The Gap

3.5
1,548 Reviews

The Gap Chairman and CEO Glenn K. Murphy
Glenn K. Murphy

Pros
  • Gap has an extensive training program and meets everyone's work-life balance well (in 82 reviews)

• Good pay compared to other retail companies, along with good employee discount (in 163 reviews)

Cons
  • If you are looking for work/life balance then this could be the worst place to work (in 39 reviews)

• Constant pressure to aggravate guests with credit cards (in 87 reviews)

More Highlights

GAP

Former Employee - Engineering  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering in San Francisco, CA

Pros

changes in IT in recent years

Cons

transformation to IT delivery standards

Great quality of life

Former Employee - Real Estate Analyst  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Real Estate Analyst in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great perks, work/life balance. The offices, cafeteria and facilities are generally great. Fantastic co-workers as well.

Cons

Large organization with many layers of management. Office politics seem to hold things up at times. Even simple tasks like getting IT support can be a major headache.

Best retail job you'll have!

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

I've been working at baby GAP for the past 5 months and I couldn't be happier. The instant I got hired I was surrounded by amazing managers and co workers, they go out of their way to train you and teach you everything you need to know. They are super flexible with schedules and vacation days. On the events we have for GAP we go full out and it's so fun to work with people who are passionate about the company. Career opportunities are offered as well.

Cons

It was a bit stressful with how the management pushed us to sell the GAP credit cards - I considered myself a great sales associate but when it came to GAP cards that was one area that just didn't like. I've never had to go through a boot camp but apparently they exist to help associates sell more cards!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Gap is like Family!

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

Solid company. Very understanding. The community is great in helping and encouraging one another to grow. The training is easy to understand and very helpful when doing other things around the store.

Cons

None that I can think of!

Great company, great discount

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in New York, NY

Pros

Everything about this company was awesome... only if they paid a bit more.

Cons

Black friday is a killer

none

Good experience and quick training

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Managers were easy to work with and flexible with schedules. Training was quick and thorough. Nice employee discount.

Cons

Some fellow employees took retail a little too seriously (it's not rocket science). Needs better security from theft.

Training materials are dated.d

Great Place to work At if you can deal with the politics

Former Employee - Operations Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

As an level 12 Manager it was truly a great place to work. Everyone always friendly and goal orientated. They very flexible with work schedule. They pay was above avg.

Cons

Work life balance was not that great. Also all the tenured employees where all Friends so it was very hard to keep everything about work and work only. At this company if your like to keep to yourself you will not make it long. They want hangout with them doing and after work.

Do more surprise visits. When management know your coming we something end up spending way to much payroll. And how the store looks is not how it normally looks.

It's Alright

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL

Pros

Management and other employees are generally pretty helpful and warm to talk to. I've made some nice friends while working here. The pay is above minimum wage which is nice, and the discounts are superb. I've heard some major retail horror stories from friends I have at other jobs, and luckily the management at my job has been very approachable and encouraging for the most part. Working at the Gap has definitely provided me with a great taste of retail and allowed me to experience enough positions in store to understand what I enjoy about retail and what I dislike.

Cons

You have goals on the Gap card and pretty much have to shove it on customers constantly, which is annoying for them (especially if they are regular shoppers who know the benefits and don't want it) and it is annoying for the employee. If you don't get your minimum Gap cards enough weeks in a row it is "suggested" that you get some special training of some sort, which seems tedious for a job that pays slightly above minimum wage. Staffing can also be an issue as well. You'll either be working the floor alone and running around multi-tasking like crazy (doing go-backs, maintaining or closing down sections of the store, greeting customers, checking out customers and so on), or you'll be super slow and over-staffed and not have much to do. It isn't the worst thing and you get used to it, it would just be nice if it were more consistent.

Don't make the Gap card a seem like a "sell-it-or-else" kind of situation. You offer a rewards system for stores or sales associates who sell it well, so make it where the employee earns things through selling it which will make them want to sell it rather than making it a requirement of sorts where you are subject to remedial training sessions if you are performing poorly. Also, maybe schedule things a little differently?

Gap is great, great management, great customers.

Pros

Management is great, like a family. They really strive to see you succeed. You learn so much from working in retail, and you are treated like a person, not just an employee.

Cons

There is a lot going on "upstairs" that lower employees should know about, but are kept in the dark.

Great company, good experience

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager

Pros

They treat their employees good. Good pay and great benefits.

Cons

Multi-tasking on very slim payroll. Hard to balance at times.

Work on payroll structure. You need to spend money(payroll) to make money.

Worked for The Gap? Contribute to the Community!