The Columbus Organization

Updated August 16, 2014

4.7

Richard Ronder
1 Rating

Can't Say Enough For The Columbus Organization - A Positive & Rewarding Place To Work Where All Staff Are Appreciated.

Current Employee - Case Manager  in  Portage, IN
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Portage, IN

I have been working at The Columbus Organization full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company really understands and provides a great work/life balance. Great benefits and reimbursements/stipends. Supervisors allow for flexibility to work from home and schedule your own meetings with a minimal of oversight. No micro-managing here! Management, co-workers are awesome and always willing to assist with questions or when emergencies arise. Never have I been with an organization where upper Leadership is so understanding and approachable. Nice to be surrounded by an experienced & diverse group of people who genuinely are about providing the best service possible to those individuals/families in need.

Cons

Independent working is expected so that kind of management style may not be for everyone. You're provided all the training and tools to be successful but the expectation is that you're able to do the job without someone always looking over your shoulder.

Don't change a thing. Can't tell you how many times I've spoken with my fellow workers and heard comments about how easy it is to speak with the Directors or that they received a call from the owner himself to say thanks for something they did to help a family. I have friends working for other CMCOs and are envious because they apparently don't get that kind of genuine attention from their management.

Wouldn't work for anyone else!

I have been working at The Columbus Organization full-time for less than a year

Pros

The Columbus Organization is a great company to work for. I enjoy the flexibility of my job and love that I don't have to sit in an office all day. My co-workers and supervisor are always willing to help with any questions I have and have been a huge support while I learn my role as a Case Manager. I appreciate that I earn a salary rather than receiving payment per client that I carry on my caseload. This allows me to still make a decent salary while not being required to carry a caseload size that is not manageable just so I can make ends meet. I would recommend the Columbus Organization.

Cons

With my office in my home it can sometimes be difficult to balance work and family time. I would encourage others working at The Columbus Organization to take advantage of the generous amount of vacation time that is offered.

Consider having more experienced Case Managers act as peer mentors to provide support to new Case Managers.

The Columbus Organization - Finally A Case Management Company That Gets It's Employees.

Current Employee - Case Manager  in  Terre Haute, IN
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Terre Haute, IN

I have been working at The Columbus Organization full-time for more than a year

Pros

Understanding and accessible Leadership who are genuinely interested in what you have to say. There's a positive vibe and a real sense of "Team" among the employees here. Flexible work schedules without unnecessary micro-managing by your supervisors. Nice to see that advancement opportunities are based on performance, not family ties. Salary structure allows you to focus on your cases rather than how many people you can bill for. Company mindset seems to be on services and not the bottom-line.

Cons

While the salary is a good start and they do offer great benefits with 401Ks and full medical, I'd like them to consider a profit-sharing plan as well. Would be nice if staff could gain added compensation from all the growth we're seeing.

While certainly not an issue now, as the company get bigger, please don't lose touch with your staff and always keep that friendly attitude. I know it's a business, but can't say how much I appreciate (and others as well) being able to talk with my supervisors and being treated with respect and value.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Fun Place To Work Where You Always Feel Supported & Part Of A Bigger Team.

Current Employee - Case Manager  in  Kokomo, IN
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Kokomo, IN

I have been working at The Columbus Organization full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work environment with a positive feel. Unlike other jobs, you really get a sense of camaraderie and support - Not only from your co-workers but also from your supervisors and senior leadership. You're allowed to work independently and make your own schedule. Great pay and benefits along with the idea that you're allowed to take time off without being made to feel guilty for doing so. Training opportunities are many, especially if you're interested in more advanced positions within the company. I'm treated with respect here which is a far-cry from the other case management company I resigned from to join here.

Cons

While the company does follow a "team" approach, the expectation remains that case managers function independently. For some folks, they might not feel comfortable with that approach. Still, I've seen supervisors work closer with some employees so it's all good.

Don't change. It's nice to know that everyone is approachable and willing to give you the time of day, Being seen as a valued employee is very empowering and at least for me, is quite encouraging.

Fantastic Company With Great Benefits & A Real Commitment To Excellence. Staff Are Valued & Treated With Respect.

Current Employee - Team Leader  in  Evansville, IN
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Evansville, IN

I have been working at The Columbus Organization full-time for more than a year

Pros

Super co-workers who are always ready to answer questions or assist with a difficult case. Columbus provides employees with many forms of resources to help you build your professional skills including educational opportunities and working with experienced supervisors on your Team. The salary and reimbursement stipends are higher than the previous case management agency I worked for and unlike that previous agency, there exists the ability to be promoted and move around within the company easily. You can choose how far you want to go in this company and Leadership does a great job of encouraging you to try for opportunities as they become available.

Cons

May sound insincere but I really have no negative comments to add at this time. Grateful to have found a company with this positive mentality to work for.

Stay in touch with your staff. Senior Leadership and Management really appear to be engaged with employees and it is helping us grow professionally and as a company. !

Switching to them was 1 of the best professional decisions I've ever made...

Current Employee - Case Manager  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at The Columbus Organization full-time for more than a year

Pros

This company really puts it's employees first. Open lines of communication all the way up to the Executive Directors and Corporate Leadership. As a working Mom, the flexible schedules are invaluable as it lets me be there for special events like my children's school plays etc. I was a little nervous about switching to a salary but it's nice to have a consistent caseload without worrying who's going to be added without my knowledge. Also nice to see that they indeed promote from within. You really learn a lot being here...

