The Fresh Market

Updated September 16, 2014
2.5

The Fresh Market President and CEO Craig Carlock
Craig Carlock

Pros
  • The best thing about working for them is 20% discount on food (in 55 reviews)

• The employee discount is the best thing, and it even does not bring down prices enough (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • They cause a disruption and tell the store managers that the other employees caused it (in 25 reviews)

• Limited and unhelpful feedback from upper management (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Company has really changed over the last 7 years

I have been working at The Fresh Market full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fresh Market is a solid job that I know I will get 40 hrs a week and I won't get fired as long as I don't do anything stupid. Your workplace conditions are very dependent upon the store manager. If you have a good store manager, you have a good job. It is good for a young person who is in school or college.

Cons

The company has changed a lot in the past few years. Bottom line is hours and sales. Hours have been slowly cut to a skeleton crew. Individual employee needs/wants don't matter much. There are constantly new managers because they either quit or get fired. Store managers last an average of about a year in my experience. Assistant store managers much less. Unless you are willing to move, you won't be promoted past department head. Company is a very small company with little career opportunity. Pay scale is very behind the times. The company is very concerned about what you can do for them, but doesn't want to do much for you. Management is not very involved in employee everyday business. Employees below Assistant store managers don't have much say about what goes on in their department or in the store. Management is slack. Lazy employees are allowed to be lazy while the hard working ones burn themselves out.

Sep 16, 2014HR

Thank you for sharing your opinions about your experience here at The Fresh Market. We appreciate your comments about the managers that you have worked with, as well the growth opportunities that ... More

The Fresh Market is a great place to work, and has unlimited amount of growth!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at The Fresh Market full-time

Pros

open communication, realistic business strategy and great upper level management to work with.

Cons

development on speed of trust!

more often ask for feed back from operation.

Sep 16, 2014HR

Thank you for taking the time to right a review about your experience working at The Fresh Market. We are glad to hear that you enjoy working with us. We really strive to create and provide a ... More

Frustrating

I have been working at The Fresh Market full-time for more than a year

Pros

Learned a lot about the retail end of working in a bakery. The cooperation between different departments in my particular store is out of the world.

Cons

Management only seems to listen to negative comments about employees. The only time anyone in management has even spoken to me is when another employee would go to them and pull the "she said this" or "she did that" routine even though none of it was true. The only way you get any attention or have any chance of advancing in this company seems to be by always running to management to complain, throw a temper tantrum, or threaten to go to HR if they don't get what they want. For these people they have endless opportunities and untold hours available for them to work. For us remaining fools there is none of the above.

Pay more attention to the employees that are actually interested in doing the job they are there to do. Talk to all parties involved before you go to an employee and inform them they need to change their attitude just on the say so of one person. Find out everything about a situation before you judge certain people and then reward others.

Aug 29, 2014HR

Thank you for your comments regarding management at The Fresh Market. We encourage employees to talk to their local leaders about any concerns regarding our management staff or reach out to Human ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hilly

I worked at The Fresh Market part-time for more than a year

Pros

discounts, hours, co- workers food quality

Cons

management concerns, customer competence, location

Sep 8, 2014HR

Thank you for leaving a response about your time working at The Fresh Market. We are glad to hear that enjoyed benefits, hours and co-workers during your time with us. We will take your concerns in ... More

Outstanding company

I have been working at The Fresh Market full-time

Pros

Great work life balance except during the holidays. That's to be expected though since it is retail. Excellent advancement opportunities due to continued company growth provided you are willing to relocate.

Cons

Compensation is behind the competition. Bonus parameters are unclear. Don't know how much you can earn and when it will be paid. Some of the budget expectations are not realistic. Even though upper management listens to the concerns of its employees, they are slow to react and initiate change.

Sep 3, 2014HR

Thank you for your review about working at The Fresh Market. We’re glad you enjoy working with us. We strive to provide uniquely rewarding careers in an inclusive environment where employees can ... More

I had great times working there.

