The Claro Group Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.5
Venanzio Arquilla

1. Unique, fast-moving/growing company with intelligent, generous leadership and colleagues

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Claro Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working at Claro for several years, and I have been impressed by a number of things - first, both leadership and my other coworkers demonstrate real integrity (in their approach to work, interactions with clients and other colleagues), are focused on what is best for the client (it is VERY clear here that the client comes first and foremost, and we are their trusted advisors and are accountable to them). I came to Claro from another industry, and found that by and large everyone I have worked with has been generous with their time and knowledge to help me develop and do my job, and that they are consistently honest. I work in the healthcare group, and my boss and others in the group have spent a lot of time with me to help me be successful in my role and perform very well for our clients, and I have never received this much support and candid, helpful (and reinforcing feedback) at any other company I have worked with. Secondly, I feel that the work we do truly impacts and assists our clients and has real, tangible effects. We work with hospitals and health systems, and for the first time in my career, I feel that the work our team does is important, helps keep hospitals in business serving their communities, and improves the care that patients get down the line. While projects and client demands can be very tough, I feel that every person in our team contributes to enacting real change - not just talking about doing it (like some consulting firms in my experience) but actually making changes through presenting a vision of the future, helping clients do things differently, and holding them accountable to those actions and sustaining the impact. It sounds simple, but it feels very good to know that what I do helps others. Third, the company is unique, in terms of the culture, growth and approach to work. The people who work here are smart, diligent, and enjoyable to work with (which is vital, since we travel together and work a lot). There is very little ‘bureaucracy’ or ‘red tape’ – if something needs to get done, we try and make smart decisions and get things done. If something doesn’t work, we figure out how to do things differently. There are no ‘dinosaurs’ here wanting things to stay the same.

Cons

The tough things about consulting are the hours/travel and managing client demands. This is not unique to Claro, but applies to the field in general. In the past year, I feel much better equipped to manage my time (and help others manage theirs) through some new approaches and tools (with more needed and more to come) and to better manage client expectations and their requests and needs. The healthcare practice is growing rapidly (this is a good thing!) and we are all in a state of change as we improve our offerings, expand our practice and push everyone to do their best work. This can translate into longer hours and tougher projects, but I would rather be a part of growing something important than carrying out work that others prescribe for me.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in good people, training and tools to help us serve our clients better and perform our work in smarter ways.

Overall Positive

Current Employee - DCI Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - DCI Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Claro Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere, smart professionals, most people don't take themselves overly seriously, promotions and pay based on performance

Cons

leverage model issues - much more management than staff, making proper leverage near impossible. Seems to be a hard stop at the Director level - new MDs are always hired in, never from within the organization.

Advice to Management

Give teams the resources to implement the proper leverage; if people are't performing to expectations, don't keep them around for years; if you want to call Claro a legacy company, we need to start promoting from within.

CDI Consultant

I have been working at The Claro Group full-time

Pros

Coworkers are extremely bright and some of the best I have ever worked with.

Cons

Very long hours, 65 plus weekly! Requires very long hours to complete all tasks. Always requires Sunday travel. NO work life balance.

Several Consultants/Sr. Consultants and Healthcare Managers have left the company!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at The Claro Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive Pay. Fair Bonus structure. The company itself is a GREAT place to work. One of the Founders (Mark Hargis) is definately a notable professional with Outstanding Integrity. Under his leadership, the company will grow. All the Managing Directors are highly experienced, respectable mentors and it has been an honor to work with them for our clients. "they care"

Cons

Senior Management are close buddies with the Managing Directors because of this it creates a challenging work place for its Analyst-Manager staff. There is no anonymous way to provide feedback to HR on Employee managment issues except to submit it to a commitee or directly to a Managing Director "in person". Senior Management plays favorites and can easily have an analyst assigning a Senior Consultant work which highly destructers the team without the MD's knowledge.

Advice to Management

Several Consultants/Senior Consultants and Healthcare Managers have left the company!!!! Why? Look closely into the Sr. Managers within the practice that they were direct reports to. Managing Directors should recieve detailed reports of who is assigning work to whom and ensure its not a lazy, 90% remote Senior manager delegating their leadership task of assigning work to an Analyst. Swiftly implement a way for your staff to provide feedback of their managers performance as well so that performance reviews are not one sided. The annual performance reviews that are being turned in by Senior Managers are being seen as a compiled list of flaws that documented all year. Your employees are not given consistent feedback or direct so it feels like an ambush at their annual review meeting that they had no clue about the detail "all year". Their is a high turn over in healthcare because of this. The Long term HR manager has resigned. Now that you have a new one, please provide her with more than just a title but the ability to retain employees through implementing change in the Sr. Management team.

Analyst

I have been working at The Claro Group

Pros

Awesome People and great opportunity for career growth

Cons

The work can be a little boring at times and forces you on a niche path

Leadership is not listening to the staff

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at The Claro Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are favored, you have flexibility

Cons

Office politics, leadership is lacking, lack of direction, no culture

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff .

Good work, slow movement

I have been working at The Claro Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Claro has great work and diverse clients. There is always something different to do which at the same time could be a con because it's hard to specialize in any one thing.

Cons

Hard to specialize in any one thing because of the lack of continuity and daily requests from managers/requests. Movement through the company is average for the first 5-6 years then gets extremely stagnant at the manager level.

Advice to Management

Be more consistent with reviews/ratings and do what you tell your employees you will for them.

9. Healthcare Practice

Current Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Claro Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many opportunities to travel. Direct access to senior leadership. Competitive salary and bonus structure. Stipend for continued education. Unlimited vacation (as approved by your team). Ability to work from home if needed. 3% 401k match with 100% vesting after 3 years.

Cons

Long hours (occasionally, not always). Limited practice scope.

10. I learned a lot while I worked at Claro

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Claro Group

Pros

The people are great and the work is challenging.

Cons

Not a great work life balance all the time.

Play Hard, Work Harder

I have been working at The Claro Group

Pros

1) Working with extremely competent people. Clients on average pay a premium to hire The Claro Group in order to deliver a great work product. 2) Compensation is extremely fair and above average. Employees at Navigant/Deloitte/Accenture receive less pay on average. 3) Extreme growth over past few years demonstrates the reputation that The Claro Group has among its clients resulting in recurring projects. 4) "Fun" Culture or as fun as work can be. Baseball games, company outings, happy hours are not uncommon events.

Cons

1) Long hours and the inability to reject client demands. Willingness to adhere to unrealistic client deadlines. 2) Company culture still has remnants of the Anderson era. Top-down mentality 3) Work is not the most intellectually stimulating. There aren't any extensive financial models needed to be in this industry nor even a great emphasis on accounting.

Advice to Management

Please allow flexible hours. Billing 40 hours in 3 days should justify taking Friday off or at least working from home without the need to 'ask' for permission.

RSS Feed </> Embed