The Endocrine Society

3.3

William F. Young, Jr

Optimistic about the future

I have been working at The Endocrine Society full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great location in downtown DC. New female CEO with fresh ideas and energy - last CEO was a crochety old guy. Telecommuting option. Decent salaries and (some) room for upward movement. Every office has challenges, but overall I've enjoyed working here.

Cons

Historically there hasn't been a lot of information sharing between departments, so the silos were (and are) an issue. I think the new CEO will help to clear out that mindset.

Listen to staff. Ask them for ideas, and not only from people in your own department.

Great Company!

Former Employee - Web  in  Chevy Chase, MD
    Former Employee - Web in Chevy Chase, MD

I worked at The Endocrine Society full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits. Great co-workers. Reasonable bosses.

Cons

Lack of upward mobility.
    Their budget.
    Getting meaningful advice.

Please be upfront about your budget to your employees.

Good place to work

I have been working at The Endocrine Society full-time

Pros

Good staff, decent salaries, very busy for a nonprofit. Good upper management. Casual summer dress code.

Cons

Middle of nowhere location in Chevy Chase (but we're moving downtown!)

Work hard to keep good people, slow down a little bit sometime. Downtime can be a good thing.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Dysfunctional Work Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chevy Chase, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chevy Chase, MD

I have been working at The Endocrine Society full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Most of the staff is pretty nice and are very good at their jobs. The salaries are fairly competitive and is certainly the ONLY reason to consider working here.

Cons

Many of those in upper management are more concerned for their own departments rather than in the mission of the society or the benefit of the members. Too much infighting among departments to the point that nothing gets done. Upper management in an ivory tower. See a LOT of unhappy people here, esp. in the admin/support roles. Really bizarre work environment. I'm only here because I have kids otherwise I would be long gone.

Pointless. They never make mistakes.

A Great Place to work

Current Employee - Coordinator  in  Chevy Chase, MD
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Chevy Chase, MD

I have been working at The Endocrine Society full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work/life balance, wonderful co-workers, very supportive departments and overall office culture. There is a lot of room for learning and managers encourage autonomy, individuality, and listen to what ideas and contributions you have to bring to the table.

Cons

Small non-profit, so the room for growth is limited based on the fact that people like to stay a long time. Take this into consideration if you want to climb up the ladder.

There's a Reason The Smart People Leave

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chevy Chase, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chevy Chase, MD

I worked at The Endocrine Society

Pros

- The Endocrine Society is a paycheck
    - TES has casual summers (meaning you can wear shorts, jeans, etc. all summer long!)
    - There's a really good deli at the grocery store about a block away

Cons

- There seems to be a general lack of business sense
    - The hiring scheme is directly related to the enormous amount of turnover. Entry level positions are generally filled by a staffing agency, and employees are on a "temp to perm" basis. What this means is that for 90 working days the employee they fully mean to hire are allowed to go under paid and without any benefits. This builds an immediate level of hostility and distrust between the organization and very valuable assets (young people with fresh ideas, the amibition to work).
    - Management is generally disrespectful of employees, gossipy, petty
    - HR is not there in the interest or support of employees
    - Organizational structure and managerial personalities results in knowledge silos and very little interdepartmental communication
    - Toxic environment

- TES is top heavy. The management has stagnated and bloated over the years, which has resulted in there being very little directional change. While I realize stability makes sense for an organization supported by doctors, the organization itself needs a breath of fresh air. If management would take the time to listen to its younger employees and caucus ideas, it might result in not only an improved relationship between management and said employees, but also and an up-tick in business, interest from the community TES is trying to serve. Management has a very skewed perception of their general importance and business capabilities. In general, very unpleasant people to work for.

Good place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I worked at The Endocrine Society

Pros

they try to always make employees feel like they're part of a team with real goals. No limits is you have initiative. Kinda fun. growing and teamwork.

Cons

i had to leave because of family time commitments, but i'd go back. work is demanding and we always needed to be learning how to do something new.

try to grow at a slower pace. we were exhaused sometimes, but it was also fun, especially the annual meeting. too much to do.

Good atmosphere

I have been working at The Endocrine Society full-time

Pros

Competitive salaries, good benefits, nice people

Cons

Some folks have been there too long and not open to change. Offices are a little isolated.

For an association, it's a nice place to work with less in-fighting and territorial-ism than I've experienced elsewhere. The organization is run like a business and the expectations are high which is unusual in the world of associations and may have led to some of the negative reviews on here. Sometimes, they could ease up a bit more but there are constant new projects and never any down time. Sometimes that's a good thing, other times, a little down time would be nice!

There Are Better Options

I have been working at The Endocrine Society full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Prestigious medical society
    Compensation is better than average

Cons

High degree of favoritism by senior management. If you are not a member of the in-group you are likely to find yourself isolated and evaluated negatively even if you are talented and highly competent. Blame mongering and scapegoating are common management practices. Overall, senior management seems to be petty and nasty. Turnover in some senior and key mid-level positions has been high in the last few years. The smart ones go before they are pushed. You can see that for yourself by doing a little research. Given the nature of the work the members do, this should be a much better place to work than it is. This should be a model association. As it is, there are better options for those looking for association jobs.

Worked for The Endocrine Society? Contribute to the Community!