The Children's Place

Updated December 17, 2014
2.2

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 40 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 58 reviews)

• Top managment would make last minute decisions and we would have to stay late to redo floor sets (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Don't work here. You don't need the stress.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fellow Associates are nice to work with. Though of course that depends on the store. Are sometimes flexalbe with your availability times. If you have kids the discount is decent. That is unless they're giving customers a better coupon. Might as well use that instead.

Cons

- Are constantly being told to change floor set week after week. Constant mark downs and changes in prices. To add to that you are hardly given hours to get things done on top of helping customers.
    - no additional pay for unpacking shipment, being a garbage man etc,
    - You'd be lucky if you get more than 10 to 12 hours a week. They try their best to give you as little hours as they can and force you to do an insane amount of work in that small amount of time
    - district manager is a joke.
    - There is no room for advancement.
    - They'd rather hire clueless new people from outside the business than move up a current employee.
    - There also isn't even a chance to get a raise. Working there for well over a year and still getting paid minimum wage.
    - The managers only look out for themselves when making the schedule. Giving each other every other weekend off and penciling in week long vacations. Meanwhile if you'd want to request a day off even for something important let alone vacation it's an issue.
    - As an employee here your personal life is not taken in to consideration. All managers care about is you showing up for your shift.
    - Call in shifts are a joke and you have to circle your life around the job, call them to ask if they need you to work and if they don't your entire day is wasted.
    - you're hardly even training. You're hired told to go fold shirts and maybe when a fellow associate has time they'll show you how to use the register. But getting actual proper training from management doesn't happen.
    - Managers are rude and give employee's attitudes for no reason.
    - constant nagging to get place credit cards. Always being pestered to meet goals and even if you do it's still not enough. the horrid cards are what seem to care about the most
    - the sales floor looks like an over stocked mess with all the merchandise packed on the floor, isn't even shoppable
    - Customers are rude, cheap, and have no idea how to control their children.

Don't work here point blank. You will leave here miserable.

Try to care about your employees. Maybe more would stick around.

Only the strong survive

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

Generous PTO, love the discount

Cons

Unrealistic workload, hard to keep associates due to low pay, not enough payroll hours to manage the workload

Invest in your brick and mortar

Salve job

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time

Pros

Great coworkers grieta discount

Cons

No Hours bad Pay management aré rude

Horrible!!!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cute Clothing for kids!

Cons

Hired me but never gave me more then 10hrs a week

Stop going to the Hamptons and be a manager!!!!

Pretty Good Company

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Austin, TX

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great sales on clothing
    Promotes from within
    Lots of contests between stores to win cool prizes

Cons

Not enough money spent on payroll, so the store isn't always as covered as it should be.
    Too many visits from Regional managers - some stores get tons of visits while others never get one.
    District managers are not trained properly and some don't make an attempt to learn.
    Furious customers becuase of changes in return policies, coupons, etc...

Evening out regional manager visits - so each store gets visited an equal amount of time.
    Too many changes within the company such as policies, coupons, etc.. confuses customers and they don't like it.
    More money should be spent on payroll so that its not on 2/2 coverage even during peak times.
    Benefits to part-time employees, might make them stay longer.
    Having more full time employees, not just SM and ASM. All mangers should be full time.

Amazing!

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It allows you to progress. I was hired as a sales associate march of 2014, became a sales lead july of 2014, and now october 2014 I became an assistant store manager and im only 18. This company has allowed me to really show my skills and how I am able to contribute to the business im very lucky and fortunate to be in the position that I am.

Cons

Many sales associates leave early dont like the job nor hours they recieve but than again its only a part time job for sales associates.

Assistant manager

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

Good staff, friendly customers, good discount if you have children, it comes in handy!

Cons

Not enough coverage, low pay.

Give more dollars in payroll, if you want a floor set, markdowns, window change and customer service to be completed , then realize that 2 on 2 coverage will not cut it! Also pay your managers more, they work their tails off.

Good and Bad

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (more than an year)

Pros

During the winter, traffic is low and the atmosphere is more relaxed and peaceful. The employees are super nice and polite.

Cons

Getting a raise is difficult because it depends on the teams performance altogether. Customers tend to get more rude and think they are entitled to a coupon without presenting one.

You get to say you had the opportunity to move up

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Lead Cashier in Athens, GA
    Current Employee - Lead Cashier in Athens, GA

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good hours, great people, good district manager, ability to move up if you bump elbows with the right people

Cons

Hours are good except the fact shifts are scheduled so your whole day revolves around work.

Typical Retail Job, But There Are Flaws...

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Clearwater, FL

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Employee Relationships, Flexibility, Easy work

Cons

Forced to sell credit cards

The TCP culture is generally nice. However, it feels wrong to be forced to sell credit cards to people who clearly should not have them and offering a discount to get them to apply. In addition, I noticed that forecasting methods were way off- all the time. I think this is something that should really be looked into so individual stores can accurately plan their sales. I think it's time to test out another mathematical method of sales forecasting.

The Children's Place Photos