The Fresh Market Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
538 reviews filtered by
2.6
Sean Crane

Pros
  • The best thing about working for them is 20% discount on food (in 54 reviews)

• Employee discount program is excellent - 20% to start and it goes up with more tenure (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Store managers last an average of about a year in my experience (in 31 reviews)

• Upper Management/Home office have no clue what goes on in stores (in 25 reviews)

1. Cashier, store floater

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Raleigh, NC

I worked at The Fresh Market part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compared to a lot of jobs in food service, this is one of the less thankless and tiresome that are out there. The customers are generally friendly and being a small chain there's not a ton of corporate stuff to put up with. When I was there employees got a 30% discount is pretty good too. It works at all TFM locations too.

Cons

They start people off about as low as they can get them. Turn over is pretty high so it's actually not too hard to find a place to move up if you want to stick around and take on more responsibility.

Keep it up! TFM is a good place to work for people with a lot of different goals. I felt like store-level management was generally professional and was good at showing appreciation for the work for them. I know that's not the case a lot of retail/ grocery companies so that's a great thing going for TFM internally.

2. Good employer but very high expectations and very little recognition.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at The Fresh Market full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work life balance most of the time. Home office is highly supportive but not as fast to respond as sometimes needed. Self-motivated people will go far.

Cons

Leadership varies highly from district to district. Expectations are not always clearly defined.

re-evaluate the compensation plans for management.

3. Great place to work

Current Employee - Department Manager in Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at The Fresh Market full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benifits,discounts that get bigger the longer you work,wonderful customers and a chance to experience new foods .

Cons

Some departments need better supervision to make sure they follow guide lines

After sending down new rules or advice on how to do things they need to follow-up maybe come into stores more .

5. Company review.

Current Employee - Payroll in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Payroll in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at The Fresh Market

Pros

Coworkers were friendly. I don't really have any pros for this company. I like to shop at their stores.

Cons

The Director I reported to, salary and benefits.

They need to do an open minded review of their Payroll Department.

Corporate doesn't do what's right by the store. Over worked under paid.

Current Employee - Front End Manager
    Current Employee - Front End Manager

I have been working at The Fresh Market full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Discount, great food, schedule and some really great co-workers.

Cons

Management is not consistent. Store manager has favorites, and talks down to many. Some awful co-workers, they just don't follow any rules and nothing happens. Salaries are better now for hourly clerks, but are awful for managers. Home office keeps messing up and it handicaps us from doing what's right for the customer. Get your signage straight!

Treat the good workers better. Take proper action with the workers that don't seem to care. Home office, get a proof reader for you signs and ads.

Broken promises!!!

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Plantation, FL
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Plantation, FL

I worked at The Fresh Market full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed working with most of my co-workers, made some friends from other departments as well!! Unfortunately, that wasn't enough to make up for the very stressful work environment in the deli. The Deli Manager was amazing!! Her hands were tied when it came to trying to get us more training and more employees!! Upper management also kept cutting her hours as well!

Cons

Not enough employees in the deli, NO training what so ever, then hours get cut!! So worried about going over on hours that management made employees leave the deli without any replacement!! You can't have 2 people working a deli on a Sunday afternoon!!

Listen to these complaints and take BETTER care of your hourly employees, they are in the trenches making you look good!!

8. Overall great company.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at The Fresh Market full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere. Most employees are good hardworking people. I enjoy interacting with the customers. There's always plenty to do. Coworkers and upper management are helpful and approachable. 20% discount is one of the best in the industry, and it increases the longer you've been with the company. With as fast as the company is growing there is plenty of opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Technology is a bit dated. Health insurance is high, but that's pretty much the norm now thanks to Obamacare.

technology really needs an upgrade. As an example, checking in a vendor should not take 10-20 minutes when they're only bringing in 20 pieces. In the past I've worked at companies where checking in a vendor with an even larger delivery took under 5 minutes. I believe with the right systems in place our stores would run much more efficiently. Other than that, keep up the good work.

So far everything is laid out for you.

I have been working at The Fresh Market

Pros

Opportunities for advancement can happen fast

Cons

Looks like experience is not apart of opportunities.

Should look at what people have in their backgrounds and might find a diamond in the rough

Overall OK

Current Employee - Produce Clerk
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk

I have been working at The Fresh Market full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People your work with are friendly and helpful
    Pay is better than most all competitors

Cons

Understaffed. When people quit, they will not replace them. Customer service is left lacking.
    Their lack of advertising really hurts them.

The Fresh Market Response

Mar 16, 2015HR

Thank you for sharing your candid feedback about your experience over the last 12+ months. I wanted to take the time and respond to your concerns. I am glad to hear that you enjoy working with a ... More

11. This company has great potential and I think is taking the steps to be a Great place to work.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at The Fresh Market

Pros

Ownership.
     They allow you to make mistakes and then help you correct them.

Cons

Havent found one yet. The pay good be better but couldn't always be better?