The Florida Times-Union

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Real Pros in a Dying Trade

Photographer (Former Employee)
    Jacksonville, FL

ProsCo-Workers are dedicated, true professionals who never waiver in their standards or ethics to tell the most accurate story possible.

ConsNewspapers are continuing to decline despite the best efforts to make money in their online editions. It will be a miracle if they are still alive in ten years.

Growing

(Former Employee)
    Jacksonville, FL

ProsThe TU is the news hub and gateway for Jacksonville, so the history alone is a major benefit.

Current employees have been here for a long time so the company overall is good. It seems that everyone has a family member working for the TU and most employees who have left the TU, seem to come back.

Every year, we create better products and services to offer our advertisers and we have research to support the products' effectiveness.

Consultants have the flexibility to come and go and the new sales commission structure allows them to make more money.

ConsThe marketing efforts and presence within the community is very poor. Working with the marketing department is a nightmare. There's a major disconnection between the news room and other departments making it very difficult to get coverage on important events and/or advertisers.

Upper management have been in the same positions for awhile (which is a major pro) but growth in your own career, particularly sales, is unlikely.

Training needs to be improved for employees and a new hire training program needs to be implemented.

The building is super old... it should be renovated.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore consistency. There's a disconnection between management which causes confusion as to what our ultimate goal is.

The gossiping has become borderline hostile. Management and HR need to realize that this is becoming an issue and take action.

Making a Major Turn Around

Jacksonville, FL

ProsThe company is moving in the right direction. As an employee there is a good work/life balance and anybody that is willing to work hard can be successful here.

ConsThe rising cost of benefits like health insurance but that seems to be the case with most employers.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

sales

Sales (Current Employee)
    Jacksonville, FL

ProsFlexible scheduling and great co-workers.

ConsMany cons with limited perks.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to compensate your employees fairly.

The company was beginning to file for bankruptcy and going through massive lay-offs. People were going through pay cuts.

Sales & Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
    Jacksonville, FL

ProsFun people, fun environment with people helping one another out. Fast learning curve with a good platform in print and digital.

ConsPay cuts, lay offs. Deceit managers passing the negative feeling along.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with the employees even if things are going bad.

not good

Paper Carrier (Current Employee)
    Jacksonville, FL

Prosthe money and work hours are okay

Consnot being able to have a nite off

Advice to Senior Managementhave atleast one nite off a month and gas money,dms attitudes need to change

Poor leadership - Poor employee relations

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Jacksonville, FL

ProsHas the opportunity to provide a wonderful service/product for the community
    If you work well within boundaries and hierarchical structure the general environment could work for you
    Some very skilled individuals do exist

ConsManagement style is hierarchical and authoritative
    Diversity is nonexistent and not valued
    Dept heads are paid so well they would never question the status quo
    Employees are their means to their end - nothing else

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate standards that are transparent and trust your employees
    Take a closer look at your department heads

Challenge and Opportunity

ProsNecessity is allowing for change. Most of this change is good and affords ANYONE with energy, common sense and vision a chance to make an impact and rise in the company. This affords a future of possibilities as this newspaper and website make a transition into a new era of media.

ConsFear and politics plague some who have been entrenched in the industry for a long time. Change can be difficult for them but they are trying to make an effort.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop looking at other newspapers for direction and stop looking at "traditional journalism" for an answer. Become a sales and marketing organization or die trying.

Overall good place to work but an unstable environment because of upper management and home office.

Account Executive (Former Employee)

ProsThe level of training is good and you have many opportunites to further your education.

ConsUnstable management
    Corporate place so many outside people in to try to make changes yet don't listen to the actual sales force out in the market
    Many many financial problems within the company and no loyalty to the employees

Stay away from this sinking ship

ProsTime of my shift and benefits

ConsIncompetent management in the circulation department that treats their employees horribly.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave an overhaul of the circulation department

Worked for The Florida Times-Union? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Florida Times-Union reviews and ratings. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by The Florida Times-Union employees.