The Fresh Market

Updated December 21, 2014
2.6

The Fresh Market President and CEO Craig Carlock
Craig Carlock

Pros
  • The best thing about working for them is 20% discount on food (in 54 reviews)

• Employee discount program is excellent - 20% to start and it goes up with more tenure (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Store managers last an average of about a year in my experience (in 31 reviews)

• Upper Management/Home office have no clue what goes on in stores (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to Build a Career and Future

I have been working at The Fresh Market full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The Fresh Market offers excellent opportunities for advancement both personally and professionally. The Fresh Market has provided the genuine opportunity for me to achieve many of my professional aspirations while leaving room to keep growing and improving. I could truly work many places, however I choose to have a career at The Fresh market. There is not a single portion of my professional journey here at The Fresh Market that I would change. There are very few companies like The Fresh Market where the CEO knows you on first name basis and can be engaging on a personal and professional level with genuine interest, candor and warmth.

Cons

As with all companies focused on growth and expansion, The Fresh Market is still defining both what is today and what it will be in the future.

My advice to management is to remain cognizant of the feedback offered at all levels of the organization.

Overall great place to work

Current Employee - Operations Management Recruiter in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Operations Management Recruiter in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at The Fresh Market full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Promotional Opportunity
    Great People
    Family Atmosphere
    Generous Discount
    Company focused on making changes

Cons

Pay
    Inconsistent views of District Managers with what makes a great leader
    Recognition should be improved
    While diversity has improved, inclusion still needs work. This is about educating people on how to ensure they are including the diverse backgrounds and ideas to impact the store and company.

Take time and get into the stores, share more with the employees of what you are doing, directly to impact their work environment.

The fresh market is the best place to work

Current Employee - Baker in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Current Employee - Baker in Myrtle Beach, SC

I have been working at The Fresh Market

Pros

Awesome place to work. Management and corporate really cares about it's employees. I am a current employee and hope to be for many more years to come.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any.

Keep doing what you're doing putting employees first. Can honestly say the best job i have ever had.

A Great Learning Opportunity and Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at The Fresh Market full-time

Pros

From my experience, I have enjoyed my time working here at The Fresh Market. One of the biggest reasons is due to the people that I work with. Never have I been not just a part of a team, but a company that genuinely cares about each other. How many companies are out there where the CEO not only knows you by name, but remembers your last conversation and actually cares about how your are doing? And the team I work with now is by far the best team I have ever worked with in my entire career. The passion and drive to do not only their job, but what is right is just outstanding, and it makes me want to be a better person. I always know without a doubt the my team will be there to support me and each other if any of us ever needed help. Also, I have the ability to try new things and actually use my creativity and ideas on a daily basis which, to be honest, gives me a sense not only of accomplishment, but the feeling of "putting my stamp" on something. And, of course, the 20% discount is nice too.

Cons

As with any company, there will always be some areas if improvement. The company is in a great growth stage right now, but they are growing out of their support base. Staff is light in the field and at the corporate office and, if the company plans to grow at a rate they are going, they will need to spend the money in order to support it. Compensation in some areas are also below the average and below what competitors pay as well.

Spend some more time in the field, increase the compensation packages(pay, time off, etc), and invest more money in technology that can automate basic tasks that individuals do on a daily basis. This will save money in the long run.

Dec 16, 2014HR

We are glad to hear that you have enjoyed your time working at The Fresh Market! As a company, we do strive to help our employees grow both professionally and personally, and we are glad to hear that ... More

The Fresh Market, a small competitive and growing upscale speciality market.

Former Employee - Assist Bakery Manager
    Former Employee - Assist Bakery Manager

I worked at The Fresh Market

Pros

Benefits were good and training was on the job with a knowledgeable FM employee who had been with the company for awhile and who knew the FM regulations and policies. I loved the smallness of the Market as it made a closeness with the other department employees and The FM customers.

Cons

Overwhelming at times with not enough help and so much to do at close. Pay could have been much better because of that factor.

Get your good workers the help they need and pay them well because they are taking care of you and making you look good and the store look good.

Great team and great place of employment

Current Employee - Deli Employee in Southern Pines, NC
    Current Employee - Deli Employee in Southern Pines, NC

I have been working at The Fresh Market

Pros

Good location, great atmosphere, great customers

Cons

Turnover rate not good, some dept managers not team players/team builder's

Encourage teamwork

Dec 10, 2014HR

We are glad to hear you have enjoyed working at The Fresh Market! We try to keep a working environment where people can thrive and grow in their career and in their own lives as well. ~TFM

Having a great experience

Current Employee - Baker
    Current Employee - Baker

I have been working at The Fresh Market

Pros

Fun coworkers, travel to open new stores

Cons

Hard to advance within company

Take the time to really get to know people who want to advance.

Dec 10, 2014HR

We are happy to hear that you have found The Fresh Market a great place to work, and thank you for taking the time to leave a review! ~TFM

Meatcuter

Former Employee - Meatcuter in Southern Pines, NC
    Former Employee - Meatcuter in Southern Pines, NC

I worked at The Fresh Market full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good place to work. Allows you to make overtime. , good benefits .

Cons

Pay increases were always retroactive.

Lighting too dim, too cluttered

Dec 8, 2014HR

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with at The Fresh Market, and that you have enjoyed the benefits, compensation, and the employees that you have worked with. ~TFM

It's an ok place to work

Current Employee - Meat Cutter in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Meat Cutter in Cary, NC

I have been working at The Fresh Market full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most coworkers are friendly and helpful
    20% off all store purchases, not including alcohol
    Typically easy to get days requested off as long as your department is adequately staffed
    High turnover had the benefit of opening up opportunities for advancement and growth into other positions

Cons

Lots of turnover
    Not the most competitive pay rates
    Helpfulness and effectiveness of management is hit or miss

Dec 8, 2014HR

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about you current experience working at The Fresh Market. We are glad to hear that you feel the your coworkers are friendly, the discount is a plus ... More

Unrealistic expectations

Current Employee - Department Manager in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at The Fresh Market full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most of my cow-workers are hard working and will do their jobs and help you with yours if you get behind in your department. The discount is 20% on almost anything in the store, and they bump it up an extra 5% for the holidays.

Cons

Upper management (assistant manager and up, all the way through to corporate level) is unrealistic in their expectations. They do not give enough hours for each department to be able to schedule enough people to do all of the work required to fully stock/ prep/ fill/ unload/ maintain the department to their standards. This forces department managers to have to work an excessive number of hours to take up the slack that hourly workers are not allowed to be scheduled for. They also will not lift a finger to help you unless they are told to by someone else. I have worked for this company in other stores, those managers will help when needed, putting on an apron at every need several times a day. Here you see some assistant managers walk around the store never doing any work at all, looking more like a security guard.

The management needs to re-evaluate the way they are treating their employees. A lot of hard working employees are leaving the company looking for better pay and more respect and recognition for the hard work that they are doing.