The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

Updated December 12, 2014
4.3

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints President Thomas S. Monson
Thomas S. Monson

Pros
  • The work-life balance is excellent, you will rarely work more than 40 hours in a week (in 10 reviews)

• Family friendly work environment, meaning they understood family emergencies (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • The dress code is business professionals so no slacks and always a suit and tie even during the summer, it gets pretty old (in 5 reviews)

• The Church is a conservative organization and like most large organizations can have its fair share of politics (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Business Intelligence Engineer

I have been working at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

Pros

Can't beat the work environment. My manager is incredible as well as my coworkers.

Cons

None that I can think of

Excellent benefits. Treats employees extremely well

I have been working at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits available immediately upon hire. 401k with match to 6%, as well as pension for many positions. Highly subsidized health insurance options

Cons

Slightly lower pay scale than in the general market, however the benefits more than make up for this. Not much else.

I worked at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent mentorship opportunities, nice to work with people who share the same vision.

Cons

From an intern perspective, there haven't been many cons. At times work can be slow depending on the schedule of my manager, but that varies based on teams.

Excellent culture, fun and meaningful work, very flexible an provides a great work life balance

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Riverton, UT
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Riverton, UT

I have been working at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints full-time (more than an year)

Pros

High quality professionals, everyone shares the same goals and values. Excellent benefits and competitive pay. Work is meaningful and culture is not highly competitive.

Cons

Can be somewhat political and at times slow moving. People in leadership positions tend to stay put so it can be difficult to advance.

Working for the LDS Church is a wonderful experience

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I get to work with great volunteers and leaders. It is a spiritual experience being able to help people who are struggling with self reliance.
    The headquarters staff are very knowledgeable and competent and truly try to lead in a kind and loving way while maintaining strict standards and setting difficult to reach goals.

Cons

Pay is fairly comparable to industry but somewhat below. It is difficult to determine metrics of success, because success is not based on a profit.

Excellent experience

Former Employee - PM Intern in Riverton, UT
    Former Employee - PM Intern in Riverton, UT

I worked at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to work, the culture is great.

Cons

Hard to work with manager.

very stable to work for but not a lot of growth potential

Current Employee - Custodial Supervisor
    Current Employee - Custodial Supervisor

I have been working at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They still have a pension program as well as a 401k. Management is very supportive of family issues.

Cons

Lower than average salaries and little opportunities for growth or advancement.

Wonderful place to work

Current Employee - Director in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Director in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Excellent work environment. You always know that you are working for a cause that matters. Quality workmates, excellent benefits, reasonable pay. You won't get rich working for the Church, but that isn't the reason you want to work here anyway. Good opportunities for advancement and even for career changes within the same organization.

Cons

Unfortunately, politics are alive and well at the church. Too often, there is a tendency to sugarcoat things rather than telling truths that might upset upper management. No chances for women to advance to higher-level positions.

Open more meaningful opportunities to women. Tell it like it is to the brethren, instead of sugarcoating reality.

It was all positive and I was taken care of very well

Former Employee - Missionary in Praia (Cape Verde)
    Former Employee - Missionary in Praia (Cape Verde)

I worked at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They are very people oriented

Cons

The chain of command is very strict and does not allow error.

The environment is healthy, and a great place to work with high standards.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

The benefits package is very generous. Co-workers are friendly, helpful, and very talented in their specialties.

Cons

Sometimes the noise level is somewhat distracting in a cubicle environment, but would be the same in any other company.

In my case the management is the best I've had over the past 26 years. My suggestion is to continue with the same management style of encouraging their employees to excel.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints Photos