The Flying Saucer Reviews

Updated April 1, 2015
13 reviews filtered by
3.4
Shannon Wynne

This job is a stepping stone to elsewhere - take everything is context.

Current Employee - Server in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Server in Austin, TX

I have been working at The Flying Saucer

Pros

This is the Austin Saucer - the cattiness exists, but it's low considering it's a huge group of girls. If you don't want to get sucked into drama, walk away when you hear it. I've done that and I'm happy there, no one drags me in. No group is perfect, there are always some jerks and people you won't like. But there are some real gems in this group and everyone seems to get along for the most part, despite our differences. Occasionally there is some "mean girl" banter but it's not an epidemic or anything.

Girls who show up, work hard, and show maturity earn respect from their co-workers and managers here. There is a lot to know ("but it's just a server job!" - trust me. There is a lot to know). But my point is, it's worth it if you can commit to it. Do your homework (really, do your homework) and pay attention in training. It will translate into greater earning potential. Customers are often surprised and impressed by our extensive training, and they often tip accordingly. Better service commands higher pay, right?

Management has its ugly moments - one manager can be a jerk when he's stressed out (but the same guy will also go to bat for you when a customer is being a jerk, and also just generally works his ___ off to make the place run smoothly so you can, you know, make money) and overall I am happy with my managers. If you show them that you respect them and their time, and you respect the job, they will show you respect in the form of fair schedules and sections. No - you won't get a perfect section all the time. But they try to be fair, within reason. If you have a concern, share it - you will be heard.

Finally, the beer. The beer is amazing, and there is so much, and you have this instant group of friends that all appreciates beer as much as you do (or, as much as you have learned to appreciate it because, I repeat, the training is extensive!).

Cons

The hours are long and brutal. But is anyone confused as to the fact that we work in a bar?

The bar life can suck you in. But it's up to you to decide whether this is the life you want forever, and it's up to you to do something about it.

Some girls can be selfish. They don't want to do side work, they just want to get cut and take off to go drink with their friends, regardless of whether you are weeded in your section or you need extra help. But other girls are hardworking and conscientious, which is the best way to deal with this problem. Be different, work hard. The managers will notice and they will show you the respect that you show others. Most girls will also show you respect for being a team player.

Also, as far as selfishness goes, I saw a review from earlier and wanted to point out that with 5 computers and often 8 girls on the floor, if you step up to place an order but find yourself running back and forth to your table to complete your order, that means you didn't collect all the information you needed and you are now making inefficient use of a limited resource that another girl needs. Don't be selfish. This is a fast paced environment and it's important to respect the needs of the team by either being prepared or stepping aside so another girl can place her order while you address your own situation back at your customer's table.

Some customers are jerks. What can be done about this? Sometimes, nothing. Other times, when a line is crossed, ask for help. Your co-workers and managers will back you up.

The uniforms. It's hard to be taken seriously wearing a schoolgirl skirt, even when it's clear I have all this brain in my head.

Advice to Management

Dear 8.0 Management: I would like a more viable option for health insurance. I personally feel like you could try a little harder.

2. Fantastic Company with excellent management and plenty of room to grow

Former Employee - Beer Goddess in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Beer Goddess in Raleigh, NC

I worked at The Flying Saucer part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great beer, good food, awesome management, support, positive, energetic environment, fun staff, great friends and memories and good money

Cons

stressful, long hours, late nights

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work :)

3. Managers are very spiteful. Once you're on their list, your life is hell until they find another target.

Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at The Flying Saucer part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-New knowledge and constantly learning new things
    -Great tips since alcohol and liquor rack up tabs very quickly

Cons

-Managers are very short-tempered and spiteful, hard to approach
    -Over worked and understaffed a majority of the time
    -Turnover rate is very high because of managers and work environment

Advice to Management

Work on lifting up your team rather than attacking and mentally and emotionally knocking them down. People respond more to a kind and loyal leader rather than a tyrant.

5. Cheers to the Saucer!

I worked at The Flying Saucer

Pros

Fantastic work atmosphere! Very much like the show "Cheers!" where everyone makes the effort to learn and remember your name (both staff and customers). Extensive and amazing beer selection with an incredibly knowledgeable staff!

Cons

Potential for long hours, but it is all part of the job!

6. Knowledgable staff and management

I worked at The Flying Saucer

Pros

Always surrounding yourself with friends- young fun coworkers, gaining irreplaceable knowledge of the craft beer industry

Cons

late nights, no structured scheduling, work place drama, not too many promotion opportunities

7. Hard entrance!

I worked at The Flying Saucer

Pros

The tips are good, the atmosphere is pleasant, the other waitresses are nice.

Cons

Always having to constantly keep up with so many beers it's just not for everyone.

8. Server, waitress

I worked at The Flying Saucer

Pros

Absolutely loved my managers and the girls that I worked with. The environment was great and the regulars that came in are awesome.

Cons

The hours, but that's what is expected in the service industry

Advice to Management

Management was great.

9. Terrible. Just terrible.

Former Employee - Server in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Server in Austin, TX

I worked at The Flying Saucer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Extensive beer knowledge, which was a plus. But most people just wanted their three beers to add to their card.

Cons

So many cons.

I let the outfit slide. Then I started to question why I was wearing a short skirt with a t shirt. With how much beer knowledge I was given you thought it wouldn't matter what I wore.

Management was terrible. Closing shift followed by an opening shift. Very greedy. More focused on their personal bonuses.

The girls were a nightmare to work with. I've never worked in an environment where people thought their orders were more important than yours. I would be on aloha and a young girl would come over and exit me out in the middle of typing. They always had some sort of drama going on. Try ignoring it and they somehow drag you in.

The kitchen closed whenever it felt like it and the customers complained about it constantly. Management didn't care. They also had a high turnover in management. Pretty pathetic. They also fired people whenever they felt like it.

Clientele wasn't even that great. A lot of frat boys who tipped low. I was more than happy to leave that job.

Advice to Management

Stop doing everything you're doing. Learn how to care about your employees.

10. Was over worked and never got cut

I worked at The Flying Saucer part-time

Pros

The money was great and learning about beer was cool

Cons

They do not appreciate you and will keep you working even if they give you 2 tables

Advice to Management

Needs better management

11. Fun but comes with drama

Current Employee - Bartender in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Bartender in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Flying Saucer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall good place to work. Customers are usually decent clientele. Tips vary widely depending on day of week. Good beer and food, adds to employee happiness.

Cons

Management has political agenda and/irnternal goals to hit sometimes hindering front of house efficiency. Late night hours can get exhausting, especially if it is a second job.

Advice to Management

Do periodic employee meetings where they could anonymously mention how management is treating employees, as well as attitude in which they approach employees needs.