The Dominion Country Club

The Dominion Country Club Reviews

3.5

Erin Dougherty
1 Rating

Laid back environment, flexible scheduling

I have been working at The Dominion Country Club

Pros

Very flexible with scheduling, great coworkers who are always willing to help, beautiful golf course

Cons

amount of money made is extremely dependent on weather

Beautiful on the outside, ugly where it counts.

Former Employee - Banquet Server in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Banquet Server in San Antonio, TX

I worked at The Dominion Country Club full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved the people I worked with. I also loved driving the golf course in the Bev Cart, surrounded by an amazing landscape of nature and million dollar homes.

Cons

But the 17 hour shifts, the lack of equipment (none) provided for moving heavy banquet setups every shift, the uniform of black polyester slacks, matching jacket, and long sleeved shirt that we were required to wear inside and outside, regardless of the temperature; working every holiday, and most of all the lack of any type of raise, or bonus, after 2 1/2 years of full-time employment, just made it impossible to stay.

Do whatever you have to do to ensure that all banquet staff gets the moving and storage equipment so desperately needed; regular (every 6 months) evaluations; raises every year with an additional bonus for long-timers. No matter what. Also, a sit down meeting with all the banquet servers before each service to review what is expected that shift is needed. Last but not least, get new uniforms that don't make the country club look cheap. :-)

like taking a brutal beating every day.

Former Employee - Head Mechanic/Golf Course Equipment Manager in San Antonio, TX

I worked at The Dominion Country Club full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

management is pleasant and attentive.

Cons

extra hard work,extra long hours,expensive health insurance.

share the wealth

Good old boys club

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at The Dominion Country Club

Pros

Once you have been there for a 3 or 4 months, the members start to tip. When you leave, they give you a big tip if you are good at what you do.

Cons

When you start out, it's tough to get any sort of tip. Also, reset work can be a daunting task. Not all the staff pulls their weight equally.

Management has probably changed since I left in 2010 but it would be simply be to hire more people to do reset, perhaps even a reset staff. Also, make sure that each employee is doing what they are responsible for. A bartender shouldn't have to hop out from behind the bar every night and wait tables so people have to wait for drinks. Like, I said, it could have changed, it's been a while since I worked there.

A restaurant that recognizes hard work and responsibility

Former Employee - Waiter
    Former Employee - Waiter

I worked at The Dominion Country Club

Pros

the connections from members / management that belong to the club
    the availability for promotion
    the flexible hours
    most all of management is competent and understands what is happening

Cons

The only downside of a private country club is some of the members. A few expect a 5 star restaurant / facility and have no problem complaining until they drop. Many servers have been brought to tears by a few select members.

Management: watch out for the bad members. You know who they are, we know who they are. Protect the servers when you can. Most days are good but some days are just bad.