The Franklin Institute

Be The First To
Add Photos

Good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsVery friendly environment with hard-working people

ConsDifficult to move up/be promoted

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more opportunities to retain good talent through promotions.

The people and coworkers are great, everything else ughhh.!

ProsCoworkers are awesome, the manager Jackie is phenomenal. The people you meet can be great. Scheduling is flexible. Great first time or college job.

ConsPay sucks for what you do. Other managers suck your daily schedule is always weird and sometimes unorganized.

It was a alright job, managers felt very entitled, and at times were unprofessional.

Greeter I (Former Employee) Phila, PA

ProsGreat familiar environment, you felt like you were really part of a team while you were here. Was able to make a lot of connections that I sill have today.

ConsThe simplicity of the job left room for managers to be stricter on certain aspects of the job when they did not need to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

hmmm..

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsFree admission for myself, and other museums around.
    The General Manager of the Box Office is the only shining star of that place

ConsLaundry list of shenanigans that go on in this place.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis morning I just dropped my badge and uniform off to HR because I just wasn't happy anymore. From the horror storys i've heard about the turnover rate I just officially experienced it. I started a month or so back, started off fine. The training was cool, had alot of fun. Then real work started. God theres alot of work to only be paid a dollar above minimum wage. I'm not greedy and all for a good days of hard work but make it worth it, man. I worked in the box office and glad to be gone. I kind of just stopped going once I emailed the GM about me not being happy anymore and thinking of leaving and asking if i should finish out the week as a respect thing for them so they wouldn't be screwed or if i should just stop coming. Normally theyre really good about responding to emails.. Nothing. I just stopped coming. and brought back my uniform and badge. Which if you dont bring back theyll hold 75$ out of your money owed untill you do. I've been working Customer Service since i was 13 years old. Why i took a job paying this low? I know im on a high horse, but if it was worth it and they at least try not to make me into a number it would be wonderful.. --- ALSOOOO why i'm on the subject. During training they THRIVE that they want to be like the Four Seasons, Or Disney and they had a whole power point about how they want to be the best of employeers. Fat chances when you have supervisors that are rude to even not meaning to be stupid "Guests" manning your employees. Also EVERY COMPUTER IS WINDOWS XP. THAT I CANT TELL YOU HOW MANY TIMES HAVE FROZEN WHILE HAVING A LONG LINE OUT THE DOOR. You guys make an extreme amount of money.. And you're gonna put us on the field with faulty equipment. Jeez..- They only shining star they have is the General Manager of the Box office. The names Daria. She was an absolute sweetheart and i really only feel bad for leaving so suddenly cause shes gonna have to work to replace me last minute.

This was an amazing first job experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsI was able to "get my foot in the door" and was given the freedom to pursue my different interests within the Institute. Everyone there was extremely positive in their day-to-day interactions and made it a pleasant place to be!

ConsThe pay was below the market average for my job, and the offices are located in the basement--It definitely got a little claustrophobic at times.

Lack of Leadership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsLaid back dress, good benefits, work is somewhat rewarding

ConsMajor lack of leadership, high turnover, no training or programs to help you improve, technology is outdated for a science and technology museum, work/ life balance is not great, management does not give clear goals and team based environment is not stressed. The organization is non-profit so they try to cut back and not hire people. If you are part-time, great! you can move all over the organization. Full-time staff are given the bulk of the work, sometimes doing two people's job's at once. If a position is vacant, it is typical for them to do away with the position all together rather than spend time trying to fill it. The tasks will simply be handed to an employee. The place is rarely closed, only about 4 times a year. Burn out is a common theme.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a reason for employees to want to stay and advance their career's. Invest in newer technology that does not crash on a daily basis. Keep a closer eye mid-level management and how they treat employees. Learn to build your staff from the ground up.

Horrible Management, Not Amenable to Health Problems

Box Office (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsWalking around the museum, perks for having an ID badge, easy job, fun to work in exhibits

ConsThey hire managers that are clueless when it comes to managing people, I was told the questions I asked when I wasn't sure what to do was stupid, I had a medical problem while there and I was penalized for it (missing a week of work because I was in the hospital) and they were NOT accommodating to my physical ailment. The supervisors were great, but anyone above that would degrade lower employees and embarrass the others.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers who know how to manage.

No finacial backing

Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsYou get to walk around a museum.

ConsPoor working environment, lack of financial backing

Advice to Senior Managementopen the purse strings and spend some money to upgrade your infrastructure

Great place to work if you don't have a lot of bills or debt

Floor Staff (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

Pros-Great atmosphere
    -Worthwhile mission
    -Fast paced
    -Always changing
    -Variable hours
    -Flexible schedules
    -Great perks: access to other museums in the city using only ID badge, lots of community building

Cons-Advancement is not always possible--divided into many different departments, and not easy to hop between them.
    -Pay is pretty low--not really a place that can provide a life-long career unless you are in upper management.

Advice to Senior Management-Create more upper positions so that you can keep the good employees who want to stay

Fun, wacky, educational, and challenging

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsLots of pportunities to move up within the institution, you're always learning something on the job, brushing elbows with interesting and sometimes famous (in the science world or elsewhere) pepole. There's rarely a boring day on the job, and if you work in museum programs you'll get a chance at least once to blow things up, track stars on the telescope, watch IMAX movies on a huge Omnimax screen, run Mythbusters-type experiments, and get paid for it all!!! I can't really speak for the other departments within the museum, but I'm pretty sure they all have their perks as well.

ConsRather low pay for the lower-tier jobs that often do take a good deal of knowledge and training. There is a tendency for some people there to stay in the same (often low) position for years upon years while complaining about it and never moving forward, or up, which leads to low moral and discontent.

Worked for The Franklin Institute? Contribute to the Community!