The Gap Reviews

3.5
1,572 Reviews

The Gap Chairman and CEO Glenn K. Murphy
Glenn K. Murphy

Pros
  • Gap has an extensive training program and meets everyone's work-life balance well (in 82 reviews)

• Good pay compared to other retail companies, along with good employee discount (in 163 reviews)

Cons
  • If you are looking for work/life balance then this could be the worst place to work (in 39 reviews)

• Constant pressure to aggravate guests with credit cards (in 87 reviews)

More Highlights

The Gap is a company that will give as many hours as you ask for.

Current Employee - Gap Sales Associate  in  Franklin, TN
    Current Employee - Gap Sales Associate in Franklin, TN

I have been working at The Gap part-time for less than a year

Pros

The hours are always available.

Cons

Once you start working a high volume of hours it is hard to reduce.

Do not schedule marketing hours and next day shipment! I would get off around 11:15pm on Sunday and have to return to work at 5:45am.

Pleasantly chaotic!

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at The Gap part-time for less than a year

Pros

All managers and employees are excellent personalities. Ive never had a bad day here.

Cons

Scheduling! Employees only get 1-3 days a week (4-15hrs TOTAL). 4 employees working when realistically there needs to more employees on the sales floor during standard busy hours and days.

Reconfigure the hours to employees. Sometimes paying 2 more employees to work is better than having the store look like Wal-Mart and customers unattended :-)

Used to be great

I have been working at The Gap

Pros

Employee discount is amazing, flexible scheduling for part-timers, decent starting wages

Cons

Poor development and training programs, extremely low payroll, customer service is first to go during low sales, once you get to management it is extremely high pressure compared to pay

More opportunities for growth in sales associates, don't sacrifice payroll during crunch times, put more emphasis on customer service

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at The Gap part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Sales experience, meeting new people, goal-oriented, fashion-forward, customer service oriented, flexible schedule, low but decent pay, long shifts and more hours usually

Cons

Selling is brutal sometimes, customers often don't treat you well, unrealistic credit card sales goals, questionable manufacturing operations, not much room for career growth

loved the clothes and the people I worked with

Former Employee - Stock Supervisor
    Former Employee - Stock Supervisor

I worked at The Gap full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

always busy. great affordable clothes.

Cons

too many promos. hard to keep up with the daily signage as the promos change daily.

get out of the office and work.

Great People, Great Benefits, Fun atmosphere!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The Gap full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working at Gap gave me to opportunity to working with amazing people and a chance to advance in my career. Wish I had never left!

Cons

Working Retail hours including late nights, weekends, and holidays

Old Navy Canada

Current Employee - Manager of Product and Market Strategy  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager of Product and Market Strategy in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The Gap full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Get the feel of a small company within a larger public corporation.
    Fun, quirky, atmosphere.

Cons

Many redundancies in systems.
    Issues with multiple systems across the product pipeline
    Constant turnover resulting in frequent holes in team

Need for streamlining of more processes.

Pretty good company, some cons, but many pros.

Current Employee - Store Specialist  in  Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Store Specialist in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at The Gap part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Employee discount across all Gap Inc. brands, opportunities for advancement across the different brands, the pay just increased for employees who have been with the company for at least six months to $9.00/hr. The hours are flexible and they will work with you if you have another job or if you are in school. The people that you work with are usually pretty nice. I have worked at an Old Navy and a Gap Outlet and I have to say that I like Gap a lot better. The customers aren't as messy or demanding in most cases. You can also where the clothes that you want to work as long as they don't blatantly show a different company on them. I proved that I was able to work in pretty much any department of the store (cashier, fitting room, sales floor, shipment, ect.) and I get at least 25 hours a week if not 30.

Cons

The pay increase didn't take into account if you had been with the company more than a year or two. I started out at $8.00 when I first started with the company, that was three years ago, so it doesn't really seem fair that someone who has only been with the company for six months gets paid the same amount as me. The holiday hours are starting to suck, because we are staying open later and opening earlier to accompany the jerks that want to go out shopping on Easter and Thanksgiving.

Adjust the pay for different employees accordingly, rather than just a flat rate for another that has been there at least six months. I know this is an issues that is really for the people higher up on the food chain, but with more people bringing it to your attention it is more likely that it will change for the better.

Fantastic experience!

Former Employee - Sales Associatele  in  Myrtle Beach, SC
    Former Employee - Sales Associatele in Myrtle Beach, SC

I worked at The Gap part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This company has great over all training! The management makes sure that you are confident and clear on your job assignments. great diversity in the staff, which leads to full customer satisfaction for the customer, and a feeling of accomplishment for the employees! Great " team" feel! Feeling like a part of a "FAMILY" is a great way to boost morale in a work environment! The GAP, INC. is excellent at building great teams within their store staff!!!

Cons

Our Asst. Mgr. did not always like to 'JUMP IN" to the project with the rest of the team, while the Mgr. was "hands on" with all tasks and projects. The very best managers join in with their staff and lead by example! Other than that, an overall, best job experience in retail! Thumbs up!!!

Full management team needs to always lead by example!

Great!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The Gap full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work environment. Beautiful HQ & lots of room to grow.

Cons

No cons come to mind.

Worked for The Gap? Contribute to the Community!