The Fresh Market

Updated December 17, 2014
2.5

The Fresh Market President and CEO Craig Carlock
Craig Carlock

Pros
  • The best thing about working for them is 20% discount on food (in 54 reviews)

• Employee discount program is excellent - 20% to start and it goes up with more tenure (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Store managers last an average of about a year in my experience (in 31 reviews)

• Upper Management/Home office have no clue what goes on in stores (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

The fresh market is the best place to work

Current Employee - Baker in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Current Employee - Baker in Myrtle Beach, SC

I have been working at The Fresh Market

Pros

Awesome place to work. Management and corporate really cares about it's employees. I am a current employee and hope to be for many more years to come.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any.

Keep doing what you're doing putting employees first. Can honestly say the best job i have ever had.

Great Place to Build a Career and Future

I have been working at The Fresh Market full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The Fresh Market offers excellent opportunities for advancement both personally and professionally. The Fresh Market has provided the genuine opportunity for me to achieve many of my professional aspirations while leaving room to keep growing and improving. I could truly work many places, however I choose to have a career at The Fresh market. There is not a single portion of my professional journey here at The Fresh Market that I would change. There are very few companies like The Fresh Market where the CEO knows you on first name basis and can be engaging on a personal and professional level with genuine interest, candor and warmth.

Cons

As with all companies focused on growth and expansion, The Fresh Market is still defining both what is today and what it will be in the future.

My advice to management is to remain cognizant of the feedback offered at all levels of the organization.

Overall great place to work

Current Employee - Operations Management Recruiter in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Operations Management Recruiter in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at The Fresh Market full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Promotional Opportunity
    Great People
    Family Atmosphere
    Generous Discount
    Company focused on making changes

Cons

Pay
    Inconsistent views of District Managers with what makes a great leader
    Recognition should be improved
    While diversity has improved, inclusion still needs work. This is about educating people on how to ensure they are including the diverse backgrounds and ideas to impact the store and company.

Take time and get into the stores, share more with the employees of what you are doing, directly to impact their work environment.

A Great Learning Opportunity and Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at The Fresh Market full-time

Pros

From my experience, I have enjoyed my time working here at The Fresh Market. One of the biggest reasons is due to the people that I work with. Never have I been not just a part of a team, but a company that genuinely cares about each other. How many companies are out there where the CEO not only knows you by name, but remembers your last conversation and actually cares about how your are doing? And the team I work with now is by far the best team I have ever worked with in my entire career. The passion and drive to do not only their job, but what is right is just outstanding, and it makes me want to be a better person. I always know without a doubt the my team will be there to support me and each other if any of us ever needed help. Also, I have the ability to try new things and actually use my creativity and ideas on a daily basis which, to be honest, gives me a sense not only of accomplishment, but the feeling of "putting my stamp" on something. And, of course, the 20% discount is nice too.

Cons

As with any company, there will always be some areas if improvement. The company is in a great growth stage right now, but they are growing out of their support base. Staff is light in the field and at the corporate office and, if the company plans to grow at a rate they are going, they will need to spend the money in order to support it. Compensation in some areas are also below the average and below what competitors pay as well.

Spend some more time in the field, increase the compensation packages(pay, time off, etc), and invest more money in technology that can automate basic tasks that individuals do on a daily basis. This will save money in the long run.

Dec 16, 2014HR

We are glad to hear that you have enjoyed your time working at The Fresh Market! As a company, we do strive to help our employees grow both professionally and personally, and we are glad to hear that ... More

The Fresh Market, a small competitive and growing upscale speciality market.

Former Employee - Assist Bakery Manager
    Former Employee - Assist Bakery Manager

I worked at The Fresh Market

Pros

Benefits were good and training was on the job with a knowledgeable FM employee who had been with the company for awhile and who knew the FM regulations and policies. I loved the smallness of the Market as it made a closeness with the other department employees and The FM customers.

Cons

Overwhelming at times with not enough help and so much to do at close. Pay could have been much better because of that factor.

Get your good workers the help they need and pay them well because they are taking care of you and making you look good and the store look good.

Great team and great place of employment

Current Employee - Deli Employee in Southern Pines, NC
    Current Employee - Deli Employee in Southern Pines, NC

I have been working at The Fresh Market

Pros

Good location, great atmosphere, great customers

Cons

Turnover rate not good, some dept managers not team players/team builder's

Encourage teamwork

Dec 10, 2014HR

We are glad to hear you have enjoyed working at The Fresh Market! We try to keep a working environment where people can thrive and grow in their career and in their own lives as well. ~TFM

Having a great experience

Current Employee - Baker
    Current Employee - Baker

I have been working at The Fresh Market

Pros

Fun coworkers, travel to open new stores

Cons

Hard to advance within company

Take the time to really get to know people who want to advance.

Dec 10, 2014HR

We are happy to hear that you have found The Fresh Market a great place to work, and thank you for taking the time to leave a review! ~TFM

Meatcuter

Former Employee - Meatcuter in Southern Pines, NC
    Former Employee - Meatcuter in Southern Pines, NC

I worked at The Fresh Market full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good place to work. Allows you to make overtime. , good benefits .

Cons

Pay increases were always retroactive.

Lighting too dim, too cluttered

Dec 8, 2014HR

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with at The Fresh Market, and that you have enjoyed the benefits, compensation, and the employees that you have worked with. ~TFM

It's an ok place to work

Current Employee - Meat Cutter in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Meat Cutter in Cary, NC

I have been working at The Fresh Market full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most coworkers are friendly and helpful
    20% off all store purchases, not including alcohol
    Typically easy to get days requested off as long as your department is adequately staffed
    High turnover had the benefit of opening up opportunities for advancement and growth into other positions

Cons

Lots of turnover
    Not the most competitive pay rates
    Helpfulness and effectiveness of management is hit or miss

Dec 8, 2014HR

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about you current experience working at The Fresh Market. We are glad to hear that you feel the your coworkers are friendly, the discount is a plus ... More

Sometimes, its a pretty cool job

Current Employee - Cashier in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Cashier in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at The Fresh Market part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It pays better than alot of stores in this area.

Cons

Favoritism. Management needs to stop throwing people under the bus when they are having a bad day. The hours need to be based on work needing to be done and not sales. Deli is always a mess because of this. Managers have too much power without having checks on their power. Hours are hard to come by.

Stop running off good workers. You get a talented staff and things are going good. Then you have a bad day and start throwing the talent under the bus. They get upset and leave. Then we get in a mess and hire the first person. They are 10 times worse than the minor flaws the others had. You need to respect talent. No, We should not tolerate Pre Maddonas, but a big part of being an adult is acting with your mind and not your heart. The long term may take longer but is always way better. Stop focusing on the now. Focus on building for the future.