The Columbus Organization Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.6
Richard Ronder

After Working For Other CMCOs - Finally One That Really Cares About Families!

Current Employee - Case Manager in Kokomo, IN

I have been working at The Columbus Organization full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great orientation process and supervisory structure. Nice to see that there is opportunity for advancement within the company. Never have I been with a company where Senior Leadership is so approachable.

Cons

Columbus does have a steep learning curve and some new employees have difficulty adjusting to the philosophy that the families needs come first. Then there's the amount of State driven paperwork and timelines.... UGH!

Advice to Management

Continue to show us support and willingness to not only listen but to act on some of our suggestions. Can't tell you how much it is appreciated!

Best company in medical field

Pros

Worked for them 12 years. Excellent support,salary and benefits. Good communication, work hard to kerp good contracts available.

Cons

Regrettably, my primary contract setting went out of business and no local sites were available through no fault of this organization.

Advice to Management

Value your middle management, they work hard.

3. Support Coordinator

Former Employee - Support Coordinator
    Former Employee - Support Coordinator

I worked at The Columbus Organization full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay and benefits are mediocre. I liked my direct boss. Helped me out a lot

Cons

Other than that the company is terrible. The culture is just not a positive environment. Everyone is negative and it starts with the corporate office and upper management. I've heard some bad things about there and it seems on point as to how the whole company is run

Advice to Management

My direct management was great but I think everything above my boss needs to change.

The best career choice I've made was deciding to work for Columbus!

Current Employee - Case Manager in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Case Manager in South Bend, IN

I have been working at The Columbus Organization full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm so excited that over 2 years ago more companies were granted the opportunity to offer case management services to individuals receiving waiver services. This provided families an opportunity to choose the case management provider who was the best fit for their loved ones rather than being forced to work with only one company. As a case manager providing case management services for many years I too was excited about the opportunity to choose the best company to fit my needs as an employee. Finally I'm known as a compassionate, caring, hard working individual who works to meet the needs of my consumers rather than just a name on the companies payroll. Management knows me by my name, are always available to answer my questions, compliment me when I do a good job, and strive to assist me to be the best case manager I can be!

Cons

Sometimes I find myself working after hours due to the nature of working from home.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire well trained and knowledgeable Team Leaders to provide assistance and training to case managers. Since I don't work in an office and have someone available at all times for questions it's nice to know that I can always call my Team Leader when I need help.

"compassion in action"

Pros

The Columbus Organization has an administrative team that are willing and driven to supply case managers with every needed item and support to ensure consumer success. I appreciate that the administrators have confidence in my work ethic and provide compensation for travel without proof of each mile driven. I have confidence in the supervision team that they will return a phone call or email promptly so I can complete my work timely in support of my consumer needs. As a seasoned case management professional, I appreciate that the case load size is manageable and with the time management techniques I've learned over the years; with a full case load, I'm able to complete all my work within the hours of 8-5 with no need to work in the evenings.

Cons

As a case management professional, the only con that comes into play is that working from home inevitably leads to isolation and no team camaraderie, however, the Columbus Organization does an amazing job of ensuring this does not occur by having monthly meetings with team members to build support among the team members.

Advice to Management

Continue this great fight! We, case managers, appreciate the willingness to offer us support and a salary we can depend on to provide for ourselves and our loved ones.

FANTASTIC COMPANY!!!!

Current Employee - Case Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at The Columbus Organization full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Supervisors at Columbus do make a point to inspire their employees to work hard and advocate for our families. Great company and potential to work on interesting projects across the country. Trainings available all the time and everyone is very supportive of improving your opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Extended hours are definitely a con but you set your own hours and are able to help individuals that possibly not get help otherwise.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide real company values and the opportunities of advancement by hiring within,

So Nice To Work For Someone Who Truly Helps Families While Providing Me The Tools & Resources For Professional Growth

Current Employee - Regional Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Regional Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Columbus Organization full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

From my first day on the job, I was provided the training and support I would need to do the job right. I felt that my supervisor really wanted me to succeed; something I had not felt with my previous case management employer. I'm not micro-managed and by being allowed to schedule my own meetings, I feel I've improved work skills like time-management and holding meetings. You're encouraged to think for yourself and management understands that making educated mistakes are part of the growth process of an employee.. Great communication with supervisors and corporate leadership has also been a great plus and really surprising from what I've experienced in the past with other companies.Nice to see that advancement opportunities are based on performance, not family ties. Salary structure allows you to focus on your cases rather than how many people you can bill for. Company mindset seems to be on providing families great services and not the bottom-line.

Cons

I could see where some folks who crave more structure may not like the Columbus system as they encourage independence in their case managers. A higher mileage stipend would be nice.

Advice to Management

Please keep reinforcing understanding and accessibility of Leadership. Presently, staff feel there is a genuine interest in what we have to say and do like that our input is considered in company decisions. There's a positive vibe and a real sense of "Team" among the employees here so don't mess it up :).

After Having Worked For Another Indiana Case Management Company, I Now See What A Genuine Caring Company Really Is!

Current Employee - Case Manager in Kokomo, IN

I have been working at The Columbus Organization full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

From the first day on the job, you're made to feel welcome and appreciated. Although I already had experience working as a case manager, they're training program for new staff was quite thorough and way beyond anything I had had previously. Very approachable supervisors as well as senior leadership. They even give you the cell numbers of the company president and vice president if you should ever have a problem - Wow! Very competitive benefits package and I like that they match your deposits into your 401K. Also like that they hire for supervisor positions from within. With my previous employer that never happened.

Cons

The one thing I see that could be a problem is that the staff here are very self motivated and are encouraged to work with minimal supervisor oversight. I was experienced in this field so appreciated that but others might not.

Advice to Management

I like the fact that everyone in Leadership is approachable and communication between staff is encouraged and reinforced. I also hope that they continue to offer advancement opportunities to us as it's a great feeling to know that the business you work for has enough confidence in you to do more than what you're doing now. That's one of the reasons why staff turnover is so low.

Very positive experience working with the company.

Pros

Flexibility with scheduling work hours, good working relationships with co-workers. Quick response to issues or concerns when brought to attention of management.

Cons

No real negatives to think of regarding my experience working with the organization. As a professional I appreciated the flexibility and independence provided me.

Amazing Work Atmosphere That Nurtures Personal Development - Great Co-workers & Culture. Simply A Great Place To Work!

Current Employee - Team Leader in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at The Columbus Organization full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Senior Leadership and Supervisors at Columbus do make a point to inspire their employees to work hard and advocate for our families. Great company network and potential to work on interesting projects across the country. Fantastic trainings available all the time and everyone is very supportive.

Cons

Extended hours are definitely at the top of the list and the need to be available can take some getting used to. Still, there's no better feeling than being able to help someone who is less able than you.

Advice to Management

Continue to attract Incredible people (both talented and caring) and provide real company values. We do appreciate all the training and mentoring opportunities as it does help staff prepare for advancement once higher positions become available. Can't tell you how much we (i) appreciate knowing that Columbus hires from within.

RSS Feed </> Embed