The Davey Tree Expert Company Reviews

The Davey Tree Expert Company Chairman, President & CEO Karl J. Warnke
Karl J. Warnke

1. good experience

I have been working at The Davey Tree Expert Company full-time

Pros

I really enjoy most of my coworkers. The experience/skills I have gained will prove useful in the future. The setting is relaxed much of the time. The work that is available is exciting.

Cons

The setting can be almost too relaxed, with sudden boosts of exciting work load. You might find yourself looking for something to do. Pay seems low.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do, but try your best to get your staff the money they deserve. Continue acknowledging hard work.

Great place if you're a hard worker.

Current Employee - Crew Member in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at The Davey Tree Expert Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of overtime, our managers genuinely care for our safety and well-being. Extension courses tied to promotion potential.

Cons

Juggle demands of bosses and customers. Hard work. As with any job, you might be the hardest worker on your crew or not... Either way, stay positive.

3. DRG Field Technician; Hopping fences is bad for your health

Former Employee - GPS Field Technician in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - GPS Field Technician in Austin, TX

I worked at The Davey Tree Expert Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Company pays for your transportation and housing. On most projects you will get your own hotel room which is awesome. It can be a very nice gig for recent graduates or anyone who is single and willing to travel . Most of the management I've worked with are laid back and are more than willing to help.

Cons

-Rain; You can't work in the rain because it will damage your equipment and on most projects management will want you to get at least 45 hours in. If there's a big rainstorm on Friday and you have plans on Saturday but don't have your 45 hours in, it sucks to be you- you're working on Saturday. -Travel..yes this is in the job description but It gets old really fast. More importantly, If you're not into travel do not expect this to be a career. The Project Managers seem to travel even more than the low level techs. -The field coordinator positions are worse than the entry level field tech. You're pretty much just sitting in your truck, driving around all day, and making edits on your computer. Might as well take an office job. And on top of that. If a Tech was too lazy or scared to jump a fence, cross a river, make contact with a restricted area etc. It becomes your responsibility. Here's the Biggie though; On most projects you'll be sent out into some very rural areas. Wherever electricity goes, you go. This can put your life in jeopardy. I had two guns pulled on me out in Texas (one in the face) and I had the police called on me a couple of times. Is it legal? Ehh probably, but who really knows. I was just happy to get out of there alive. If you're former military, police officer or something along those lines you'd probably be fine. But if you're a softy like me it can get miserable real fast.

Advice to Management

This is a tough job and there's not many ways to make it easier. A more professional vest with our names on it or some kind of ID we can display on our person would be huge. I am surprised that no one has got shot yet. There are some real nut jobs out there.

Professional Service

Former Employee - Trimmer in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Trimmer in Boise, ID

I worked at The Davey Tree Expert Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very professional work and attitude towards employees and customers. Very thorough work and makes sure job sites and work environment is always safe.

Cons

Nothing that I can think of here

Utility Surveyor

Pros

Decent pay, Overtime, traveling, per diem after 6hrs of working.

Cons

Informed last minute about project changes; many times I got 2 days notice that I had to pack up all my things and move to another city. Crew-Supervisor was only such because everyone else left before their second year

7. Accounts Payable

I worked at The Davey Tree Expert Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

employee owned company, nice managers

Cons

health insurance premiums were high

8. two year apprenticeship to reach journeyman level

I have been working at The Davey Tree Expert Company full-time

Pros

Learn a valuable skilled trade

Cons

The production manager is a giant tool

Advice to Management

Learn to come up with a better game plan when handing out the job assisgnments

GPS Technician

I worked at The Davey Tree Expert Company full-time

Pros

The company pays for everything, managers are helpful, smart, and reward hard work. Large company that trusts you to work on your own the majority of the time

Cons

Staying every night in a hotel and moving from town to town gets old. I got tired of that faster than I thought I wokld

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, and continue to support your guys in the field. I appreciated all the managers I worked under and wanted to work harder for them.

10. Nice Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

They pay very well and give you a lot of hours. The boss is nice and easy to go to with questions or comments.

Cons

They don't work around your schedule a lot but they do give a lot of hours, even though there are other people to take the shift.

11. Davey Tree

Pros

Great opportunities to move up in management

Cons

Some mixed messages from middle and upper management

RSS Feed </> Embed