Former Employee - Deli Clerk/Cashier/Bakery/Floater  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk/Cashier/Bakery/Floater in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at The Fresh Market full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Worked with a bunch of great people. Also had some great customers. Worked with me on the hours I needed. Learned a lot about higher class food.

Cons

They don't pay what they should. They work you to death around holidays. They don't hire enough people to keep areas running smoothly.

Pay your good employees what they are worth.

Sep 4, 2014HR

Company that can not tell the truth

I have been working at The Fresh Market full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good discounts
    Great team work
    Great field management

Cons

All the home office does is spin the truth to what they want to hear. The hold meeting to talk about change but lie about what the top problems in the company are. If you ask question about fixing pay they don't even talk about it.

If you want to be a top company tell the employees the truth. The concern in the company is pay. But be honest and say we can't do anything about. That is at least being honest.

I feel indifferent, but I should've enjoyed this job...

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk
    Former Employee - Grocery Clerk

I worked at The Fresh Market part-time for less than a year

Pros

This place is a fantastic job, or at least it should be. I have a feeling that management has a lot to do with why it isn't-- because in general, the atmosphere is great. The customers are friendly and easy to get along with and are fun to help. The people working in the meat department, deli, bakery, floral, produce, and in bulk are very friendly at my store. The best part about The Fresh Market is getting to know the customers by small talk and sampling things that they otherwise would overlook--but are wanting to talk about. Most of the time, these are things such as Cotton Candy Grapes or a higher priced box of crackers that you'd eat with wine and cheese.

Directly to the point, if you sample to them, they'll buy if you feel like pitching the sale. To me this is extremely fun, and I've consistently upsold to a bunch of people. Everything from gelato, to a large in-season watermelon in produce. This puts a creative spin on retail, and in my opinion, it is the greatest thing about The Fresh Market. When it comes to product selection, there are a lot of healthy things mixed amongst not-so-healthy things, so there's something for every kind of person. I've never had a bad experience with a customer at TFM, so on an employee-to-customer level, the stresses are a bare minimum.

As a part time employee the only benefit I really notice is the 20% discount, which is great to use on meal deal days or Saturdays. As far as what kind of worker I am? I have never called out in the past six months. As far as which departments are very fun to work in? I think Bakery and Produce are great fun. If a store is outfitted with energetic people who passionately do what they do to the best of their ability--and then help others when they finish with their own work, then it makes for a great experience for everyone.

Cons

Employment at TFM falls short of perks when you are hired and are told that you will get a pay evaluation after your first 90 days, told that hours are flexible and can be what you need them to be; when for me, they were not-- and then suddenly the company changes it's policy to this. "Employees hired after March of 2014 are no longer eligible to receive a 90 days pay evaluation.' Okay. According to other employees that have been working here since this store opened--- these guys are still waiting on their year-end pay evaluation. They're going on their second year employed with TFM.

As if that were not bad enough, they hired someone with my same job description right after they hired me and are paying them a whole dollar more than what I currently make. ALL of our mop buckets are broken, and nobody ever cleans the floor machine out after using it, talking to management about this for a whole month has gotten me nowhere and I am left cleaning the machine out before I even get to use it. There is a lack of employee training at this store, they seriously hire people and don't train them for nearly a week sometimes. They're quick to put them out on the sales floor for a whole shift with nobody else that works in their department.

Also, they'll frequently put a single person out to close their department by themselves on deep cleaning days-- then gripe about how that person got too much overtime. Often enough, front end assistants will go to management and complain about other coworkers to get out of doing any work for themselves-- or just simply blame anything that they missed on the courtesy clerk. Often enough, the courtesy clerk gets paged to the front for customer assistance when they're doing something extremely important. The clerk then shows up and realizes that there's only one customer in line with three bags of produce in their cart.

The courtesy clerk returns to what he was doing and passes by a manager who then exclaims, 'Whoever did the floors in front of the walk-in entrance last night did a terrible job. There was a crushed blueberry on the floor.' Just like that, nitpicking at very little things instead of ever saying anything positive, is what many of us deal with on a day to day basis.

