The Distinctive Edge

Updated Apr 1, 2014

The Distinctive Edge Owner Eric Chapman

Eric Chapman

Growth

Pros1. You will learn how to do sales which only improves every area of your life.

2. You learn how to interview and assess talent, which is a two-fold skill for learning how to hire the right people and how to maximize any future interviews that you might have.

3. You learn how to train others by teaching new team members what you have learned

4. You learn how to manage and lead a team of 10+ people.

5. You learn to become comfortable with being uncomfortable.

6. Make long lasting relationships.

7. Opportunity to travel

Cons1. Long hours. 9 hours per day M-F and 6 hours on Saturday. That is 51 hours and as you build a team you will easily start working close to, if not more than, 70 hours a week. This is a negative if you don't buy into the idea of paying now and playing later in life.

2. 100% Commission. No overtime. No salary when not making sales. Easy system to use to earn sales and to teach. Negative if you have a poor work ethic and lack confidence.

3. No medical benefits until you reach management level.

4. No reimbursement for gas or mileage as you use your own vehicle for travel.

5. Time off for anything other then emergencies is highly frowned upon.

Outstanding Company with Community Involvement

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lutherville Timonium, MD

ProsThis company genuinely cares about its employees as well as the community. Charity work is a huge passion of mine and this company does a lot of it. Last year The Distinctive Edge raised over $5,000 for Operation Smile, as well as doing other charities in the local community. They do this through various, fun, events that they host and get everyone's friends and families involved.

The Distinctive Edge offers hands on and classroom training. The training is a constant development of yourself, professionally and personally. There is a lot of one on one training and anytime anyone needs help, someone is there to lend a hand. They promote from within so the training is always focused on getting someone to the next promotion.

The office culture, although a lot of fun, is most certainly the best way to learn by doing drills, practicing, and implementing new strategies to perform at a higher level.

This firm has extremely high standards, which makes anyone proud to work there.

The Distinctive Edge encourages change. Management loves new ideas and encourages the employees to be innovative and creative.

ConsThe constant training will show your weaknesses. However, the company is there to help work on them and develop the skills needed to reach the next promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue training for leadership roles in the company. The library of books offered at no cost to read is a great perk. Stay as involved as you are and the company growth goals will most certainly happen.

Great Entry Level Job with Advancement

Pros-Great company where you can network and meet a lot of new people
    -Very supportive atmosphere, people help each other succeed
    -The work challenges yourself, but gives you the chance to grow both professionally and personally
    -Great opportunity to learn and gain experience
    -fun environment
    -the company seems to be growing

Cons-not a 9-5 job
    -performance based

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Such A Dissapointment

Leadership (Field Representative ) (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsYou get to meet many people from all facets of life.

ConsNo work life balance. You work 6 days 12 hours a day.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with your new hire and you current leaders, don't feed them dream that will not come true.

A great place to work for people who hold themselves to high expectations

Account Representative (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

Pros- Fun yet professional work environment
    - Interactive teaching, training, and mentoring programs
    - Ability to work with Fortune 100 clients
    - Involved in community, as well as philanthropy
    - Travel options across the country, as well as the Northeast.
    - Challenging and performance based reward system
    - Fast paced advancement with lots of growth opportunity
    - Ability to work with like-minded people who hold themselves to a higher expectation

Cons- I cannot think of any con's.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. Great training programs and mentoring networks both inside and outside of the office.

Great Internship Experience if you care about personal development

Account Executive (Former Employee) Lutherville Timonium, MD

ProsTraining, mentoring opportunities, and team atmosphere. I learned a lot about my own career goals, how to effectively manage my time and energy, and how to interact with clients to the best of my ability. Plenty of Opportunity

Cons100% commission after your first week, and there is a sink or swim atmosphere. Often, the sales territories were over-worked, and there were a lack of qualified leads. Not a pyramid scheme, and they say its not "multi-level" but it really is. You have to have a certain amount of people on your "team" to get promoted, and once your team gets certain sales numbers, you can become a manager. No one gets fired, but if you aren't making any money, you'll probably quit.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue teaching, focus on continuous training rather than training people as fast as possible and having them train new people right away. Be

Rightfully competitive yet unnecessarily clannish

Leader (Former Employee) Timonium, MD

ProsI must say that the experience handling relevant issues and obstacles in sales is a great plus. The training received is valuable. The commissionable sales side of things is very reasonable and beneficial to the person looking to build value in themselves. People with bad attitudes usually claim commission is too risky for them; I never understood that.

ConsWhat I do not appreciate is the constant drilling of big picture goals however the company has a cliquish response to people who seem different from management or the top leaders. Being unique and from a non-frat boy or girl tier of society works against your progress and the quality of the coaching you receive as leader working towards ownership

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace social differences. This company is designed to serve those in entry-level. If diversity and building confidence in others is not part of the program the growth will not be strong. This is my observation for almost an entire year.

Team environment with lots of opportunity for growth!

Recruiter/Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) Timonium, MD

ProsThere are a lot of pros to working at The Distinctive Edge.
    - Travel opportunity. I've been to many new places with this position
    - Growth and advancement. If you work hard, you are rewarded with promotions and bonuses
    - Networking with amazing people
    - Managers treat you like a partner
    - Personal and professional growth
    - Constant training in new areas
    - Charity events with several different charities in the community
    - Promotes a Team environment (Win - Win mentality)
    - Offers a challenge

ConsThe hours can be long sometimes, but again, if you work hard, you are rewarded.

Amazing people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people at the company are simply AMAZING. Friendly willing to help great training.

ConsYou have to do door to door sales.
    Long hours no real time for a real life
    Strictly commission.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys do a great job, just don't only to commission.

Fun Goal Oriented Environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe fun people and ambitious employees

ConsNot everyone has an entrepreneurial mindset.

Worked for The Distinctive Edge? Contribute to the Community!