The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

Reset
4.2
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints President Thomas S. Monson
Thomas S. Monson

Pros
  • The work-life balance is excellent, you will rarely work more than 40 hours in a week (in 10 reviews)

• Great work environment and awesome people to work with (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • The dress code is business professionals so no slacks and always a suit and tie even during the summer, it gets pretty old (in 5 reviews)

• Same cons that most large organizations have (slow to change, lots of bureaucracy) (in 4 reviews)

1. Beware of the Global Service Center

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I absolutely love working with people who shared my values. I also liked the location, because it's walking distance from trax.

Cons

So.many.cons. I've never cried at work until I came to this place. Working here has truly taken away my faith in humanity. Here's why: 1) They micromanage you TO THE BONE! I'm talking, we have daily "priority" checklists. PLUS, we are required to report an hourly breakdown of our days. 2) If you go over your break by a minute, you'll be told that if that happens again--it will be reported to HR 3) toxic work environment 2) crappy hours 3) non-responsive HR. I can't go into details here. but so many things have been reported and they did NOTHING. 4) management's unwillingness to work with your school schedule. if you're a student, forget this place. you'll never be done with your degree! Then, you'll be stuck here forever. (I've seen it happen...) 5) You'll be taken advantage of. And let me elaborate--you're hired as a customer service representative but they give you "Subject Matter Expert tasks." That means, you could be writing knowledge base articles, doing quality assurance for calls, training new people. And all of that for NO pay increase. 6) They will bombard you with things to do. So many things to do--all the time! And when you don't do them, management sends out nasty emails about you wasting the lord's money. 7) You have to ask--via team chat--to go to the bathroom. (are we in elementary school?)

Advice to Management

Please stop treating us like children.

2. Parking Attendant

Former Employee - Parking Attendant in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Parking Attendant in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great job as a college Student. The work was fun. The environment was great. The Manager was great and the parking lead was awesome.

Cons

I felt like I was a pawn with the assistant manager. I didn't feel like he cared for me at all. I tried to perform as best as I could but sometimes it didn't matter.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone equally. Maybe find a new assistant manager or have them take some classes to help them become more caring.

3. Satisfying work

Former Employee - Latin America Operations Analyst in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Latin America Operations Analyst in Provo, UT

I worked at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work on helping move forward the Church's mission and is very satisfying. The people are great and friendly.

Cons

Sometimes behind the times, very traditional.

5. Just like any other enterprise. Just with a little more Jesus.

Current Employee - Solutions Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Solutions Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Solving real problems that really matter. It is all about the individual, not a lot more to say on that subject.

Cons

There are plenty of politics involved and the inability to decide on anything permeates throughout. It is about who you know.

Advice to Management

Provide firm clear direction and then follow through

Be careful what department you go and work for.

I worked at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There is a sense of purpose in knowing your work is making a difference to the World. I have worked in different departments in the Church and in some areas, there is a good camaraderie and sense of purpose. The benefits are excellent; you'd be hard pressed to find across the board benefits as rich. The monetary compensation is typically low market although there are some exceptions. The salaries are more competitive with entry level people and grow a pretty sizable delta with more experienced hires.

Cons

I wouldn't work in ICS (Information and Communications Services) no matter what right now. The environment of the whole group, especially in HR is pretty toxic. HR drives many of the decisions both overtly and behind the scenes and they aren't that savvy to be able to do that. They seem way more interested in their own power and legacy than doing what is best for the business. They make it pretty obvious they have the power to fire individuals or reorg the group at their whim and even leadership is afraid to challenge them. As a result the directors often seem uncertain or schizophrenic in their decisions. It is extraordinarily political and often who you know and are friends with is more important than what you can do. It is pretty clear to most that employees are viewed as a commodity that can be discarded or at least have their role minimized at a moment's notice. Outside of that one department, I believe the management to be much more open to different ideas and supportive of individual success. Generally in the whole Church, it is extraordinarily difficult to get a raise or promotion outside of the typical cost of living increase each year. (They do call it a merit increase, but it seems to have little to do with merit.)

Advice to Management

There is a BIG disconnect between the Brethren whom I believe most of us can agree are inspired to lead, and the directors and line management. I am sure if some of the GA's knew what was being done at the Church, they would find it repulsive. It is not uncommon for a line manager or director to make a questionable mandate and claim it is the will of the prophet, apostle, Seventy, Bishop etc.

landscape supervisor

Current Employee - Landscape Supervisor in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Landscape Supervisor in Portland, OR

Pros

good environment good people to work with

Cons

No advancement no bonus no promotion no matter how hard you work for them

8. Secure Job w/Opportunities for Growth if...

Current Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Great benefits. Inspiring cause - it's fun to work on products that benefit and sometimes completely change peoples' lives. Fascinating to see how products come about and take part in councils and strategizing sessions. Compensation for lower and middle management is fair to above average. Secure job. Opportunities for growth if you work hard, network outside your portfolio, and pay attention. Pleasantly surprised by several managers and supervisors who have gone above and beyond to mentor me, give me opportunities, push me out of my comfort zone and generally assist in career development as a working mom (this shouldn't be a shocker, I know, but it is given the patriarchal nature of the Church). Work-life balance is great and family life is respected and supported.

Cons

No paid maternity leave so I had to use all my vacation and sick leave and came back to work after three weeks. Pay is fine though once you negotiate salary, promotions are difficult to get and yearly increases average 2-3%. Difficult to get rid of underperformers. Highly political atmosphere. Not as open to gathering data before a project starts and feedback once it's in production as one would hope. Still pretty top-down approach to product development ("we know what the customer needs" vs. "let's find out what the customer needs") but there are pockets of hope.

Advice to Management

Update the maternity leave policy to reflect the Church's commitment to supporting families. Need more collaboration and respect between departments. Don't be afraid of user/customer feedback. Read reviews on Glassdoor :)

9. LDS

I have been working at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (More than 10 years)

Pros

Blessings, service, fun, integrity, love

Cons

I do not know of any cons

10. Real meaning behind your code

Current Employee - Web Developer in Riverton, UT
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Riverton, UT

I have been working at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Real meaning behind your code. Prayer, devotional, and decisions with spiritual emphasis. Flexible work hours. Family friendly. Great work/life balance. Wonderful benefits.

Cons

Slightly lower average salary. Lots of politics. Some really old-school developers that don't stay up-to-date with modern tech.

Advice to Management

Only hire the best, modern, and passionate developers. A players hire A players, B players hire C players, and C players sink the ship.

11. Great Experience

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Riverton, UT
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Riverton, UT

Pros

A lot of great work experience that I've been able to use on my resumes They valued and depended on their interns (I rarely felt like the "intern") Great building (fitness room, cafeteria, break rooms, and lighting) Some job perks even for interns

Cons

No paid holidays (so if you wanted full pay for that week you'd have to work the extra hours before, or after, the holiday) The public transportation in that part of Riverton isn't great

RSS Feed </> Embed