The Cruise Web

The Cruise Web Reviews

Updated May 17, 2014

The Cruise Web Founder Frans Hansen

Frans Hansen

Moving in the right direction

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Calverton, MD

ProsA relatively young company that I believe to be heading in the right direction. The executive staff and upper management believe in their business and really do care for their staff. They do a good job recognizing achievements and encouraging employees during struggles.

Managers are very accommodating when it comes to scheduling, and they make it very easy to maintain a positive work/life balance. In most cases, colleagues quickly turn into friends.

Great vacation perks. I've been on multiple FREE cruise vacations in my short tenure at the company. You have to love a job where training requires going on vacation.

Very nice office located in between DC and Baltimore. The open layout makes everyone very approachable (maybe too approachable at times).

A big "Pro" is that we work with cruise vacations, which in itself is just a very fun and interesting product. The industry's landscape is constantly changing, and I enjoy the challenge of trying to keep up with and/or ahead of those changes.

The company's culture is very casual and reinforces great values. Like any job, there are certainly very tough and stressful periods, but there are an equal number of rewarding moments. Of course, during the stressful periods, it's tempting to think that the grass is always greener elsewhere, but I'm confident in the direction of the company and believe the best is yet to come for The Cruise Web.

ConsThe salaried compensation is not as competitive as it could be, but they partly make up for this with plenty of cruise vacation perks with ample opportunities for employees and friends/family to travel for free or at extremely discounted fares.

There sometimes seems to be a sales vs non-sales attitude within the company, but the overall culture feels much more positive recently compared to 2-3 years ago. Even still, non-sales are often reminded that "it's the sales staff's commission that makes their paychecks possible." This creates an unofficial hierarchy that really shouldn't exist, as all components support and rely on each other.

The commissioned sales staff struggles with moderate turnover, and this restricts the company's overall growth. This in turn limits the career opportunities for non-sales because the company grows/shrinks with the sales floor.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage honest sales tactics and keep fostering an enthusiastic, high-energy culture. Nothing happens overnight, but this company is definitely heading in the right direction.

This is an employee facing company!

Cruise Consultant (Current Employee) Calverton, MD

ProsThe company model seems to have changed. I took a chance with this company, based off of the reviews, but I see that it is wonderful. I love the fact that you are given a free cruise when you are hired to help you see the product and how your clients feel. I also like the benefits that are offered, as well as the time in training. The training is amazing and not anywhere near what I have experienced in the past from other employers. This is an amazing company and who doesn't love an open office (windows are everywhere :) It is easy to keep yourself out of office politics because you have your own business to handle. Also management is not on your back, which is awesome. Last, you are liable to see Frans (the founder) at any time and you dont feel like you should "look busy" or "clam up" because he is around. That is awesome.

ConsThe meetings can be too much, sometimes finding a way to balance your time is hard, and you could find yourself working from home or working late quite regularly (not required, but as a salesperons you will do what you need to do)

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to do what you are doing!

I like it here!

Sales Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsBest reasons are great travel, lots of support, good amount of paid time off, tons of leads. Clearly, the company reads glassdoor because they've done some of the things in the "advice to management" section. The Sales Managers spent 6 months on the floor selling & they now offer a draw and commission pay scale. They are not afraid to ask the floor for feedback...it's good to know.

ConsIt's tough to keep up with the cruise line and cruise web policies. You get used to it though. You are busy at all times and the clients can be needy.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould like to see more product training.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work here if you can survive on working on straight commission!

Cruise Consultant (Former Employee) Calverton, MD

ProsVery nice work area. Brand new offices. Good training for the first two weeks. Ongoing training is available as well. If you love travel and the cruise industry, then this is the job for you.

ConsIf you can't survive working on straight commission, this isn't really the job for you. While you do receive a salary for the first three months or so, after that it is sink or swim. Make no mistake about it - this is hard work. They also tend to have a "churn and burn" hiring policy, where you hire a lot of people to attend paid training, but only a few survive after the first three months or so. They need to do a better job qualifying the people they are hiring. In these desperate economic times, people will apply for any job if it means a paycheck for a few months until they can figure out where they want to go next. The owner spent a lot of money for a new location, nice furniture, etc. but I think he would have been better off if he had spent more money on his existing employees by offering better bonus packages.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to focus more on retention. Your company is wasting a lot of time and money constantly hiring and firing people. Offering a small base salary could do the trick. Mid-level management is OK, but they need to be more accessible to the staff.

It's ok for entry level sales

Cruise Consultant (Current Employee) Calverton, MD

ProsLaid back environment and you can make your own schedule. That's about it.

ConsYou can get burnt out at this job very quickly. Closing percent is very low, you are lucky if you can close 4% of the leads given to you. Turnover is very high, very few make it past one year or stick around much longer beyond that.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement? What management?

Great Training and Support

Cruise Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsThere was really great training- one of the best I've had. I had initial training, then follow up training, and product updates throughout my time there. My manager sat near me and was easily accessible. Even though I asked a lot of questions, she never made me feel like I was bugging her. If she wasn't around, everyone was really nice and helpful. She was on the phones making calls and it was great to hear what to do. There were call reviews weekly to hear examples of calls and analyze them to make sure we're doing our best and getting the most from our calls.

ConsIt was hard work every day, there was no room for "coasting." It was hard to keep personal issues from impacting my work.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes all the managers were in meetings and they could get long.

Do not work here

Cruise Consultant (Former Employee) Calverton, MD

ProsTraining Salary for 8 weeks at 2500 a month, not enough to survive on in Washington D:C. area

ConsWhen you work here you are working to make the CEO, Franz Hansen Money, Period. He is working on odds that either you will sell enough cruises for him so he gets a majority of the commission. Or he can let you go because you didnt make quota. There are 20 something managers that run the place and they can be offensive and cruel to the older staff. They by the way have no experience in sales because they de-motivate most of the staff. The whole company runs in cliques.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in professional sales motivators;

Salary Low Not enough leads given Management not experienced very disorganized company

Cruise Sales Agent (Former Employee) Landover, MD

ProsPerks Free Cruises DIscounted Cruises Fam trips

ConsOwner Disconnected and Management not very approachable

Advice to Senior ManagementLet agents work form home more training better pay and more leads

You take out what you put in!

ProsAwesome work environment, lots of sales support staff, flexible hours, approchable managers and senior consultants, no sales caps, excellent training program

ConsAs mentioned in other reviews, the straight commission salary may not be for some people. However, this is definately a job where you get what you put into it. Working hard can earn you bigger paychecks, however, you have to be willing to put in the time and effort to earn your sales.

Challenging but rewarding

ProsThe pay, travel perks, people, flexible schedule. If you can sell and can work hard, you can make a lot of money here. The top people are making $160k+. The training is very good, sometimes even too much. Lots of managers, coaches and support staff. Great office too.

Cons100% Commission, although many in the company wouldn't have it any other way. Sales isn't for everyone, so some people come in thinking they are going to be a "travel agent," but this is a sales job, with no commssion cap (or bottom).

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the first year easier somehow.

Worked for The Cruise Web? Contribute to the Community!