The Children's Place

Updated September 17, 2014
2.2

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 32 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 46 reviews)

• Floor set was a week long project with a window change that usually took three people to complete (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Current Store Sales Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Akron, OH

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

PTO Time, Employee Discount and TCP gives back to the communities in many ways also will buy you lunch on Black Friday

Cons

I have been a Store Manager for this company for the last three years and when I first visited this site I could not believe how many current and former employees felt the same way as I did and still currently do, I seen feedback on here from a Regional all the way to an Associate. It is so disheartening yet unfortunately VERY TRUE ... My staff and I too work our butts off every day ... Price Changes, Markdowns, Floorset, Floorset Pics, Window change, Visual Update, New Visual Update, Window Change, Markdowns, Pricing Corrections .... Oh by the way that's on 2/2 coverage while your also working the floor to the expectation of greeting, promo, mesh bag, open ended questions, follow-up and then at the wrap DO NOT FORGET to sign them up for My PLC rewards, Our Credit Card, explain it all to them and tell them about the new coupon, double points and survey on the receipt ... DO NOT even think about excusing yourself to use the restroom, to take a break or even to receive shipment because the customers do not take to kindly to it and it's truly not their fault ... I've seen several other comments on here mentioning no breaks, it's just truly sad how we can work for a company that has such great stock and yet they always cry poor ... No payroll, no training hours I have several pregnant people who never take breaks, I guess they couldn't leave the store if they wanted too never enough people in the building, but my question is "What is wrong with this Company?" This time last year I believe we had between 12/14 District Managers leave the company and 1 Regional ... I'm not sure if I've seen another company on here with so many horrible comments .... My advice to anyone that was looking for a job would be to run very far away from TCP until all the upper management changes ... There's not one day out of a month that my Regional or My DM could come in and run my storeWhat can u work next week to the standard they believe it should be ran ...And the discount is no longer any good the customers usually get the same almost everyday as well ...

I have listened to a lot of upper management speak lately and I feel as if the only one who may get it is the man at the very top, and he's just to far up to reign all his power hungry people in .... Shame on EVERYONE of you, that come into a store on a daily, weekly, district, regional visit and degrade people who work so hard doing the things you could never do, and all to make you look good!

Overly stressful for management team and also sales staff

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay and benefits. I've grown close to so many of my employees that I hate to see them go

Cons

We are constantly under such a huge amount of workload that we can't even service our customers or train new hires. We get no pay roll and as soon as a floorset comes out we get updates to change it and price changes. We are constantly told that we must greet, offer mesh bags, give promos and make sure your also getting Place Cards as well. You have the best members on your team so busy tasking that they can't stop or they will fall so far behind it's ridiculous. Constantly want picture updates so there's the added pressure that it has to be done and with perfection but traffic and sales aren't taken into consideration. We could make so much more money for the store if we had time to work with our customers instead we always work on only 2 coverage so your best person is working on shipment marketing or floorset while your least experienced is on the registrar...not very smart. Also management has to come up with fun neat things to send in on top of workload that show we are teaching our teams (that's great but stop throwing so much at as where it can be done with thought behind it) we are also required to have certain paperwork done everyday and monthly that management is so stressed half the time and hurting physically from the workload as well we can't be at the top of our game

Stop with all the updates...I understand the why of it...something isn't selling like you thought so let's move it and put it here and price it different. Or there has to be a way to cut back on either workload or give us more payroll so that we and be more affective. A better trained employee is more of an asset a over worked tired employee is not. You've got your top players out of the game if you care about sales then let us do what we are best at and give the customer what they need because in the end it's about them and maybe that shirt you just moved would be selling better if someone with the skill set had been able to have the time to add-on and show them all the great stuff we've gotten in

My experience was a positive one most of the 7 years in corporate but calendar deliverables unattainable

Former Employee - Design Vice President  in  Secaucus, NJ
    Former Employee - Design Vice President in Secaucus, NJ

I worked at The Children's Place full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

excellent benefits, promote from within, CEO is aware of your contributions for such a big company, summer hours are great.

Cons

very tough culture, people are not team players, managers difficult to meet with, little recongnition, very littl etraining, easy to move up within company but never given the resouces so many are set up to fail.

Upper management is mostly woman and are in the top ranks of the company bc they are all friends. There is a lot of favoritism happnening and it's a girls Besties club.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Manager Starter Job.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good discount, good benefits for full timers, depends on manager on balancing schedule but I had a good experience.
    its a fast paced environment so your delegation as a manager come to test. If you are the typer of manager that wants to sit and chill on the computer this is not the job for you. Energetic environment with right staff.

