The Columbus Organization Reviews

Updated April 7, 2015
19 reviews filtered by
4.4
Richard Ronder

The best career choice I've made was deciding to work for Columbus!

Current Employee - Case Manager in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Case Manager in South Bend, IN

I have been working at The Columbus Organization full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm so excited that over 2 years ago more companies were granted the opportunity to offer case management services to individuals receiving waiver services. This provided families an opportunity to choose the case management provider who was the best fit for their loved ones rather than being forced to work with only one company. As a case manager providing case management services for many years I too was excited about the opportunity to choose the best company to fit my needs as an employee. Finally I'm known as a compassionate, caring, hard working individual who works to meet the needs of my consumers rather than just a name on the companies payroll. Management knows me by my name, are always available to answer my questions, compliment me when I do a good job, and strive to assist me to be the best case manager I can be!

Cons

Sometimes I find myself working after hours due to the nature of working from home.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire well trained and knowledgeable Team Leaders to provide assistance and training to case managers. Since I don't work in an office and have someone available at all times for questions it's nice to know that I can always call my Team Leader when I need help.

"compassion in action"

I have been working at The Columbus Organization

Pros

The Columbus Organization has an administrative team that are willing and driven to supply case managers with every needed item and support to ensure consumer success. I appreciate that the administrators have confidence in my work ethic and provide compensation for travel without proof of each mile driven. I have confidence in the supervision team that they will return a phone call or email promptly so I can complete my work timely in support of my consumer needs. As a seasoned case management professional, I appreciate that the case load size is manageable and with the time management techniques I've learned over the years; with a full case load, I'm able to complete all my work within the hours of 8-5 with no need to work in the evenings.

Cons

As a case management professional, the only con that comes into play is that working from home inevitably leads to isolation and no team camaraderie, however, the Columbus Organization does an amazing job of ensuring this does not occur by having monthly meetings with team members to build support among the team members.

Advice to Management

Continue this great fight! We, case managers, appreciate the willingness to offer us support and a salary we can depend on to provide for ourselves and our loved ones.

FANTASTIC COMPANY!!!!

Current Employee - Case Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at The Columbus Organization full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Supervisors at Columbus do make a point to inspire their employees to work hard and advocate for our families. Great company and potential to work on interesting projects across the country.
    Trainings available all the time and everyone is very supportive of improving your opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Extended hours are definitely a con but you set your own hours and are able to help individuals that possibly not get help otherwise.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide real company values and the opportunities of advancement by hiring within,

So Nice To Work For Someone Who Truly Helps Families While Providing Me The Tools & Resources For Professional Growth

Current Employee - Regional Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Regional Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Columbus Organization full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

From my first day on the job, I was provided the training and support I would need to do the job right. I felt that my supervisor really wanted me to succeed; something I had not felt with my previous case management employer. I'm not micro-managed and by being allowed to schedule my own meetings, I feel I've improved work skills like time-management and holding meetings. You're encouraged to think for yourself and management understands that making educated mistakes are part of the growth process of an employee.. Great communication with supervisors and corporate leadership has also been a great plus and really surprising from what I've experienced in the past with other companies.Nice to see that advancement opportunities are based on performance, not family ties. Salary structure allows you to focus on your cases rather than how many people you can bill for. Company mindset seems to be on providing families great services and not the bottom-line.

Cons

Advice to Management

Please keep reinforcing understanding and accessibility of Leadership. Presently, staff feel there is a genuine interest in what we have to say and do like that our input is considered in company decisions. There's a positive vibe and a real sense of "Team" among the employees here so don't mess it up :).

After Having Worked For Another Indiana Case Management Company, I Now See What A Genuine Caring Company Really Is!

Current Employee - Case Manager in Kokomo, IN
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Kokomo, IN

I have been working at The Columbus Organization full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

From the first day on the job, you're made to feel welcome and appreciated. Although I already had experience working as a case manager, they're training program for new staff was quite thorough and way beyond anything I had had previously. Very approachable supervisors as well as senior leadership. They even give you the cell numbers of the company president and vice president if you should ever have a problem - Wow! Very competitive benefits package and I like that they match your deposits into your 401K. Also like that they hire for supervisor positions from within. With my previous employer that never happened.

