The Creative Group

The Creative Group Reviews

Updated January 14, 2015
Updated January 14, 2015
2.9

The Creative Group Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Harold M. Messmer Jr.
Harold M. Messmer Jr.

Pros
  • I really felt they had my best interests at heart and they were there for me whenever I needed them (in 3 reviews)

• Great way to get experience in the Design field (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Anyone trying to work contracts instead of full-time will need to learn this basic fact anyway (in 6 reviews)

• I am currently making nearly half of the hourly rate I would normally charge (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Best place I have ever worked

Current Employee - Senior Digital Media Recruiter in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Digital Media Recruiter in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at The Creative Group full-time

Pros

Great place for those interested in recruiting and great place for those looking for job opportunities in marketing, creative and interactive positions in their area

Truly fast-paced environment -- every single day has flown by
    Always meeting new people
    Able to help our candidates find their next career move
    Great co-workers who are helpful and team players
    Great base salary -- the harder you work, the more money you make in compensation
    Great industry as far as recruiting and being involved in the marketing, creative and interactive fields
    Good amount of time off with paid holidays, PTO, floating holidays, etc.
    AMAZING management and leadership in my office

Cons

You can't help every single candidate that we meet with which can be disappointing

Jan 16, 2015Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience working as a staffing professional for TCG!

Decent freelance

Former Employee - Freelance Designer in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Freelance Designer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at The Creative Group

Pros

Will find you work if you'd like.

Cons

Will take a huge cut, but negotiable and understandable.

Slow to finding positions

I worked at The Creative Group

Pros

They did find me one temp position in 9 month. the position was for 11 wks.

Cons

Slow to find positions. Uses negative comments to manipulate price.

Speed up process.
    Be more posative.

Jan 8, 2015Communications Manager

We appreciate your review. We’re happy that we were able to place you, but are disappointed that you didn’t have a better experience. Often, our ability to place candidates is dependent on current ... More

Doesn't care enough about the clients doing work for them.

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Arlington, VA

I worked at The Creative Group

Pros

They were able to place me at a long-term position.

Cons

I was passed around between a few agents during my time there (due to people leaving/changing positions within the company), and I think I got lost in the shuffle. The new agents I was assigned to didn't follow up with me, and after my first position had ended, I never heard from anyone again.

Your clients are the people who are doing work for you. They should be a bigger priority!

Jan 6, 2015HR

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We’re happy that we’re able to place you, but disappointed to hear that you didn’t have a better experience with your staffing professionals. Again, thanks ... More

Senior copy and supervisor positions- pharma

Current Employee - Copy Supervisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Copy Supervisor in New York, NY

I have been working at The Creative Group part-time (more than a year)

Pros

They do call with freelance positions

Cons

They seem to be stingy with hourly. When I work for agencies directly my rate is $80-100. When I work through them the rate is $50. When I worked at one of the jobs they got for me my boss told me tcg was charging them $110/hour for my services. Does that seem like a fair split? Don't know but other firms similar to tcg that I've worked for paid me $80/hr.

Loosen the purse strings! A fairer $plit would help.

Thanks

Crap benefits - no health insurance, and no support

Current Employee - Contractor/Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Contractor/Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The Creative Group as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Helpful salary calculator on their site. Unfortunately it's salary-based and assumed for full time employees.

Cons

Lowball pay

Agents will try and lock you in to lowest pay range you ever offer, regardless of position duties and responsibilities

NO HEALTH INSURANCE. They will give a benefits card, but be warned, this is not health insurance, not counted as minimum health requirements accoding to new laws, and you will have to either get insurance on your own, or pay a fee at tax season for not having insurance.

IF you work for them, get your own personal health insurance via Covered California. When tax season comes, you don't have to pay a fine, but they do. Their business model undoubtedly counts on contractors / consultants doing this, thus pocketing tons of money for the company.

Want to use your other benefits? Good luck, you're on your own. Agents will not help you, only direct you to call a support number or direct you to a website.

Secretive about actual billing rate.

"Online training" site is stuck in the 90's with poor java-based interface

I've heard part-time to full time conversion is practically non-existent because of greedy price gouging and overhead they will charge the client.

Give your contractors / consultants an actual health insurance plan. Be more open, and less secretive.

Not interesting work

Current Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The Creative Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay
    Great training
    Fun team
    Good location

Cons

Too sales focused
    No tenure

Change recruitment method as it is outdated

Contractor for the Agency

Current Employee - Various Contract Jobs and Positions Within Companies in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at The Creative Group as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Perfect job-matching by a wonderful staff in the Denver, CO office. I'm always paired perfectly with the right company for the right position. Very satisfied.

Cons

The only con I can think of is that there are sometimes extended periods of time without work, but that's not the company's fault so much as it is the current economy.

Nov 12, 2014HR

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience working with our Denver team!

Design @ The Creative Group

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at The Creative Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Alot of Jobs posted, where always calling me asking to see if I was interested in a new position available, good communication

Cons

landed 0 of the jobs that I was shown in 2 years and eventually I have been applying for jobs and receiving now communication now.

Work harder to find contractors more work please

Selling imaginary opportunities!

I have been working at The Creative Group

Pros

At this point there are none.

Cons

I've worked with the Creative Group off and on over the years with extremely lack luster results. I had just become unemployed and decided to give it a go again. Well, needless to say, my rep has all but disappeared since signing up. No information, no assignments and no call backs. It's like a Hollywood film set. It's all for show and no substance. What's the point of all of this? If the reps get a percentage of every placement, how are they making a salary? Or Is it just by numbers of signed talent? No placement necessary.

STOP PRETENDING that you are a "creative" contracting company! It's a sham! Stop preying on the the hopes of talented, hard working artists, who in many cases have little recourse. I know this might be a difficult concept to grasp, but be HONEST! It's better to know the reality then be exploited yet again. Artist's have to deal with enough of disparaging attitudes in the business world and don't need it from you as well.

Nov 12, 2014HR

Thanks for your feedback. We do our best to match the best candidates with the job opportunities. Unfortunately, there are sometimes more applicants than open positions. We strive to be open and ... More

The Creative Group Photos