The Conference Board

10 years

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at The Conference Board full-time

Pros

Flex time I was allowed to grow a dept. But after 10 year was laid off due to the economy.

Cons

Unchangeable. The aenior management need to realize that the have real people working there and work on creating the family environment of the past

Be more forward thinking and not just pet projects that come at the whim of the ceo and cfo.

A great company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at The Conference Board full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance, great co-workers, perks, flexibility to work from home or in the office, beautiful office, free food and drinks, upward mobility.

Cons

Some of the people that work here can be a little negative. There are two groups of people at TCB - people that believe in the organization and care about their work, and people that take it easy and enjoy the perks and then complain about a lack of mobility or that nothing is getting done. It's a small organization so you really have to contribute and wear a lot of hats and if you do it pays off.

TCB is afraid to let people go, even for cause. Companies like Zappos, and others, offer their employees money to quit. If someone is willing to leave their organization for a lump sum of money then they clearly don't value their job at the company. TCB does everything they can to keep under-performers around even if it's clear that they don't want to be there. It's backwards and it's hurting the org.

A Company with Interesting Research but Slow Innovation

I worked at The Conference Board

Pros

Heads of research departments are doing interesting/quality research

Cons

Only a few select departments/teams (CCI and Econ indicators teams) generate notable research

A changing organization

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at The Conference Board full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment. Colleagues that care about each other. Increasingly global mindset. Growing as an organization. Exciting times still to come.

Cons

Resource constrained (that's not unique to this organization). Highly matrixed, and at times can feel like multiple you have multiple bosses.

Increase direct engagement internally.

96 years old and such potential, but lousy results. Will we make it to 100 years?

Current Employee - Research Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at The Conference Board full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Bright, enthusiastic co-workers.
    A chance to get to know Fortune 500 companies and their staff well
    Great technology upgrades allow flex work
    Non profit means you are trying to help the world too

Cons

Senior team is disconnected from rest of the organization
    Trustees rubber stamp CEO and CFO plans, but those haven't worked out for the last 3 years
    Hotelling at unassigned desks means you don't get to know what other people are working on, and we all repeat the same mistakes or miss chances to collaborate
    Compensation is fine for an NYC non profit, but they promise bonuses and don't deliver them- stop promising!
    No training that is actually useful or consistent

The senior team needs to stop trying out new things and then not taking responsibility when it fails. They are simply eating into financial reserves. They laid off 10% of the workforce and are too self satisfied and comfortable to take a 10% pay cut! They laid off mid managers, looking for higher financial savings, but it hurt the organization a lot. Members that don't know the inner workings really like the organization, but it needs to step up its game- focus on 3 key businesses; use its own findings internally; modify the seating to have 'neighborhoods' . Have the trustees do a real 360 review- maybe Spector has reached the limit of his abilities and should move on or be moved.

Seemingly accessible leadership, strange culture

Current Intern - Summer Fellow in New York, NY
    Current Intern - Summer Fellow in New York, NY

I have been working at The Conference Board as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Worked as a Summer Fellow in a small department. My direct managers, and the leadership of the organization were really accessible to the summer interns. Great opportunity to contribute and the workshops/lunches they put together for summer staff were useful career development.
    Teleworking is big here, which is cool... sort of.

I ran into someone who worked as a Research Analyst during my time as a fellow about a year after my experience. She told me my entire department had been replaced...

Cons

Somewhat strange office culture- everyone is either right of school or has been around for 20+ years. Younger people are very cliquey, and is lacking some real diversity. Human capital practice is clearly their main focus, which is understandable but disappointing.

Poor management decisions making skills

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Conference Board full-time

Pros

Employee culture, diversity and team building

Cons

Low compensation and no 401 k = a very poor plan for retirement

Train staff, bring in consultants, practice our content sugeggetions

The Conference Board Response

Dec 9, 2014Vice President, Human Resources

Thanks for sharing. We do have a great team. And are constantly striving to be better.
    You might want to check with HR about your retirement planning: TCB does offer a 403(b), which is the nonprofit
    ... More

Great company, but I wouldn't recommend anyone to work here

I have been working at The Conference Board (more than a year)

Pros

Work from home, flexible, nice people, free soda,

Cons

Upper management is as wishy washy as a high school teenager, departments are clique-y (so as long as they like you, you're fine. If they don't, well, that's not their problem). Many things in this company are OLD, and are becoming less and less relevant to the 21st century. I question why some people got to their positions, and I realize it's because they have connections with some of the higher ups.

Own your mistakes and instead of asking external people to evaluate your problems, ask feedback internally.

The good, the bad, the ugly

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at The Conference Board full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There's a great work-life balance due to the hoteling policy and technology in place. My colleagues over the years have been wonderful -- oftentimes like family.

Cons

A huge amount of turnover in recent years. The family-like feeling is gone. Hoteling removes all privacy and, as an introvert, I hate it. I find I talk to fewer people than before the hoteling was put in place. There is little room for advancement and the benefits aren't great. No matching contributions anymore, and the heath plan has gone downhill.

The leadership style is pretty poor. The CEO, intentionally or not, comes off as bully and is perceived to ignore -- or, more accurately, not even entertain -- the views of others. I don't pretend to understand the strategy decisions being made, but things are not moving in the right direction.

A company with great employees being led by mismanagement

I worked at The Conference Board full-time

Pros

* It is a great place to learn and acquire new skills as you have the opportunity to be exposed to great research and resources

* Employees at the "lower" and mid levels of the organization were extremely helpful and easy to work with

* Has a rich and respected history to Fortune 1000 organizations

* Solid work/life balance

Cons

* The upper management has really dropped the ball and are held unaccountable at the expense of non executive employees

* Recently reduced about 10% of staff after poor decisions by C-suite and the decision makers are still in place despite failed ideas

* They have favorites for specific products and services at the offset of other products and services

* C-suite will either need to change mentality but most likely need to change personnel to succeed going forward

* Hold yourselves more accountable and not to blame the frontline for lack of results for lack of creative ideas to innovate for member organizations

The Conference Board Photos