Cons

The one thing I see that could be a problem is that the staff here are very self motivated and are encouraged to work with minimal supervisor oversight. I was experienced in this field so appreciated that but others might not.

Advice to Management

I like the fact that everyone in Leadership is approachable and communication between staff is encouraged and reinforced. I also hope that they continue to offer advancement opportunities to us as it's a great feeling to know that the business you work for has enough confidence in you to do more than what you're doing now. That's one of the reasons why staff turnover is so low.

Very positive experience working with the company.

I worked at The Columbus Organization

Pros

Flexibility with scheduling work hours, good working relationships with co-workers. Quick response to issues or concerns when brought to attention of management.

Cons

No real negatives to think of regarding my experience working with the organization. As a professional I appreciated the flexibility and independence provided me.

8. TERRIBLE COMPANY STAY AWAY!!!!

Current Employee - Mrdd Professional
    Current Employee - Mrdd Professional

I have been working at The Columbus Organization full-time

Pros

Nothing to really say except I met a couple nice people working there. The benefits were good enough for me and my family.

Cons

No support from the top down. Hours were never right. They have a way of calculating hours that really messes up the employee. It's basically stealing time and money from the employee. Pay is terrible. Corporate management team is terrible. And the owner of the company is a complete slime ball who thinks he's doing gods work but is just out for a buck. The president is another corporate woman just out to make money and make cuts along the way. Stay away!

Advice to Management

Start from scratch.

The Columbus Organization Response

Apr 23, 2015Executive Director

Given the fundamental inaccuracies of this review we feel this person is not (or ever was) an employee of our organization. It has been reported to Glassdoor for removal under their Community ... More

Amazing Work Atmosphere That Nurtures Personal Development - Great Co-workers & Culture. Simply A Great Place To Work!

Current Employee - Team Leader in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at The Columbus Organization full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Senior Leadership and Supervisors at Columbus do make a point to inspire their employees to work hard and advocate for our families. Great company network and potential to work on interesting projects across the country.
    Fantastic trainings available all the time and everyone is very supportive.

Cons

Extended hours are definitely at the top of the list and the need to be available can take some getting used to. Still, there's no better feeling than being able to help someone who is less able than you.

Advice to Management

Continue to attract Incredible people (both talented and caring) and provide real company values. We do appreciate all the training and mentoring opportunities as it does help staff prepare for advancement once higher positions become available. Can't tell you how much we (i) appreciate knowing that Columbus hires from within.

Good experience

I worked at The Columbus Organization

Pros

friendly environment, people all are committed to their work

Cons

communication is not as strong as it could be

Unlike Other Case Management Companies, Columbus Really Does Deliver On Their Promises To Staff & Those They Serve...

Current Employee - Case Manager in Columbus, IN
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Columbus, IN

I have been working at The Columbus Organization full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Having come from another CMCO, the first thing that you notice with this company is how genuinely appreciative they are towards their staff and those families they work with. Orientation was thorough and while I already was experienced, was nice to see trainers take the time to work with newer employees to make sure the material was understood. Like most agencies, the work schedule is flexible, and while I wasn't used to having a set salary, it was nice to be able to count on knowing exactly what my pay was going to be check to check. Unlike my former job, their travel, equipment and supply stipends actually cover your monthly expenses which was a pleasant surprise. Last positive is that they offer leadership trainings for those who are interested. Something I never saw with any consistency in the 4 years I was with my former agency. Nice to actually have a shot at a promotion because you're competent, not because you "know" somebody.

Cons

I could see where some folks who crave more structure may not like the Columbus system as they encourage independence in their case managers. A higher mileage stipend would be nice. Not a fan of a salary although it's nice to know what your pay-check is month to month.

Advice to Management

Continue to offer trainings and other opportunities for those staff interested in leadership positions to take advantage of. It's awesome to know that if you apply yourself and make the effort, Columbus supervisors take the time to recognizes your hard work with a genuine "Thank you" and "Job well done".

The Columbus Organization Photos