They'll advertise 'flexible scheduling' in their fliers and yet would not work with me and my other part time employer. I did not receive a fixed schedule the entire time I worked there and I requested it several times. Which brings me to another topic that is completely related to the responsiveness of management. All of the answers I got when I worked here were 'No we can't do that.' Or, 'I'll get around to it.' Or the famous, 'We'll hold them accountable.' or 'It will get done' and it never happens. People are leaving, mostly because they're tired of being lead on and taken advantage of.

It's more stable than many other retail employers, but this company isn't growing up well on the West coast, there are little to no signs that they are considering heading back to the west coast because of the overtime laws, and with lessening employee raises I can't support the ideology that TFM is 'growing'. They may be running low on money, which is why they never seem to have enough hours for everyone. They seem to scold the people that care about the company and tend to ignore the people that slack off. It reminds me of a certain Wallyworld experience, though I see them becoming that kind of company in the future if they continue on this path.

As for my job title? I guess I work everywhere. Grocery, Front End, Deli, Bakery, Meat Counter, Bulk... and I only get paid a dollar above minimum wage, which here, in Georgia, is $7.25. The classic music gets annoying after you realize that it's only a few tracks that they loop. I wish they'd throw in some jazz.

I know this place has the potential to be amazing, here is how I really feel:

"I really wish I would've gotten the opportunity to learn something new, I've been working grocery retail for years, and I did not want to work in the grocery department when I applied. I applied for a specialty position because I wanted to do something completely different. I held on for months, wondering if I'd ever get to work in a specialty department to learn a skilled trade. I expressed interest to management and only got told that I didn't have enough prior experience in the departments- so they couldn't place me or train me in the departments I really wanted to work in. Although I helped these departments close, I never once got to actually do a part of their workload, minus the bakery, which I got to finally help prep some pumpkin bread.'

When a company chooses not to train you based on their fear of someone messing something up, that's a crying shame. Business is not just about 'having experience', if you have the heart and the will to learn, then you can succeed. If you guys at HR want pictures of all the missteps, I can provide them. As you can tell, I really don't care about this reference because of how stressful the job was. I feel like I wasted six months of my life and I don't care how unprofessional this review seems because at this point I am fed up with retail. You're all the same, so I'm going to buy a NICE business suit, prepare a stellar resume, and go try something completely different. I don't think retail is for me.

Consider being more proactive and actually caring about employee needs. Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty, dig in with your employees, weren't you on their level at one point in your life? Why don't you lay off people that repeatedly terrorize others with their careless, lackadaisical attitudes? You're going to lose a lot of good employees if you surround them with people that don't care about the quality of their working environment or if you surround them with caustic personality types.

Sep 16, 2014HR

Thank you for your detailed response about your experience working at The Fresh Market. We do strive to provide a working environment that fosters employee growth and potential, and we will take this ... More

Company has potential to grow, but needs some restructuring.

I worked at The Fresh Market part-time

Pros

Coworkers can be friendly along with nice customers.
    Managers seem concerned about employees, but sometimes too much so with micromanaging.
    The products are amazing and the atmosphere can be fun because of the great food and giving out samples to nice
    customers.
    Good employee discount.
    Willing to work with your schedule and have nice music which seems to create positive experience for customers.
    They have amazing concept of fresh foods in deli, bakery, produce, meat, and great coffees.
    Their cultural values include not working holidays which is refreshing this day and age and should be done more often among other retailers. Other employees need to report this positive part because many retailers are not gettin it, and are disrupting employees' work life balance. Fresh market is THE ONLY one who realizes the importance of letting people off holiday to be with family. However, none of retailers seem to realize that having Sundays off too would be great. As a young person this is a great obstacle that my parents did not have to deal with and it paints not as hopeful a vision for young people as it could be and I wish more retailers would stand up for this the way Fresh maarket does.
    Have good customer service training on how to serve customers well and they do care.
    They originally started out with a positive mission of treating employees well and justly compensating them.However, they need to fine tune this part of it. I understand problems occurred when company went publicly traded and became numbers only style. With some thought and prayer, they could redirect company back to its original mission and come out ahead in the competitive industry. They could give more money to charitable causes and more food as well.

