The Cosmopolitan

Updated December 10, 2014
3.1

John Unwin

34 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I had the best time working at The Cosmopolitan.

Current Employee - Banquet Cook in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Banquet Cook in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at The Cosmopolitan full-time (more than an year)

Pros

All the other people I worked with supervisor/co-worker were friendly and helpful.

Cons

There is very few full time positions available and most of the building is on-call but its so busy that most everybody gets there hours anyway. I would like to add that the health insurance is also sort of not the best.

Beverage Server

Current Employee - Beverage Server in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Beverage Server in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at The Cosmopolitan

Pros

It was great money. Hard to walk away from it.

Cons

Management is very unorganized. The property is not union

Great place to work, best hotel on the strip

Former Employee - Hostess in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Hostess in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Cosmopolitan part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The culture of the hotel is young and fun, I loved the majority of my coworkers.

Cons

Scheduling was very variable which was frustrating at times.

It was a good experience that I enjoyed.

Former Employee - Prep Cook in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Prep Cook in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Cosmopolitan full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours, friendly staff, great customers

Cons

Some dumb co-workers that try to act smart

Hire smarter people.

TCOLV

Current Employee - Hotel Operations in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Hotel Operations in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at The Cosmopolitan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company has an amazing culture. The CoStars are engaged and almost every person in the building can name our core values if ever asked. When decisions need to be made and people are unsure of how to proceed, we talk about our core values and make the decision that is best aligned with them. Our values aren't just discussed in orientation like most companies, but something that is referenced every day. The company fosters an environment of innovation and creativity, regardless of the your level within the organization. Creativity is found in hourly CoStars as well as senior leaders, which is refreshing on the Strip.

Cons

There is a boys club environment that exists senior leaders in certain areas of the business. Because of that, certain leaders have been appointed into positions that weren't the best fit for the business because they play golf and like to drink together after work. It makes internal promotions more difficult. Decision making with regards to departmental structure is usually flawed and the decisions are for one's personal success rather than the success of the organization.

Keep fostering this amazing culture that is constantly building amazing future leaders. Continue programs that engage the line level costars and make them feel that they belong to something bigger than just another strip hotel. Continue investing back into our business. The capital expenditures in the last few years have been mind blowing and it is amazing to see your organization willing to spend money to keep making our hotel better. The commitment to the community is better than any organization I've worked for. It's truly incredible to see the willingness of an organization of this size to have such an Identity in the Community.

Identify leaders that are wasting time and money by constantly restructuring, moving mediocre leaders up, and working for their own personal recognition rather than focusing on our success as the game changing hotel that we are.

ONe of the coolest places to work.

Former Employee - Security Officer in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Cosmopolitan part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very foward thinking company.
    They make you feel like apart of the family.
    Great lunch program.
    decent uniforms.

Cons

............ I loved it!!!!!!! they could always pay more.

IT at Cosmopolitan Doesn't Have the Right Amount of Wrong. It's just wrong.

I have been working at The Cosmopolitan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting property. Meals available for staff.

Cons

IT. There are worthy staff that see no chance for growth and are keeping their head down til they find the right opp to jump ship, which is the ongoing trend. Add tired of backstabbing favoritism and pettiness. Some just show up for the paycheck, some are rolling with it. That’s what’s left of IT from CIO Kris Singleton’s weak tech/managerial leadership. At a technical level her vision went as far as an “ICOP”. Her version of reality doesn’t match the mess she left behind. The division is limping along as staff continue to quit. The CIO didn’t effectively address long standing problems so teams were expected to just “get along”. She is unprofessional as a leader - from negative comments and eye rolling about employees in front of other staff in or out of IT - to fishing expeditions when “reaching out” to lower level employees. Many staff found her ways inappropriate/suspicious as an exec and small minded. Instead of taking ownership of tough problems the CIO went for denial or blame - throwing staff under the bus was an MO and remains a group norm. Overall, plenty of material on “what not to do” as a manager. This is the tone and example set at CIO level and hangs over the IT group even though Singleton is gone. New leadership is in limbo. The employees still left are holding the strings together while the IT group continues to bleed staff. Working in IT at other casinos on the strip can be challenging but this place is special. Working at Cosmopolitan isn’t a reason for IT people to stick around anymore.

There’s little to weak faith that the IT management issues will ever change - for the better - with senior management or HR involvement - the staff exodus speaks for itself. That’s a lot of Cosmopolitan IT knowledge out the door. Find someone w the technical competence for the CIO role that can lead the IT group professionally. Get someone with the maturity to manage staff as adults. Get someone that can elevate the group without the backstabbing. Make an effort to present job descriptions clearly along with work expectations, esp on the project side, newcomers have been caught off guard. Make an effort to meet with the IT division instead of treating the group as a cost center. Unless you downsize the technology BOH and FOH you still need the employees.

Phenomenal Company

I have been working at The Cosmopolitan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They are still very young and this is challenging for individuals who are use to mature organizations; but if you like a challenge this is the place for you.

Cons

Unrealistic regarding the future

So far so good.

Current Employee - Security Agent in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Security Agent in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at The Cosmopolitan full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Managers, People you work with.

Cons

Some Politics not much though

Seems like they know whats going on. So keep doing you.

Fun place to work

Current Employee - Cashier in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Cashier in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at The Cosmopolitan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company encourages you to be different and to create memories

Cons

Very busy strip property, very busy!

hire more staff