The Daily Targum

Updated Jan 15, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Amazing College Experience

Business Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at The Daily Targum full-time for more than a year

ProsThe experience here, both in the business office, and in the publishing office, cannot be matched by anything else during undergrad. The leadership is completely flexible with your school schedule, and make accommodations for nearly anything. The alumni network is well connected in all industries, leaving many job opportunities post-grad.

ConsThe internal politics can be a little bit extreme, obviously due to the college environment. Other than this, I don't have much negative to say.

It's an average school newspaper which gives ample opportunities for students to learn from.

I worked at The Daily Targum part-time

ProsThe people are always friendly, and as a student, it's very easy to arrange a schedule that fits around classes and other activities.

ConsIt's a school newspaper with a not-so high reputation. It's definitely a place where if you put too much effort, you may or may not get rewarded for it.

Assistant Editor

I have been working at The Daily Targum part-time for more than a year

ProsCasual atmosphere working with other students.

ConsThe work hours of my position highly depended on the timeliness of others.
Some positions have been filled with under qualified persons simply due to lack of applicants.
One position was filled by a person that was extremely unfit for the position with a terrible attitude and work ethic due to being a close friend of a previous employee.

Great times with fellow students.

I worked at The Daily Targum

Prosworking with your best friends
experience in the industry
ability to say whatever you want because you are all students
bonding

ConsClass/work balance
Tiny room with one window
Everyone gets sick when one person is sick
No social life - long days

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember you are a student, treat everyone with respect. Have some fun. Order pizza and bring snacks. Food boosts morale.

Great experience, but watch out for egos

I worked at The Daily Targum

ProsIt's the best way to learn about Journalism first hand at Rutgers. Being a Journalism major is one thing, but the program is not as challenging and realistic as working at a daily newspaper. At the Targum you have real deadlines, real stories, and have to work with people to get your story. Also, if you're driven, you can work your way up into some important positions that give you great experience, not to mention look great on a resume.

ConsSince it's a college daily, management changes quite frequently, often times from semester to semester. You can have a really great EIC one semester, and then a completely incompetent, self-righteous jackass the next. The caucus is supposed to serve against the latter, but it is not full proof. Also, watch out for in office politics. Don't be naive and think it doesn't exist.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be too pompous. You may be running one of the best and oldest college dailies in the country, but that doesn't mean shi* if your staff doesn't respect you. You lose a lot of good writers that way, and lets be honest, good writers are hard to come by.

Worked for The Daily Targum? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Daily Targum reviews and ratings. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by The Daily Targum employees.