Cons

They could up their employee discount and benefits.
    They could make use of a union or third party HR to help ensure employee concerns are heard more readily, because it seems as if the customer is the only on e very impressed with the Fresh Market while employees are not rating them so highly, from what I've read, at least in certain areas. Some of these areas include need better pay and raises. along with cleaner stores and better equipment.
    They could pay experienced people more and stop giving front end assistant managers this title with no experience ( who are young and are often the source of a lot of problems because they are getting paid more than experienced workers.)an inch so they'll take a mile like children do. .This encourages them to misuse their perceived authority over older experienced and wonderful workers. This creates store wide drama and nonsense. The managers often lack objectivity because of all of their unnecessary talking with front end asst managers and no doubt favoritism.
    Dress code is also inappropriate as I have seen employees in tight shorts above the knee while they are standing, which would no doubt give off the "Daisy Duke "effect when they sat down as they would ride up high on the leg and become short shorts when they sat down. This might be ok for a waitress in a hot area like Florida, but is usually considered inappropriate elsewhere., which also raises a Red Flag as to what other inappropriate stuff is going on in the store among certain employees, since there is so much secrecy. An open customer service desk to the public would be helpful and would bring secret disfunction out into the open, as well as better serve the customer who would not have to stand in line so long while waiting.

In order to grow in the competitive grocery field, consider above mentioned advice on restructuring policies ,and know that standards should come from the top (experienced ) down instead of the bottom up. While there are many positive above mentioned aspects on the company, it seems as if many employees are reporting serious issues from stores all over the country and not one location. These issues also have a common theme of favoritism to youn g and inexperienced and other serious issues. So , it is time to do something about it and past time, and hopefully not too late. It may involve renaming the company Fresh Foods which sounds nicer tha n Fresh Market , and keeping on board managers and corporate people who are positively growth minded and really observing who is at corporate and in store manage
    ment. One bad apple tries to spoil the barrel. Also, enforce dress code of no short shorts and they must be to the knee or lower when standing because you know that when they sit down they will shorten.This gives off a silly image and you should know that this kind of mission will not stand the test of time. Company has great products and original mission and with thought and prayer can be a successful contributor like Whole Foods, Kroger, Publix, etc..

Your cut and paste response to reviews tell the story.

Current Employee - Hourly Employee  in  West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Hourly Employee in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at The Fresh Market full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most long term employees do their best to make the store successful.The discount is nice, especially on sale items.

Cons

There are very many most have been stated several times in other reviews. Pay is out of line, period. Any unbiased comprehensive research that compares WFM, Publix etc pay rates (and benefits) for similar jobs to TFM would surely indicate this.

The company is so focused on the bottom line and meeting wall street expectations, that nothing else seems to matter. You can cut expenses only so much before the business suffers. You have already cut them too much. You cannot measure the customers we lose and the carts full of merchandise walked away from and the disgruntled faces of customers when they wait in line after line. But measuring payroll hours is easy.Take the time to absorb the many comments employees are making to you because most are right on target and are provided by your team mates and foot solderers that care and want to see things improve. I want the company to succeed, but you are slowly losing ground in a very competitive industry with new competition buzzing around the chain on a daily basis. Hard times require hard measures and cost cutting alone will not be successful in the long run,. You need to develop a balanced approach to meet the increasing difficult and competitive landscape you will be challenged by for the foreseeable future. This is not an easy task. Under-staffing stores and not adequately spending money on repairs and or replacement of equipment will only worsen the issues that face TFM, maybe not this quarter but very soon.

And lastly please make an adequate effort to respond to the employee who wrote from the heart to report very serious issues. Cutting and pasting about 4 different predetermined generic responses do not really address the concerns. I know the intentions are good, but the result is that "I have been blown off again'

Sep 8, 2014HR

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment about your experience working at The Fresh Market. We are sorry that you feel compensation and the cost cutting measures have hurt not only our ... More

Worked for The Fresh Market? Contribute to the Community!