The Gap

3.5
1,720 Reviews

The Gap Chairman and CEO Glenn K. Murphy
Glenn K. Murphy

Pros
  • Flexible schedule provides a good work life balance, company is very involved with the community (in 90 reviews)

• Good pay compared to other retail companies, along with good employee discount (in 179 reviews)

Cons
  • If you are looking for work/life balance then this could be the worst place to work (in 45 reviews)

• Constant pressure to aggravate guests with credit cards (in 102 reviews)

More Highlights

Best retail job ever

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The Gap part-time (less than an year)

Pros

A lot of hours, fast pace, great co-workers, flexible scheduling, great pay, amazing discounts, no strict dress code

Cons

Getting people to sign up for Gap credit cards is a huge deal, but I worked at the flagship in San Francisco and it's really difficult because of the amount of foreign tourists.

Good short term, ok long term

I worked at The Gap

Pros

Good employee appreciation, good perks

Cons

Not much growth, typical retail pay

Promote from within

Definitely a great company to work for.

Current Employee - Denim Specialist in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Denim Specialist in Bronx, NY

I have been working at The Gap part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers, competitive pay, easy to catch on to the swing of things.

Cons

They are very precise when it comes to the stores presentation which can be very overwhelming for someone not used to that.

Fun

I worked at The Gap

Pros

I had great coworkers, good friends, some good perks, good hours. All in all it was a great place to work.

Cons

I had to get a whole new wardrobe to work here. Not typical ratty jeans and t shirts like engineers are used to wearing.

Great place to work!! Great employee discount, and good benefits as well. I recommend working at GAP.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at The Gap full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great discount, competitive pay, outreach programs to volunteer at, and just overall a fun place to work. Also getting to help people find exactly what they are looking for is a plus!

Cons

No cons at the moment!

Store Clerk

I have been working at The Gap part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved working for the GAP. The people were relatively friendly and the pay was decent compared to other mall jobs.

Cons

There were a bit of office politics going on. Nothing really to complain about. At the end of the day, it is a low wage mall job.

Work Environment Matters

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Aventura, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Aventura, FL

I worked at The Gap part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great team, friendly, and understanding; They offer great discounts up to 50%. The mangers are all really upbeat and friendly, they also appreciate a good worker when they see one. Promotions are given easily if one works for it. Very understanding in taking a day off or switching shifts, and coming in late is acceptable from time to time if calling ahead.

Cons

Gap cards are somewhat of a basis on the amount of hours you get, and long hours in closing shifts with folding and organizing the store.

Stay doing what you do.

My second home!

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at The Gap part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Positive work environment, flexible scheduling, easy to request off, great employee discount, almost everyone I have worked with automatically becomes family. Fun creating visual displays. Exciting to see all the new clothes come in! As a part-time employee they automatically set up a 401K for me.

Cons

Small pay raises, some employees seem to be trained in extra areas but don't receive an extra title or compensation, health benefits for part-time employees minimal or expensive.

Reward regular sales associates who also take on visual/merchandising roles; close your stores on Thanksgiving.

Fun, exhausting, Challenging

I have been working at The Gap

Pros

Great place to learn structure- in terms of merchandising. The entire Brand/Company feels the same when you visit any store. All stores tell the same story. Great brand, Fantastic Discount- Given the company just hired a new Creative Designer from COS/H&M. Pieces are more fashion forward or so called "Trending"

Cons

Lack of Pay and No life, absolutely no room for creativity especially if youre a VERY creative merchant or stylist and is very trendy and focussed on whats happening outside(on the streets)- This isnt the place for you...

Promote from within

Positive experience working part-time

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Greenwich, CT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Greenwich, CT

I worked at The Gap part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked part-time during the summers and found it to be a positive experience. Store managers have been there for years, and are very open to teaching you.

Cons

Compensation seems low, and overtime the employee discounts were not as attractive as they used to be.

For those working part-time (seemed to be the majority of the store), scheduling shifts could have been done in a way that seemed more flexible to those that may need a second job.