The Davey Tree Expert Company

Updated December 11, 2014
3.2

The Davey Tree Expert Company Chairman, President & CEO Karl J. Warnke
Karl J. Warnke

Good people to work with.

Former Employee - PHC Technician
    Former Employee - PHC Technician

I worked at The Davey Tree Expert Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management is trusting and helpful, work is self directed. Large company with lots of locations for promotions or relocation.

Cons

Lots of time alone. Long hours.

go with a possitive attitude and dont act like a kid

I worked at The Davey Tree Expert Company full-time

Pros

the pay is about the same as most tree companys/ they give you what you need to do the job safely/ i was able to earn paid days off after working 130 hrs.so for every 130 hours i worked i received one paid day off..cant beat that. they take care of their equiptment.they actualy care about your life and safety,your not just a number to them. i could go on forever.

Cons

i was told when i started back that if i came back i wd not get laid off due to my experience. and one day i was blindsided with a layoff 15 min before the end of the day. me and a few other guys.he kept guys that werent half the tree man i am. i passed up a great job so i could come kack to work for davey. i chose davey over the other company because of what i wrote above here.and that job was 4 dollars moe an hour

crew leaders should not make promises they cant keep

A good place to work if you don't respect yourself

Current Employee - Arborist (Foreman, Climber, Spray Tech) in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Arborist (Foreman, Climber, Spray Tech) in Needham, MA

I have been working at The Davey Tree Expert Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I hear they like to promote from within but I personally haven't seen any evidence. If you are surrounded by the right group of people it could potentially be a good place to learn basic tree climbing skills.

Cons

The field staff is treated very poorly. Management wants you to work as many hours and days as is humanly possible without any regard for family life. My office was recently told to work the following Saturday in order to make up for the loss of hours due to the national holiday of Thanksgiving. Unrealistic financial goals are set for offices in order to make excuses for low wages, no raises, old equipment and no bonuses. Out in the field, the majority of workers are trained poorly and perform sub-par work. There is no pride amongst the work staff because everyone shows up with the attitude that it is just a job and a way to get a paycheck, which creates a bitter work environment where workers are less concerned with doing the right thing, and more concerned with "getting my hours." Tree pruning is a joke. Even though these people are trained professionals with the knowledge to do things the right way, they elect to perform hack work because it is easier and less complicated. I've actually heard someone receive instruction to cut less out of the tree because it creates less brush to clean up. I've seen cables installed incorrectly, and unnecessarily. I've also heard a salesman give a climber a hard time because he didn't feel comfortable climbing a tree covered in snow.

Set more realistic financial goals for your offices so your field staff can have the necessary time to perform quality work for clients that helps build business relationships which become more lucrative over time. The business model of performing cheap work with cheap labor doesn't present your field staff as the educated plant experts that most of them are.

Loved the company until I was promoted to management.

Current Employee - General Foreman in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - General Foreman in Detroit, MI

I have been working at The Davey Tree Expert Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good culture and values. Gives you the sense that they want to help you advance. Company encourages continuous education and provides many opportunities internally. Readily notices and willing to acknowledge the potential in their employees. Will bend over backwards for you if they like you or are grooming you for another position.

Cons

Absolutely no work/life balance. Want you to live, eat, sleep, and dream for the company. Non-Union employees didn't get much time off and the wages were at the lower end of the scale. Union employees where paid more but treated poorly. Culture encouraged an us against them environment with Union employees. High stress environment induced by unrealistic goals.

Give your field management the support that they need. Many are put in a sink or swim situation and then provided virtually no support by superiors. Also provide some standards as to what a proper work load is. Some were doing the work of three GF's and others not much at all. Need to realize that there is a reason why there is a 90 percent turn over rate with your General Foremen. The immediate supervision (the buffer between senior management and the GF's) leaves much to be desired.

Challenging work environment with a managing that always has my best interests at heart.

Current Employee - Mechanic in East Dundee, IL
    Current Employee - Mechanic in East Dundee, IL

Pros

Stock Program is awesome, Flexible Hours are available, Manager has a very caring attitude, Competitive Pay, Leader in industry, Constantly buying up our competitors.

Cons

Pay Raises are processed slowly and promises are not always held up, Morale at some offices is low due to some managers being micro managers but not always the case, Safety reinforced but employees don't always buy in.

Some offices have very low morale, raises need to be handled better, and execute actions if promises are made.

Spent the better part of 2013 looking for signs of ALB in Bethel OH

Former Employee - Inventory Arborist in Bethel, OH
    Former Employee - Inventory Arborist in Bethel, OH

I worked at The Davey Tree Expert Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They take very good care of their employees. Any safety equipment needed, barring gloves, were provided. Loved working outside all day.

Cons

I cannot think of anything worth mentioning, really.

Enjoyed working with my colleagues and the companies clients.

Former Employee - Office Manager in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Office Manager in Chantilly, VA

I worked at The Davey Tree Expert Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Dealt with many prestigious government clients. The company provided on going training. Colleagues were fun to work with.

Cons

Promotions usually meant a decrease in salary and/or relocation. Didn't feel the company motto of "Do it right, or not all" was always followed.

Learn and listen from/to the managers and field personnel of branch offices regarding system changes/promotions/consolidations. Provide support when those changes are made.

DRG. Management Out Of Touch

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, OH

I have been working at The Davey Tree Expert Company full-time

Pros

Have a flexible schedule. Friendly co-workers.

Cons

Used to be a wonderful place to work but communication has broken down over the years and Davey, who used to be about the employees is now about the money for senior management. This leaves nothing for the other employees. Health benefits are terrible for an employee owned company. Employees are expected to work over 40 hours if salary without comp time. Annual raises are very poor, 1 1/2 percent. Bonuses are poor as well and do not compensate for the hours worked over the year. Hourly pay is very low compared to responsibilities given. Job titles are changed increasing responsibilities without adequate compensation.

Out of touch with employee needs. Pay attention if your team is unhappy and maybe you will not have so much turnover. Need to be more competitive with pay.

TCOT was a Great Company, Davey is a good company

Current Employee - Plant Health Care Technician in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Plant Health Care Technician in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Davey Tree Expert Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, good hours, good people

Cons

The slashing of all TCOT benefits and perks

Get off the whole 2020 vision of being a billion dollar company before Karl Warnke retires and spend money taking care of the people who really get things done. You know, the people who ensure your care free, fat pocket, worry free retirement lives.

Davey Tree has been an excellent experience but I am now ready for something more challenging.

I have been working at The Davey Tree Expert Company

Pros

Davey Tree values high quality work, following the motto of the company founder John Davey "Do it Right or Not at All."
    There are always opportunities to work on different projects in different divisions, if you are willing to relocate.

Cons

Advancement opportunities require relocation.
    Projects are often short-term and require more than 40 hour work weeks.
    Davey Tree is only beginning to explore environmental consulting and does not have much opportunity for high-level scientific/analytic work.

Create opportunities for quality employees and recognize workers for their talents.