The Entrepreneur's Source

Updated September 11, 2014
Updated September 11, 2014
2.5

CEO

A truly educational and inspiring experience.

Current Employee - Bookkeeper/Editor
    Current Employee - Bookkeeper/Editor

I have been working at The Entrepreneur's Source full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

We have an amazing team to work with. Over the years, many have come and gone, and I've made lifelong friendships in the process. Being an entrepreneurial company, everything is constantly changing. With that comes great opportunity to improve yourself and learn new skills all while bettering the company itself. We are constantly taught that change is inevitable, mistakes will be made - but we grow from all of it. I'm in my 6th year here, and I still love coming to work every single day. I'm grateful to have a job, but I'm lucky to have this one.

Cons

The constant change and staff turnover mentioned above has a tendency to make for a heavier workload, confusion around how to do certain tasks and even who is supposed to be doing said tasks. Again, though, this keeps things in constant motion and draws us all closer as a team / unit. Even better, work is NEVER boring and stale!

I've always thought it would be great if team members could attend a full training week with new franchisees. This would really help us learn all aspects of the company - a 360-degree view.

A contemporary 30 year old company helping people to become business owners

Former Employee - Vice President of Business Systems in Southbury, CT
    Former Employee - Vice President of Business Systems in Southbury, CT

I worked at The Entrepreneur's Source full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My time at The Entrepreneur's Source (and FSBI) were some of the best years of my career. As VP of Business Systems, I was impressed by the technology provided to the franchisees (who are business coaches), but also inspired by their determination to help tens of thousands of people find their ideal business or franchise opportunity. The founder of the company, Terry Powell, was always engaging franchisees in the decision making processes and I would report back to franchisees, regional developers and franchise committees about current and future project development which they were actively involved with. It is truly an entrepreneurial culture and one that pays much respect to continued learning and education.

Cons

Because the corporate staff is fairly small, responsibilities sometimes seemed endless. At no time did I ever feel compelled to say "that's not my job" but others struggled with having to be engaged with tasks and priorities that might not normally fit under more common job descriptions.

For the future, I believe management should be more open to telecommuting and flex-schedules for experienced staff members that have proven themselves trustworthy. And the requirements around paid time-off and vacation days were more restrictive than any other employment I've had causing conflicts for many.

Empowering & great work environment

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at The Entrepreneur's Source full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere, team and CEO are extremely empowering and give you endless opportunities, work within your unique ability

Cons

Not that I see it so much as a con but things are changing frequently so you have to be able to keep up in a fast paced environment, plus I love being able to do something different all of the time rather than sticking to the same mundane routine.

Thank you for this wonderful opportunity! I look forward to coming into work everyday and seeing what the day has in store for me.

One you want to pass on....

Former Employee - Specialist in Southbury, CT
    Former Employee - Specialist in Southbury, CT

I worked at The Entrepreneur's Source full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company has been in business for 30 years (I really don't know how) and I guess they are doing something right - so stability is there. It's a small company so you get to dabble in many different areas (which also can be a con). Quiet and neat work place - good people, poor management / leadership.

Cons

Company does not have a clear vision of where it's heading. Senior Managements shift decisions so many times projects are delayed and/or never get done. Wild wild west mentality whereas changes in policy, processes and technology are implemented without insight from company experts. Pretty girls get far, others not so. Company values are a joke.

Manage up, be decisive and trust the people you hire or don't hire anyone at all. Contain the obvious 'favoritism' for the office 'hotties' and manage fairly. Invest in technology - everything is always breaking in the company. Also, be honest and live up to company values - just don't have employees repeat them without any substance or meaning.

Great people, great organization, terrible management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southbury, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southbury, CT

I worked at The Entrepreneur's Source full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The team of people who work there are engaging, hard working and overall good people who know their stuff.

Cons

low paying salaries, poor management, terrible to no benefits,constant drama

The company focuses too much on creating an environment of fear and constant drama. The CEO, Terry Powell, shows favoritism to some and if he doesn't like you or if you challenge him, he retaliates by turning off to you or creating a hostile work environment. He hires cute young girls and if you don't fit that mold, you won't go far. Many good people left while I was there because of his tantrums and over inflated ego.

Business and Franchise coaching services

I worked at The Entrepreneur's Source

Pros

Work for yourself. Work to your schedule

Cons

difficult to find paying clients. No base salary - you only get paid when you sign someone up for a business coaching service or help them purchase a franchise.

This franchise requires strong sales skills to do well. Don't let people join who have no sales experience or aptitude for sales.