The Children's Place Reviews

Reset

Downhill No Breaks!!!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager/Lead
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager/Lead

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Everything that was once good is now non existent!

Cons

In 2007-2008 new management came in and everything good was gone. Clothes were crappy, more expensive, and they never sent enough of the basics. Every year in August right before school started we would get yelled at by many customers because we never had enough uniforms and the stores were already putting out late fall and holiday collections when parents were in desperate need of back to school clothes. Pay roll was cut so severally in most cases that all visual changes and windows had to be done during business hours. Floor set was a week long project with a window change that usually took three people to complete. Everything was dramatic and designed for impact. Which doesn't work! Upper Management instituted the "Yes I Can" policy which was their way of saying we don't want to deal with customer complaints so literally give the customer anything they want! With that policy the so called "customers" and I use that term loosely, because true customers would not take advantage like some of these people and thieves did. Customers could come in with items that had been washed and worn from 6 months prior and get a full refund if they threw a big enough fit. Parents would return hundreds of dollars of merchandise that the purchased for "kids modeling" all of it would have no tickets attached because as they would claim " the photographer wanted to see them in each out fit before deciding on the one to go with" and we would have to take it back and of course we would get yelled at because we didn't make our numbers. Well how the hell are you supposed to make up $500 on a Tuesday night in January?! Thieves also could get away with walking out of the store with thousands of dollars of merchandise because there were never enough employees monitoring the floor. One thief in particular was known to have stolen over 2,000 dollars worth of merchandise and then return it for merchandise credits in a 2 month time period. She was also well known for cussing out and threatening employees. Her "crew" even found their way into the backroom looking for a particular employee who had called her out on her BS and refused to do any more of her returns. It took a $2,000+ loss for the company to finally ban her from doing returns. Still didn't help because she would just send her friends in to do them. The stores are now very cluttered with lots of extra crap, like jewelry and make up which ends up broken, tangled or smeared all over the store. The extra fixtures for this stuff takes up a lot of much needed space. It is very difficult to walk through a lot of stores and if you have a stroller, forget it. Also there is never enough product for boys. 75% of the store is girls, and what the boys do have is horrible. While there are more girls clothes a lot of it seems very inappropriate for girls ages 4-11. Also upper management does not want to send clothes to the outlets any longer so things will stay in the store far past its time and it still does not go very low. The DM would not allow any sale in the back room so the store was crammed packed with old crap that no one wanted and the new stuff sometimes couldn't even make it to the floor because there was no room for it. On a personal note, I was treated very poorly by the DM. I had been with the company for 5 years before moving on the other managerial roles with other companies. I came back to TCP to work part time so I could finish my bachelors degree. The SM at the time had known me previously and wanted me to work as an Assistant Manager and told me that I could work 4 days a week so I could still go to class 2 mornings. This arrangement worked very well for a couple of years. The DM approved the arrangement in the beginning and it worked well because it allowed the Lead to pick up an extra shift every week, which she really wanted to do. Well then after a DM change (because the first one couldn't take it anymore) I was told by the new DM that I could no longer be an Assistant because I did not have open availability. MW were the only days that I could not work and even still if I was needed from 5-cl, I would come in. She left me with two options, take a demotion and become a lead making $3 less but doing the same work or leave. Never once had their been an issue with my work. I had never had a write up, I had good performance evaluations but all of the sudden I am being forced out because there were two mornings/afternoons I was not available. I was told it was because managers had to able to come in at a drop of a hat and stay into the wee hours of the morning if there was last minute change or sale. I should have left after that but being so close to my degree, I felt that it would be harder to find another job and plus I had a family to help support. From that point on I was treated horribly by the DM. I could go on and on but I would be at my computer for the next 2 days writing about how horrible this company is to work for.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. Quit spending money on marketing that is never used or used for a week and then thrown away. Use that money to allow more payroll, so projects can be done in a timely manner, customers can actually be helped and loss prevention goes down. Finally get rid of the "Yes I Can" policy. A loyal customer is not going to not shop at your store because you tell them no. Loyal customers are reasonable and polite. A loyal customer is not someone who is going to buy $500 worth of merchandise and then return it the next day just because "they don't want it any more" Why would you want someone like that? I personally would have rather they didn't spend the money in the first place so I could spend my valuable time working with a customer who is going to be happy with their purchase.

