The Company of Others

3.1

Jose Lozano

Rebranding isn't a 6 month process

Current Employee - Media in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Company of Others full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are several pros at TCOO. First of all, summer half days, a 2 week holiday vacation, management is flexible with hours (in regards to Dr appts, sick children, leaving early to beat traffic, coming in late, picking someone up from the airport, etc), there's not a problem with social cliques, the people here are great, outstanding benefits, the work is interesting and they're always willing to let you learn, even if it has nothing to do with your current job. One pro that still shocks me today is how down to earth and relatable management is (COO, CEO, CFO, etc). They aren't the guys who never show up and have no idea what's going on in the agency. They're the guys who are personally invested, brainstorming in meetings, taking heat from the client, and actively working to make the agency succeed.

Cons

Apparently other reviewers (and a few co-workers) think that you can re-brand a company and completely change your approach to advertising and marketing in just a couple months and it will be a smooth process along the way. REALLY? It takes years to accomplish and establish a re-branded company... and that doesn't even count that the agency is completely changing their approach to how they market and advertise and pitch to clients. The one con here is that some coworkers and ex-employees are extremely entitled... they assume that because they work here for 1 year and 8 months that they suddenly deserve to jump through the ranks, earn constant praise from supervisors, and more money.

Keep doing what you're doing. Keep the transparency alive within the company. Keep trusting your employees. Don't assume that employees can "absorb" added work. Keep listening to your employees. Keep being relatable. And PLEASE keep up with "the other you" campaign... it connects those of us who have a hard time connecting.

Don't be fooled by reality TV

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at The Company of Others

Pros

This agency which was once known as FKM was on the TV reality show "The Pitch" and won.

Cons

This is a place where senior ego's especially that of the President who is the head of Creative get in the way of the agency fostering young talent. He is threatened by anyone who is smart so unfortunate so many of the younger talented employees who are paid so little burn out and either leave or get let go because they aren't heard. Also, this agency continues to reinvent itself because it can't focus on one mission and grow like most agencies. They have let all long term senior management go except the CEO and President so there is absolutely no loyalty whatsoever. In addition, I was asked to lie to y clients on behalf of management's mistakes which I refused to do.

Grow up if you want a sustainable business

Two Kinds of TCOO Employees, Those Looking to Leave and Those Who Left

I worked at The Company of Others

Pros

TCOO offers a great Christmas break period and the benefits are outstanding. The office location and set-up is also a positive. The creative team is the best in Houston.

Cons

TCOO chases people out the door, either with a horrible job experience or by laying people off. Turnover is bad, even by industry standards. Anybody saying different is management. You work long hours (70+ hours) and management is absent in supplying any type of leadership or direction. Some in upper management wouldn't be qualified to hold their TCOO job with any other company. Lots of VP's who talk the talk but are functionally useless when it comes to actual work. Lots of interns with little to no experience. Read the reviews and see what management is writing. "The office seems disjointed" is code for "we're going to move because we can't afford this great space anymore." Don't even get me started on the 'Realism Smart Device.'

Rethink the current direction and treat employees like you'd like them to stay.

You Don't Want to Be in The Company of Others: They Overpromise and Underdeliver

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at The Company of Others (less than a year)

Pros

- Copious company-funded happy hours, probably to help cheer up overworked, dissatisfied and disillusioned employees.
    - Enough space to run around and hide from the people constantly asking you to work late.
    - Many empty desks to duck into with a laptop so you can search for a new job.
    - When you stare off into the distance wondering why you're still there, you can enjoy great views of Houston.

Cons

The biggest problem from which all others stem: Senior management is scattered, disjointed, unclear on their own concept, and constantly second-guessing their decisions and team. They talk big and deliver little. This trickles down into the rest of the staff being unclear on vision, mission, goals, responsibilities, and everything else they need to know in order to be productive and effective.

Be the change you wish to see.

Great opportunities in a fun environment

Current Employee - Media in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Company of Others full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Great agency-wide initiatives (The Other You), job perks (summer hours, extended time off) and fun events for employees.
    -Supportive management and account teams
    -Interesting work/clients and very smart, experienced coworkers
    -Great learning and growth opportunities for those who shine in this environment
    -Fresh digital team has brought new perspectives and set new precedents/a higher bar for the department
    -To me, work-life balance at this agency is pretty phenomenal. This is just one of several agencies I have worked for in the past and this is the most balanced my life has ever been. I'm surprised some others have said that their balance is unsatisfactory as I usually leave around 6 and I'm one of the last people here.

