The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

Updated September 16, 2014
4.2

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints President Thomas S. Monson
Thomas S. Monson

Pros
  • The benefits are great and there are outstanding people to work with (in 9 reviews)

• Great work environment with passionate, dedicated people (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The dress code is business professionals so no slacks and always a suit and tie even during the summer, it gets pretty old (in 5 reviews)

• The Church is a conservative organization and like most large organizations can have its fair share of politics (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Hard place to work, segregating and backstabbing

Former Employee - Service Media Professional  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Service Media Professional in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

A few cool people to work for, and has great benefits (For full-timers) However...

Cons

I worked for over a year and not one new position was created. Instead, they hire "On-calls" employees with "Less benefits" than the full timers. The hours are short and the only work you do is grunt work that the full-timers give you. They are a over population of these on-calls that the only possible way to get hired full-time and make ends meet is from a position replacement from a full-time employee decides to move departments (This happens very rarely) and all on-calls pile and jump over this opening like rats. And they most likely hire another full-timer anyways, so the competition and office politics is very high (Kind of a oxymoron for a church, right?) BE AWAERE, if you want to work for the LDS church, it is VERY hard, to almost impossible to have a good, long-term, full-time job. I was lucky to find another job elsewhere, since they were fellow on-calls that were working there for over 3 years and still not moving up the latter. Not a good system at all! They were also backstabbing within the office, where if anyone makes mistakes, they don't tell you, but instead stop working with you. That's not how it's done in the business world. We all make mistakes, but we learn from them with getting feedback from others. Hardest company i've ever worked for. Beware!

Cut the high office politics within the company/church. Don't hire so many on-calls, and create new openings. The church is growing, right? And stop segregating the office.

Great employees. Terrible management.

Current Employee - Customer Service  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is a great opportunity help people. Most of the people you work with are really nice. They are fairly flexible with work hours too so it is ideal if you are in school.

Cons

As the title says the management is terrible. Have been told on a few occations that my job is just to do what I am told. I have been compared to a trained monkey by my supervisor in my yearly performance review and the other supervisor even agreed. Management has different rules from everyone else. Mine will threaten us with our jobs about improper use of internet in an email and then will go of Facebook right after clicking send. He also likes to take naps while at work. My supervisor and his boss also worked for 4 months to deny a coworker a pay raise that he had earned by department rules. Only time I have seen a manager be diciplined for behavior was when my boss' boss' boss screamed at an employee in front of everyone and shared some racist remarks. My manager tried writing me up for not showing up for a shift that was scheduled last minute while I was on vacation. We try and make suggestions on improvements and are either told that it would be too hard/too much work to fix that issue so it wont be done or that it is a great idea and they will look into it except they rarely do. It took us a whole year once to get a broken phone number connected correctly. Very hostile work environment as far as the management is concerned

Actually listen to the employees. Don't put unnecessary rules in place. Expect the same of yourselves that you expect of the people taking calls. There shouldn't be a different set of rules that only applies to a certain group. Thy and actually help your employees do their job instead of being a hindrance.

COJCOLDS

I worked at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

Pros

There are a lot of pros and benefits and work life balance compensation.

Cons

There are a lot of cons of office culture, time-off policies and personal growth

Consider office culture, time-off policies and personal growth.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

not as family oriented as they profess

I have been working at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints for more than a year

Pros

I met some wonderful people during my time in the company.

Cons

you are forced to give 10% of your gross income back to the company. on top of being underpaid, it was too much. they are family oriented, but when you need to be with your family, they refuse to let you go home. when I began to disagree with the company, they turned my family against me and made them believe I was a bad person.

honesty never hurt anyone.

Don't work there if you respect yourself

Current Employee - Incident/Tech Specialist  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Incident/Tech Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

Pros

Stability of employment. It seems to me that no matter what you do nothing can cause you to get fired.

Cons

Complete incompetence of management. Even though it is supposed to be different working for the church they make it seems like a badly ran business.

Learn something in your field and start treating your employees like they are worth something with their knowledge of what they are doing.

Works well with school

Current Employee - Handler  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Handler in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They are very accommodating with your school schedule, and they are very good about allowing you time off. It is a rather nice environment and the people are friendly.

Cons

They no longer offer full time positions, so if you are looking to work here and eventually get benefits you might want to go somewhere else. They expect a lot out of you and they expect you to be dedicated to your job but they don't show the same dedication.

Work on valuing your employees

Overall, not a bad student job, but definitely not a good one either.

Former Employee - Student Assistant  in  Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Student Assistant in Provo, UT

I worked at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

Pros

My supervisor was very willing to work with my school schedule, which was a major plus since classes and school holidays were sometimes sporadic.

Cons

No room for growth and no performance incentives of any kind. This is strictly a job and nothing else.

Let the student employees know that they are appreciated and treat them with respect. There are a lot of incompetent student workers out there, but the majority are hard-working and strive to do a good job.

great environment; lousy middle management

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

Pros

great work environment; clean, well run, with excellent benefits including a pension plan if you continue to work there for a few years.

Cons

Terrible middle management; very competitive environment where I would expect to find something much more collaborative. Middle management takes credit for work and ideas of employees, and is threatened by those with ideas.

This needs to be fixed. The work done is important, and I cannot imagine Upper Management being pleased with the way that many are treated in this work environment.

Good Experience

Current Employee - Facilities Manager
    Current Employee - Facilities Manager

Pros

Great opportunity to align work efforts with your religious beliefs. Common values among work associates is also a nice convenience. Good benefits.

Cons

Tenure and longevity seems to be more valued than talent and potential. Frustrating to see the politics and lack of taking accountability in church employment.

Great job, low pay

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent place to work with a great atmosphere. Co-workers that share the same values.

Cons

Low payscale. Very little recognition of employee contribution. Dress code is VERY formal - suit/tie/coat to work every day at all times (you can take off your suit coat when you're sitting at your desk, otherwise you have to have it on). Very little advancement opportunity.

Advice to HR - build a rewards system that actually means something, where employees are rewarded for the work they actually do instead of just giving broad "merit increases" annually to everyone.

Worked for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints? Contribute to the Community!