The Gap

Updated Jul 26, 2014

3.4 1,510 reviews

The Gap Chairman and CEO Glenn K. Murphy

Glenn K. Murphy

Pros
  • Gap has an extensive training program and meets everyone's work-life balance well(in 82 reviews)

• Good pay compared to other retail companies, along with good employee discount(in 163 reviews)

Cons
  • If you are looking for work/life balance then this could be the worst place to work(in 39 reviews)

• Constant pressure to aggravate guests with credit cards(in 87 reviews)

1,510 Employee Reviews

2nd time around and still good

Inventory Planning Analyst (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat work environment, great teamwork approach, career development is great, training is the best and always available, ROWE is a great perk

Conswork-life balance can be difficult, if leadership changes their mind it's expected to make changes regardless of the original plans that were set in place and if it doesn't work out, it ends up being something we did wrong

Advice to Senior Managementmore group outings to promote teamwork across all teams instead of immediate teams. there's no sense of true teamwork across brands.

Gap is great, great management, great customers.

ProsManagement is great, like a family. They really strive to see you succeed. You learn so much from working in retail, and you are treated like a person, not just an employee.

ConsThere is a lot going on "upstairs" that lower employees should know about, but are kept in the dark.

Salary Positions

Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) Fishkill, NY

ProsGood pay and great benefits

ConsNo work life balance. Work a lot of hours and there's no relief or care about the hours we work!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop delegating all your work and be more a part of the team to help resolve issues. Stop using the excuse of this is development for you.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

sales associate

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Brookline, MA

Prosgreat discount on clothes, great atmosphere to work in, interesting customers, great opportunity to practice customer service skills

Consthere are really no cons for this company

Love the involvement through a team. The co-workers and management are very friendly and nice.

Gap Sales Associate (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsThe pay is good for a retail position, compared to other stores like Hollister or A&F where you earn minimum wage.
    Hours are dispersed nicely, and breaks are given when they are supposed to be. I've had issues with this at previous companies.
    The training is also done very well, they don't just throw you out on the sales floor, although this can be a great way to learn at times.

ConsHoliday working, such as on Black Friday or close to Christmas gets hectic and stressful, but it is part of the business.

The Gap ROCKS!

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThis company really takes care of, and invests in their employees. They also do a lot to support their community.They offer lots of employee incentives throughout the year, and offer perks for those who go above and beyond their job requiremnts.

ConsThey seem to expect a lot of work with little staff to complete the work. They run short staffed a lot of the time which leads to poor customer service. They "push" their credit card on the customer and hammer in to their employees to push the card way to much.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more interest in your people, they matter! Take time to train and develop those employed before ging to outside resources to fill open or upcoming positions. This company stresses the importance of the employee, but sometimes does not follow through with their own core values.

Great company, good experience

Assistant General Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThey treat their employees good. Good pay and great benefits.

ConsMulti-tasking on very slim payroll. Hard to balance at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on payroll structure. You need to spend money(payroll) to make money.

Good Part-Time Job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPeople were friendly, good to work with.

ConsThe usual challenges of working in retail and dealing with difficult customers.

Loved It!!!

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsDiscount the managers were very helpful.

ConsNone really. Loved working there

Great

Prosgood people, good pay, great company.

ConsI have no cons, its a great company

Worked for The Gap? Contribute to the Community!