The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf

Updated September 12, 2014
3.1

The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf President & CEO John Dawson
John Dawson

Pros
  • fun and fast paced work environment (in 10 reviews)

• Friendly workers, flexible with hours, and free drinks (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much lateral movement, low pay (in 7 reviews)

• There is not much room for growth (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

My experience at The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf was very positive and satisfying!

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Riverside, CA

I worked at The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company values customer service and quality of product. Great products with passionate baristas and management behind the espresso bar. Was quickly approached with a promotion opportunity. Great overall company culture that facilitates a great working environment.

Cons

Not that many stores but there are more appearing all the time. Lots of changes in procedures over the years. Each store has an isolated culture.

Kinda cool people, fun coffee atmosphere, NOT cool to work there

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf part-time for more than a year

Pros

Meeting young art-loving individuals free coffee drink and $15/mo coffee bean money

Cons

Coffee bean was fun at first until I realized it's basically fastfood in disguise. If you're worried about your health & promoting good health this is not a good job for you. If you don't know why fast food is terrible there are a million reasons one being how employees are devalued and under appreciated. Google major fastfood companies to understand the extent of the evil that they present in our nation.

Be a good person & care about other people instead of just money. Money is the root of all evil.

Coffee Bean will use and manipulate you in every way, shape, and form.

Former Employee - Barista  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Barista in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf part-time for less than a year

Pros

Honestly, the co-workers. That's it, because they are going through the same situation as I am. However, your co-workers (for the most part...) turn out to be really cool, stand-out people.

Cons

There are countless cons to this company.

First, they claim to offer a competitive salary with potential for benefits. The reality is this "competitive salary" is minimum wage with no benefits and only one employee can receive full-time benefits. Starbucks, on the other hand, offers benefits (health insurance!) for part-time employees (about 20 hours) AND with very certain circumstances, pays for your college education! What competition is there? With ample information, anyone can see that it may be better to work at Starbucks. Also, a raise is NOT 3 cents, Coffee Bean.

Secondly, what is this whole issue with up-selling EVERY customer? I understand that a company needs to make revenue to make a profit, but what is this forced push coming from? Regulars are regulars for a reason, they just want their usual; THAT IS IT. Coffee Bean prides on having a strong value for customers, but in reality, their intentions is purely money-based and greedy. It seems that all they care about is that green dollar sign. Not only are they greedy, but they are also very cheap. I mean, they have over 300 stores worldwide. How much more money do you need? And if customer satisfaction is extremely important, why are you pushing to sell $200 machines to people who DON'T need them?

In addition, my store has not had a manager for 8 months. EIGHT months. Supplemental to the high turnover rate, our store has always been under so much stress. We are understaffed, overworked, and underpaid. You would think that corporate would do something to compensate for the lack of a manager, and yet, all I hear from them is that we are behind sales. I understand that it takes a while to hire a manager; you have to train them, etc., but 8 months is a little too ridiculous. We don't even have an assistant manager! In fact, the district manager practically begged our store to stay, stating that she "really needed us," and "to stick it out," and "to help her," and for the most part, we have. But unfortunately, that was her ploy and in doing so, she completely used us. She pretends to care about our well-beings and constantly lies to us about these promises (benefits, raises) or futures she claims to have for us. It's been eight months and I'm still standing exactly where I was eight months ago.

Basically, Coffee Bean does not care for their employees. They force their employees to work hard or to face punishment (warnings, possibly fired) and use their power to manipulate and use employees at their own expense. The company has no intention for growth at the lower tier of the company (the baristas) and yet, expects them to increase revenue. All these "promises" are hoaxes, and the company purely stresses on gathering sales. They just aren't the company you want to work for.

While I am grateful for having a job opportunity, I believe that there is still some terrible imbalance within this company. In all seriousness, management needs to really consider their treatment of employees. We are humans, not tools. We have to pay bills and make a living for our family. Please try to empathize with your baristas as you ask them to do a lot without also, giving back. This is not a take-take-take world. Please compensate your workers for their hard work fairly and justly. And please use your power for the greater good, and not your selfish needs. Otherwise, don't expect people to continuously deal with your oppression.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible Management

I worked at The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf

Pros

You will get great practice at making coffee

Cons

Turn over rate is terrible, homeless and crazy people non stop bothering customers every second of your shift

Close down Market Street location

Months of Stress

Former Employee - Barista  in  Goleta, CA
    Former Employee - Barista in Goleta, CA

I worked at The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf part-time for less than a year

Pros

If you're a coffee junkie then it's great because you get plenty of free coffee while you work. You also get free food if you're apart of the closing shift. It's also fun learning how to make specialty beverages, but not quite that fun when you're understaffed because of payroll cuts. Customers aren't usually too happy about that either.

Cons

Upper management does not care about their store front employees, and from my experience, they also discriminate. I had an issue where, after 9 months of working as a barista, I was let go because of the color of my hair. I was hired with unnaturally colored red hair and was never once told I needed to change it up until the point that they let me go.

Upper management should take more time to visit their stores and get to know their baristas. I had a district manager who was wonderful and really cared about her employees, and she was a delight to see around. Once she stepped down from her position and we got a district manager who did not care about the quality of the baristas' work life, working at Coffee Bean became significantly more stressful. Considering this job can be quite stressful just because of how fast paced it is, it is essential to have management do their best to help alleviate this stress rather than add to it. Baristas are the people working directly with customers. They are the ones making sales so the whole company can function. It is important to not only make sure they are happy, but to make sure they know how to interact with customers properly and to make sure they know how to make all beverages correctly. Kindness goes a much longer way then intimidation or harsh judgment.

Easy job. Low expectations

Former Employee - Barista  in  Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Barista in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf part-time for less than a year

Pros

Could keep piercings in. Tattoos could be visible. Not a lot of cleaning tasks

Cons

No room to develop. Upper management was really lazy

Doesn't care about it's good employees!

I have been working at The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf

Pros

A good place for a quick transitional job. And the product that is sold is really good.

Cons

Management cuts hours so you don't get paid for overtime. No benefits for the "good" employees. High turnover rate

You need to start giving holiday pay, and you need to start respecting the employees that work hard to make the company money. Dealing with customers is not an easy task and we deserve some incentives to keep our morale up

Fun work environment

Former Employee - Barista  in  Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Barista in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best reasons to work are for the fun coworkers. Free coffee and 1 free specialty drink each time you work. Guaranteed hours depending on your work ethic and flexible scheduling, which is optimal for school.

Cons

Low pay. A lot of work and minuscule raises each year. The occasional guest who just wants to take it out on the employees.

Increase the wages. Be open to employee suggestions. They are on the floor all the time, so it would make sense that they would be able to improve the store(s) as a whole with their first hand accounts.

Overall, a good place to work as a first job until you move on to a career or pursue promotions

I have been working at The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf

Pros

It's a very chill environment with mostly great, friendly customers and coworkers. It's a fun job and it doesn't take very long to catch on.

Cons

Having to keep up to date with the constant changes in the procedures of preparing drinks.

Quit changing the recipes and standards of procedure every month. It's information overload and baristas start losing the motivation to learn them.

Management could be a lot better

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Austin, TX

I worked at The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good team members.
    Free coffee and tea while on the clock.
    Sometimes room to grow.

Cons

Very little appreciation towards hard-working staff.
    Hardly disciplines workers who are always tardy or don't show up.
    Mediocre benefits.
    Constant turnover rates.

Do more than just the bare minimum of your job! Please be more conscious of establishing good rapport with your employees, as they will be more willing to do what you ask them to do. Also, better raises for those who stick around for a long time.

Worked for The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf? Contribute to the Community!