The College of New Jersey

R. Barbara Gitenstein

Community Adviser Position Review

Current Employee - Community Adviser in Ewing, NJ
    Current Employee - Community Adviser in Ewing, NJ

I have been working at The College of New Jersey part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The biggest plus of this job for me was that it waived housing costs and it's the main reason I applied. Besides that you get a meal plan stipend and $100 check every two weeks. I think the compensation is adequate for the amount of work. As an employer TCNJ makes it clear they want you to be a student first. They provide you with all the training and support you need. You have biweekly individual meetings with your supervisor and weekly staff meetings where you can ask for help, bounce on each others ideas, and make sure you're on track. Your bosses are for the most part genuinely interested in you as a person as well as an employee.

Cons

I do not really have many cons because I have had a great experience in my approx. 3 years of being a Community Adviser. There is not much opportunity for mobility in my opinion. Other than that because they have competitive benefits I find they sometime add "extra" work and don't compensate you for it but realistically mostly every job does that.

You guys are doing a great job. I encourage you to keep with the 360 format of doing things. By this I mean to have all levels involved in as many parts of all processes as possible. It is essential to have student involvement and higher management involvement.

student employee

Former Employee - Student Worker in Ewing, NJ
    Former Employee - Student Worker in Ewing, NJ

I worked at The College of New Jersey part-time (more than an year)

Pros

supportive, nice, understanding staff
    given reasonable responsibility
    flexible work hours

Cons

none really, but improve understanding of and outreach to international students

improve understanding of and outreach to international students

Good solid job. For the most part well organized and managed

Current Employee - Software Developer in Ewing, NJ
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Ewing, NJ

I have been working at The College of New Jersey full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work load is manageable. Dedicated people. The work is interesting, and most everyone pays attention to the mission of higher education. Standards are kept medium to above medium, both academically and professionally. In my job, which is primarily developing software, the work is interesting and the pressure is low. Of course, the salary is too, compared to industry. The tradeoff is stability and interesting work without unrealistic deadlines.

Cons

Transparency could be higher. Has some of the "state job" complacency.

Be transparent with organizational plans.

Come in, do your work and leave.

I worked at The College of New Jersey part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Reasonable hours. Good working environment.

Cons

Can get rushed at certain shifts due to possible under staffing.

Better planning of employee availability with important events. My need to re-evaluate optimal working staff level. At times it feels like it is over staffed and other times it is under staffed.

ResNet IT Technician

Current Employee - Resnet Technician in Ewing, NJ
    Current Employee - Resnet Technician in Ewing, NJ

I have been working at The College of New Jersey part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible work hours, boss is highly considerate of students' school schedules. If a student worker feels like he/she needs to modify their work hours, the supervisor is very understanding. Easily one of the highest paying position on campus. You learn a lot about tech, and the co-workers are great. The ResNet team is small so we all know each other well and there is very little, to no drama.

Cons

For the most part, everyone who gets hired at ResNet is fairly good at troubleshooting computers. However, the job can be intimidating at first, especially for newbies. The technical training isn't very extensive and a lot of the knowledge comes from experience. Unless you know what you're doing you'll probably find the first few shifts to be stressful, especially during high-traffic times. Having said this, ResNet employees tend to be good about helping each other out.

It was a great school with a lot of oppertunities

Former Employee - Project Assistant in Trenton, NJ
    Former Employee - Project Assistant in Trenton, NJ

I worked at The College of New Jersey full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It was a great place to meet friends, and make connections with professors and other professionals. I had a great time there learning.

Cons

There are a lot of assignments but overall it was all beneficial. I really didn't like some of the teaching styles of the professors, but they were just doing their job the best way they could.

No comment about them.

Not a very caring place.

I worked at The College of New Jersey as a contractor

Pros

Great place to gather references

Cons

Very insensitive people. Great cultural values but very few employees take them to heart.

It would help if the management cared more for employees and students of diverse backgrounds.

An amazing institution with great staff, beautiful campus, and a hospitable atmosphere that promotes scholarship.

I worked at The College of New Jersey

Pros

Valuable educational positions in both on campus organizations as well as internships.

Cons

Time consuming workload that is expected from each student. The con in this is that for student that need to work close to full-time, it becomes a bit difficult to manage while being a full-time student.

Take student's socio-economic background into consideration while grading on deadline materials. Understand that the quality of the work can be equal to other students while the expected deadline is not always feasible for the working student body.

This institution provides great compensation and has you work with some of the smartest students around.

Former Employee - Student Computer Technician in Ewing, NJ
    Former Employee - Student Computer Technician in Ewing, NJ

I worked at The College of New Jersey full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The job was very self-rewarding-as are most positions that involve working with students. The pay is great and much higher than comparable institutions-but you will work for it. The student population is extremely smart and very enthusiastic about taking on leadership roles. Also, the benefits here are amazing! Medical coverage is incomparable to any other place that I have worked.

Cons

There is not a lot of room for growth opportunities within Student Affairs. While you will learn a lot, it is difficult to progress from entry to mid level positions and higher.

Professional development is not the number one focus, so you have to plan on searching for and pursuing it yourself.

Recognition is also not high up on the list for the institution.

Program Assistant

Former Employee - Program Assistant in Ewing, NJ
    Former Employee - Program Assistant in Ewing, NJ

I worked at The College of New Jersey full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits. College campus. Interesting students and faculty. Lectures and community involvement.

Cons

Leadership. Lack of professional growth. Stagnant. Repetitive, but to be fair, this is common.

Provide professional development to staff. Encourage off campus community involvement.