The Daily Targum Reviews

3.8
CEO

1. Involving and mentally fortifying

I have been working at The Daily Targum part-time

Pros

Easily a very involving and friendly atmosphere. Working with responsible, like-minded students from other fields of study offers boundless opportunities for personal and professional growth. The densely-packed office space encourages branching out to people of other departments. Very well organized and professional when the situation calls.

Cons

Leaves little time for academics and socialization, but the sense of responsibility learned from finding the balance is absolutely worth it.

2. Good hands on experience - poor space to learn the trade.

Pros

You will report on a diverse array of topics.

Cons

You'll find communication with your editor leads to little professional development.

Advice to Management

Provide workshops for your writers.

3. I was a Contributing Writer at The Daily Targum.

Former Employee - Contributing Writer in New Brunswick, NJ
    Former Employee - Contributing Writer in New Brunswick, NJ

I worked at The Daily Targum (Less than a year)

Pros

The Daily Targum is a highly-regarded college newspaper. It gives Rutgers University students the opportunity to develop skills outside the classroom. There are great opportunities to grow as both a person and a professional while working for The Daily Targum.

Cons

Since it is a student-run newspaper, one must balance working for The Daily Targum with academics and other responsibilities. I started writing for The Daily Targum early in my college career, and I found quickly I was not yet prepared. I also started writing for The Daily Targum before I took any journalism courses, and though The Daily Targum accepts any majors, I think I would have benefited from having taken some journalism courses before starting there.

Advice to Management

I have no issues with The Daily Targum itself; my issues at The Daily Targum were with myself and my lack of preparedness for the role at the time.

5. It's an average school newspaper which gives ample opportunities for students to learn from.

I worked at The Daily Targum part-time

Pros

The people are always friendly, and as a student, it's very easy to arrange a schedule that fits around classes and other activities.

Cons

It's a school newspaper with a not-so high reputation. It's definitely a place where if you put too much effort, you may or may not get rewarded for it.

6. Amazing College Experience

Former Employee - Business Manager in New Brunswick, NJ
    Former Employee - Business Manager in New Brunswick, NJ

I worked at The Daily Targum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The experience here, both in the business office, and in the publishing office, cannot be matched by anything else during undergrad. The leadership is completely flexible with your school schedule, and make accommodations for nearly anything. The alumni network is well connected in all industries, leaving many job opportunities post-grad.

Cons

The internal politics can be a little bit extreme, obviously due to the college environment. Other than this, I don't have much negative to say.

7. Assistant Editor

I have been working at The Daily Targum part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual atmosphere working with other students.

Cons

The work hours of my position highly depended on the timeliness of others. Some positions have been filled with under qualified persons simply due to lack of applicants. One position was filled by a person that was extremely unfit for the position with a terrible attitude and work ethic due to being a close friend of a previous employee.

Great times with fellow students.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ

Pros

working with your best friends experience in the industry ability to say whatever you want because you are all students bonding

Cons

Class/work balance Tiny room with one window Everyone gets sick when one person is sick No social life - long days

Advice to Management

Remember you are a student, treat everyone with respect. Have some fun. Order pizza and bring snacks. Food boosts morale.

9. Great experience, but watch out for egos

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ

Pros

It's the best way to learn about Journalism first hand at Rutgers. Being a Journalism major is one thing, but the program is not as challenging and realistic as working at a daily newspaper. At the Targum you have real deadlines, real stories, and have to work with people to get your story. Also, if you're driven, you can work your way up into some important positions that give you great experience, not to mention look great on a resume.

Cons

Since it's a college daily, management changes quite frequently, often times from semester to semester. You can have a really great EIC one semester, and then a completely incompetent, self-righteous jackass the next. The caucus is supposed to serve against the latter, but it is not full proof. Also, watch out for in office politics. Don't be naive and think it doesn't exist.

Advice to Management

Don't be too pompous. You may be running one of the best and oldest college dailies in the country, but that doesn't mean shi* if your staff doesn't respect you. You lose a lot of good writers that way, and lets be honest, good writers are hard to come by.

RSS Feed </> Embed