The Children's Place

Updated September 28, 2014
2.2

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 36 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 53 reviews)

• Need to have more hours then they give for Back to School, Christmas, and floor sets (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

Unrealistic expectations; cuts costs whenever possible.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at The Children's Place full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I met some really great people, made some great friends, learned excellent time management from the abundance of tasks to get done. My boss (DM) was awesome. A lot of room for growth. (I started as a sales lead, was a store manager within 2 years and managed 3 different stores for the company; although people drop like flies there so there are always open positions.)

Cons

No payroll!!! (I probably would have stayed if I wasn't forced to run a $1.5 million store on 190 hours a week; same amount of hours I was given for a $900,000 store). Disorganized; there's always changes to policies, product recalls, floorset changes/updates the day after floorset is completed, same day pricing changes. Unrealistic expectations; they will give you an entire season floorset and expect you to get it done with no added hours (no one ever got it done on time, at least in the bigger stores). Shipment was relentless, 120-180 boxes/week with no resources to get it done. Supply ordering is very budgeted. Most months just ordering bags took me to my budget limit so I had to buy handsoap and cleaner out of pocket to have it in store.

Corporate people need to go into a high volume store and watch them work on the hours that they're given with the workload they are given and see how crazy it can get when you factor in the customer traffic and demand. Try a different approach and learn from the people that work for you instead of making ridiculous demands. Get feedback and actually listen to it.

District manager

Former Employee - District Manager  in  Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - District Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at The Children's Place full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great working with the non executive team

Cons

Worst leadership....zero job security....Poor communication within the team

Horrible company to work for

Current Employee - Cashier-Sales Associate  in  Lewisville, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier-Sales Associate in Lewisville, TX

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time for less than a year

Pros

The only pro about my store is the staff the best team I've ever worked with.

Cons

Minimum wage
    Extreme work load
    Ran like a small business
    Tedious tasks
    Expectations are WAY TOO high for the pay
    They want you to clean the store (mop, sweep, scrape gum off of the floor, take the trash out, you name it)
    They want you to man the store, be a security guard since there are no cameras, sell clothes, and open credit card accounts damn near at the same time.
    I'm not a janitor I'm a sales associate and the pay isn't great enough to even go above and beyond for the company.
    HOURS ARE HORRID!
    And on top of that YOU have to call in to see if you're needed on some days. I'm not a doctor there's no reason I should be "on call" it's hard to plan your personal life around a 50/50 obligation
    No company culture AT ALL
    No proper training

Get rid of the CEO. Job satisfaction is key. Take notes from Nordstrom their inverted pyramid theory is perfect. Nordstrom treats their employees well! Excited to be putting in my 2 weeks! this company will not last much longer if it doesn't improve. Do better! It's retail not rocket science!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work if you don't have a life

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fast pace environment .always string to do never bored

Cons

you lose outside life if you work there ,you work harder than everyone else in retail but still its never enough .company is desperate and have unrealistic expectation . running high volume store with minimum coverage and no decent pay. you have to be desperate for a job if you want to work there.

if you decide to work for the company ask as much pay as possible because they will make you work for it anyways .

Believe the reviews and run for the hills

Former Employee - Sales Lead
    Former Employee - Sales Lead

I worked at The Children's Place part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good discount for clothes, great associates

Cons

Very hostile work environment and bad management. I worked in a store close to corporate and learned very fast how negative those in higher positions are. I would never work for this company again. I survived the long hours, little pay, and no benefits for a management position. There is no system for growth of employees.

You should really look into the store managers you hire. Also in the year I was there 3 district managers were let go and replaced. Instead of firing good people because sale results arent up to par try looking at your operations and those in higher positions that are not furthering any growth.

Immoral, horrible, experience. It will take a bit to feel normal again after leaving that unethical situation.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at The Children's Place full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

getting a 30% discount is nice

Cons

NO work life balance. Only stress, duress, and nightmares.

Learn people skills

Worst job ever

I worked at The Children's Place part-time for less than a year

Pros

The only good thing is the discount

Cons

Rude customers....seriously customers at walmart are more well behaved. Constantly wanting free stuff. Disorganized stock room. Burnt out managers. Crazy high turn over rates. No room to move up. Really low pay.

Care more about the quality of people you put in management.

Take, take and more take.

Current Employee - ASM
    Current Employee - ASM

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for less than a year

Pros

Talking to polite customers and the satisfaction I get from helping them. Nothing about this company. Your discount isn't even good when you realize how much this company pays for the slave clothes from Bangladesh. They still make money off of you.

Cons

I am a asm at a location in North Am. I am paid LESS than some of our keyholder wages. I cannot say anything because taking about wage is reason for dismissal. Bringing home an average 720 dollar pay after taxes I am NO longer allowed 2 days off in a row. I am expected to bend over backwards and meet unrealistic expectations with nothing in return. Actually we do quite well for our store but ONE bad day with conversion and you can expect your dm to call...blame you for everything and then not let you say a word. Here's an idea...A thank you every now and then would be great. Throw some incentives out. Negativity all the time makes me want to STOP all my extra efforts. This company is cheap. You're busting your butt to make the head execs richer.They made me quit my second job because apparently I need 100 percent availability while only receiving 33-35 hours a week. Every part-time person I work with is miserable and hates the company. My manager often cries because our dm lacks any humanity from being brain washed by this terrible company.

Dm needs to stop being so mean. Mesh bags don't solve everything and sometimes it is out of our control.
    Don't expect the world when you underpay your management like you did to me. Finding out 2 other part time employees make more than me really puts the icing on the cake.
    Stop talking about being positive on conference calls but then only being negative to us. It's hypocritical and makes for a NEGATIVE selling day.

Experienced retail manager goes into caos

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at The Children's Place full-time for more than a year

Pros

developing associates to better positions in the company

Cons

Coming from Limited Brands that is all about growth and knowledge I was shocked how I only received a week for training as a store manager. I also did not have support from peers or direct leader

invest on training on all levels and truely be a customer service based company

No no no

Current Employee - Sales Lead  in  Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Newark, NJ

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time for more than a year

Pros

There are nopros because even the discount matches most customer's coupons

Cons

I could be here all day...

You won't listen anyway.

The Children's Place Photos

Worked for The Children's Place? Contribute to the Community!