Great Brand headed the wrong direction...

Former Employee - Store Manager in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Greenville, SC

I worked at The Children's Place full-time

Pros

Great Brand, value and clothing selection for children

Cons

unrealistic workload for all employees with no support from upper management and HQ. i have seen district managers go to bat for their store managers and pushed out the door for doing so. the company is consistently piling the work load on the stores (from over allocation of product, ever changing floor sets that were never funded any payroll. and consistently cutting payroll leaving a maximum of 2 people on the sales floor during peak shopping hours and days (that is of course if you didn't have one of those two working in the back on the everyday delivery of over allocated stock to put into an overflowed stock room. turnover for store managers in my former location has been 4 store managers in less than 2 years!!. training??? there is no longer training hours allocated for either management or sales associates. After hiring a new assistant manager her first week was spent on the register as it was just she and i on the sales floor. also you have lost MOM, she no longer WANTS or NEEDS to shop at TCP, your stores have become a nightmare to shop due to lack of help due to cutting of payroll and your are slowly, correction speeding your reputation in to a brick wall. if something isn't done soon by either Jane Elfers herself or the board of directors stepping in to protect their investments, this company will spiral out of control faster that it is already on pace for.

Advice to Management

get back to basics

RUN Like mad! This place is horrid!

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Analyst in Secaucus, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Analyst in Secaucus, NJ

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PTO time is good, that is the one and only PRO.

Cons

Here we go, so glad I left... 1. The merchant leaders are ego maniac monsters who take no time to explain their needs. Learn some people skills and manners and stop with the better than everyone attitudes. You set a poor example for those you manage. 2. Many leaders in the business are incompetent, unprofessional and have unrealistic expectations. They also play favorites. The CEO shares no direction or strategy with employees. 3. Please don't waste your skill set and time at this company.

Advice to Management

CEO needs to step down. There is no sense of direction.

Sweat Shop.

Former Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team I built and the relationships I gained.

Cons

Terrible return practice with known theft items. Dealing with the ghetto people that steal. Huge work loads with no payroll support.

Advice to Management

District managers should not take advantage of strong managers trying to move to next level. Be in your roll and work in stores. Hold conference calls when scheduled. Don't gossip about managers with your "favorites" Don't have favorites or at least hide the fact that you do have favorites. Appreciate that a true leaders is doning your job for you and have confidence in your own leadership skills and not worry that someone is going to take your job.

Stop the Insanity!

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at The Children's Place full-time

Pros

Great benefits & PTO/ sick time for Management

Cons

Horrible upper management... company is headed in the WRONG direction! Payroll and shrink are connected---WAKE UP!! I worked for this company for 6 years and have worked for several other retailers. The final straw was at Holiday when we had to leave the store un-recovered at night with piles of clothes left unfolded and the store a total wreck to save payroll. Not to mention all of the un-processed freight in the back because we didn't have the coverage/time to get it to the floor. We could make more sales if we had the product on the floor but the company is too short-sighted to realize that. Managers are stressed out of their minds because of completely unrealistic deadlines. No extra payroll to do ANYTHING! Floorsets are all done while the store is open and training is on the job. The company used to be a decent place to work. The last 3 years have been really bad. Decisions coming down from Corporate are not well thought out which results in a lot of double work because they have the whole chain implement something and then 2 weeks later they change their mind. Very frustrating place to work. I currently work in another fast-paced retail environment but I can support the decisions being handed down because they make sense. I don't mind working hard... but I don't like working and re-doing things on a whim with no payroll to support it... especially since I was salary which means that double work is taking time away from my family. The company needs to find a direction and keep heading that way... they are all over the place.

Advice to Management

The payroll model is horrible... and the workload is ridiculous not to mention that double work is constantly being done because Upper management can't make up their minds!

Company is all over the place...Still.

Current Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time (More than a year)

Pros

--decent clothes and awesome prices! -PTO and sick time, that's pretty much it. I've seen better benefits elsewhere.