Cons

-Overcoming legacy of negativity and lack of procedure by some predecessors has been challenging. As some other reviewers mentioned, a group of employees was let go earlier this year due to incongruence (negativity, unwillingness to collaborate) with the direction of the agency. In my opinion, however, this was a move in the right direction and teams across the agency are rebuilding even stronger.

-Continue passion project initiatives to bring employees' outside interests into team-building and, in cases, into client work
    -Continue staffing up with smart, motivated, collaborative employees providing clients with the next generation of data-driven solutions
    -Take disgruntled employee libel and harsh criticism with a grain of salt. I believe there is always room for some improvement and in this case I think TCOO could up its game even more by continuing to integrate departments into collaborative client teams.

Very Happy Here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Company of Others full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The Company is a progressive agency, so it's not for everyone. If you are an innovative thinker, are open to new approaches to doing business and want to expand and evolve as a professional, this is the agency for you. One thing I like most about working here is that I have great coworkers. Since a handful of employees are not originally from Houston, many people socialize outside of work and everyone feels very welcome. The agency owners are also very down to earth and they make themselves available to all employees. There is no sense of separation. If you have an issue you want to discuss, they will make themselves available to speak with you and they truly care about what you have to say. The agency also provides opportunities for employees to move around within the company. I know numerous people who have shifted roles/departments. The agency made special accommodations for these employees so they could get the work experience they wanted without having to look for a new job. In terms of vacation, we are given half days in the summer every other Friday and the agency is closed between Christmas and New Year’s.

Cons

*The layout of the office is not great. The creative department is on a different floor and it feels like a disconnect at times. Also, the office does feel corporate and less like a “creative” atmosphere (It’s my understanding that a solution to these layout and design issues is in the work). *The agency was rebranded in 2013, so processes are changing and things are still in flux and evolving. *As far as workload goes, when it rains it pours. Generally, workflow is steady to heavy. Not too many lulls or “light” times of year….at least that I’ve found. Bu then again, having work to do is something to be grateful for…

Restructure the setup of the office or move us to a better location/office layout. Continue to support a culture where everyone feels welcome and inclusive. Attract employees who support this culture and who are open and excited about new ideas and approaches.

Doing a lot of things Right!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at The Company of Others full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good people who are professional and genuinely care about you, the employee/co-worker. There is a focus on work/life balance. Great workspace.

Cons

The industry challenges of being an agency. Sometimes there are long hours. Recent brand changes left some people confused. Change isn't easy.

The vision is solid. We just need to make sure everyone is aware of the vision. If someone's needs ongoing re-inforcement

Used to be great, now it's just sad.

I worked at The Company of Others full-time

Pros

Can't think of a single one now, much better places to work in Houston.

Cons

Management is a joke, they don't know what they are doing. They have no desire to build a lasting, thriving ad agency in Houston. Employees are treated like cattle. The change in name says it all...clueless.

Close the doors or sell this place since that seems to have been the plan since taking over several years ago and move on. So sad to see what has become of what was once the best agency in Houston.

SAD....VERY SAD

I have been working at The Company of Others full-time

Pros

- Nice co-workers
    - Extended Christmas holiday time off
    - Extra days off in summer
    - Nice location

Cons

- They lay off at the drop of a hat
    - Pay is poor and below industry standard
    - Senior management is beyond poor and consists of boys wanting to be men

- Get a clue.
    - Lose your egos
    - Appreciate your employees
    - Compensate your employees fairly
    - Don't constantly lay off employees
    - Improve the morale
    - Fire your CEO and President. They're useless.

Simply the worst

I have been working at The Company of Others

Pros

The management team is overcompensating for driving herds of employees out of the door. So there's a lot of mandatory fun happening to try to create a culture and improve morale.

Working at The Company is still working at an agency, so there's merit in that for those who want that type of experience.

If you're a favorite of the leadership team, expect lots of jokes, perks and happy hours. If you don't pander to the leadership team, expect your existence to be miserable.

Cons

Watching the leadership team try to lead is comical, if sad things make you laugh. It's a bunch of clowns trying to play Mad Men. They're re-inventing the wheel and then trying to take credit for it. Tremendous self importance. Desperate to create snazzy branded services, but then launch them and they fizzle out before they start. And there's frequent backstabbing and inappropriate discussion, sometimes behind closed doors and sometimes not.

The flash in the pan is really neat for a second. But consider your long-term goals, because the smoke and mirrors aren't the solid foundation an agency needs.

The Company of Others Photos