The Cosmopolitan Reviews

Updated August 22, 2014
Updated August 22, 2014

2.8

John Unwin

Management is the downfall for this place

I have been working at The Cosmopolitan part-time

Pros

pay, pleasant coworkers, free meals, uniforms

Cons

terrible management, not flexible AT ALL

So far so good.

Current Employee - Security Agent  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Security Agent in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at The Cosmopolitan full-time for more than a year

Pros

Managers, People you work with.

Cons

Some Politics not much though

Seems like they know whats going on. So keep doing you.

Fun place to work

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Cashier in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at The Cosmopolitan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company encourages you to be different and to create memories

Cons

Very busy strip property, very busy!

hire more staff

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If there is a negative way to describe the CIO and CEO, then this would be it.

Former Employee - Information Technology  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Cosmopolitan full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent property. Employee cafe is ok.

Cons

This is the first CIO - Kris Singleton - that I had met and worked for that did not have a clue about what the reality of IT is. She doesn't have a clue about how IT should be run. IF she can become CIO, I am pretty sure someone out of college with a BS in IT can become a better CIO. Heck, someone graduating from ITT with a certification can be CIO. She doesn't understand the first rule of management. She likes to spend money on useless vendors and equipment. At the least, she should understand what her team is trying to tell her. She provides preferential treatment, manages via improper communications with staff not reporting to her. Her behavior in inappropriate. She doesn't provide people with the proper forum to discuss issues. She does not DEAL with issues, just blows them off. Listens to third party vendors who have only the vendors best interests at heart. If anything her experience as a project manager has not taught her anything about managing projects or people. It is quite unfortunate that the Cosmo invests in people who are not aware of their job functions. A lot of good folks that are always afraid about when their boss is going to axe them. The management makes up stories to get you out of there if they don't like you because everyone is always backstabbing each other. The CIO allows it to happen so, nothing less to be expected from the lower echelon. I am not sure about the other business units, but IT is NOT the place to be at the Cosmo.

Get a management team that know what they are doing and are good managers. who know how to work with people. The CEO needs to be connected. His meetings are just a bunch of ramblings and quotable quotes. Who cares about that crap if your people are not happy?

My experience at the Cosmopolitan is absolutely amazing.

Current Employee - Valet Booth Attendant  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Valet Booth Attendant in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at The Cosmopolitan part-time for less than a year

Pros

Working at the Cosmopolitan is actually an amazing experience. I love the people I work for and actually enjoy coming to work. We are treated like people, and although there are set backs in the operational aspect of work, it is to be expected. The pay is fantastic, and genuinely being happy to be at work reflects towards the guests.

Cons

There are some employees that complain constantly about every aspect of working there. They company pays for our lunch? The food's not good in their eyes, and the dollar limit on how much we can spend daily is too little which isn't true.

Stay Away!

I worked at The Cosmopolitan part-time for more than a year

Pros

The employee dining room, strong employee culture.

Cons

I was bullied and harassed daily by my immediate supervisors and fellow employees. Managers are young, inexperienced, and clueless.
    They have a point system in place that they will NOT tell you about. There was no way to find out how many points I had on my record. Managers show lots of favoritism.

Great Culture and Team Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Cosmopolitan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Culture, community, interesting work, fast-paced, variety of growth opportunities across several areas

Cons

long hours, disorganization, lack of accountability

better quality recognition and appreciation for lower level employees

The culture of Zappos and the unsteadyness of a underfunded corporation.

Former Employee - Concierge  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Concierge in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Cosmopolitan full-time for more than a year

Pros

They are independently owned. They are a young company and ripe with ideas and thirsty to do something different on the Strip. They are a breath of fresh air when getting hired, because they are not stuck in a time warp of hiring their best friends They also have personality aside from just gaming. They focus on the overall guest experience and not just casinos.

Cons

With so much to learn for an employee, it starts to feel like they are taking everything they see from Ted Talks and throwing it at the wall to see what sticks. Unfortunately, some people get fired because what sticks is just not practical. They are due to be sold to the highest bidder. So expect a lot of movement from your upper management. If you think Unwin will stick around or your top managers think again.

Great company to work for if you do what's expected of you or more

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at The Cosmopolitan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Superior internal culture. Give you a complete sense of belonging. Excellent food in the employee dining room.

Cons

A lot of young, inexperienced managers. Employees hired for personality, not necessarily for skills in their particular job.

Listen to your employees about the current status of your departments. They tend to know a lot more about what's going on than you all do.

Wish I could give a 0

I worked at The Cosmopolitan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

None. Unless you count the employee dining room. Or the look of the property. It's fun to visit but not to work at.

Cons

Forced overtime, no breaks. Little to no time off. Catty management. Lots of politics.awful uniforms. No communication. Standard operating procedures are not used

Upper management needs to provide training for middle management and needs to listen to employees.

Worked for The Cosmopolitan? Contribute to the Community!