The College of New Jersey

Updated Jun 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

R. Barbara Gitenstein

It was a great school with a lot of oppertunities

Project Assistant (Former Employee) Trenton, NJ

ProsIt was a great place to meet friends, and make connections with professors and other professionals. I had a great time there learning.

ConsThere are a lot of assignments but overall it was all beneficial. I really didn't like some of the teaching styles of the professors, but they were just doing their job the best way they could.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo comment about them.

An amazing institution with great staff, beautiful campus, and a hospitable atmosphere that promotes scholarship.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsValuable educational positions in both on campus organizations as well as internships.

ConsTime consuming workload that is expected from each student. The con in this is that for student that need to work close to full-time, it becomes a bit difficult to manage while being a full-time student.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake student's socio-economic background into consideration while grading on deadline materials. Understand that the quality of the work can be equal to other students while the expected deadline is not always feasible for the working student body.

Not a very caring place.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat place to gather references

ConsVery insensitive people. Great cultural values but very few employees take them to heart.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would help if the management cared more for employees and students of diverse backgrounds.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This institution provides great compensation and has you work with some of the smartest students around.

Student Computer Technician (Former Employee) Ewing, NJ

ProsThe job was very self-rewarding-as are most positions that involve working with students. The pay is great and much higher than comparable institutions-but you will work for it. The student population is extremely smart and very enthusiastic about taking on leadership roles. Also, the benefits here are amazing! Medical coverage is incomparable to any other place that I have worked.

ConsThere is not a lot of room for growth opportunities within Student Affairs. While you will learn a lot, it is difficult to progress from entry to mid level positions and higher.

Professional development is not the number one focus, so you have to plan on searching for and pursuing it yourself.

Recognition is also not high up on the list for the institution.

Program Assistant

Program Assistant (Former Employee) Ewing, NJ

ProsBenefits. College campus. Interesting students and faculty. Lectures and community involvement.

ConsLeadership. Lack of professional growth. Stagnant. Repetitive, but to be fair, this is common.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide professional development to staff. Encourage off campus community involvement.

Amazing School

ProsSmall class sizes
    Easy to get involved

ConsFood isn't the greatest
    Far from supermarkets or stores
    Area isn't the best

Great for student employment!

Mathematics and Science Tutor (Current Employee) Ewing, NJ

ProsAs a student employed at TCNJ, your managers understand that your academics come first. The work hours are very flexible, and as long as you do your job appropriately, you will not have any problems. Overall, it's a wonderful experience to be a part of while being a student!

ConsDealing with some people can prove to be frustrating, and the pay for being a tutor could be slightly higher.

Not the best not the worst.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCollege has a great reputation for the education it offers.

ConsTakes a long time to make decisions and move forward. Best practices are not followed. Always fixing things instead of doing them right the first time. Mix of union and non-union employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees have great skills, use them for their skills that they excel at.

A decent place to have an on-campus job.

Project Assistant (Current Employee) Ewing, NJ

ProsI enjoy working with the academic faculty at TCNJ.

ConsTCNJ administration and LionsLink are incredibly unhelpful. If you want a job with a certain department, go to the department head directly. Don't bother applying online.

Excellent institution to work at.

Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) Ewing, NJ

ProsGreat staff, many opportunities for professional development, all on a beautiful campus. The students are smart and engaged, which makes your job all the easier.

ConsDepending on your department, getting funding for certain things can be difficult, or you may have less staff than you need to get work done.

Worked for The College of New Jersey? Contribute to the Community!