The Fresh Market

Updated November 26, 2014
2.5

The Fresh Market President and CEO Craig Carlock
Craig Carlock

Pros
  • The best thing about working for them is 20% discount on food (in 54 reviews)

• Employee discount program is excellent - 20% to start and it goes up with more tenure (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Store managers last an average of about a year in my experience (in 31 reviews)

• Upper Management/Home office have no clue what goes on in stores (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Being looked over for a postion

I have been working at The Fresh Market

Pros

It's really not a bad place to work.

Cons

You can't advance much in this company. You have the experience and knowledge of the job. They look over you for someone that done have any experience or knowledge of the job. But they know someone in management to get the postion. And they are not running it you are. But you're not getting paid they are and I don't think that's fair.

Nov 12, 2014HR

We are sorry you feel that career advancement in the company is not what you had anticipated it would be. If feel that you have not been given the ample opportunity to continue your growth within the ... More

I've been working there for most of this year.

I have been working at The Fresh Market part-time

Pros

Heads make sure you get the days off you need with no fuss.
    Free coffee.
    The three major holidays off.
    Everyone that works there is pretty much friendly and helpful, including all of the managers.
    20% discount on everything except for alcohol, including sales.
    Work with you to make sure you're happy with your position, ect.
    So far, a positive experience with the people and the job I'm doing.

Cons

Hours are random and never the same from week to week making it very difficult to plan anything beyond that week.
    Hours get cut drastically with no explanation or regards to you having to have money to live. I was hired for one amount of hours and ended up with a third of that, forcing me to get a second job and finally transfer to a totally different department that is much more physically demanding.... a job I would have NEVER applied for.
    Then after your hours are severely cut, the same amount of work is still expected of you. Because we all know that less hours with the same amount of work is fine and dandy. You have to kill yourself for a couple of dollars above minimum wage.
    I've heard how things are done at other locations and how horrible the managers are at those locations so I count myself lucky to have the team that I do have.
    I gave it three stars because of the cons part of this review.

This company wouldn't have such a high turnover rate of employees and would be more successful if they would stop messing with hours, pay more, weed out the dead beats and realize that people are humans and can't do eight hours of work in five hours. I know it's all about "the numbers" but you need to get with the program.

Nov 12, 2014HR

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about your current experience working at The Fresh Market. We are glad to hear that The Fresh Market has been able to provide a friendly work ... More

I have loved my experience working for the fresh market, great company to work for .

I have been working at The Fresh Market full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

above average wages, room for growth, supportive management. this company wants to grow its employees into managers.

Cons

long hours, rarely get 2 days off in a row.

Meat manager

I have been working at The Fresh Market

Pros

Benefits and days off. So tired after work had to rest for hours. 6 days a week and no overtime pay.

Cons

Run for your life if you can and enjoy the good things in life

Be leaders

Nov 12, 2014HR

Thank you for your review about your experience working at The Fresh Market. We are sorry to hear that the work-life balance in your current role is not in line with what you are expecting from an ... More

Challenging Career Adventure

Former Employee - Grocery Specialist in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Grocery Specialist in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at The Fresh Market part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The Food, Benefits, co-workers, Sampling Events

Cons

This company is not your ordinary grocery store. For instance, a grocery associate will have to be the receiver, grocery clerk, dairy clerk, frozen clerk, and do inventories. It is a lot for only 4-5 people depending on sales.

They do the best they can because they also have many,many, responsibilities and not enough help.

It's ok

I have been working at The Fresh Market

Pros

Great food, healthy eating, opens you to knew flavor a and brands.

Cons

No communication from management to employees, last minute review on sales and deals (finding things out after the fact)

Communicate!! Review upcoming sales with all employees

Oct 30, 2014HR

Thank you for your comment in regards to communication concerns at your store. We understand communication is crucial and essential to any company, and we are constantly trying to improve. ~TFM

The fresh market has a recipe that calms all senses.

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at The Fresh Market (less than an year)

Pros

The moment I step in the door all my senses are at ease. The calming music, the delicious scents, the warm lighting, the smiling faces on both customers and coworkers. It's a very peaceful environment. Of course humans will be human, no one is perfect. But as far as retail goes this is certainly the best retail job I've ever had!

Cons

I would like to see more full time positions available, and possibly pto offered to part trimmers. Also hours can fluctuate radically. The location I currently work at is constantly getting hours cut. Not totally sure where that stems from but I know it's stressing my store manager out. As well as making it difficult on everyone else.

Nov 11, 2014HR

We are glad to hear that The Fresh Market has proven to be a calming place to work for you! Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment about your experience and I hope we are able to continue ... More

Its ok

I worked at The Fresh Market

Pros

discount, Friendly co workers, benefits

Cons

low pay, no training, not a happy place

benefits,

Nov 11, 2014HR

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about your experience working at The Fresh Market. We appreciate your feedback in regards to compensation, training, and moral. As we continue to grow ... More

Has potential, if they would actually try

Current Employee - Cashier in Johnson City, TN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Johnson City, TN

I have been working at The Fresh Market part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Mostly friendly employees
    20% discount
    Easy job, not very demanding
    Willing to work with school schedules (most of the time)
    You can request off as long as it's not during the holidays

Cons

Management never does anything. They all huddle together and talk instead of doing real work. The managers often gossip and say disrespectful things about their female employees and customers.
    At my particular store, the actual front end manager never does anything. One of the assistant front end managers makes the schedule and thinks that she is God. If she's mad at you, she cuts your hours. Many employees and customers have had problems with her and her attitude, but nothing has been done to solve them.
    It took four months for the manager to put my yearly raise in the computer.
    They give little to no training for new employees and expect them to know exactly what to do.
    Schedules are never consistent. This makes planning things more than a week in advance very difficult. For example, one employee had to reschedule an important doctor's appointment four times because the assistant FEM wouldn't give her the day off that she requested.
    Front end managers will fuss at you for not doing something (such as standing at the end of your register) and then wander around the store doing nothing.
    Customers at this store are often snobby rich people (because they're the only ones who can afford the food) that ask stupid questions and have no regard for the employees.
    Employees who don't do their jobs are not punished and management just lowers their expectations for that employee.

Stop slacking and get it together.

Assistant Store Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Hendersonville, NC
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Hendersonville, NC

I worked at The Fresh Market full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Customers and food were high quality. It was nice to sell something you believed to be the highest of quality.

Cons

This small time backwoods good ole boy operation is still ran like it has 10 stores instead of well over 100. If you are looking for fairness, integrity and a human resource team to protect the rights of employees, keep on looking elsewhere. Promotions go to whomever the Regional Manager favors as a pet project rather than those who consistently perform well above standard. No sick days, pay is well below industry standard, employees are just numbers and support from the main office is non-existent.

Promote people who will take the company to the next level, rather than who attended your last private bbq. Get a new HR team, maybe one who attended college and can read.