new employees, its always a learn as you go situation. This places a serious burden on everyone.

- Hire from within: Focus on building talent within the stores before bringing in new, unproven individuals.

- Help your employees, don't hinder them: Corporate hinders its employees in so many ways. Between their confusing marketing tactics that leads to frustrated customers abusing employees to last minute notification on huge changes that must be carried out, corporate seems more focused on placing hurdles in the way rather than removing them.

This is the worst company I have ever worked for.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Aurora, IL

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pros to this company. If you're lucky you'll at leas have an amazing team to work with at a location.

Cons

I have been with the company for four years. It is the worst company I have ever worked for. I have been in three positions in this company as a sales associate, a sales lead, and then the assistant store manager. There is absolutely no training that is done with associates. They are expected to know things without being told and if things are done incorrectly they are reprimanded for them. Corporate does not support it's store or associates by telling them one thing and then acting in a different manner. I have worked for two stores within the company and they are both like this.

Management needs to train associates. As soon as that happens the quality of work will improve.

Not good

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

Good PTO , ok pay

Cons

Lack of training, not enough hours given for work load, company micro manage big time, not paid for time work.. Store manager would adjust time punches to make payroll.

Store Sales Manager for 10yrs

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I honestly can think of only one Pro.... Great associate discount!

Cons

Very bad company planning. No clear direction given. A lot of indecisiveness. No payroll. Starting pay is minimum wage. High turnover rate. Ignorant/ rude DM. Horrible store spending budgets. Over load of shipments. No way possible to complete the weekly workload on a 45hr schedule. Constantly playing "catch up," and working at least 60hrs a week on salary pay.

Get out while you can. Company is going down hill!

Stores closing!

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

Fun product for a range of ages
    Discount of 30%

Cons

Too Many local stores closing
    Everyone is losing their job

Negotiate rents better as to not have to close locations

Buyer

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

Flexible hours and great employee discount

Cons

Not much,room for growth

Create opportunities for more input from employees

Could have been better

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Baltimore, MD

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

They offer good clothing at a lower price than competitors.

Cons

Company has a very high turn over rate
    High worker expectations
    Company does not put any emphasis on work home life balance.

ASM

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

pay is ok for management

Cons

always working Holidays, Associates get few hours and no benefits. Management doesn't care about employees

Too much change

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

Easy to sell clothing, great pay for management.

Cons

Too much pressure on management team. There are always last minute changes on changes already made last minute. There aren't any hours for proper training. Employees are solely promoted based on favoritism not work ethic. The company needs to maintain a steady SOP system that isn't so frequently changed .

Dm's should do anonymous surveys quarterly to get a better understanding of each stores struggles and frustration. Employees need to be fully trained especially before taking on leadership roles.

The Children's Place Photos