The Children's Place

Updated September 30, 2014
2.2

The Children's Place President & CEO Jane Elfers
Jane Elfers

Pros
  • Employee discount is good especially since it can be used on all sale and clearance (in 37 reviews)

• Good money, good quality clothing, great discount on the clothes (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Associates are expected to train upper management when unqualified management is hired (in 53 reviews)

• Need to have more hours then they give for Back to School, Christmas, and floor sets (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Manager Starter Job.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good discount, good benefits for full timers, depends on manager on balancing schedule but I had a good experience.
    its a fast paced environment so your delegation as a manager come to test. If you are the typer of manager that wants to sit and chill on the computer this is not the job for you. Energetic environment with right staff.

Cons

District Managers need to ACTUALLY train their managers, they are the ones representing the company.
    not enough hours given from corporate to develop their associates.
    very part time (except for holidays)

Store sales Manager

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Vacation Pay of 22 days

Cons

You can never find a good time to take a vacation. I tried to schedule an island vacation twice and had to cancel due to a new store opening and shipments too heavy to leave my team. The shipment schedule states x amount of boxes a week for the month on the monthly workload calender, then you receive three times the shipment (160) boxes a day and your store is on 167 hours a week payroll, which is 2-2 coverage, but don't fall behind the store to floor process. There is never a good time to take a vacation and feel like you can step away without coming back to twice the workload waiting for you.

There is absolutely no reason to do a huge floor set only to update it exactly 3 days after pictures are posted for corp to review, then floor set 2 comes out. My customer hasn't had the chance to see the first one. We do window changes 3 times a week and have 1/2 hour to open the store and run reports, open registers, do LOD trackers and Place trackers and sign the event. We close down the store 15 min after we lock the door to try and pick up two additional hours for Saturdays schedule (so people can eat). We need more payroll to handle the work load.

Great Store Management! Great Co-Workers!

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at The Children's Place part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The store management was very organized and makes working there super fun! The discount is great especially when clothing is on sale. The managers at the store had worked there for over 15 years and love the company.

Cons

With any retail job, weekends and some holidays are required. The pay isn't the greatest for the entry level employees, and the raises weren't that great either. They also cut the employee discount within the time I worked there. Sometimes we would have to change around the in a short amount of time (and one time on Christmas Eve!).

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Love to work here, but there's a lot I don't agree with

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time

Pros

Great benefits love working here, but there's a lot that has changed since I first started and there needs to be some changes In upper management if the company wants to be successful

Cons

High turnover and hiring from outside the company hurts the business. Outside hires don't understand the workload and hours so they end up leaving. Others leave because they cannot advance due to outside hires. Lots of floorsets, updates, price changes etc workload is so high you can't focus on your business. They want you to reach your goals and numbers and you can't even take the time to focus on customers bc of the work.. They want you to be sales driven but that doesn't happen. They force you and hold you accountable for reaching their credit card goals and survey results.. Makes you question job security..

Give internal candidates a chance. They understand the business and workload. Understand that in this economy not a lot of people want credit cards so don't make us feel like we have to pressure our customers to sign up.. They don't like it.. Also stop with all the updates. The floorsets should be done once a month and that's it! Don't need to redo a wall 5 times in a week!!! We want to focus on our customers so let us!

Awful working experience.

Former Employee - Sales Lead  in  Sandy, UT
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Sandy, UT

I worked at The Children's Place part-time for less than a year

Pros

A fast paced environment where there is always something going on so you are never really bored. The discount is pretty awesome.

Cons

Some of the biggest cons I found while working there: Low pay, no payroll, they hardly gave any training to their employees, sometimes the workload is ridiculous, horrible district manager, everything changes last minute, store managers and employees are overworked, and they are not flexible with schedules at all!

I have been with the company for over 5 years and am now a Sales Lead.

Current Employee - Sales Lead  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people I work with are more like family to me vs coworkers. Our discount is 30% off which helps if you have children.

Cons

They don't give enough payroll to complete what they are asking of their employees. I feel like I work so hard and only get paid pennies. They only offer full time positions to store managers and assistant managers but require that you have open availability. The workload is always heavy and they always, ALWAYS send over updates to changes they originally put into place. They have no idea what is going on at the store level but wants every store to comply with every move, change, and /or request.

Find out what each individual store is in need of from the district manager, stop generalizing stores based off another that doesn't compare in sales, payroll or merchandise. Bring back transfers!!!!! It will help us push what is selling at our location. Consider offering more full time positions to seasoned associates.

Unrealistic expecations!

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great PTO and good Pay for Mgmt

Cons

As someone who loves a very busy, challenging atmosphere, the workload is ridiculous. You do not get the chance to appreciate the work you have accomplished because corporate changes it just before the moment its due and doesn't change the due date. You are running around 100% of the time to attempt to keep up only to be told that you need to be at the same time talking to every customer multiple times on 2 person coverage with 1 of those 2 people ringing out customers the whole time, leaving one person to the customers and all the workload, and security from all the theft... . I never even hear from my DM-and when I do he is worried about dust bunnies! Really?!

Give us payroll!!!! It means-more product processed, neater organized stores, and customer service. All of which means more $ for you. Instead of cutting payroll...how about cutting some of the crazy benefits given at the corporate level-unlimited sick time?? Never have I heard of such a thing prior. The insane workload for 1 person to handle really is ridiculous. It leaves employees without that sense of accomplishment. Do not totally change a floorset that has been worked on and prepped on for a week +, just hours before it is due and tell us "it is still due at the normal time..oh and you have to be out of the store 30 mins after closing and before opening, so do not use any extra hours to get the work done".

Great job, I enjoyed my experience there.

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate

I worked at The Children's Place part-time for less than a year

Pros

Very good discount if you have children in your life; co-workers and management were friendly; great environment for retail.

Cons

There weren't a lot of hours to be given, some weeks I wouldn't get any hours; management seemed a little passive at times to any issues that might have arisen.

Fast-Paced, Demanding Work with little to no recognition or acknowledgment from upper management - wage poor.

I have been working at The Children's Place full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people, it is their passion and commitment that uphold the Co.

Cons

No room for advancement, Co. is reactive not proactive in all areas, no recognition unless its taken upon yourself, compensation poor if not forgotten.

Stop sieving money into unnecessary investments like the ridiculous weekly marketing changes that no one recognizes or appreciates - THAT JUST END UP IN THE TRASH! TRY RECYCLING SOMETHING! If you can manage to same a few dollars try to reinvest them in the associates, they have more than earned a raise or a pay increase something more than minimum wage - Burger King pays better than us!

Started out fun, but got worse over time. The company doesn't get it.

Current Employee - Sales Lead  in  Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Fargo, ND

I have been working at The Children's Place part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Fun environment, friendly people
    -Have some freedom in some visual displays
    -Opportunities to grow within the store

Cons

-The company does not compensate employees for the workload they put on you.
    -Expectations from the company and district managers are completely unrealistic. They cut your hours but increase workload.
    -Was only part time but worked full time hours
    -Did the same work as the assistant managers but was paid much less
    -Constant sale sets, price changes, window changes, visual changes each week...sometimes multiple times per week

If you invest the money into your employees, you will reap the benefits. Employees will be happy, will work harder and your customers will be more satisfied with a fun environment.

The Children's Place Photos

Worked for The Children's Place? Contribute to the Community!