The Children's Place

Updated September 28, 2014
2.2

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 36 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 53 reviews)

• Need to have more hours then they give for Back to School, Christmas, and floor sets (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent business. Poor place to be employed.

Current Employee - Director  in  Secaucus, NJ
    Current Employee - Director in Secaucus, NJ

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits are more favorable to the industry average. This includes health benefits, 401k, and time off. They are a leader in their specialty and have demonstrated the ability to stay there. There are very smart and hard working people running the company and at Director and Manager levels. Training employees is exceptional.

Cons

Where do I begin. Very difficult to be a happy employee. This is indicative up and down the organizational chain of commands. Walking on burning charcoal is a great example of the morale in this place. Very stressful and full of anxiety. For the past few years, upper management turnover has been very high and has caused excessive turnover at the mid level.

There is no sense of security at all and being ranked the "10th worst company to work for" by Huffington Post is being too generous. In reality, when the world sees it as bad, it's usually worse.

For the Children's Place, the phrase "Winning isn’t everything; it’s the only thing" needs to expand to "Winning isn’t everything; it’s the only thing at the expense of the #1 thing that makes or breaks companies. It's employees". It's time to stop covering the deep rooted insecurities and run the business. There is so much potential for our company and we should be looking back from a further distance.

Place more confidence in the people and let them think on their own. Creativity will come out and once again, this company will grow at the pace they should be growing at, not stagnate because stagnating keeps the stock at $50. It will be much easier to grow the business by taking care of the people who will bring you there.

Current Store Sales Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Akron, OH

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

PTO Time, Employee Discount and TCP gives back to the communities in many ways also will buy you lunch on Black Friday

Cons

I have been a Store Manager for this company for the last three years and when I first visited this site I could not believe how many current and former employees felt the same way as I did and still currently do, I seen feedback on here from a Regional all the way to an Associate. It is so disheartening yet unfortunately VERY TRUE ... My staff and I too work our butts off every day ... Price Changes, Markdowns, Floorset, Floorset Pics, Window change, Visual Update, New Visual Update, Window Change, Markdowns, Pricing Corrections .... Oh by the way that's on 2/2 coverage while your also working the floor to the expectation of greeting, promo, mesh bag, open ended questions, follow-up and then at the wrap DO NOT FORGET to sign them up for My PLC rewards, Our Credit Card, explain it all to them and tell them about the new coupon, double points and survey on the receipt ... DO NOT even think about excusing yourself to use the restroom, to take a break or even to receive shipment because the customers do not take to kindly to it and it's truly not their fault ... I've seen several other comments on here mentioning no breaks, it's just truly sad how we can work for a company that has such great stock and yet they always cry poor ... No payroll, no training hours I have several pregnant people who never take breaks, I guess they couldn't leave the store if they wanted too never enough people in the building, but my question is "What is wrong with this Company?" This time last year I believe we had between 12/14 District Managers leave the company and 1 Regional ... I'm not sure if I've seen another company on here with so many horrible comments .... My advice to anyone that was looking for a job would be to run very far away from TCP until all the upper management changes ... There's not one day out of a month that my Regional or My DM could come in and run my storeWhat can u work next week to the standard they believe it should be ran ...And the discount is no longer any good the customers usually get the same almost everyday as well ...

I have listened to a lot of upper management speak lately and I feel as if the only one who may get it is the man at the very top, and he's just to far up to reign all his power hungry people in .... Shame on EVERYONE of you, that come into a store on a daily, weekly, district, regional visit and degrade people who work so hard doing the things you could never do, and all to make you look good!

Love/hate relationship with work

Current Employee - Sales Lead  in  Clarksville, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Clarksville, IN

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to work with great people and the discount is great if you have children. Great if you like a fast paced work environment.

Cons

Company (District Manager) doesn't care about employees would rather hire from outside or past employees that quit than give it to someone deserving and qualifying.
    I also find it very odd that store management (SSM) has no say over hiring/firing of lower management (ASM/leads)

Expect to be over worked and ignored for promotions.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My experience was a positive one most of the 7 years in corporate but calendar deliverables unattainable

Former Employee - Design Vice President  in  Secaucus, NJ
    Former Employee - Design Vice President in Secaucus, NJ

I worked at The Children's Place full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

excellent benefits, promote from within, CEO is aware of your contributions for such a big company, summer hours are great.

Cons

very tough culture, people are not team players, managers difficult to meet with, little recongnition, very littl etraining, easy to move up within company but never given the resouces so many are set up to fail.

Upper management is mostly woman and are in the top ranks of the company bc they are all friends. There is a lot of favoritism happnening and it's a girls Besties club.

Started out fun, but got worse over time. The company doesn't get it.

Current Employee - Sales Lead  in  Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Fargo, ND

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Fun environment, friendly people
    -Have some freedom in some visual displays
    -Opportunities to grow within the store

Cons

-The company does not compensate employees for the workload they put on you.
    -Expectations from the company and district managers are completely unrealistic. They cut your hours but increase workload.
    -Was only part time but worked full time hours
    -Did the same work as the assistant managers but was paid much less
    -Constant sale sets, price changes, window changes, visual changes each week...sometimes multiple times per week

If you invest the money into your employees, you will reap the benefits. Employees will be happy, will work harder and your customers will be more satisfied with a fun environment.

Great job, I enjoyed my experience there.

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate

I worked at The Children's Place part-time for less than a year

Pros

Very good discount if you have children in your life; co-workers and management were friendly; great environment for retail.

Cons

There weren't a lot of hours to be given, some weeks I wouldn't get any hours; management seemed a little passive at times to any issues that might have arisen.

Neutral

Current Employee - Sales Lead  in  Niles, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Niles, OH

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time for less than a year

Pros

Store discount was great .

Cons

Make sure you can handle a lot stress

Nice place to work

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at The Children's Place part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Opportunity for advancement and good employee discount. Flexible schedule, great for mothers and college students. Management cared for employees and were always listening to concerns.

Cons

Demanding and constant changing of marketing, displays, and floorset with tough deadline expectations. Daily sales goals and somewhat pushy on customers having to apply for store credit card.

Corporate America

I have been working at The Children's Place

Pros

The people are friendly. The location being in NJ nice to be away from the busy city. Good benefits. Started the star awards to recognize people who deserves it.

Cons

Commuting to NJ, in rush hour is not easy. Health benefits has decreased over the years. Difficult to move up within the company ladder so not much room for growth.

Great company

I worked at The Children's Place part-time

Pros

Really good company to work for specially if you are a student. The hours are great and it is a fairly easy job.

Cons

Because it's a kids store be prepared to be cleaning every 5 minutes and stuffing credit cards down the parents throat.

The Children's Place Photos

Worked for The Children's Place? Contribute to the Community!