The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

Updated October 16, 2014
4.3

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints President Thomas S. Monson
Thomas S. Monson

Pros
  • The benefits are great and there are outstanding people to work with (in 10 reviews)

• The work-life balance is excellent, you will rarely work more than 40 hours in a week (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The dress code is business professionals so no slacks and always a suit and tie even during the summer, it gets pretty old (in 5 reviews)

• The Church is a conservative organization and like most large organizations can have its fair share of politics (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Wonderful!

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

Pros

I love working for someone who isn't driven by money - - it is so rewarding! The Church takes care of its employees.

Cons

If you are looking for a really large salary...this isn't the place. But I don't think anyone works here for the money.

Great Environment

Current Employee - Gardener in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Gardener in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefit package for full time employees is very good and there is a generally positive environment.

Cons

There are many levels of management, sometimes making it difficult to get things done.

Software Engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Riverton, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Riverton, UT

I have been working at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

There is a great work environment. When I started working there, I had one day of training. Most of the time you have to use Wiki pages.

Cons

I worked hard and had fun. Balance is important at work. I really enjoyed my time working there.

This is the best place I have ever worked

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Riverton, UT
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Riverton, UT

I worked at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Family friendly work environment, meaning they understood family emergencies.
    Management was proactive in their approach to corrective action.

Management used positive incentives to increase productivity. Management went the extra mile in making employee's feel appreciated.

Ability to move around in the company is versital, one will not be "stuck" in a rut here.

Cons

I am not sure I know of any. There are some politics at higher levels of management, but its very minimal compared to any other company I've worked for.

Continue to foster the great work environment!

Amazing atmosphere to work in.

Current Employee - Public Affairs in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Public Affairs in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Love the people, location, and projects.

Cons

Sometimes bad press can be disheartening

none

Great job, low pay

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent place to work with a great atmosphere. Co-workers that share the same values.

Cons

Low payscale. Very little recognition of employee contribution. Dress code is VERY formal - suit/tie/coat to work every day at all times (you can take off your suit coat when you're sitting at your desk, otherwise you have to have it on). Very little advancement opportunity.

Advice to HR - build a rewards system that actually means something, where employees are rewarded for the work they actually do instead of just giving broad "merit increases" annually to everyone.

Stable workplace with satisfying work.

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great to work with people who have common beliefs and values. Gratifying to work on projects that further the Church's mission. Very accommodating to family life. Great health benefits and 401k matching. Plenty of interesting projects to work on.

Cons

Complicated bureaucracy is frustrating. Some departments aren't great in helping with career development and training.

It is a wonderful experience

Current Employee - Full-Time Missionary in Loveland, CO
    Current Employee - Full-Time Missionary in Loveland, CO

Pros

The best place to find peace.

Cons

Learning to follow the path of christ

Remember you are only men.

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Product Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great work environment with passionate, dedicated people. Fantastic mission to help people learn of the Savior and how His gospel can help them.

Cons

Decisions making is slow at times. Some employees feel entitled and do not maintain their competitive skills. Dress code is very formal.

not as family oriented as they profess

I have been working at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (more than an year)

Pros

I met some wonderful people during my time in the company.

Cons

you are forced to give 10% of your gross income back to the company. on top of being underpaid, it was too much. they are family oriented, but when you need to be with your family, they refuse to let you go home. when I began to disagree with the company, they turned my family against me and made them believe I was a bad person.

honesty never hurt anyone.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints Photos