The Flying Saucer

Updated October 22, 2014
Updated October 22, 2014
3.1

Shannon Wynne

Great place to work and make lifelong friends

Current Employee - Bartender in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Bartender in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at The Flying Saucer part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

huge beer selection, decent food, fun staff, excellent management, reasonable opportunity to move up

Cons

easy to get caught up in the bar scene, thats it. otherwise, really great place to work (and play)

Terrible. Just terrible.

Former Employee - Server in Austin, TX

I worked at The Flying Saucer full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Extensive beer knowledge, which was a plus. But most people just wanted their three beers to add to their card.

Cons

So many cons.

I let the outfit slide. Then I started to question why I was wearing a short skirt with a t shirt. With how much beer knowledge I was given you thought it wouldn't matter what I wore.

Management was terrible. Closing shift followed by an opening shift. Very greedy. More focused on their personal bonuses.

The girls were a nightmare to work with. I've never worked in an environment where people thought their orders were more important than yours. I would be on aloha and a young girl would come over and exit me out in the middle of typing. They always had some sort of drama going on. Try ignoring it and they somehow drag you in.

The kitchen closed whenever it felt like it and the customers complained about it constantly. Management didn't care. They also had a high turnover in management. Pretty pathetic. They also fired people whenever they felt like it.

Clientele wasn't even that great. A lot of frat boys who tipped low. I was more than happy to leave that job.

Stop doing everything you're doing. Learn how to care about your employees.

Was over worked and never got cut

I worked at The Flying Saucer part-time

Pros

The money was great and learning about beer was cool

Cons

They do not appreciate you and will keep you working even if they give you 2 tables

Needs better management

Fun but comes with drama

Current Employee - Bartender in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Bartender in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Flying Saucer full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Overall good place to work. Customers are usually decent clientele. Tips vary widely depending on day of week. Good beer and food, adds to employee happiness.

Cons

Management has political agenda and/irnternal goals to hit sometimes hindering front of house efficiency. Late night hours can get exhausting, especially if it is a second job.

Do periodic employee meetings where they could anonymously mention how management is treating employees, as well as attitude in which they approach employees needs.

good for a part time job while in school

Current Employee - Line Cook in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Line Cook in Columbia, SC

I have been working at The Flying Saucer

Pros

a fun group of people.

Cons

expect you to stay late whenever they want you too

assign more accountability to employees

Good short term means for an end.

I worked at The Flying Saucer

Pros

High volume, meaning a potential to make money quick. Late Hours, open till 2 a.m. though you get out earlier than workers in other bars typically do. Very little side work.

Cons

There is no opportunity for advancement within the company, communication to lower lever employees is slim to none, compensation is your basic 2.13 for servers, and the health care plan is not too great. Employee morale is not of issue, professional interaction with management is slim, this includes my poor response for recognition and feedback in that it is almost non existent.

Rethink store management choices and styles, also work on a better health care plan.