The Collier Companies

Employment Status

Reset
3.5
J. Andrew Hogshead

1. Great job to build interpersonal and time-management skills.

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Gainesville, FL

I worked at The Collier Companies part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My position as a Customer Service Specialist provided a great opportunity to build upon my professional skill set and grow confident in my ability to communicate and interact with many different people on a daily basis. This position enabled me to develop strong interpersonal and organizational skills that I can carry with me as I pursue a full-time career.

Cons

Minimum wage is low for part-time employees, so if you aren't earning commission from signing leases, the paycheck is quite disappointing. Although the company did offer a competitive matching contribution if you set up a 401k and hold a position for at least 1 year. If you are driven, you won't have trouble managing the hours, but if you expect to work max. 15-20 hours per week, you will feel overwhelmed. You must be willing to sometimes work upwards of 25-30 hours per week, so it really depends on your flexibility. My best advice: if you have any school/personal obligations, make sure to request days off well in advance.

Advice to Management

Become more involved in the office and interacting with residents. There were many instances where residents wanted to speak to someone holding higher authority, but this was highly discouraged by management.

2. Hard Work for Low Pay

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at The Collier Companies part-time

Pros

Great hands-on experience and growing opportunity for various skills, but not for status within the company

Cons

Management is full of themselves, way too much drama within the company and the employees, they make CSS schedules part time and work them really hard (but never to 40+ so that they have to pay you overtime), managers conveniently take leases from you at the perfect moment so that they can take the commission for your work.. they change the commission policy to their advantage on the fly and schedule tours with people who you've been in constant contact with when they call and you're out, behind your back

Advice to Management

Rather than giving employees responsibilities that you don't want to handle yourself, give them work that will grow them professionally for the future

3. Pay is short. Opportunity is long.

Former Employee - Regional Property Manager in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Regional Property Manager in Gainesville, FL

I worked at The Collier Companies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They give ample opportunity for advancement to early 20-something's seeking management experience. Culture is strong. Ample community in the number of co-workers from all the properties.

Cons

Pay is well below normal for the industry. Politics can be, well... political. After reaching PM status, it's time to move on as Regional status pays nothing close to the industry.

5. Your experience will depend a lot on the specific property

Former Employee - Manager in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Gainesville, FL

I worked at The Collier Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Some properties have fun events to take part in and plan -Apartment Discount -Commissions -Lots of learning classes -Helping People

Cons

- Regional level only communicates to the Community Manager, when they could learn a lot from the other employees at the property. -Promotion depends a lot on who you know -Atmosphere from property to property is very different. Loved working at some, hated working at others. -Low salary -Residents who complain will get benefits, when everyone should be treated the same.

6. Love working for TCC

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at The Collier Companies

Pros

-Great opportunity for growth -Bonuses for signing leases and bonuses for managers as well -"Family feel" -Networking opportunities -Free training classes taught by upper management/human resources -Excellent benefits and PTO

Cons

I have no personal cons with the company.

7. If you like working in leasing then this is a good option

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Tampa, FL

I worked at The Collier Companies

Pros

Your talking and meeting new people everyday. You need to be hungry in convincing people to sign leases so if your not a people person then this is not for you.

Cons

If your an entry level employ the salary isn't high so work hard for your commission on leases.

8. Great company, especially or college student to get a early start on a career in Property Mgt.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at The Collier Companies

Pros

The company is awesome. They have been doing this for over 20 years, so they have all of the kinks worked out. They will train you, even send you to another city and pay for hotel stay for training. Working with young people keeps you young. There are so many chances to move up and around in the company. I love that I can advance with this company and the benefits are great too !!

Cons

(1)The company does not pay well. It use to be compensated with a free unit , or rental discount. Now these things are no longer included and must be negotiated in prior to hire. (2) If you're not "known" by the right people your hard work will go unnoticed for years. You will have to network and make "nice" with the "right" people in order advance to certain levels. Overall compensation could be better, however there are bonus opportunities at every level.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring outside SO MUCH, instead build with the people who have been working for you for years It sends a terrible message to the people who have been working for the company for years, that the company constantly hires outside for upper management positions. I recommend that you take the young men and women that have already been dedicated, knows the company and is willing to learn....work with them & build them up !!

9. Valuable Experience. Not for everyone.

Former Employee - Assistant Community Manager in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Community Manager in Gainesville, FL

I worked at The Collier Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Networking, uncapped commissions, good benefits, and growth.

Cons

Employee turnover, poor communication, cliquey

Advice to Management

Communication. Communication. Communication.

10. Property Manager

Former Employee - PropertyManager in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - PropertyManager in Gainesville, FL

I worked at The Collier Companies full-time

Pros

They Pay well and have good benefits. You usually get support from corporate depending on who your regional manager is and they usually get right back to you.

Cons

There is lots of change and it is not always for the bette. They also seem to have a high turn over rate with emplyees, especially the leasing and maintenance staff.

11. Hit or Miss

I worked at The Collier Companies part-time

Pros

If you are a student, managers do a pretty good job of working around your schedule. Bonuses for leases are great and that company decal is a life-saver on game days.

Cons

There is a lot of turnover in management. You may have a great manager one year and a tyrant the next. Turn is a rough time of year.

RSS Feed </> Embed