The Gap

Updated Jul 21, 2014

3.4 1,502 reviews

The Gap Chairman and CEO Glenn K. Murphy

Glenn K. Murphy

Pros
  • Gap has an extensive training program and meets everyone's work-life balance well(in 82 reviews)

• Good pay compared to other retail companies, along with good employee discount(in 162 reviews)

Cons
  • If you are looking for work/life balance then this could be the worst place to work(in 38 reviews)

• Constant pressure to aggravate guests with credit cards(in 87 reviews)

1,502 Employee Reviews

Very political and slow moving

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Proswork-life balance, location, discount, reputation

ConsLack of strategy and clear decision making

Sales Associate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFast paced, team oriented and depending on the location you usually get good managers.

ConsThey will give you 30 hours one week and the next week 0 and so on.... Left me bankrupt

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fair with the weekly distribuition of hours to employees.

Sales associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

Pros-Great discount, includes Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, and factory/outlet stores
    -Love the people
    -Good-quality clothing that lasts a long time

Cons-Management hires way too many people--> not enough hours for everyone
    -Isn't very willing to work with employees who have second jobs because they don't give them enough hours to begin with
    -On your feet entire shift

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more willing to work with employees who have more than one job.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Could be MUCH better

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Bellport, NY

Prosworking with great co-workers of course

Consscheduling is horrible
    they want you to work for them and only them even if you need a second job for personal reasons

Advice to Senior Managementtry and hire people that actually care about the company but not so much that they don't care about the employees either.

Great promise but, ...

ProsEmployee discount is decent. Not great.

ConsThe Cons depends on your department.

Advice to Senior ManagementStudy the statistics of where employee turnover is high and change department heads.

For the Sales Associate, it all depends on the store (and who leads it) in order to enjoy the experience.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsAbility to transfer at ease, strong structure, historically successful, opportunities for future positions, excellent perks for long-time employees, and some stores are very solid from top to bottom.

ConsCredit Card basis for success, some terrible management issues (depending on certain store), lack of accountability, certain regions lack successful district managers, inability to hire at will, lack of promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst of all, I believe it is a store-by-store basis for enjoying the work you do for this company. That being said, I loved the Louisville, KY store I was at. I actually helped out both stores, and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience at both. They both take time to train employees, rally them in, and allow them the opportunity to make and create their own schedules. There is a trust there that is really quite great and success was not entirely based on credit cards.

That being said, the Gap store I worked for in Chicago was terrible from top to bottom. Endless amount of revolving door managers, a lack of a listening ear at the very top of the district, terrible training of new employees, an inability to hire at will, and truly a culture based on credit cards being the success point were all issues I had with the Chicago area. They have a employees-to-customer ratio that is pitiful, and very rarely do the managers seem to care enough about solving the problem.

Pay more attention to the Chicago district! Look at how the Louisville district succeeds; there is clearly a differential and it's a shame.

Probably the best choice I've made in my career.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsI love working at Gap Outlet. I was recruited in store and was hired and finished training all within the same week. I worked closely with management and in less than a year was promoted. The managment works very hard in developing the employees skills in any area they're interested in. The pay started out good, and I was surprised by the great pay increase the promotion got me. You get 50% off at retail stores, 30% off at factory and outlets and 25% off at old navy. It's a very upbeat and fast-paced environment. They employees look out for one another and management is always supportive in employee and customer quarrels. They dedicate their time and resources to community service and my store always has something fun planned that employees can participate in. Very flexable with my crazy schedule. Training is breif because they believe in on-the-job training (which actually helped more then I thought it would.) I love my co-workers, managers, and the company in general!

ConsAs with any job, there will be cons. Some employees are so awful, but luckaly they don't last very long. The customers are hit and miss, but again that is something that anyone should expect from retail. People complain that their focus should not be on the Gap Card (the brand Credit Card that helps drive in business) but it's not that hard to get a card and the employees are VERY wonderful about "sharing" or "giving" their cards to others who had yet to open their required one for the month. Other then that, no negatives!

It's as great place to work but there is no room for growth.

ProsThe hours very th y flexible.

ConsNo encouragement to go further.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncouragement and support for your employees will build a better moral. This will bring forth sales results.

Great flexibility. Ok pay. Varies by department and manager.

Anonymous (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsROWE culture is great! Flexibility at corporate office and ability to work remote. Casual dress code and decent bonus payments.

ConsTraining budget can get cut. High workloads and head count reductions. Corporate politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementConflicting messages- budget cuts and hiring freezes while raising minimum wage for stores.

Ever changing role in the field. Keeping up with the speed of retail

Assistant Brand Merchandising Manager (Current Employee)

ProsTenure in employees, partnering with peers, still learning, flexible schedule, love the people that I work with on a daily basis, jeans, shorts and flip flops.

ConsConstantly changing to meet the market needs of the business. Upper management structure changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave always loved the culture at Gap. Has changed quite a bit in the last few years. I don't think Donald would like the direction that his company is moving in. He had a love for the employees, especially those who performed in their locations. Was lucky enough to meet him on a couple different occasions. Still love the job that I do for the company.

Worked for The Gap? Contribute to the Community!