The Dreyfus Corporation

The Dreyfus Corporation Reviews

Updated Jan 27, 2014

Jon Baum

Operations Manager

Operations Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at The Dreyfus Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood Benefits
Good Hours
Good Vacation Time

ConsThere is no downside to working at Dreyfus.

Client Specialist

Client Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at The Dreyfus Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsExcellent training program. You really need not tolerate the micromanaging for more than 2 years. Add it to your resume and move on.

ConsOutdated culture. Potential to inch up through the company over a span of several years. HIGHLY micromanaged. No real autonomy. Opportunity to speak freely and give real opinions is not welcomed. Very political. If you have an active mind are a natural problem solver you will be walking on egg shells. Mid-level management will do anything to keep you down.

Better before the merger...

Vice President, Marketing (Former Employee)

I worked at The Dreyfus Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDreyfus had a great boutique company feel prior to the being acquired by Mellon, little of which remained by the time BNY and Mellon merged.

ConsDreyfus business marginalized by merger. Too many chiefs, not enough indians. Many good people left. Lot's of "dead wood" remain.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't get hampered by parent company initiatives. Towing the corporate line will damage your the Dreyfus brand identity.

Great place to start, not really for the long term.

Retail Service Worker (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Dreyfus Corporation

ProsBenefits & Industry experience. Great training program for the first 6 months. The training program here is phenomenal, you will learn everything you need to know about bank procedures, investments, trusts, legal matters, etc. It is as if you are a paralegal, banker, broker, compliance and operations specialist rolled into one. Sponsorship for Series 6 and Series 63 within the first few months, and if you do well, after a year or so they might sponsor you for your Series 7. You will not get better initial training anywhere else. The vast majority of your coworkers are great people, and really care about you succeeding in business as well as in life.

ConsObsolete machines and computer programs. Micromanagement of every issue. It's like the movie "Office Space". If you mess up, you will have 10 people telling you that you have messed up, or asking you if you got the "TPS reports". Very outdated procedures that inconvenience our shareholders. Very little recognition/promotion for your accomplishments, so even if you outperform at your position, you are required to work this job for at least 18 months. Very little specialization, so you are relegated to being a jack of all trades, but you won't be paid for it. You are in essence doing multiple jobs for one salary. Entrenched staff, many people have been there for decades and are unwilling or unable to change. Likewise, because of the long tenure of the staff, promotions or change from within rarely, if ever come to fruition. I have seen people who are deserving of executive positions, relegated to supervisory or secretarial roles just because of tenure. It is as if you are working a union job in terms of seniority ruling, without the pay or benefits. Expenses on our mutual funds are incredibly high, and make it very difficult to compete with the Fidelity, Vanguards & T Rowe Prices of the world.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a management training program, otherwise you will lose your best educated/most driven employees to your competitors. Every other mutual fund company has something to offer promising college graduates or employees, except Dreyfus. Likewise, lower your fund expenses to make our products more competitive. No one likes to hear that their fund is 4 times as expensive as the competitors. The procedures/computer systems need to be improved to make for a better customer experience. There is a lot of counterproductive redundancy (including grossly overpaid employees) that can/should be removed. From what I hear, I think Jon Baum (current CEO) is doing a great job, but that he is tethered to an obsolete dinosaur.

2 thumbs down

Fund Accountant (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Dreyfus Corporation

Prosthe people are all nice to work with

Consno growth whatsoever, its a joke when they talk about career development , they want you to be a super employee capable of doing everything and take this job seriously when its a dead end job, no raises, no bonus, no nothing, i found it extremely laughable when they want you to be this model employee capable of everything, but still pay u entry level salary, they have all these useless tests that are just annoying and when they set up goals and stuff for you its stupid, helloooo how bout developing my salary ????, machines are all old n always broken, ppl leave, yet they do nothing, they dont replace ppl who leave, just pile more work for others, even with the $ they save they do nothing, my advice : avoid this company, unless your looking to break into the industry and gain some experience.....you'd be better off starting at another company, a company who treats you better.....

Advice to Senior Managementgive a dam raise! jesus, not a 1% raise on a entry level salary, what a joke

At least I have a job in a poor environment

I have been working at The Dreyfus Corporation

ProsExposure to larger parent organization - Bank of New York.
Exposure to mutual fund business / world

ConsManager does one thing and will not allow employees to do the same
lack of support by direct management

Advice to Senior ManagementHelpful if management treated employees fairly and allowed them to follow the sames rules that the department mangers followed

Intern review

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at The Dreyfus Corporation

ProsGood work hours, good location, large company (part of BNY Mellon)

ConsLack of prestige, no hiring from the intern program

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more feedback to interns

Review

I have been working at The Dreyfus Corporation

ProsGreat laid back environment, great benefits, very nice and friendly people

ConsNot much growth opportunity, the salary is very low not even close to the market's salary, the office equipment we use are very outdated. The pay raises are very minimal if any.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe salary should be more in line with the industry, there should be more growth opportunities, there should be more chances to cross-train

Worked for The Dreyfus Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Dreyfus Corporation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Dreyfus Corporation CEO Jon Baum. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by The Dreyfus Corporation employees.