The Gap Reviews

3.5
1,613 Reviews

The Gap Chairman and CEO Glenn K. Murphy
Glenn K. Murphy

Pros
  • Gap has an extensive training program and meets everyone's work-life balance well (in 87 reviews)

• Good pay compared to other retail companies, along with good employee discount (in 174 reviews)

Cons
  • If you are looking for work/life balance then this could be the worst place to work (in 44 reviews)

• Constant pressure to aggravate guests with credit cards (in 99 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company for first job

Current Employee - Inventory Planner  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Inventory Planner in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The Gap full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

(corporate) They have great opportunities for promotions if you are motivated, the culture at HQ is very laid back and a younger crowd (mid 20s/early 30's majority). The pay is solid and the benefits are great including the discount but also trips to giants games annually and other random fun events. They have a results only work environment which enables you to work remote often and have whatever schedule works best for you (at Gap Brand specifically)

Cons

There has been a lot of turnover at the senior leadership level over the past couple of years and it makes for a constant changing of directions. Some leaders tend to spend too much time micro managing smaller details that would be better left to people underneath them. promotional requirements will vary depending on which managers you work under which isn't always in your favor.

Great Company to start out with!

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I have been working at The Gap part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Really nice employee discount. Flexible schedule, they work around your hours, Great for students. You are able to request transfers to other Gap locations to fulfill your convenience. Great first job!

Cons

The hours very, I mean that's retail for you. The majority of employees at my store are part-time. It seems as if they never offer full-time positions unless you work there for 15+ years! You are offered extended shifts but you don't get the benefits of a full-time employee. NO OPPORTUNITY unless you're favored or been at that store for 15+ years, the majority of the time, not even then.

Great company but there is literally no opportunity to grow forward with the company, especially if your just a sales associate.

Great place to work during college.

Former Employee - Sales Associate (Brand)  in  Towson, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate (Brand) in Towson, MD

I worked at The Gap part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good employee discount, nice staff, pretty lenient dress code and a fun work environment.

Cons

Not much room for moving up. Also hated the holiday season, they expected a lot hours to be worked during finals.

More perks would be nice.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good overall workplace atmosphere, management and associates always seem to get along

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at The Gap part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible Scheduling, Friendly management group

Cons

Product quality began to diminish

hire people you truly want to see succeed instead of marginalizing a worker through shift reductions. It was disheartening seeing coworkers just simply get phased out with shift reductions only to see mine and other associates hours increase.

Love Gap Inc

I have been working at The Gap

Pros

benefits, discount. environment, work-life balance, location

Cons

retail industry, type of work, corporate culture

Discount is the best part

I worked at The Gap part-time

Pros

Getting 50% off at Gap and Banana Republic, plus discounts at Piperlime, Athleta, and more was incredible.

Cons

I hated having the push the Gap card even though I knew it was a bogus deal.

Great place to start your career

Former Employee - Visual Merchandising Manager  in  Canoga Park, CA
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandising Manager in Canoga Park, CA

I worked at The Gap full-time for more than a year

Pros

great place to start your career. I started out at the company and it helped get me into the door of other great retailers. I would have stayed at the Gap but was recruited and was offered a great position that I couldn't turn down

Cons

no negatives on leadership, company values etc... Regional management could have been a bit more engaging with staff other than Store Management.

Great company to work for!!! They promote from within the company quite rapidly, if you're performance is up to par.

Current Employee - Visual Merchandising Supervisor  in  Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Visual Merchandising Supervisor in Louisville, KY

I have been working at The Gap full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is a strong chance you would be promoted at the Gap, as they are a large corporation. Including Banana Republic and Old Navy retailers. Pleasant, but fast paced environment to work in.

Cons

There are no benefits given to part-time employees, which is unfortunate because the only way to attain full-time employment is to become a manager or be hired in as one.

Gap, Inc. is over-saturated with managers. There are so many managers that they begin to micro-manage everything. This type of management works in some environments, however, not at a International Retailer. Employees quit and become frustrated at the fact that someone is constantly standing over their shoulder delegating duties.

Love Gap!

Former Employee - Gap Sales Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Gap Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Gap part-time for less than a year

Pros

The Gap store I worked at had a great environment, both for the customers and the employees. There was a huge focus on fun, creativity, and hard work that really made it an enjoyable place to work. I had great coworkers and managers.

Cons

Weekly hours were never very consistent, both too many or too few, and often it was difficult to exchange shifts.

Fast growing company with friendly employees

Current Employee - Industrial Engineer
    Current Employee - Industrial Engineer

I have been working at The Gap full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

For the most part, they are flexible with time off. Especially after you're been there for a year. They are very concerned about employees well being and they're invested in health and welness. Everyone is friendly and

Cons

The structure of manangement is not effective. There have been several restructures to the management of the organization and it created confusion with goal setting and task management. There are very weak ties between upper management and task assignments are not given. There is no clear options for promotion within the company. Applying to other jobs within the company is almost frowned upon, or at least never discussed.

Deliver clear expectations. Encourage exploration of other areas of promotion.

Worked for The Gap? Contribute to the Community!