The Gap Reviews

3.5
1,590 Reviews

The Gap Chairman and CEO Glenn K. Murphy
Glenn K. Murphy

Pros
  • Gap has an extensive training program and meets everyone's work-life balance well (in 82 reviews)

• Good pay compared to other retail companies, along with good employee discount (in 163 reviews)

Cons
  • If you are looking for work/life balance then this could be the worst place to work (in 39 reviews)

• Constant pressure to aggravate guests with credit cards (in 87 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for!!! They promote from within the company quite rapidly, if you're performance is up to par.

Current Employee - Visual Merchandising Supervisor  in  Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Visual Merchandising Supervisor in Louisville, KY

I have been working at The Gap full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is a strong chance you would be promoted at the Gap, as they are a large corporation. Including Banana Republic and Old Navy retailers. Pleasant, but fast paced environment to work in.

Cons

There are no benefits given to part-time employees, which is unfortunate because the only way to attain full-time employment is to become a manager or be hired in as one.

Gap, Inc. is over-saturated with managers. There are so many managers that they begin to micro-manage everything. This type of management works in some environments, however, not at a International Retailer. Employees quit and become frustrated at the fact that someone is constantly standing over their shoulder delegating duties.

Love Gap!

Former Employee - Gap Sales Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Gap Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Gap part-time for less than a year

Pros

The Gap store I worked at had a great environment, both for the customers and the employees. There was a huge focus on fun, creativity, and hard work that really made it an enjoyable place to work. I had great coworkers and managers.

Cons

Weekly hours were never very consistent, both too many or too few, and often it was difficult to exchange shifts.

Fast growing company with friendly employees

Current Employee - Industrial Engineer
    Current Employee - Industrial Engineer

I have been working at The Gap full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

For the most part, they are flexible with time off. Especially after you're been there for a year. They are very concerned about employees well being and they're invested in health and welness. Everyone is friendly and

Cons

The structure of manangement is not effective. There have been several restructures to the management of the organization and it created confusion with goal setting and task management. There are very weak ties between upper management and task assignments are not given. There is no clear options for promotion within the company. Applying to other jobs within the company is almost frowned upon, or at least never discussed.

Deliver clear expectations. Encourage exploration of other areas of promotion.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

typical retail job

I have been working at The Gap

Pros

the discount is pretty good

Cons

it is hard to get enough hours

Associate Production Manager

Current Employee - Associate Production Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Production Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The Gap full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible schedule provides a good work life balance, company is very involved with the community

Cons

Salary may not be up to par with the amount of work that is done on a daily basis compared to similar companies.

Great Company!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Gap full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic benefits that start immediately upon hire. They recently implemented ROWE: Results Only Work Environment which is extremely progressive and is conducive to being happier at work and in life in general. I loved my time there and I appreciate all that I was able to learn and contribute to the company.

Cons

Some of the higher up executives don't have much experience in fashion and are more business/numbers oriented, which detracts from achieving the highest design quality and productivity for employees. It was a hindrance in many ways, including fully understanding the needs of the employees in order to turn out the best product possible. Other than that it was great.

Able to move across functions and brands

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The Gap full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

People are young go-getters and like to drive results; vibrant culture; location is awesome if you're at 2 Folsom or 1 Harrison; great discount on product;

Cons

Salary not the highest; can be clicky; new bonus structure doesn't guarantee a payout and is too dependent on financial results....

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Mays Landing, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Mays Landing, NJ

I have been working at The Gap part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Awesome employee discount and great flexibility with hours. I enjoyed my time working with the Gap's other great employees. The starting wage is good and if you work hard, it is valued and recognized by store leadership.

Cons

Constantly pressured to push Gap credit cards creating, at times, uncomfortable situations. Sometimes scheduling issues left an employee overworked trying to manage the entire store with little help.

Sometimes it's worth scheduling additional staff so the store looks its best.

I enjoy working there

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Gap part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible with availability, good discounts at three companies, Gap perks program to get more discounts

Cons

None that I can think of

Old Navy Canada

Current Employee - Manager of Product and Market Strategy  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager of Product and Market Strategy in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The Gap full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Get the feel of a small company within a larger public corporation.
    Fun, quirky, atmosphere.

Cons

Many redundancies in systems.
    Issues with multiple systems across the product pipeline
    Constant turnover resulting in frequent holes in team

Need for streamlining of more processes.

Worked for The Gap? Contribute to the Community!