The Earl of Sandwich

1.8

CEO

Great Company to work for

I have been working at The Earl of Sandwich

Pros

Great hours, good leadership, benefits, fun atmosphere, good management team

Cons

Staffing hourly positions in a casino environment is challenging

Good job

Disorganized, unprofessional, and frustrating

I have been working at The Earl of Sandwich

Pros

The uniforms are pretty cool.

Cons

The GM is like a black hole of information, things are never in the same place for more than a day, it's very disorganized, schedules are made at the absolute last minute and there are no repercussions for people who just don't show up for their shifts. People quit on a weekly basis. Been here for 5 months, and my direct deposit that I applied for when I was first hired still hasn't been activated. So I have to pick up my check every other week. Cashiers are given 2 hour shifts, the GM gives you a schedule to meet labor laws, and then changes them at the last second by texting you. It's awful.

get a new GM

Disorganized and rushed.

Former Employee - Team Member in Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - Team Member in Anaheim, CA

I worked at The Earl of Sandwich part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good seasonal job if you're willing to simply do any kind of work coming out of high school. Other than that, it's really not worth a job applying for unless you REALLY need one.

Cons

Everything. The management is terrible. They are horribly disorganized, sometimes not even giving you the schedule until the beginning of the next work week. They randomly call for people to replace shifts, leaving you basically on call. It's like all the terrible things of being a doctor without any of the good. You're treated as a cog in a machine; you are replaceable and minuscule.

Treat your workers with much more respect. Be much more understanding of schedule conflicts, especially when you are the ones responsible for the mistakes. Also, schedule at least two weeks at a time. It is ridiculous that you expect people to show up to shifts they are completely unaware about until it is too late.

Completely Awful.

Current Employee - Team Member
    Current Employee - Team Member

I have been working at The Earl of Sandwich part-time (less than a year)

Pros

They're very good at accepting that you have other responsibilities. The culture is fantastic: this is one of the few companies that will never have anything to say about your race, sexual orientation, gender (whether or not that gender matches your sex!), or origin. Everyone is very friendly and treats each other like family. You get a flat 50% discount on your food, often resulting in a lunch time meal that is less than $5, one that is surprisingly filling.

Cons

Though very good at accepting that you have other responsibilities, they're very bad at remembering them. Prepare to try frantically to switch your shift with someone even though you specifically told your manager well in advance that you could not come in that day. Prepare also to occasionally work 2-6 hours later than you were scheduled, or be sent home 1-3 hours earlier than you were scheduled.

If you are a delivery driver, hang on to that minimum wage as tight as you can, because the excessive delivery fees ($1 per sandwich, wrap, or salad? No one wants to order ten sandwiches and pay $10 in delivery fees, sorry) will result in you getting very few orders, and therefore very little in tips.

If you are a line person, make very good friends with your coworkers, because you guys are going to barter shifts like trading cards. Even such recurring commitments as college classes are often forgotten/ignored when your schedule is composed, and you're going to need to know who is that guy who always needs hours, so you can talk him into taking YOUR shift so you can go take your final.

Get it together. Either don't hire people with a second (or third) job, or actually schedule around the other job. Your upper management is choking your lower management. Lower your delivery fees if you want your delivery program to actually go anywhere.

I don't even know what's happening!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anaheim, CA

I worked at The Earl of Sandwich part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Discounted meals is about the only good thing

Cons

Managers do not communicate with employees
    - I did not know how to check my schedule (then got reprimanded when I was scheduled and was unaware)
    -Did not receive a paycheck for weeks after working
    - Did not know my salary
    - Did not receive my ID (which allows me to get into the break room/ park in the employee parking lot)

Get your stuff together.

It wasn't what I expected

Former Employee - Worker in Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - Worker in Anaheim, CA

I worked at The Earl of Sandwich full-time (less than a year)

Pros

the sandwiches are the best thing about earls

Cons

how they run things. its a zoo

Unprofessional, Disorganized, Unsanitary, Flexible Scheduling

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at The Earl of Sandwich part-time (less than a year)

Pros

They will work with you if you need a flexible schedule for school or another REAL job. If made correctly the sandwich is amazing.

Cons

1- the restaurant is not as clean as you would like or it may seem. Ive worked in this industry for 10+yrs and am completely disgusted by the lack of sanitation and food handling at this place. The health inspector came and I got excited thinking he would point out the problems, NOPE. He walked to the back of the store for 5 min then sat in the corner for 45 MINUTES!! I The food is not kept to temp and cross contamination is COMMON. If you have any serious allergies, DO NOT EAT HERE!
    2- the managers. where to begin? people just get promoted if they've been with the company for longer than a yr it seems. they have no management training, unprofessional, LIARS, they will steal your tips so do not make any delivers especially in your car. if there is any conflict between employees don't expect management to help because whatever they say wont get done anyway (not even through HR). While I have not personally been involved I see daily bullying of employees because a manager would be overwhelmed. The worst part is they will do this in front of guests also. Ive had a guest come to me and ask "What did he do that was so bad? Did you hear that? Is that how she talks to everyone?". lack of management experience also makes them harder on employees for little things, like taking anger out on employees because they forgot to order turkey....
    3- team members pretty much do what they want. if that appeals to you consider when you want to clock out to go home and no one will authorize it so you cant, or you order food but you see everyone talking and walking past your order on the screen, you come in to eat and their is garbage all over the kitchen floor and on the counters where they are making your sandwich. YUCK! be cautious of coworkers with attitudes and are spiteful enough to sabotage your work shift. yes i've seen people get fired because of another co-workers lies. its sad because their is not chance at establishing work here. get in, get out then go home.

Seems like the entire company is winging it.

RETRAIN EVERYONE. If you do not tell your employees what their job is and how you want it done, how do you expect them to complete the task? Also if you do this and they still are incapable of doing the job, fire them and find someone who can and wants to do the job.

Managers absolutely disrespectful, rude, and very unprofessional.

Former Employee - Cashier in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Orlando, FL

I worked at The Earl of Sandwich part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The only pro about this company is that in the headquarters restaurant in Orlando, there were good hours and flexible to those who were attending high school and college. That's it.

Cons

Supervisors are very unprofessional. In my experience, a supervisor told me to Shut the f**k up while I was calmly sticking up for another employee during my break time. I explained to the GM what happened, they said they would take care of it, but never did. Absolutely horrible treatment to the employees, and verbal profanity constantly used (including around guests). Most definitely not worth it.

When hiring supervisors to your HEADQUARTERS restaurant of the country, make sure they are professional and kind to their employees, not cursing up a storm all the time and downgrading the employees.