The Gap

Updated Jul 23, 2014

3.4 1,504 reviews

The Gap Chairman and CEO Glenn K. Murphy

Glenn K. Murphy

Pros
  • Gap has an extensive training program and meets everyone's work-life balance well(in 82 reviews)

• Good pay compared to other retail companies, along with good employee discount(in 162 reviews)

Cons
  • If you are looking for work/life balance then this could be the worst place to work(in 38 reviews)

• Constant pressure to aggravate guests with credit cards(in 87 reviews)

1,504 Employee Reviews

2nd time around and still good

Inventory Planning Analyst (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat work environment, great teamwork approach, career development is great, training is the best and always available, ROWE is a great perk

Conswork-life balance can be difficult, if leadership changes their mind it's expected to make changes regardless of the original plans that were set in place and if it doesn't work out, it ends up being something we did wrong

Advice to Senior Managementmore group outings to promote teamwork across all teams instead of immediate teams. there's no sense of true teamwork across brands.

sales associate

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Brookline, MA

Prosgreat discount on clothes, great atmosphere to work in, interesting customers, great opportunity to practice customer service skills

Consthere are really no cons for this company

Loved It!!!

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsDiscount the managers were very helpful.

ConsNone really. Loved working there

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Part-Time Job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPeople were friendly, good to work with.

ConsThe usual challenges of working in retail and dealing with difficult customers.

Salary Positions

Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) Fishkill, NY

ProsGood pay and great benefits

ConsNo work life balance. Work a lot of hours and there's no relief or care about the hours we work!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop delegating all your work and be more a part of the team to help resolve issues. Stop using the excuse of this is development for you.

Great

Prosgood people, good pay, great company.

ConsI have no cons, its a great company

The Gap ROCKS!

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThis company really takes care of, and invests in their employees. They also do a lot to support their community.They offer lots of employee incentives throughout the year, and offer perks for those who go above and beyond their job requiremnts.

ConsThey seem to expect a lot of work with little staff to complete the work. They run short staffed a lot of the time which leads to poor customer service. They "push" their credit card on the customer and hammer in to their employees to push the card way to much.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more interest in your people, they matter! Take time to train and develop those employed before ging to outside resources to fill open or upcoming positions. This company stresses the importance of the employee, but sometimes does not follow through with their own core values.

Returning Former Employee

Customer Service Consultant (Current Employee) Grove City, OH

Prosflexible, easy work, great discounts

Conscant think of any at this time

A roller coaster style learning adventure.

Store Manager (Former Employee) Tulsa, OK

ProsThey will teach you and help you grow. They are interested in seeing you grow and have a great life.

ConsThe inability to control customers from stealing.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

Great time working here overall.

Supervisor (Former Employee)

ProsPay was good and bonuses were decent. Good benefits package. Great discount that came in handy for my kids clothes.

ConsSchedule was conflicting too often. Management was stubborn at times. Vacation requests could have been handled a lot better.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to advise and suggestions from your workers. It will pay off if you work as a unified team. High morale equals better production.

Worked for The Gap? Contribute to the Community!