The Gap

Updated Jul 26, 2014

3.4 1,510 reviews

The Gap Chairman and CEO Glenn K. Murphy

Glenn K. Murphy

Pros
  • Gap has an extensive training program and meets everyone's work-life balance well(in 82 reviews)

• Good pay compared to other retail companies, along with good employee discount(in 163 reviews)

Cons
  • If you are looking for work/life balance then this could be the worst place to work(in 39 reviews)

• Constant pressure to aggravate guests with credit cards(in 87 reviews)

1,510 Employee Reviews

Great place to work if you have the right GM.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey love internal hires. I started out as an associate and worked my way up. I stayed with the company for six years, and I would consider going back to corporate because I know they take care of their employees. GREAT benefits, paid time off, and all-in-all an easy work environment for the type of job it is.

ConsThe wrong general manager (GM) can absolutely kill the work environment. I've had good GMs and terrible GMs. The problem: nobody wants to admit there's a problem! At the last store I was at, the turnover rate reached 95% within three months because the GM was so bad. As a group, the assistant managers and key holders went to the district manager (DM) about the issues with the GM. The higher up you go though, the less you'll get done. The DM did nothing, and everyone continued to quit. I finally had to step away after six years, and it was a real shame.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. When we say the GM is bad, we mean it!

Great place to work !!

Customer Experience Manager (Former Employee) San Juan, PR

ProsGreat Compensation, benefits and Growth Culture

ConsI dont really have a cons

Probably the best choice I've made in my career.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsI love working at Gap Outlet. I was recruited in store and was hired and finished training all within the same week. I worked closely with management and in less than a year was promoted. The managment works very hard in developing the employees skills in any area they're interested in. The pay started out good, and I was surprised by the great pay increase the promotion got me. You get 50% off at retail stores, 30% off at factory and outlets and 25% off at old navy. It's a very upbeat and fast-paced environment. They employees look out for one another and management is always supportive in employee and customer quarrels. They dedicate their time and resources to community service and my store always has something fun planned that employees can participate in. Very flexable with my crazy schedule. Training is breif because they believe in on-the-job training (which actually helped more then I thought it would.) I love my co-workers, managers, and the company in general!

ConsAs with any job, there will be cons. Some employees are so awful, but luckaly they don't last very long. The customers are hit and miss, but again that is something that anyone should expect from retail. People complain that their focus should not be on the Gap Card (the brand Credit Card that helps drive in business) but it's not that hard to get a card and the employees are VERY wonderful about "sharing" or "giving" their cards to others who had yet to open their required one for the month. Other then that, no negatives!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's as great place to work but there is no room for growth.

ProsThe hours very th y flexible.

ConsNo encouragement to go further.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncouragement and support for your employees will build a better moral. This will bring forth sales results.

Great flexibility. Ok pay. Varies by department and manager.

Anonymous (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsROWE culture is great! Flexibility at corporate office and ability to work remote. Casual dress code and decent bonus payments.

ConsTraining budget can get cut. High workloads and head count reductions. Corporate politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementConflicting messages- budget cuts and hiring freezes while raising minimum wage for stores.

Ever changing role in the field. Keeping up with the speed of retail

Assistant Brand Merchandising Manager (Current Employee)

ProsTenure in employees, partnering with peers, still learning, flexible schedule, love the people that I work with on a daily basis, jeans, shorts and flip flops.

ConsConstantly changing to meet the market needs of the business. Upper management structure changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave always loved the culture at Gap. Has changed quite a bit in the last few years. I don't think Donald would like the direction that his company is moving in. He had a love for the employees, especially those who performed in their locations. Was lucky enough to meet him on a couple different occasions. Still love the job that I do for the company.

Excellent company to work! The company really takes care of their employees.

ProsIt is like a big family family. Very rewarding....they really care about your development and will help you grow by working on your areas of opportunity. Excellent benefits, discounts..etc.

ConsNo place to move to the next level in Loss prevention....may have to leave a great company in order to move up to the next level.

Great Place to Work

Associate Manager of Visual Merchandising (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Proscompensation, ethical company, committed to professional development

Consextremely heavy workload, lots of 911s

Gap - the perfect company for professional growth! Be professional, creative, and have fun at the same time!

ProsGap has an extensive training program and meets everyone's work-life balance well!

ConsIf you are not used to fast-paced companies this can be challenging!

Sales Associate

Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) West Palm Beach, FL

ProsEmployee discount is great, flexibility with schedules and time-off, opportunity to explore various areas of the things needed to do in store.

ConsIt's retail, so the hours aren't so great, and there is definitely no room for improvement within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally listen to your team, and make sure that you consider their standpoint. A lot of people have been in the company for years wanting to move up the scale onto something better & to pursue a career.

Worked for The Gap? Contribute to the Community!