The Common Man Family of Restaurants

1. Server

Current Employee - Server in Meredith, NH
    Current Employee - Server in Meredith, NH

I have been working at The Common Man Family of Restaurants

Pros

Flexible hours
    Great company loyalty
    Good management

Cons

Busyness of locations are all very season dependent

Very stressful.

Current Employee - Server in Tilton, NH
    Current Employee - Server in Tilton, NH

I have been working at The Common Man Family of Restaurants

Pros

The money is great. I make more working part-time at the Diner than I would any entry-level job out of college.

Free food every shift.

Dress code is simple and laid-back.

Employee appreciation day once a year.

Cons

Very stressful due to the extremely fast turn-time of the tables.

"Secret shoppers" anonymously come in to rate your service to make sure you follow the "20 steps of Common Man service." If you score low on this, your job is in jeopardy. This is ridiculous, especially in the summer time when we serve over 1,000 people every day.

Upper management very strict and sucks the fun out of the company.

Low employee morale.

Advice to Management

Lighten up on the secret shopper checklist. They make everyone stress out.

Offer more employee incentives.

Give more positive feedback, morale is low at the Diner.

3. Money was ok as long as you dont mind being degraded a bit.

Former Employee - Server in Windham, NH
    Former Employee - Server in Windham, NH

I worked at The Common Man Family of Restaurants

Pros

+Customers (especially regulars) are for the most part very generous (with tips) and pleasant towards waitstaff.
    +Sometimes managers will give out Alex Bucks for a job well done or if you do them a favor. Employees can use this "monopoly-like" money at any of the restaurants or inns.
    +Employee "appreciation day".

Cons

-Management is incredibly condescending towards employees, often treating them like inferiors.
    -Hard work ethics often overlooked.
    -Promotions or raises are mainly based on favoritism rather than how hard the individual works.
    -Non Management workers must give alot of themselves without proper compensation or recognition.
    -Managers mainly focus on negative reinforcement when training new hires, and while correcting employee mistakes or other issues within the restaurant. This often leaves employees feeling worthless and destroys any bit of self-esteem they came in there with.
    -Managers generally do not listen to legitimate employee feedback and suggestions.
    - Non-management Employees are not paid much respect.

Advice to Management

Perhaps use some positive reinforcement to correct issues or mistakes of employees, instead of relying on negative reinforcement all the time. Try treating your workers with more respect because their hard work ethic is the foundation on which the business stands.

5. In one sentence? I have it, they treat you like the scum on their shoe that you should pick off.

Current Employee - Server in Plymouth, NH
    Current Employee - Server in Plymouth, NH

I have been working at The Common Man Family of Restaurants

Pros

Tips are generously given from the customers. The common man gives out "A-Rays" which is equal to money for every nice comment car you receive. With the A-Rays you can take someone out to dinner or use it at their Inn.

Cons

There are a lot of downsides. One, is that the hours can be completely ridiculous. Sometimes they will have you stay all day. Another is that even if you request a specific day off in the month, the manager will basically assign you that day and all of a sudden tell you that you need to find someone else to cover for you. It's a slap in the face- why did you even ask me if I needed any days off in the the first place if you weren't going to give it to me! Managers of the company are too conceited and concerned for their own needs and wants. Isn't the motto: "If the employees are happy, the customers are happy?" On that note, The Common Man managers tend to think they are President and treat their employees like slaves. They consider their employees part of the common man 'family'. There is nothing about working at The Common Man that feels like a family.

Advice to Management

Dear Common Man, I would try treating your servers with a bit more respect. It may come as a shock to you, but they are people too with their own personal lives and problems. Try being, I don't know, considerate?

6. My experience was great until they became too corporate>

Current Employee - Bartender/Waitress
    Current Employee - Bartender/Waitress

I have been working at The Common Man Family of Restaurants

Pros

The people we serve are loyal custumers and I enjoy interacting with them. The people that frequent the common man seem to really care about the employpees.

Cons

The company has become too corporate and has lost it's family feeling. They need to get back to their roots which made it a fun place to work.

Advice to Management

Please get back to your roots and stop all the corporate micro-management which has made it a less desirable place to work. Happy employees help to make happy customers. You are driving a wedge between your employees and management.

7. Very good place to work.

I have been working at The Common Man Family of Restaurants

Pros

Flexible schedule and always able to take time off

Cons

Working nights and weekends can be difficult at times

Advice to Management

offer more feedback at times

8. Money can be good but you have to give a lot of your self to survive

Current Employee - Sous Chef
    Current Employee - Sous Chef

I have been working at The Common Man Family of Restaurants

Pros

Employment in this area is hard to find

Cons

Owner does not care about his employees

Advice to Management

Spend time with GM's rather then emails