The Gap

The Gap Reviews in New York, NY

Updated Jul 29, 2014

The Gap Chairman and CEO Glenn K. Murphy

Glenn K. Murphy

Pros
  • Gap has an extensive training program and meets everyone's work-life balance well (in 82 reviews)

• Good pay compared to other retail companies, along with good employee discount (in 163 reviews)

Cons
  • If you are looking for work/life balance then this could be the worst place to work (in 39 reviews)

• Constant pressure to aggravate guests with credit cards (in 87 reviews)

More Highlights
92 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company, great discount

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsEverything about this company was awesome... only if they paid a bit more.

ConsBlack friday is a killer

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Nice people very corporate

Textile Designer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsPeople are nice,work environment good,freelance workers are treated well by fellow designers and management.Good constructive feedback about work,and once you have worked with them on a project they will think about you for many others.

ConsPay for freelancers could be a little better,very corporate ,good if like belonging to a big corporation,not so good if need creative stimuli around you.

I work at Athleta, a brand owned by Gap, and I am very satisfied with my experience as a Sales Associate.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsMy managers are extremely supportive, I make a decent wage and enjoy helping women find fitness clothes that make them feel good about themselves.

ConsAs with any retail job, working with the public requires a great deal of patience and understanding that not everyone will be polite and appreciate your work.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy store's associates are an exceptionally talented group of people. Many are college educated, artistic, creative and hardworking. I think our talents can be better utilized if we were to be given more autonomy in designing and participating in trainings, traffic drivers, store events, etc.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

sales associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat group environment and able to create great work relationships with the other employees.

Conslong hours especially night shifts.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe respectable and they will consider anything you bring to their attention

bittersweet , rollercoaster ride up & down

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prospositive environment AT TIMES. styling events were fun . the discount is amazing and the sales are also great

ConsWhen it wasnt positive vibes it was BAD vibes management doesnt really listen to employees. they'll have an ear open but wont follow

Working for The Gap

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe work culture is good. You get good benefits such as the 401k which the company matches up to 4%. You get 30 percent off everything and 50 percent off 6 regular items. The work-life balance is also good. They are very understanding when it comes to rearranging your schedule for school or family related reasons.

ConsIt can get really irritating if you are a sales associate and you're not hitting your goal for opening credit accounts with customers.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

The company isn't that loyal to employees, which are the backbone of the organization

Sales Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosfifty percent discount, flexible hours,

ConsNot that many hours, the company hires way too many staff

Average experience

Gap Sales Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsFriendly coworkers and flexible shifts. Good seasonal part-time job...

ConsLow pay. Sometimes I didn't understand how few employees are so lazy...

Title obsessed management

Designer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsRebekah Bay creative director. Great pool of talent and up and coming designers.

ConsThe tone everyone uses to talk to one another. People are obsessed with their title and think it is acceptable to talk down to someone. HR was disappointing to deal with as offered no problem solving when I approached them after being bullied by my director

Advice to Senior ManagementZero tolerance to bullying. We teach our kids that it is unacceptable in the schoolyard yet in the workplace it is?

First retail job, wasn't that bad just kept you busy most of the time.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros-Kept you on your feet
    -Friendly co-workers
    -Good Pay for a first time job

Cons-Sloppy store due to customers not knowing how to actually shop
    -Fast paced
    -Schedule is horrible

Advice to Senior Management-Try to think about people who are first time workers and or students who are looking for work.

Worked for The Gap? Contribute to the Community!