Cons

Caseloads are growing fast so need to hire more qualified case managers quicker to help even out the cases. I like the salary aspect but would be nice for CMs to have option to increase pay through choosing to have more than 50 on their caseload.

Don't be afraid to be proactive in hiring more case managers and Team Leaders now because referrals keep coming....

Great Work Environment, Great Communication, Great Co-Workers, Great Supervisors, Great Company!

I have been working at The Columbus Organization full-time for more than a year

Pros

You can set your own work schedule and a culture where you're seen as a professional. Salary is good with great benefits. The orientation provides you with all the skills necessary to do the job and you're given the time and guidance before being let out on your own. If I have questions, all I have to do is call one of the supervisors or co-workers and they are ready to assist. There's a genuine feeling that we're all here to help each other so it's makes it easy to ask "dumb" questions without feeling like an idiot. With tough cases, I never feel like I'm alone and experienced staff are always willing to help. At Columbus, it's all about providing the best service for their employees as well as the consumers we work with.

Cons

Look at hiring more case managers often to keep the caseloads at manageable levels. Don't get caught flat-flooted. As the company keeps getting bigger, look to add more bonus'.

Don't change the current Team mentoring structure as it really supports new employees to learn the ropes quickly. As we get bigger, keep the lines of communication open.

Truly An Innovative, Caring Company Who Provides Staff The Tools & Resources For Professional Growth

Current Employee - Case Manager  in  Gary, IN
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Gary, IN

I have been working at The Columbus Organization full-time for more than a year

Pros

A very supportive and vibrant culture where the lines of communication between staff and Leadership are always open. Supervisors and Leadership staff are very approachable and accessible; a refreshing change from my previous case management employer. Salary is competitive with what other agencies are offering as well are the benefits, travel and equipment stipends. Advancement opportunities are kept "in-house" and are based on competence/performance as opposed to your relationship with company owners. Assorted management-style trainings are available which serve to prepare you when leadership jobs become available. Columbus acknowledges their staff in many positive ways as I was surprised to learn when they sent my daughter flowers when she was recently hospitalized. That kind of commitment to your employees is seldom seen in a company and I for one am very blessed to have come to work for them.

Cons

With all the new families apparently choosing us, I'd like to see if there was a way to speed up our ability to increase travel stipends within any given month. Having to navigate State requirements on paperwork can often be time-consuming and Columbus should try to see if the State office can revise some of their expectations.

Continue to promote the positive work environment as Columbus continues to grow. You clearly can see it in the work ethic staff have and in the complimentary comments made by the families we work with. Nothing beats picking up the phone and actually getting your supervisor on the first try so keep those communication lanes open.

A Place Where You Really Feel Valued & Part Of A Team.

Current Employee - Case Manager  in  Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Fort Wayne, IN

Pros

From my first day on the job, I was provided the training and support I would need to do the job right. I felt that my supervisor really wanted me to succeed; something I had not felt with my previous case management employer. I'm not micro-managed and by being allowed to schedule my own meetings, I feel I've improved work skills like time-management and holding meetings. Great communication with supervisors and corporate leadership has also been a great plus and really surprising from what I've experienced in the past with other companies.

Cons

I could see where some folks who crave more structure may not like the Columbus system as they encourage independence in their case managers. A higher mileage stipend would be nice. Not a fan of a salary although it's nice to know what your pay-check is month to month.

Please don't let success go to your head. Your staff is really working hard to make a difference in people' lives and as our caseloads grow, I hope that translates into bonus' and salary raises.

There Is A Reason Why So Many Indiana Families & Experienced Case Managers Are Coming To The Columbus - Glad I Did!

Current Employee - Case Manager  in  Muncie, IN
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Muncie, IN

I have been working at The Columbus Organization full-time for more than a year

Pros

Having come from another CMCO, the first thing that you notice with this company is how genuinely appreciative they are towards their staff and those families they work with. Orientation was thorough and while I already was experienced, was nice to see trainers take the time to work with newer employees to make sure the material was understood. Like most agencies, the work schedule is flexible, and while I wasn't used to having a set salary, it was nice to be able to count on knowing exactly what my pay was going to be check to check. Unlike my former job, their travel, equipment and supply stipends actually cover your monthly expenses which was a pleasant surprise. Last positive is that they offer leadership trainings for those who are interested. Something I never saw with any consistency in the 4 years I was with my former agency. Nice to actually have a shot at a promotion because you're competent, not because you "know" somebody.

Cons

Like any expanding company, the learning curve is steep for new employees but again, experienced supervisors are there to assist. I'd like to see more bonus incentives in place but I understand that is being discussed. Also would like Columbus to advocate to the State with regards to decreasing the amount of monthly paperwork involved with case management.

Continue to offer trainings and other opportunities for those staff interested in leadership positions to take advantage of. It's awesome to know that if you apply yourself and make the effort, Columbus supervisors take the time to recognizes your hard work with a genuine "Thank you" and "Job well done".

Worked for The Columbus Organization? Contribute to the Community!