The College Network

Gary Eyler

Great Times and Experiences at The College Network

Current Employee - District Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - District Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at The College Network full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have had the opportunity to work for The College Network for nearly seven years. During those seven years I have helped nearly 1,000 working adults start working towards a lifelong goal of earning their degree. Our products and our partnerships allows these customers to earn their degree in a way that can be customized to their life schedule. The information I share with these customers is life changing for them and incredibly rewarding for myself. I am able to help people achieve their goals and dreams. The College Network allows me the ability to customize my work schedule to be with my family when I am needed; furthermore, The College Network has a core foundation of phenomenal people that give the company a family atmosphere and makes them so enjoyable to work for each and every day. These are a few of the many reasons why I love working for The College Network.

Cons

It can be challenging working remotely from the corporate office; however, it provides the ultimate flexibility and there is great communication between the outside team and the home office.

Be careful, they will cheat you out of your commissions

I have been working at The College Network (more than an year)

Pros

Great customers and set your own flexible hours.

Cons

Complex commission system that continuously makes mistakes and gives program advisors less commission than they earned. You must check your own commission calculations against the commission statements they provide, they will not correct mistakes unless you bring it to their attention. Also, once you leave the company, they do not give you the commission you have yet to be paid claiming all of your remaining customers defaulted on their payments; therefore, the commission is charged back to your account.

Simplify the commission payment process and conduct yourselves with integrity and honesty.

Helping people get on the path to a better life is why I work for TCN.

Current Employee - Regional Director in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Regional Director in Austin, TX

I have been working at The College Network full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working for The College Network over the last nine and a half years has changed my life. Just as I have had a positive impact on the lives of the nearly one thousand working adults that I have helped achieve their educational goals with the help of The College Network, my life has also been impacted. Working for The College Network has given me the freedom to spend time with my family, which I treasure. I have been there for my kids when they needed to go to a doctor’s appointments, or soccer practice. I have also been given financial freedom, which has allowed me to provide for my family. All of these benefits are great, but what is even more of a benefit is having been able to help many people over the years and see their lives change for the better. Helping people get on the path to a better life is why I work for TCN.

Cons

As an Independent Contractor I had to be organized since I was running my own business, but after a little practice it get's easy.

My Light Bulb

Current Employee - Regional Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Regional Director in New York, NY

I have been working at The College Network (more than 10 years)

Pros

In 2000 I saw for the first time a TCN "Study Guide" for Sociology. I immediately saw the advantages to that method of completing college credits as compared to how I had acquired my own degree. No deadlines, just study and test. Shortly after inspecting that first TCN Sociology Study Guide I was working for The College Network as a Program Advisor. Fourteen years later those same principles apply. The reality is, the vast majority of the people I encounter each and every day would have a very difficult time earning their degree the traditional way, in a classroom or campus based program. We meet with many single moms, returning students, adults that are working and have families and want or need their degree to move ahead in their careers and to make a better life for themselves and for their families. When many of these individuals see our online Resource Center Modules the light bulb goes off. Many explain that this is finally a program that they feel they can complete!

Since 2000 our modules have evolved tremendously to become the robust online Comprehensive Learning Module that prepares our customers to challenge college proficiency exams. Our Academic Support Department has also evolved to assist our customers with any academic as well as customer service questions to help insure their success. My work is not complete, there are many more adult learners that could benefit from a TCN program. That is why I work for TCN.

Cons

If I have found any cons over the years, I forgot what they were.

Our culture is one where I feel like we are all family. I feel lucky to work at TCN.

Current Employee - Vice-President in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Vice-President in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at The College Network full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

When I began with TCN, I was looking for a career. The previous two companies I had worked for had both laid-off off their entire field forces. I didn’t want to experience déjà vu again. I wanted something I would enjoy doing, provide for my family and spend the rest of life doing. When I first met the CEO of the company, Gary Eyler, he told me I would empower TCN customers through TCN study materials to earn college credits by taking college course proficiency examinations and then transfer those credits into regionally accredited schools. He said this would allow the working adult to fit their education around their life instead of their life around their education. He also told me we help our customers change their lives. Little did I know at the time that my life would forever change too. That was seventeen years ago and not one day goes by that I don’t feel like I have won the lottery.

Over the years in my travels across the United States, I have met hundreds if not thousands of customers who have benefited from TCN study materials. Many of them have hugged me and thanked me for what TCN did for them.

TCN is a progressive company. Our executive team, employees, and our independent field representatives have eclectic backgrounds and experiences. Our culture is one where I feel like we are all family. Our core values are quality, learning, innovation, excellence, integrity and service. While we aren’t perfect, we strive to live these values fully every single day. Everything matters. For this reason, TCN is committed to helping its customers achieve that which is most important in their lives. Our customers tell us that earning their college degree or advanced degree will help them accomplish those things dear to their hearts.

TCN has become much more to me than a job or a career. Empowering our customers, our employees, and our independent contractors achieve more from their lives is an exhilarating feeling.

Cons

Our healthcare plan is okay. I just wish it were more robust.

Challenging and Exciting business helping others move forward

I have been working at The College Network full-time

Pros

Family atmosphere, energetic and rewarding place to work giving everyone an opportunity to help others get ahead in their education. Tremendous amount of teamwork is part of culture as everyone comes together to achieve goals and solve issues. Many skills can be gained as opportunities are present to take on increased roles and responsibilities.

Cons

Stressful at times given the fast paced environment.

Overall, a great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at The College Network full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great company whether this is your first job or you're looking for a company to retire with. The benefits, work-life balance, and the other employees are definitely the highlights of the company. I have learned a lot in my time with The College Network and look forward to growing my career here.

Cons

One of the main challenges is the communication barrier between departments, which can be frustrating. However, talking with your supervisor is a quick and easy solution to negate any communication issue.

High energy high focus job.

I have been working at The College Network full-time

Pros

My job at The College Network is very dynamic. I am able to be creative and provide a high level of service. My ideas are listened to and I feel like part of a team. My job allows me to always look ways to improve products and customer experience.

Cons

Sometimes is a high stress job. I think they could do a better job sometime in communication.

Continue to be focused on things at hand. Continue to try and communicate to us. Keep asking us to provide ideas.

Unethical, undeducated leadership

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at The College Network full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Paid well at the time I worked there. That is it.

Cons

Uneducated, untrained leadership that are abusive to employees. No accountability at all. Product outdated and more effort put into making it seem of value than actually making it have value. The worst example of "good ole boy network" I have ever seen. The CEO loved to show off his wealth and yet nickel and dime employees and customers. Overall disgusting atmoshere.

Move on with your life - this organization is a scam at best.

The College Network is not what it use to be.

Current Employee - Program Advisor in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Program Advisor in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at The College Network full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good base salary. Good educational products. Good professional people work at this company.

Cons

Charge backs on commissions will haunt you for over a year after a sale is made. Once you have been there a year charge backs start adding up and can get into the tens of thousands of dollars you will owe back to the company and you will pay from your future commissions. They subtract 67% of your commissions towards your charge backs every pay period. Default rate plus cancel rate of customers is over 35%. Ask any Program Advisor before you take a position about the commission structure.

Gary Eyler CEO was a great visionary 20 years ago when starting the company, but now he is a absentee CEO and there is no direction for the future life of this company. Increased completion and loss of market share have caused tremendous downsizing over the last few years. I recommend that you change commission structure and eliminate chargebacks. When your sales force is making money the company will make money.