The Children's Place

Updated December 17, 2014
2.2

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 40 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 58 reviews)

• Top managment would make last minute decisions and we would have to stay late to redo floor sets (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Stay away

Former Employee - Merchandise Planning & Allocation in Secaucus, NJ
    Former Employee - Merchandise Planning & Allocation in Secaucus, NJ

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great and try to make TCP a fun place in order to cope with the huge amounts of stress and high expectations.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations. Every man /womanfor themselves culture. No teamwork or assistance from managers. Obscene amounts of work. No training. Extremly stressful environment. 0 appreciation for work done or the amount of work it takes do do all of their ad hoc and side projects. Stay Away!!

Get a clue. It isn't worth pinching every penny when your entire staff is unhappy. Learn to treat your employees with some respect and appreciate them for their contributions instead of constantly pointing out their failures.

tcp ptsd.

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Lake George, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Lake George, NY

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (less than an year)

Pros

cute babies smile at you sometimes and its a great environment for people who need to be doing something all the time. some of the clothes are really fashionable.

Cons

i literally had ptsd symptoms after working at this brainwashing consumer monster. i worked there for 9 months total.
    being an associate was great, work load was manageable, but i worked very hard to get a promotion and i was offered way less money than i deserved for all the work you really have to do as a sales lead, and no one had time to train me. i couldnt get hours, even as a keyholder. i worked in an outlet and so there were a lot of "vacationers" who were rude and never enough staff to deal w the amount of customers. poorly trained management and everyone bears the pressure from corporate to reach unrealistic sales and conversion goals. the worst part was the emphasis on the rewards program and place credit card, which we are pressured by management to use ruthless methods to obtain. so many girls would come in and work one day, and never show up again. policies are constantly changing and hard to keep up with. i was depended on way too much, even as an associate. and the music will literally make you crazy.

The worst company to ever work for.

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Deep discounts on merchandise
    -Actual job is easy

Cons

-Poor upper management
    -Lack of recognition
    -No opportunity for personal growth

The quality of the work enviornment depends directly upon the management, which goes constantly unchecked. They hire store managers from outside of the company, who are untrained and ill-equipped to do their job, and then rely on assistant managers to fill in the gap. Meanwhile, assistant managers who have been with the company for years, and virtually run their stores, get constantly passed over for promotions and recieve no recognition. District managers are increasingly self-serving, withholding information from associates, and offering false information and hope on future promotions. They hire friends in important positions, that don't do their job, and usually don't last more than six months. In one year, my store went through over FOUR store managers. Their is no work-life balance with store managers demanding coverage for on-calls with less than ten minute notice, unbalanced scheduling, and setting unrealistic demands for the team. The management is EXTREMELY unproffessional, with the constant gossip of other associates and managers. Assistant managers do more than Store managers, for a fraction of the pay and recognition. Associates recieve no recognition for their hard work and are forced to sacrifice more than upper management.

Horrible Co. and way of business

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Garland, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Garland, TX

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Met only one employee out of 12 workers that was really nice.Only pro of this co.

Cons

Working on time very micro managed and not enough time team leaders will not pick up where u left off.Dm of Dallas talks to u in a baby voice and his very rude doesnt speak to employee's only mgt.

All staff is of value. Support every employee and acknowledge them.And do not ask employee's to take pics of other stores for your project after dark and not clock them in for there after hrs work for you.RESPECT

Aweful company.

Former Employee - District Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - District Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at The Children's Place

Pros

There are none ! .. Zero , zip , nada.

Cons

Read all the bad reviews ... They are all true. The ones that are descent just haven't been there long enough or are just have not experienced anything else.

Clearly the Executives know nothing about building a successful business ... It's about building relationships , not disrespecting people. , mass producing clothes that are carried over year after year .. That's why the clothing is less than appealing and cheaply made ... And why they can afford to sell things for 1.99. !! Highest GM is made on that clearance crap ... Terrible company , no integrity ... Or company ethics

Disappointed at best

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time

Pros

If you have kids, it's a decent clothing discount

Cons

No payroll for anything. No training hours for any level except store manager or above, no shipment hours, no floor set hours, and extemely high customer service standards and the expectations change quarterly depending on which person you talk to.

Please please stop over working employees! We cannot continue to work for minimum pay and minimum benefits. If it matters at all to retain good people than please change your payroll structure and appreciate the people in the field actually making you money everyday.

Awful company to work for.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at The Children's Place full-time

Pros

Good pay for management team.

Cons

Have begun paying associates part time. Will cut hours in the middle of the week. Lack of communication between store managers and district managers/regional managers. Very unprofessional. No support from upper management. Stores that are not succeeding are left high and dry. Even when you ask for help, it will be weeks before someone from upper management gets to your store, if at all. There are better corporations to work for, this one just doesn't have it together.

Unrealistic expectations; cuts costs whenever possible.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I met some really great people, made some great friends, learned excellent time management from the abundance of tasks to get done. My boss (DM) was awesome. A lot of room for growth. (I started as a sales lead, was a store manager within 2 years and managed 3 different stores for the company; although people drop like flies there so there are always open positions.)

Cons

No payroll!!! (I probably would have stayed if I wasn't forced to run a $1.5 million store on 190 hours a week; same amount of hours I was given for a $900,000 store). Disorganized; there's always changes to policies, product recalls, floorset changes/updates the day after floorset is completed, same day pricing changes. Unrealistic expectations; they will give you an entire season floorset and expect you to get it done with no added hours (no one ever got it done on time, at least in the bigger stores). Shipment was relentless, 120-180 boxes/week with no resources to get it done. Supply ordering is very budgeted. Most months just ordering bags took me to my budget limit so I had to buy handsoap and cleaner out of pocket to have it in store.

Corporate people need to go into a high volume store and watch them work on the hours that they're given with the workload they are given and see how crazy it can get when you factor in the customer traffic and demand. Try a different approach and learn from the people that work for you instead of making ridiculous demands. Get feedback and actually listen to it.

District manager

Former Employee - District Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - District Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great working with the non executive team

Cons

Worst leadership....zero job security....Poor communication within the team

Horrible company to work for

Current Employee - Cashier-Sales Associate in Lewisville, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier-Sales Associate in Lewisville, TX

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only pro about my store is the staff the best team I've ever worked with.

Cons

Minimum wage
    Extreme work load
    Ran like a small business
    Tedious tasks
    Expectations are WAY TOO high for the pay
    They want you to clean the store (mop, sweep, scrape gum off of the floor, take the trash out, you name it)
    They want you to man the store, be a security guard since there are no cameras, sell clothes, and open credit card accounts damn near at the same time.
    I'm not a janitor I'm a sales associate and the pay isn't great enough to even go above and beyond for the company.
    HOURS ARE HORRID!
    And on top of that YOU have to call in to see if you're needed on some days. I'm not a doctor there's no reason I should be "on call" it's hard to plan your personal life around a 50/50 obligation
    No company culture AT ALL
    No proper training

Get rid of the CEO. Job satisfaction is key. Take notes from Nordstrom their inverted pyramid theory is perfect. Nordstrom treats their employees well! Excited to be putting in my 2 weeks! this company will not last much longer if it doesn't improve. Do better! It's retail not rocket science!

The Children's Place Photos