The Company of Others

Updated October 1, 2014
Updated October 1, 2014
2.8

Jose Lozano

Great opportunities in a fun environment

Current Employee - Media in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Media in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Company of Others full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Great agency-wide initiatives (The Other You), job perks (summer hours, extended time off) and fun events for employees.
    -Supportive management and account teams
    -Interesting work/clients and very smart, experienced coworkers
    -Great learning and growth opportunities for those who shine in this environment
    -Fresh digital team has brought new perspectives and set new precedents/a higher bar for the department
    -To me, work-life balance at this agency is pretty phenomenal. This is just one of several agencies I have worked for in the past and this is the most balanced my life has ever been. I'm surprised some others have said that their balance is unsatisfactory as I usually leave around 6 and I'm one of the last people here.

Cons

-Overcoming legacy of negativity and lack of procedure by some predecessors has been challenging. As some other reviewers mentioned, a group of employees was let go earlier this year due to incongruence (negativity, unwillingness to collaborate) with the direction of the agency. In my opinion, however, this was a move in the right direction and teams across the agency are rebuilding even stronger.

-Continue passion project initiatives to bring employees' outside interests into team-building and, in cases, into client work
    -Continue staffing up with smart, motivated, collaborative employees providing clients with the next generation of data-driven solutions
    -Take disgruntled employee libel and harsh criticism with a grain of salt. I believe there is always room for some improvement and in this case I think TCOO could up its game even more by continuing to integrate departments into collaborative client teams.

Doing a lot of things Right!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at The Company of Others full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good people who are professional and genuinely care about you, the employee/co-worker. There is a focus on work/life balance. Great workspace.

Cons

The industry challenges of being an agency. Sometimes there are long hours. Recent brand changes left some people confused. Change isn't easy.

The vision is solid. We just need to make sure everyone is aware of the vision. If someone's needs ongoing re-inforcement

Like Attending a Wake

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Company of Others full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The Company / FKM has always had top grade talent and a great creative department, but that has not been enough to sustain what is now a rudderless boat.

Cons

The management have really screwed the pooch. The overworked and put off so many employees that close to 50 left at the end of 2013. The name change has most of us here confused and those outside the agency shaking their heads. I only came here to write this review because this site seems to be management's focus rather than solving the problems that cause all the negative reviews. A few other negatives have also been taken off as management hunts people down internally to remove them. I've never seen a company decline so fast in all my years in the industry.

Focus less on Glassdoor and more on the FKM revolving door

Used to be great, now it's just sad.

I worked at The Company of Others full-time

Pros

Can't think of a single one now, much better places to work in Houston.

Cons

Management is a joke, they don't know what they are doing. They have no desire to build a lasting, thriving ad agency in Houston. Employees are treated like cattle. The change in name says it all...clueless.

Close the doors or sell this place since that seems to have been the plan since taking over several years ago and move on. So sad to see what has become of what was once the best agency in Houston.

SAD....VERY SAD

I have been working at The Company of Others full-time

Pros

- Nice co-workers
    - Extended Christmas holiday time off
    - Extra days off in summer
    - Nice location

Cons

- They lay off at the drop of a hat
    - Pay is poor and below industry standard
    - Senior management is beyond poor and consists of boys wanting to be men

- Get a clue.
    - Lose your egos
    - Appreciate your employees
    - Compensate your employees fairly
    - Don't constantly lay off employees
    - Improve the morale
    - Fire your CEO and President. They're useless.

Simply the worst

I have been working at The Company of Others

Pros

The management team is overcompensating for driving herds of employees out of the door. So there's a lot of mandatory fun happening to try to create a culture and improve morale.

Working at The Company is still working at an agency, so there's merit in that for those who want that type of experience.

If you're a favorite of the leadership team, expect lots of jokes, perks and happy hours. If you don't pander to the leadership team, expect your existence to be miserable.

Cons

Watching the leadership team try to lead is comical, if sad things make you laugh. It's a bunch of clowns trying to play Mad Men. They're re-inventing the wheel and then trying to take credit for it. Tremendous self importance. Desperate to create snazzy branded services, but then launch them and they fizzle out before they start. And there's frequent backstabbing and inappropriate discussion, sometimes behind closed doors and sometimes not.

The flash in the pan is really neat for a second. But consider your long-term goals, because the smoke and mirrors aren't the solid foundation an agency needs.

Good Benefits but lacking in good management

I worked at The Company of Others

Pros

They offer good benefits and extra time off during the Christmas holidays.

Cons

My skills were not utilized fully. Was promised additional work but never received. My manager did not show equal treatment to everyone in our department.

Good Employees, Hampered By Terrible Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at The Company of Others full-time

Pros

- Really nice, friendly, hard working co-workers
    - They throw everything on your plate, so a lot of experience really fast
    - Summer bonus days off, extended Christmas break
    - Tools at your disposal be it media research, creative suites, etc.

Cons

- Over worked and under paid: As much as 30% below position average
    - Lack of a shared vision/mission/strategy/goals/values between upper management and employees
    - Lack of basic appreciation for employees
    - No training, onboarding, advancement for education
    - No communication or accountability between departments
    - Extremely high turnover: 25 employees in Q1 2014 left on their own accord
    - Poor morale: Morale meetings "We know it's bad guys.."

The biggest problem was FKM's change to The Company of Others. With the change, any shared strategy, process, or vision between employees and upper management went out the window. Upper management has not been able to connect employees everyday jobs as advertisers, with management's new goal of consulting, although they won't call it consulting. On top of not seeing how they fit with the company, employees are not cared for. They are over worked, under paid, do not have advancement opportunities, and concerns are not listened to. This lead to incredibly high turnover in 2014 as 25+ employees left on their own accord seeking better employment. It was scary at first, then a joke, and finally sad as remaining employees were required to attend "morale" meetings in which plans for improvement were laid out, but week after week nothing was followed up on. Then came the lay-offs. 7 employees total, all told they "no longer fit with the direction of The Company". Most of which were vital, talented pieces, where their loss is still being felt today. There is a very hollow core to this company.

Great TX Agency

I have been working at The Company of Others full-time

Pros

Lots of potential if you work hard and know the right people
    New management making changes for the better
    Great people
    Small enough to feel like you matter, big enough to work on cool accounts

Cons

Very corporate atmosphere, doesn't feel very creative
    Lack of communication from upper management to the agency on new things like new business, wins, losses, financial state, etc.

Have more agency and/or departmental meetings, let us know what's going on

Great growing environment

Current Employee - Creative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Creative in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Company of Others full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Creative and innovative people, exciting working environment, fun and dedicated co-workers, flexible vacation, great health benefits

Cons

Pay isn't fantastic, frequent long hours, some employees have bad attitudes

Need to develop a smoother system to eliminate wasted time and energy.

The Company of Others Photos