Cons

-Highest Shrink I've ever seen within any company. How does 1 single store lose $70K in just one year? It's laughable. -Having a visit from Upper management? sure, here's 30 extra hours to make your store look great: "give them exaggeration and not reality" -Floor-set guides are sent out in advance only to be completely changed at the last minute and due to be completed in 24 hours. Can you guess?- zero hours are given to undo what took you a week to complete ( because you ONLY have during business hours to get this done.) Oh yeah and We want you to snap pictures of it with our cheap camera and submit to us by the end of the day. -Training guides are all over the place, some are old some are brand new but, there is no structure to it. How do I train my team when you don't clearly tell me what it is that they need to know? This makes HUGE inconsistencies amongst store teams.

Advice to Management

-This place is so caught up in paying the investors that they don't realize that our merchandise is literally walking out of the door because we can't keep up. It's not a matter of our associates having proper training... we can't keep up! having 2 people on the sales floor on a Back to school Saturday is just ridiculous, but sorry customer we can't bring another associate out to ring you up because there are only two of us, yes you can speak to the store manager because it is Me, but if you can give me just a moment or two since i'm declining this customer's return (and I don't know why she's declined by the way) and yelling "HI, WELCOME TO THE CHILDREN"S PLACE!" to every customer that walks in while I'm handing out blue mesh bags to any person that walks by. Go figure. - Your associates aren't complaining about hourly wages, they want MORE HOURS to earn more money! -You know when you have regional Conference calls to teach us Store Mangers how to be better managers? guess what, your on speaker and we are: writing a schedule or processing damages or auditing paperwork or processing shipment. See what happens when you don't give us payroll? -The Experience? I challenge you The Children's Place: out of the 1,111 stores, tell me who actually uses it? I know I don't, so it must be 1,110, sorry, I don't have time because I'm trying to help my associate process 25 boxes of shipment before the 21 boxes arrive tomorrow. -On top of everything else why do I have to monitor our Plastic Bag supply? There have been countless times that we have run out because we can only order 4 boxes at a time. (and that's if and only if we sacrifice buying toilet paper or printer ink in any given month...) Hello, my name is replenish based upon sales volume. HQ: plan a surprise visits to stores. Don't get upset with what you find, It's our reality.

The company was run but unethical women that risked their working relationships to achieve good numbers.

Former Employee - Assistant Production Manager in Secaucus, NJ
    Former Employee - Assistant Production Manager in Secaucus, NJ

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The money was good for a position in NJ.

Cons

The environment was poor and the workers were stressed and extremely unpleasant. The workload is unmanageable and quit every week.

Advice to Management

9. Run away...The worst place I ever worked...a bunch of over-jobbed people running the field!

Former Employee - District Manager
    Former Employee - District Manager

I worked at The Children's Place full-time

Pros

Good benefit time, but that doesn't off-set the fact you won't enjoy it because they can't get their act together and make a good decision.

Cons

Too many to list....bad idea.....if you are considering it, don't do it....you will regret it.

Advice to Management

Hold people accountable....stop the nepotism....turned into a good old boys club instead of a business.

10. It's very sad

Current Employee - Key Holder in Voorhees, NJ
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Voorhees, NJ

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (More than a year)

Pros

great discount, bright bubbly setting in the store, catchy signage, always has sales

Cons

the company makes too many changes that are set up for failure, horrible payroll, not enough hours to give to everyone, rude management such as ssm's, asm's, and dms, the worst customers ever!

Advice to Management

be nice to your associates. as for the company find the payroll otherwise nothing will get done

Current leadership wave from the Gap/Old Navy are an unprofessional "boys club".

Former Employee - District Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - District Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Store Managers work harder than any other retail company out there. They are good people who don't realize their worth. The product is good for the quality and price but the way the teams are worked and under-appreciated to get the merchandise on the sales floor and sold is not fair.

Cons

The current leadership "wave" is unqualified. Everyone was put into position one level higher than they were at the Gap. They are not ready for their current roles and they cover for eachother-even HR, when big issues such as abuse and discrimination are brought to light.

Advice to Management

Jane Elfers and Natalie Levy are AMAZING retailers! They can find better stores leadership and make The Children's Place a top company to work for if they only bring in quality stores leadership.

RSS Feed </> Embed