The Designory

The Designory Reviews

Updated February 16, 2015
Updated February 16, 2015

Paul Hosea

It was ok with Designory for over seven years, until I got fired because of my health issues

Former Employee - Engineer, Technology in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer, Technology in Long Beach, CA

I worked at The Designory full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There was a good sense of camaraderie among employees. There were many team-building events to participate in. The variety of work available to an engineer kept things fresh. I would add culture and values here, but only if you are in perfect health.

Cons

I have multiple sclerosis and suffer from depression, but was able to perform my job. I got fired after 7 years, no help or accommodation for my issues was offered. Management felt that it was easier to just get rid of an employee with issues than to try to help the employee overcome those obstacles.

Try to help employees with health problems, instead of firing them. Actually do annual reviews, I think I had 3 reviews in over 7 years there.

Great place to freelance

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Long Beach, CA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at The Designory as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

There is a very casual culture to this agency and people do not seem particularly up-tight. Unlike a lot of other agencies, work reviews do not feel like a deeming judgmental process (based on experience with a variety of directors and accounts people) which is sort of special since it builds a non-hierarchical relationship across ranks and specialties.

Cons

It's nice to feel like everyone is pitching in together without oppressive political hierarchy but it can be hard to stay inspired without a shining leader to rally behind. From what I've seen, the agency is missing a star director whose passion is contagious and whose ideas inspire the kind of whiz-bang creativity that makes a campaign stand apart. This agency is pleasant to work with and it makes quality advertising but I like to feel like I'm part of a genius moment every once in a while.

If you're excited about the journey, don't be afraid to pilot the ship.

Don't Work Here

I have been working at The Designory

Pros

They offer medical insurance but there is Obama care these days...

Cons

air conditioning never works, senior management is too busy with internal fighting and politics to offer leadership or care about keeping clients

Pay attention to what is happening at the company

Overall, good experience.

I worked at The Designory full-time

Pros

The people. Work hard, play hard. If you take an active role in managing your career, you will do well. Fun environment with a liberal spirit of endeavor.

Cons

Disconnected senior management mostly because of a heavy handed holding company. Lack of long term vision for the direction of the company with regard to employees. Heavy levels of work effort required - similar to most ad agencies today.

Establish a vision; treat people like they matter - they will rise to the occasion.

Good starting point for interns or recent grads

Former Employee - Software Development in Long Beach, CA

I worked at The Designory full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The work is legit and it's a good place to get some experience under your belt.

Cons

Long hours, low pay, raises and promotions based on personal popularity rather than skill. Not a very interesting or diverse portfolio. I wouldn't put in more than a year here.

great culture but low pay

Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at The Designory full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great work environment and culture.

Cons

No room for advancement and low salaries.

An OK company to work for but don't ever expect a raise

Former Employee - Software Development in Long Beach, CA

I worked at The Designory full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Casual environment, great break-room, some people that work there are fantsatic. There are some good clients, and as long as you get your work done on time, you are not likely to receive much hassle. It is located in the best part of downtown Long Beach- near Pine by all the restaurants and the Pike. In the breakroom, you have 3 big screen TVs, DirecTV, Playstation, Wii and XBox. However, don't think of playing those things- only the maintenance man doesn't get stink-eye for playing games on company time. There is a nice private patio to relax and have events in. On your birthday, they like to give free movie tickets. Some of the nicest people in the world, especially in HR.

Cons

You are not likely to get promoted unless A. You look like a model B. You are friends with upper management C. There is no one else to promote and they can't find anyone from outside D. You are a Yes Man. But the worst part is- you are not likely to get a raise, EVER unless you get promoted (see above). Whatever salary you were hired at will likely be your salary forever. Unless you are buddies with upper management, you are just a number and they will lay you off at the drop of a hat if it saves them a penny- they just don't care about you. On the other hand you will win awards if you kiss a lot of butt- even if you are a total moron. Management is on an upper floor and rarely comes down from on-high to visit the 'little people' (the people who do the actual work at the company) in the giant cube-farm.

Although it is in a fairly good location of Long Beach, it is still ghetto and scummy. Walking out of the building you are likely to get beset by homeless and low-class citizens asking you for a cigarette or a dollar, every single time. Bums sleep on the benches outside the building and I have seen human feces on the sidewalk and I'm only mentioning a few things- nevermind the rats in the building (hopefully they are all gone now).

You can't keep good talent if you don't give raises. All you will be left with is the people who aren't ambitious. Giving awards to the maintenance man every year is disheartening to those who actually make millions of dollars for the company- who are usually completely ignored for their contributions.

If you like cars, this is the place for you.

I have been working at The Designory full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A lot of great work comes out of the building. Mostly print, but we're expanding into digital so there are opportunities.

Cons

There is very little turn-around, and you may think that's a good thing, but a lot of people are in the agency for 15-20 years, it starts to hinder creativity.

Pay people what they're worth.

great quality work, but employees not valued

I worked at The Designory full-time

Pros

Every bit of work that comes out of the designory is top notch. They overpromise and then overdeliver. There is a strong work ethic, and a sense of ownership of projects that keeps employees excited about what they're doing. a great group of people and a strong sense of comraderie. A good place to grow your portfolio with quality work.

Cons

Negotiate your salary and benefits up front. The company will definitely give you opportunities to grow and take on more responsibilities,. But paying you for them, or giving you the title is another story.

Management is tight fisted, rarely giving raises unless you're walking out the door. Schmoozers and self-promoters tend to win favor with Upper Management, while committed workers are seen as expendable. Too many Directors.

A unique niche in the auto industry for powerful storytelling opportunities with room for growth and potential.

Current Employee - Art Director in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Art Director in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at The Designory full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Its at a good place for growth right now, at this moment. It's solid work that can win a lot of awards, and has secured a place in the design world that not too many agencies can claim. Upper management KNOWS how to treat their employees, whether its weekly socials (gatherings with food and drinks), summer days (free days off), travel perks, proximity to downtown, and good balance of culture (young-to-old, minorities-to-majorities, male-to-female, etc.). For a corporation, its pretty laid-back, easy on the micro-management, autonomous work-flow, and free reign of creative ideas. Anyone can contribute to anything, and there is no pretentious attitude (at least, not obviously). Once you are melded into the environment, it will be easy-going.

Cons

It's not a very savvy culture, in relation to other creative agencies. The design work and education is "okay" in certain respects, but there's so much potential with the amount of talent in each team. Some of the jaded, long-term crowd can be complacent and lazy. Also, team-work is awesome, but it can get high-school "clique"-like, shying away from other teams on a regular basis.

Less gossip, more empathy.