The Children's Place

Updated December 17, 2014
2.2

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 40 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 58 reviews)

• Top managment would make last minute decisions and we would have to stay late to redo floor sets (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

The place

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

For a mom wanting some pin money. This is the place for you. Show's you been in the job market when being a mom.

Cons

Not enough money in it, not enough hours

It's Retail

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Exton, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Exton, PA

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

For part time employees the scheduling was pretty flexible! There was always something to do so you wouldn't get bored to often while working. The employee discount was the bestiary!

Cons

Obviously the holiday season is rough. Longer hours and you could get screwed over if another employee called out. My store really pushed the credit card enrollment which was stressful.

Asst Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Kingwood, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Kingwood, TX

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The managers are treated pretty well, all depending if course on the district manager. Pay is good for retail management. Hourly associate pay greatly varies.

Cons

Not a lot of support from upper management. They think you can work miracles on a floorset with very few hours alloted to do it.

Better communication!

A really great place to be empowered and grow.

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Austin, TX

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very flexible, many opportunities grow, great management ( or maybe I've just been lucky)

Cons

Not many hours for a sales associate and the pay is not the best. Strive to move up and this will change. Corporate tends demand too much and it doesn't take much consideration in other factors a store faces when they set tight deadlines.

For management store level keep doing what you are doing. For management at the corporate level, take into inconsideration what a store will face daily when setting high expectations to meet at specific deadlines and understand you have very passionate people so harness that.

Not so bad, but training isn't that great.

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Columbus, OH

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly staff, time off requests are easy to be made, company values are strong, they seem to want to check on you often; which is good if you feel overwhelmed. They also seem to move up the ladder fairly quick, which is also nice.

Cons

Not too much of a discount, they want to keep their managers late but don't want to pay them overtime, they try to train you for harder jobs; but only want to train you for around 3 days, they're very disorganized in their back room (which is where the product is) and they constantly are over-staffed or under-staffed, which screws people out of hours.

DISCUSS THINGS WITH YOUR EMPLOYEES! We aren't mind readers, and we don't know what's going on unless management tells us. Don't short the training hours, I can't train someone if you don't give me the hours to do so.

Horrible!!!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cute Clothing for kids!

Cons

Hired me but never gave me more then 10hrs a week

Stop going to the Hamptons and be a manager!!!!

BEWARE OF FAKE REVIEWS MADE BY CORPORATE

Former Employee - Sales Lead
    Former Employee - Sales Lead

I worked at The Children's Place full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Met a great friend, literally, nothing else.

Cons

I've already made a review BUT I'm here to warn you about the FAKE reviews made by corporate! There a handful of reviews below me that are obvious it's corporate trying to make this place look good. If you read all the rest you'll see they are 90% saying almost the exact same things about how horrible it is to work there. My friend still works there and she goes to the district meetings and they talk about all these negative reviews on glassdoor. They see all the problems on here, yet they still ignore them and act like they have no idea why people hate/hated working there? So of course it makes sense that people are making fake reviews. Also, don't even read the reviews of district managers bc one, they have NO idea what it's like working in the actual store, not just sitting in an office, two, of course they are going to say good stuff to make the place look good. These people hands down are slave drivers with IMPOSSIBLE expectations and they don't care about you or your family. Yes, you can accomplish everything they want you to do, BUT you WILL have to break rules/laws, sacrifice your diet, sanity, morals, and family to do so. These people are vampires that will suck the life out of you and pay you nothing for it. A sales lead, assistant manager, and manager are the SAME THING. If you're a sales lead you do 90% of what the manager does, you just get paid 10-15 dollars less. (Smart move TCP) You WILL work your butt I off, you WILL have frequent meltdowns/panic attacks from the work, and you WILL be highly under appreciated. They 100% don't tell you in the interview or upfront exactly how much work you'll have or how many expectations they'll have of you. Also, it's not that the regular associates are lazy or just don't want to put effort in bc it's a part time job, they get like 6-10 hours a week at like 7.30 an hour and have the lead or manager constantly up their butt bc the manager/sales lead only have them to help with the endless tasks that should take 3-5 people to get it all done. If this company has a 2 rating and TONS of bad reviews it's for a reason, listen to it and save yourself months or years of pointless trouble! Don't assume that all the bad reviews are by people burned by tcp, speaking for myself, I read the reviews, but was misled by the company and tricked into thinking this was a good opportunity, and it ruined 6 months of my life and I just want to try my hardest to make sure people don't fall into this same path. It's not only associates who suffer, customers too. You have so much stuff to do between only 2 people, that the stores a mess, hard to shop, the associates are so aggravated and stressed they are rude to customers or short or just don't have any time at all to help them. Plus only saving FIVE percent with a place card????? Seriously! Interest is like 28%. Ridiculous.

There's no point in this bc management doesn't care, they think the companies doing great and they won't change.

It made me hate retail.

Current Employee - Cashier-Sales Associate in Thornhill, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Cashier-Sales Associate in Thornhill, ON (Canada)

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked with friends, so it was a fun time. Other than that... no pros.

Cons

Bad management, low wage, and no structure.

Get organized and setup a structure.

Pretty Good Company

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Austin, TX

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great sales on clothing
    Promotes from within
    Lots of contests between stores to win cool prizes

Cons

Not enough money spent on payroll, so the store isn't always as covered as it should be.
    Too many visits from Regional managers - some stores get tons of visits while others never get one.
    District managers are not trained properly and some don't make an attempt to learn.
    Furious customers becuase of changes in return policies, coupons, etc...

Evening out regional manager visits - so each store gets visited an equal amount of time.
    Too many changes within the company such as policies, coupons, etc.. confuses customers and they don't like it.
    More money should be spent on payroll so that its not on 2/2 coverage even during peak times.
    Benefits to part-time employees, might make them stay longer.
    Having more full time employees, not just SM and ASM. All mangers should be full time.

Good and Bad

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time (more than an year)

Pros

During the winter, traffic is low and the atmosphere is more relaxed and peaceful. The employees are super nice and polite.

Cons

Getting a raise is difficult because it depends on the teams performance altogether. Customers tend to get more rude and think they are entitled to a coupon without presenting one.

You get to say you had the opportunity to move up

The Children's Place Photos