Cons

District Managers need to ACTUALLY train their managers, they are the ones representing the company.
    not enough hours given from corporate to develop their associates.
    very part time (except for holidays)

Store sales Manager

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Vacation Pay of 22 days

Cons

You can never find a good time to take a vacation. I tried to schedule an island vacation twice and had to cancel due to a new store opening and shipments too heavy to leave my team. The shipment schedule states x amount of boxes a week for the month on the monthly workload calender, then you receive three times the shipment (160) boxes a day and your store is on 167 hours a week payroll, which is 2-2 coverage, but don't fall behind the store to floor process. There is never a good time to take a vacation and feel like you can step away without coming back to twice the workload waiting for you.

There is absolutely no reason to do a huge floor set only to update it exactly 3 days after pictures are posted for corp to review, then floor set 2 comes out. My customer hasn't had the chance to see the first one. We do window changes 3 times a week and have 1/2 hour to open the store and run reports, open registers, do LOD trackers and Place trackers and sign the event. We close down the store 15 min after we lock the door to try and pick up two additional hours for Saturdays schedule (so people can eat). We need more payroll to handle the work load.

Great Store Management! Great Co-Workers!

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at The Children's Place part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The store management was very organized and makes working there super fun! The discount is great especially when clothing is on sale. The managers at the store had worked there for over 15 years and love the company.

Cons

With any retail job, weekends and some holidays are required. The pay isn't the greatest for the entry level employees, and the raises weren't that great either. They also cut the employee discount within the time I worked there. Sometimes we would have to change around the in a short amount of time (and one time on Christmas Eve!).

Love to work here, but there's a lot I don't agree with

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time

Pros

Great benefits love working here, but there's a lot that has changed since I first started and there needs to be some changes In upper management if the company wants to be successful

Cons

High turnover and hiring from outside the company hurts the business. Outside hires don't understand the workload and hours so they end up leaving. Others leave because they cannot advance due to outside hires. Lots of floorsets, updates, price changes etc workload is so high you can't focus on your business. They want you to reach your goals and numbers and you can't even take the time to focus on customers bc of the work.. They want you to be sales driven but that doesn't happen. They force you and hold you accountable for reaching their credit card goals and survey results.. Makes you question job security..

Give internal candidates a chance. They understand the business and workload. Understand that in this economy not a lot of people want credit cards so don't make us feel like we have to pressure our customers to sign up.. They don't like it.. Also stop with all the updates. The floorsets should be done once a month and that's it! Don't need to redo a wall 5 times in a week!!! We want to focus on our customers so let us!

Awful working experience.

Former Employee - Sales Lead  in  Sandy, UT
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Sandy, UT

I worked at The Children's Place part-time for less than a year

Pros

A fast paced environment where there is always something going on so you are never really bored. The discount is pretty awesome.

Cons

Some of the biggest cons I found while working there: Low pay, no payroll, they hardly gave any training to their employees, sometimes the workload is ridiculous, horrible district manager, everything changes last minute, store managers and employees are overworked, and they are not flexible with schedules at all!

I have been with the company for over 5 years and am now a Sales Lead.

Current Employee - Sales Lead  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people I work with are more like family to me vs coworkers. Our discount is 30% off which helps if you have children.

Cons

They don't give enough payroll to complete what they are asking of their employees. I feel like I work so hard and only get paid pennies. They only offer full time positions to store managers and assistant managers but require that you have open availability. The workload is always heavy and they always, ALWAYS send over updates to changes they originally put into place. They have no idea what is going on at the store level but wants every store to comply with every move, change, and /or request.

Find out what each individual store is in need of from the district manager, stop generalizing stores based off another that doesn't compare in sales, payroll or merchandise. Bring back transfers!!!!! It will help us push what is selling at our location. Consider offering more full time positions to seasoned associates.

Unrealistic expecations!

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great PTO and good Pay for Mgmt

Cons

As someone who loves a very busy, challenging atmosphere, the workload is ridiculous. You do not get the chance to appreciate the work you have accomplished because corporate changes it just before the moment its due and doesn't change the due date. You are running around 100% of the time to attempt to keep up only to be told that you need to be at the same time talking to every customer multiple times on 2 person coverage with 1 of those 2 people ringing out customers the whole time, leaving one person to the customers and all the workload, and security from all the theft... . I never even hear from my DM-and when I do he is worried about dust bunnies! Really?!

Give us payroll!!!! It means-more product processed, neater organized stores, and customer service. All of which means more $ for you. Instead of cutting payroll...how about cutting some of the crazy benefits given at the corporate level-unlimited sick time?? Never have I heard of such a thing prior. The insane workload for 1 person to handle really is ridiculous. It leaves employees without that sense of accomplishment. Do not totally change a floorset that has been worked on and prepped on for a week +, just hours before it is due and tell us "it is still due at the normal time..oh and you have to be out of the store 30 mins after closing and before opening, so do not use any extra hours to get the work done".

Worked for The Children's Place? Contribute to the Community!