The Columbus Organization

Updated December 27, 2014
Updated December 27, 2014
4.5

Richard Ronder

Amazing Work Atmosphere That Nurtures Personal Development - Great Co-workers & Culture. Simply A Great Place To Work!

Current Employee - Team Leader in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at The Columbus Organization full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The Senior Leadership and Supervisors at Columbus do make a point to inspire their employees to work hard and advocate for our families. Great company network and potential to work on interesting projects across the country.
    Fantastic trainings available all the time and everyone is very supportive.

Cons

Extended hours are definitely at the top of the list and the need to be available can take some getting used to. Still, there's no better feeling than being able to help someone who is less able than you.

Continue to attract Incredible people (both talented and caring) and provide real company values. We do appreciate all the training and mentoring opportunities as it does help staff prepare for advancement once higher positions become available. Can't tell you how much we (i) appreciate knowing that Columbus hires from within.

Good experience

I worked at The Columbus Organization

Pros

friendly environment, people all are committed to their work

Cons

communication is not as strong as it could be

Unlike Other Case Management Companies, Columbus Really Does Deliver On Their Promises To Staff & Those They Serve...

Current Employee - Case Manager in Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Columbus, IN

I have been working at The Columbus Organization full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Having come from another CMCO, the first thing that you notice with this company is how genuinely appreciative they are towards their staff and those families they work with. Orientation was thorough and while I already was experienced, was nice to see trainers take the time to work with newer employees to make sure the material was understood. Like most agencies, the work schedule is flexible, and while I wasn't used to having a set salary, it was nice to be able to count on knowing exactly what my pay was going to be check to check. Unlike my former job, their travel, equipment and supply stipends actually cover your monthly expenses which was a pleasant surprise. Last positive is that they offer leadership trainings for those who are interested. Something I never saw with any consistency in the 4 years I was with my former agency. Nice to actually have a shot at a promotion because you're competent, not because you "know" somebody.

Cons

I could see where some folks who crave more structure may not like the Columbus system as they encourage independence in their case managers. A higher mileage stipend would be nice. Not a fan of a salary although it's nice to know what your pay-check is month to month.

Continue to offer trainings and other opportunities for those staff interested in leadership positions to take advantage of. It's awesome to know that if you apply yourself and make the effort, Columbus supervisors take the time to recognizes your hard work with a genuine "Thank you" and "Job well done".

Committed company celebrating 30 years...

Current Employee - Regional Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Regional Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Columbus Organization full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have been with the company for 7 years; Scope of services are expanding; growth to provide quality services across GA and other states;

Cons

Maintaining positions at the case management level

Ability to maintain the best person for the job in all positions

Fantastic Company With Great Benefits & A Real Commitment To Excellence. Staff Are Valued & Treated With Respect.

Current Employee - Team Leader in Evansville, IN
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Evansville, IN

I have been working at The Columbus Organization full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Super co-workers who are always ready to answer questions or assist with a difficult case. Columbus provides employees with many forms of resources to help you build your professional skills including educational opportunities and working with experienced supervisors on your Team. The salary and reimbursement stipends are higher than the previous case management agency I worked for and unlike that previous agency, there exists the ability to be promoted and move around within the company easily. You can choose how far you want to go in this company and Leadership does a great job of encouraging you to try for opportunities as they become available.

Cons

May sound insincere but I really have no negative comments to add at this time. Grateful to have found a company with this positive mentality to work for.

Stay in touch with your staff. Senior Leadership and Management really appear to be engaged with employees and it is helping us grow professionally and as a company. !

Wouldn't work for anyone else!

Current Employee - Case Manager
    Current Employee - Case Manager

I have been working at The Columbus Organization full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The Columbus Organization is a great company to work for. I enjoy the flexibility of my job and love that I don't have to sit in an office all day. My co-workers and supervisor are always willing to help with any questions I have and have been a huge support while I learn my role as a Case Manager. I appreciate that I earn a salary rather than receiving payment per client that I carry on my caseload. This allows me to still make a decent salary while not being required to carry a caseload size that is not manageable just so I can make ends meet. I would recommend the Columbus Organization.

Cons

With my office in my home it can sometimes be difficult to balance work and family time. I would encourage others working at The Columbus Organization to take advantage of the generous amount of vacation time that is offered.

Consider having more experienced Case Managers act as peer mentors to provide support to new Case Managers.

Best people I have ever worked with

Former Employee - Support Coordinator/Team Leader in Columbus, GA
    Former Employee - Support Coordinator/Team Leader in Columbus, GA

I worked at The Columbus Organization full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great culture, supportive upper management in most respects. It is odd in this company to find someone who is really unhelpful or difficult to work with. They just aren't around long because they fit in so poorly with the overall attitude of the company. It is one of the best places I've ever worked and has more room for advancement than any other I've found. Flexible Hours, Feeling of fulfillment when working with patients. good environment , training and leadership is well established. Immediate leadership is understanding . Policy is easy to find. If there are questions or problems about something my immediate supervisor is easy to find and approachable with well meaning tactics to help focus on the job at hand

Cons

Salary, there aren't many cons

NONE

A COMPANY THAT TAKES PRIDE IN THE SERVICES THEY PROVIDE!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Old South, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Old South, GA

I have been working at The Columbus Organization full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I would recommend this job and company for anyone who has a passion for making a difference. Knowing one is making a difference in the lives of individuals who need us the most. Work is never dull. New challenges and opportunities every day. For someone outgoing, time management oriented. The relationships that are made are so rewarding! Ability to work around your own personal schedule.

Cons

Not always 9 - 5

Management is very supportive in all aspects

Columbus is a good organization, but needs to follow-up after placing a candidate.

Current Contractor - School Psychologist in Reading, PA
    Current Contractor - School Psychologist in Reading, PA

I have been working at The Columbus Organization as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Good contact during the hiring phase, and recruiter even sat with me during the school district's interview process. Pay checks were sent promptly. I had the opportunity to sign up for a 401 K.

Cons

After I was hired, Columbus did not keep in touch to ask if I had any concerns about my work in the district. I did have concerns since I was relagated to an made shift "office" in a filing room with no windows and had no training by the school staff as to how they liked to do things. As a result, I did not feel welcome in the district even though I was providing them with a valuable service. Fortunately, it was a short-term contract.

After your employees are hired by a district, do provide some follow-up to see if they are being treated well.

Decent Experience

Current Employee - Contract Employee
    Current Employee - Contract Employee

I have been working at The Columbus Organization full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Company provides relatively decent pay.

Cons

Lack of specifics regarding job requirements

Please ensure employees have a thorough understanding of job duties.

The Columbus Organization Photos