The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

Profile Unclaimed

Volunteer Representative

Former Employee - Missionary in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Missionary in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I learned so much by having to learn to speak Korean and being out on the streets talking with people all day. If was a fun time learning to work with people and be a better teacher. No other place will you get such good leadership opportunity than as a district or zone leader, or as a trainer or senior companion over a new missionary.

Cons

It was long and demanding hours, although they went by all too fast. There weren't really any cons, considering I volunteered to be there. I knew what I was signing up for, and it blew past all my expectations.

Thanks for the opportunity to serve, and for the support from headquarters!

Great place to work

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Riverton, UT
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Riverton, UT

I worked at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Good work/life balance
    - Great retirement plan (401k + pension)
    - Fun workplace

Cons

- Same cons that most large organizations have (slow to change, lots of bureaucracy)

Make sure to get some input from your developers and administrators on technology decisions. They are the people who can see past the vendor's pitch and are more than willing to help you make the right choice.

Wonderful environment, slow growth in job trajectory (as with most non-profits)

Current Employee - Accounting Associate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Accounting Associate in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The environment is extremely positive and supportive. The company values are set so clearly and based in scripture. The work-life balance is excellent, you will rarely work more than 40 hours in a week. They are also flexible if you want to come early and leave early or vice-versa.

Cons

It will take a while to be promoted. You will have to work a bit extra for an innovative idea to be passed on and enacted. Some people have been there so long they have lost a lot of drive so things can move very slowly. The culture in theory is ideal. In practice, it is a little slow and stagnate.

Great work tied in with the greatest purpose.

Current Intern - Product Manager in Riverton, UT
    Current Intern - Product Manager in Riverton, UT

I have been working at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Work with the greatest purpose there is- to help others come unto Jesus Christ.
    Work/life balance.

Cons

Not all the management is as good as mine was.
    FTE positions seem slim.

Great work. Non that I can think of.

Wonderful organization and people!

I worked at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work with a wonderful sense of purpose. Work colleagues are among the finest in any workplace I have been.

Cons

Poor work/life balance, though tremendously rewarding career.

Mid-level managers are not always responsive to team member concerns. It seems as if they are more interested in building their careers, often at the expense of everyone around them. Because the Church is hierarchal in structure, senior managers tend to side with mid- and lower-level managers when team members voice concerns. This leaves many individuals feeling harassed and without an advocate.

Positive

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

Pros

An experience that allowed application of professional skills to forward the effort of my faith.

Cons

Sometimes limited understanding lead to apprehensive action.

Trust and back the professionals executing a plan.

A great place to work, great people and cause.

Former Intern - Project Management Intern in Riverton, UT
    Former Intern - Project Management Intern in Riverton, UT

I worked at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great people willing to help, teach, and are dedicated to the cause and mission of the company.

Cons

Things can get bogged down by bureaucracy at times.

Hard place to work, segregating and backstabbing

Former Contractor - Service Media Professional in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Contractor - Service Media Professional in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

A few cool people to work for, and has great benefits (For full-timers) However...

Cons

I worked for over a year and not one new position was created. Instead, they hire "On-calls" employees with "Less benefits" than the full timers. The hours are short and the only work you do is grunt work that the full-timers give you. They are a over population of these on-calls that the only possible way to get hired full-time and make ends meet is from a position replacement from a full-time employee decides to move departments (This happens very rarely) and all on-calls pile and jump over this opening like rats. And they most likely hire another full-timer anyways, so the competition and office politics is very high (Kind of a oxymoron for a church, right?) BE AWAERE, if you want to work for the LDS church, it is VERY hard, to almost impossible to have a good, long-term, full-time job. I was lucky to find another job elsewhere, since they were fellow on-calls that were working there for over 3 years and still not moving up the latter. Not a good system at all! They were also backstabbing within the office, where if anyone makes mistakes, they don't tell you, but instead stop working with you. That's not how it's done in the business world. We all make mistakes, but we learn from them with getting feedback from others. Hardest company i've ever worked for. Beware!

Cut the high office politics within the company/church. Don't hire so many on-calls, and create new openings. The church is growing, right? And stop segregating the office.

Great employees. Terrible management.

Current Employee - Customer Service in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is a great opportunity help people. Most of the people you work with are really nice. They are fairly flexible with work hours too so it is ideal if you are in school.

Cons

As the title says the management is terrible. Have been told on a few occations that my job is just to do what I am told. I have been compared to a trained monkey by my supervisor in my yearly performance review and the other supervisor even agreed. Management has different rules from everyone else. Mine will threaten us with our jobs about improper use of internet in an email and then will go of Facebook right after clicking send. He also likes to take naps while at work. My supervisor and his boss also worked for 4 months to deny a coworker a pay raise that he had earned by department rules. Only time I have seen a manager be diciplined for behavior was when my boss' boss' boss screamed at an employee in front of everyone and shared some racist remarks. My manager tried writing me up for not showing up for a shift that was scheduled last minute while I was on vacation. We try and make suggestions on improvements and are either told that it would be too hard/too much work to fix that issue so it wont be done or that it is a great idea and they will look into it except they rarely do. It took us a whole year once to get a broken phone number connected correctly. Very hostile work environment as far as the management is concerned

Actually listen to the employees. Don't put unnecessary rules in place. Expect the same of yourselves that you expect of the people taking calls. There shouldn't be a different set of rules that only applies to a certain group. Thy and actually help your employees do their job instead of being a hindrance.

Working for the Church is great you have nice people around you and you can feel the spirit at all times.

Former Intern - Computer Security Analyst in Riverton, UT
    Former Intern - Computer Security Analyst in Riverton, UT

Pros

Working for the Church is great you can easily get spoiled with the nice building and great equipment given to you for work. The Riverton building has a big cafeteria and a gym on sit, you have free soda every time and you get the best pay and benefits.

Cons

You might think that the is less work because it is a church organization but it is a business like any other so you get busy like any company. You will always have someone to ask questions when you need help and the people there are brilliant and nice the really know what they are doing. Sometimes you might feel dumb or left out but you will be given time to become a master in your field.

This is a great place to work on an entry level basses I would not recommend growing and staying there unless you went off years and came back to stay and help build the church.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints Photos