The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints Reviews

Updated Jun 24, 2014

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints President Thomas S. Monson

Thomas S. Monson

Pros:
  • "The benefits are great and there are outstanding people to work with"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Great work environment with passionate, dedicated people"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "The dress code is business professionals so no slacks and always a suit and tie even during the summer, it gets pretty old"
    in 5 reviews
  • "The Church is a conservative organization and like most large organizations can have its fair share of politics"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

COJCOLDS

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are a lot of pros and benefits and work life balance compensation.

ConsThere are a lot of cons of office culture, time-off policies and personal growth

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider office culture, time-off policies and personal growth.

not as family oriented as they profess

ProsI met some wonderful people during my time in the company.

Consyou are forced to give 10% of your gross income back to the company. on top of being underpaid, it was too much. they are family oriented, but when you need to be with your family, they refuse to let you go home. when I began to disagree with the company, they turned my family against me and made them believe I was a bad person.

Advice to Senior Managementhonesty never hurt anyone.

Don't work there if you respect yourself

Incident/Tech Specialist (Current Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsStability of employment. It seems to me that no matter what you do nothing can cause you to get fired.

ConsComplete incompetence of management. Even though it is supposed to be different working for the church they make it seems like a badly ran business.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn something in your field and start treating your employees like they are worth something with their knowledge of what they are doing.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Works well with school

Handler (Current Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsThey are very accommodating with your school schedule, and they are very good about allowing you time off. It is a rather nice environment and the people are friendly.

ConsThey no longer offer full time positions, so if you are looking to work here and eventually get benefits you might want to go somewhere else. They expect a lot out of you and they expect you to be dedicated to your job but they don't show the same dedication.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on valuing your employees

Overall, not a bad student job, but definitely not a good one either.

Student Assistant (Former Employee)
    Provo, UT

ProsMy supervisor was very willing to work with my school schedule, which was a major plus since classes and school holidays were sometimes sporadic.

ConsNo room for growth and no performance incentives of any kind. This is strictly a job and nothing else.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the student employees know that they are appreciated and treat them with respect. There are a lot of incompetent student workers out there, but the majority are hard-working and strive to do a good job.

great environment; lousy middle management

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

Prosgreat work environment; clean, well run, with excellent benefits including a pension plan if you continue to work there for a few years.

ConsTerrible middle management; very competitive environment where I would expect to find something much more collaborative. Middle management takes credit for work and ideas of employees, and is threatened by those with ideas.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis needs to be fixed. The work done is important, and I cannot imagine Upper Management being pleased with the way that many are treated in this work environment.

Good Experience

Facilities Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat opportunity to align work efforts with your religious beliefs. Common values among work associates is also a nice convenience. Good benefits.

ConsTenure and longevity seems to be more valued than talent and potential. Frustrating to see the politics and lack of taking accountability in church employment.

Great job, low pay

Salt Lake City, UT

ProsExcellent place to work with a great atmosphere. Co-workers that share the same values.

ConsLow payscale. Very little recognition of employee contribution. Dress code is VERY formal - suit/tie/coat to work every day at all times (you can take off your suit coat when you're sitting at your desk, otherwise you have to have it on). Very little advancement opportunity.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to HR - build a rewards system that actually means something, where employees are rewarded for the work they actually do instead of just giving broad "merit increases" annually to everyone.

Stable workplace with satisfying work.

User Experience Designer (Current Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsGreat to work with people who have common beliefs and values. Gratifying to work on projects that further the Church's mission. Very accommodating to family life. Great health benefits and 401k matching. Plenty of interesting projects to work on.

ConsComplicated bureaucracy is frustrating. Some departments aren't great in helping with career development and training.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great Experience

Processing Clerk III (Current Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

Pros- Great Benefits (ins, PTO, etc)

Cons- Fairly difficult to move up
    - Very specific culture

Advice to Senior Management- Give hard working innovators chances to move up more frequently.

Worked for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints CEO Thomas S. Monson . All 105 reviews posted anonymously by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints employees.