The Cruise Web

Updated Mar 5, 2014

The Cruise Web Founder Frans Hansen

Frans Hansen

I like it here!

Sales Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Cruise Web full-time for more than a year

ProsBest reasons are great travel, lots of support, good amount of paid time off, tons of leads. Clearly, the company reads glassdoor because they've done some of the things in the "advice to management" section. The Sales Managers spent 6 months on the floor selling & they now offer a draw and commission pay scale. They are not afraid to ask the floor for feedback...it's good to know.

ConsIt's tough to keep up with the cruise line and cruise web policies. You get used to it though. You are busy at all times and the clients can be needy.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould like to see more product training.

Work here if you can survive on working on straight commission!

I worked at The Cruise Web full-time for less than a year

ProsVery nice work area. Brand new offices. Good training for the first two weeks. Ongoing training is available as well. If you love travel and the cruise industry, then this is the job for you.

ConsIf you can't survive working on straight commission, this isn't really the job for you. While you do receive a salary for the first three months or so, after that it is sink or swim. Make no mistake about it - this is hard work. They also tend to have a "churn and burn" hiring policy, where you hire a lot of people to attend paid training, but only a few survive after the first three months or so. They need to do a better job qualifying the people they are hiring. In these desperate economic times, people will apply for any job if it means a paycheck for a few months until they can figure out where they want to go next. The owner spent a lot of money for a new location, nice furniture, etc. but I think he would have been better off if he had spent more money on his existing employees by offering better bonus packages.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to focus more on retention. Your company is wasting a lot of time and money constantly hiring and firing people. Offering a small base salary could do the trick. Mid-level management is OK, but they need to be more accessible to the staff.

It's ok for entry level sales

Cruise Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Cruise Web full-time for more than a year

ProsLaid back environment and you can make your own schedule. That's about it.

ConsYou can get burnt out at this job very quickly. Closing percent is very low, you are lucky if you can close 4% of the leads given to you. Turnover is very high, very few make it past one year or stick around much longer beyond that.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement? What management?

Great Training and Support

I worked at The Cruise Web full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere was really great training- one of the best I've had. I had initial training, then follow up training, and product updates throughout my time there. My manager sat near me and was easily accessible. Even though I asked a lot of questions, she never made me feel like I was bugging her. If she wasn't around, everyone was really nice and helpful. She was on the phones making calls and it was great to hear what to do. There were call reviews weekly to hear examples of calls and analyze them to make sure we're doing our best and getting the most from our calls.

ConsIt was hard work every day, there was no room for "coasting." It was hard to keep personal issues from impacting my work.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes all the managers were in meetings and they could get long.

Do not work here

I worked at The Cruise Web full-time for more than a year

ProsTraining Salary for 8 weeks at 2500 a month, not enough to survive on in Washington D:C. area

ConsWhen you work here you are working to make the CEO, Franz Hansen Money, Period. He is working on odds that either you will sell enough cruises for him so he gets a majority of the commission. Or he can let you go because you didnt make quota. There are 20 something managers that run the place and they can be offensive and cruel to the older staff. They by the way have no experience in sales because they de-motivate most of the staff. The whole company runs in cliques.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in professional sales motivators;

Salary Low Not enough leads given Management not experienced very disorganized company

Cruise Sales Agent (Former Employee)
Landover, MD

I worked at The Cruise Web full-time for more than a year

ProsPerks Free Cruises DIscounted Cruises Fam trips

ConsOwner Disconnected and Management not very approachable

Advice to Senior ManagementLet agents work form home more training better pay and more leads

You take out what you put in!

I have been working at The Cruise Web full-time for more than a year

ProsAwesome work environment, lots of sales support staff, flexible hours, approchable managers and senior consultants, no sales caps, excellent training program

ConsAs mentioned in other reviews, the straight commission salary may not be for some people. However, this is definately a job where you get what you put into it. Working hard can earn you bigger paychecks, however, you have to be willing to put in the time and effort to earn your sales.

Challenging but rewarding

I have been working at The Cruise Web full-time

ProsThe pay, travel perks, people, flexible schedule. If you can sell and can work hard, you can make a lot of money here. The top people are making $160k+. The training is very good, sometimes even too much. Lots of managers, coaches and support staff. Great office too.

Cons100% Commission, although many in the company wouldn't have it any other way. Sales isn't for everyone, so some people come in thinking they are going to be a "travel agent," but this is a sales job, with no commssion cap (or bottom).

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the first year easier somehow.

No loyal unless you have know someone there

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at The Cruise Web full-time

ProsGreat trips great people to work with

ConsThey will only cater to people that do the most for the company. Not very loyal company. Stuck in old ways.

Go for the training, but be very careful about the committment to 100% commission

Cruise Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Cruise Web full-time for more than a year

ProsThey have a great training program for basic sales
Beautiful office

ConsManagement staff is not experienced and this shows in a lack of problem-solving between employees
Constantly changing or tweeking the rules... hard to keep up!

Advice to Senior ManagementPut your managers back on the sales floor selling the product. Cut your salaried employees by half. Change your commission structure to be more realistic. Decide if you are a call center or a personalized travel agency then go for it.

Worked for The Cruise Web? Contribute to the Community!

The Cruise Web Videos

The Cruise Web – Why Work for Us?

The Cruise Web emerged in 1994 as the life-long dream of one man to run his own business. Inspired by the launch of the first Internet browser and the World Wide Web's tremendous potential to reach consumers, Frans… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Cruise Web reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Cruise Web CEO Frans Hansen. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by The Cruise Web employees.