The Daytona Beach News Journal

Updated March 13, 2015
8 reviews filtered by
1.6
CEO

1. If newspapers are a sinking ship, The News-Journal is just another passenger trying to sell life preservers.

I have been working at The Daytona Beach News Journal

Pros

Decent size newspaper. Good springboard to other opportunities. Staff generally supportive and friendly.

Cons

No raises - ever. Benefits and staff irreversibly shrinking. Pervasive feeling of pessimism and increasing feeling of hopelessness. It's not a good industry to be in, and this paper is only treading water.

Be more forthcoming with changes, good or bad, staffing and otherwise. It shows professional respect when you acknowledge difficulties and seek employee input to combat them. It shows the opposite when all decision-making is secret and only the results are shared.

2. How can life change in two months... It's called Gatehouse or should I say Hellhouse.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Daytona Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Daytona Beach, FL

I have been working at The Daytona Beach News Journal

Pros

We lost all of our pro's in the last few weeks with work loads being tripled and the fear of more job loss. It truly is a sad state of affairs in Daytona Beach

Cons

Where do I start.... Major layoffs mean major work loads with constant threats of more rounds of layoffs looming. Being assured by management saying "We are good for now, but no one has a crystal ball" is making everyone jump ship. I feel sorry for all of the employees that recently lost their jobs, And I feel sorry for our loyal advertisers and subscribers. We will survive, however, and we have been told to buck up, get over it and that it is a new day, one that I am sure Michael Redding knew was coming. Maybe he can help all of the employees that have lost their job with their home payments with the $280 Million that he got in the deal. No raises for over 10 years and people working for a little more than minimum wage. And now with 1/4 of the staff. Seriously Gatehouse, this isn't a third world company sweat shop. It s ust very sad.

Have some compassion and give your employees some hope for the future without fear and sadness. You will reap the benefit.

3. Only work there if you're desperate!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Daytona Beach, FL

I worked at The Daytona Beach News Journal full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

No pros to working for this place!

Cons

Pay one dollar over min.wage expects machines.

Think for yourself don't listen to the (CEO) he will cut your throat !

5. Epitome of corporate culture

I worked at The Daytona Beach News Journal full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Thanks to Human Resources involvement, offers decent benefits package. Company contributions minimal.

Cons

No longer a newspaper, now a micromanaged business journal,

Find more creative ways to boost revenue, rather than merely cutting staff.

6. Career stifling with more drama than opportunity! So underhanded and unethical it makes politicians look like saints!

Former Employee - Advertising Representative in Daytona Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Advertising Representative in Daytona Beach, FL

I worked at The Daytona Beach News Journal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The customers. If their are any left that aren't bitter over being sold things they don't need for a rep to meet their goal.

Cons

horrible work culture, management and staff are undertrained and stuck in "print", cheat you out of commissions, ill advise clients for money!

Replace most of them. Get them REALLY web trained and pout of the 80's.Require a degree maybe in a RELEVANT field. Address your sexual harassment issues (and inter-office affairs) and require AD Director to report issues brought to him. You lose real talent because their not willing to deal with the issues you've allowed to go on.

7. Immediate supervisor gives colleagues freedom, senior management micromanage.

I worked at The Daytona Beach News Journal

Pros

Depends on your supervisor and the job duties you have.

Cons

Upper management incompetent and unresponsive to staffers' concerns.

Hire competent managers.

Life's too short

Current Employee - Reporter
    Current Employee - Reporter

I have been working at The Daytona Beach News Journal full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There's no good reason to work here now. Current staff that was here prior to the new company are knowledgeable and helpful but rarely allowed to shine.

Cons

Abusive work environment. Editor that has no news sense and insists on micro managing rather than trusting his employees. No training, lots of promises and no follow through.

Remove current editor and let your award winning talent show you how it's done.

9. Great HARD WORKING people, like family, Management leaves much to be desired,

I worked at The Daytona Beach News Journal

Pros

Wonderful people to work with, felt like a family, great location. Excellent for sales personnel, opportunities abound if you are a great salesperson, people person!

Cons

Training procedures need help. In much of the systems little or no training is provided to you. The personnel department is not a true HR setup. This may have changed. They need a person there to help employees in training and in working together as a team, No only the salespeople but the administrative staff also.

If managment would offer more positive feedback to it's employees they would get 110% work effort from the employees, There was not enough positive reinforcement for administrative personnel. they are too rigid.